What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2009 Rookie Draft Picks (1 Viewer)

Iron_Far

Footballguy
2009 Version of my 2008 thread from last year. Will update as much as possible.All commentary and opinions are welcomed.Here are my projected top 12 (first round of a 12 teamer) in your standard PPR/non-IDP league. UPDATED - January 2009 Update after all declarations:1. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State2. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech3. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia4. Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan St.5. Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa6. Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri7. Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia8. LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh9. Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland10. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida11. James Davis, RB, Clemson 12. Marlon Lucky, RB, NebraskaHave at it.

Aposulli's list below: I didn't want to start a list here until my 2008 list was pretty much final...Here is my top 12 with Juniors (*) and draft-eligible Sophmores (**)...1. DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma**2. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State*3. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia**4. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson*5. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech**6. James Davis, RB, Clemson7. Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland*8. Terry Grant, RB, Alabama**9. Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri**10. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida*11. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida*12. Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan StateBubble:Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia*Curtis Painter, QB, PurdueJake Locker, QB, Washington**Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma**Hunter Cantwell, QB, LouisvilleP.J. Hill, RB, Wisconsin*Keiland Williams, RB, LSU*Javarris James, RB, Miami (FL)*Marlon Lucky, RB, NebraskaArian Foster, RB, TennesseeMike Ford, RB, South Florida**Mike Goodson, RB, Texas A&M*Ian Johnson, RB, Boise StateKeegan Herring, RB, Arizona StateTyrell Sutton, RB, NorthwesternBrian Robiskie, WR, Ohio StateDemetrius Byrd, WR, LSUBrandon Lafell, WR, LSU*Aaron Kelly, WR, ClemsonOderick Turner, WR, Pittsburgh*Greg Matthews, WR, Michigan*Patrick Turner, WR, USCVidal Hazleton, WR, USC*David Ausberry, WR, USC**Pat White, WR?, West VirginiaTravis Beckum, TE, WisconsinMAC_32's list of IDP'sInside Linebackers1) Rey Maualuga USC - stud, plain and simple. Size, speed, tenacity, big play maker, explosive, physical, there isn't anything not to like in this kid's game...could use some fine tuning in pass coverage and needs to settle down at times but both are correctable. Like Patrick Willis could be a top 10 pick, very high for a LB. He has a very high ceiling and floor, at worst he's a big play maker that'll make some mistakes.2) Jasper Brinkley South Carolina - his reported timed speed doesn't match his on the field speed in my eyes, we'll have to wait and see but as of right now I think he is being very under rated by the masses. He looks to be back to full speed post knee injury, very athletic for his size. Probably won't be given a chance to be a 4-3 MIKE but would fit very well in the middle of a 3-4. Based on my readings looks like a day 2 pick but I think he'll pleasantly surprise whoever he falls to.3) James Laurinitis Ohio St - over rated, 2 down upside. He was viewed as top 10 last year, I think he's lost some of that luster but is still a perceived 1st rounder, which is still way too high in my eyes. Struggles mightily in pass coverage and has problems with better offensive linemen. Has great instincts and field awareness but I think he'll be over matched more often than not at the next level as I think his lack of athletic ability will catch up to him.4) Brandon Spikes Fla - He lacks sideline to sideline speed, can be a menace in the middle of the field but outside? Not so much. An average interior LB that I think will be over drafted (based on reading other opinions), you can find this type of talent deeper in the draft.5) Derry Beckwith LSU - Honestly, haven't seen why many are high on this kid's prospects, I see backup upside and that's it.6) Dannell Ellerbee Georgia - Like Beckwith, I came away unimpressedOthers I've read good things about but haven't watched - Worrel Williams Cal, Dave Phillistin Maryland, Gerald McRath Southern Miss, Pat Maynor Stanford, Daniel Holtzclaw Eastern Mich, Josh Mauga NevadaPlayer to watch - Scott McKillop PittOverall, I'm very unimpressed with the big school talent at ILB, I'll be trying to dig up as much small school info as I can because if there's going to be any quality NFL (and fantasy) talent at this position I think it will be out of those schools.Outside Linebackers - trying to keep the 3-4 OLB's listed under DE's1a) Brian Cushing USC - versatile, can play just about anywhere on the field down or up but I think he’s best fit as a SAM, love his instincts, great field awareness. I’d put him in the back end of round 1 as of right now. 1b) Aaron Curry Wake - brings a different type of game than Cushing, has a solid overall game but isn't the big play maker that Cushing is. Many question his instincts/awareness, I think they need to watch him play more. Seems like he could use some work on his technique shedding blockers but the instincts/awareness are there. 1st round pick, maybe top 20, depends on the combine.3) Marcus Freeman Ohio St - A better prospect than over hyped teammate Laurinitis in my eyes. Can cover sideline to sideline, has 3 down upside, and can play any LB position on the field. His pass coverage abilities are why I prefer him to Laurinitis.4) Clint Sintim Virginia - Only watched one UVA game and there's not much available to read on this kid or else he might be higher on my board, he was not blockable. Not sure how great of a run stopper he is - why he's below Freeman - but he's a terror on passing downs, in coverage too. 5) Sean Witherspoon Mizzou - An under rated tackle machine, Sintim looks like a better play maker but Witherspoon offers a lot of the same things Freeman does.6) Tyron McKenzie USF - Seemed to have a lot of hype entering the season, never really figured out why. He's solid against the run but will never be confused with a big play maker. An average backup at the next level, should be drafted accordingly too if my reading's are consistent with scout opinions.Others I've read good things about but haven't watched - Clayton Mullins Miami OH, Ian Campbell Kansas St, Willie Williams Louisville, Brian Toal BC (the internet boards love this guy, scouts seem to disagree...or just aren't writing about him)Player to watch - Daynal Briggs Bowling GreenOverall, appears to be quality depth at outside LB this year.If anyone has any feedback, additional input, or counters to my rankings of DE and LB it'd be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Underclassmen who could potentially break into that list if they declare:

Maclin, Missouri

Demarco Murray, Oklahoma

That freshman WR on Texas Tech who's breaking all the freshman WR records

I'm sure there are plenty of other guys who could declare early.

Underclassmen who could potentially break into that list if they declare:Maclin, MissouriDemarco Murray, OklahomaThat freshman WR on Texas Tech who's breaking all the freshman WR recordsI'm sure there are plenty of other guys who could declare early.
True freshman aren't eligible until 2010.Edit to add the TT frosh is Michael Crabtree.

2009 Version of my 2008 thread from last year. Will update as much as possible.All commentary and opinions are welcomed.Here are my projected top 12 (first round of a 12 teamer) in your standard non-IDP league. 1. Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas2. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State3. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson4. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers5. Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan6. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida7. Brandon Ore, RB, Virginia Tech8. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida9. Albert Young, RB, Iowa10. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida11. PJ Hill, RB, Wisconsin12. Greg Carr, WR, Florida StateHave at it.
Of these listed, I think Rice and Kevin smith will bethe closest to coming out in 2008. I will be surprised if Charles is the top back. I get a Tatum Bell vibe off of him as a pro.

Underclassmen who could potentially break into that list if they declare:That freshman WR on Texas Tech who's breaking all the freshman WR recordsI'm sure there are plenty of other guys who could declare early.
True freshman aren't eligible until 2010.Edit to add the TT frosh is Michael Crabtree.
We need a thread dedicated to Michael Crabtree. I came away impressed with him against Oklahoma.

Yea, Crabtree is a beast.

And don't forget Knowshon Moreno of Georgia. He's a redshirt freshman right now, so he'll be eligible next year. He reminds me of Cadillac Williams and will probably be a top 45 pick when he declares.

It's really too early to start thinking about 2009 though. Inevitably there will be lots of guys who emerge and rise up the rankings. Keep in mind that at this time last year Stewart and Mendenhall were just high profile guys who hadn't yet lived up to their billing. They rose up the charts. Some guys are going to do the same thing next season. It happens every year.

Gridiron King said:
I hope you are in my league. That list is a joke. You don't even have Mcfadden or Mindenhall in the top 12.
Whats the over/under on how long it takes Gridiron to come back and either apologize for just being too quick to bash, or to just say "oops"??I'll give it 2 pages......6 days.and I say the over. :(

Albert Young-RB Iowa is a senior this year. I am guessing he goes from round 4-6 in the drat. If Denver drafted him he would be great in that system. Good patient runner. Reads holes well and doesn't dance in a hole. Excellent hands. GREAT blocker in passing situations. He will only have ok speed in the NFL. 4.55-4.6ish. Because of his hands and blocking skills I can see him being a 3rd down back as a rookie. He has the body for 15-20 carries. He is a more complete RB than Ladell Betts.

PJ Hill will not be much as a pro. He is Ron Dayne lite. Both these guys dont have the speed to be good in the NFL and the lines they played with at college were better than most.

I like that Benn kid the WR from Illinois. I believe he is a true freshman though. He is Anquan Boldin with leaping ability.

2009 Version of my 2008 thread from last year. Will update as much as possible.

All commentary and opinions are welcomed.

Here are my projected top 12 (first round of a 12 teamer) in your standard non-IDP league.

1. Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas

2. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

3. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson

4. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers

5. Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan

6. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

7. Brandon Ore, RB, Virginia Tech

8. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

9. Albert Young, RB, Iowa

10. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida

11. PJ Hill, RB, Wisconsin

12. Greg Carr, WR, Florida State

Have at it.
Of these listed, I think Rice and Kevin smith will bethe closest to coming out in 2008. I will be surprised if Charles is the top back. I get a Tatum Bell vibe off of him as a pro.
Staying put until '09. That kid is a stud, and will stay throughout to break virtually every Florida RB record.

Any thoughts on Mike Goodson from Texas A&M?
Pure speed guy at the moment. He was not a regular part of offense during the year. Will need to prove he can carry the ball 20-25 times to be more than a RRBC/3rd down/change of pace guy. At the moment, do not see him coming out in 2009.

i know it has been argued ad nauseum, but no way Tebow will be that high a fantasy pick

he can't throw the football in a pro-set offense, just a fullback playing QB in spread offense

NFL burned by Alex Smith, won't happen again, he will be the 09 or '10 version of Quinn sitting in commish's personal room with no one picking him

Lash said:
i know it has been argued ad nauseum, but no way Tebow will be that high a fantasy pickhe can't throw the football in a pro-set offense, just a fullback playing QB in spread offenseNFL burned by Alex Smith, won't happen again, he will be the 09 or '10 version of Quinn sitting in commish's personal room with no one picking him
Even if he completely crashes and burns as a passer in the NFL (and I wouldn't be so quick to write him off), right now he's probably the best short-yardage back in the SEC. He's going to get so many goal-line carries that his fantasy value will be very solid with even marginal passing numbers.Most importantly, he has all the physical tools. He has a tremendous arm, and he has tremendous work ethic. He doesn't have any flaws that aren't coachable. He may not have had to throw out of a pro-style offense yet, but that certainly doesn't mean that he CAN'T. There is no reason to believe that, at this point, Tebow is incapable of being a pro-style dropback QB. Just because we haven't seen him do it doesn't mean he can't.If Tim Tebow gets drafted in the top half of the first round, then I think he's actually underrated on that list. If Tebow is a top-10 pick, I might be tempted to burn a top-2 or top-3 rookie pick on him, because that short-yardage rushing ability is going to be a fantasy goldmine in the pros.

Lash said:
i know it has been argued ad nauseum, but no way Tebow will be that high a fantasy pickhe can't throw the football in a pro-set offense, just a fullback playing QB in spread offenseNFL burned by Alex Smith, won't happen again, he will be the 09 or '10 version of Quinn sitting in commish's personal room with no one picking him
Even if he completely crashes and burns as a passer in the NFL (and I wouldn't be so quick to write him off), right now he's probably the best short-yardage back in the SEC. He's going to get so many goal-line carries that his fantasy value will be very solid with even marginal passing numbers.Most importantly, he has all the physical tools. He has a tremendous arm, and he has tremendous work ethic. He doesn't have any flaws that aren't coachable. He may not have had to throw out of a pro-style offense yet, but that certainly doesn't mean that he CAN'T. There is no reason to believe that, at this point, Tebow is incapable of being a pro-style dropback QB. Just because we haven't seen him do it doesn't mean he can't.If Tim Tebow gets drafted in the top half of the first round, then I think he's actually underrated on that list. If Tebow is a top-10 pick, I might be tempted to burn a top-2 or top-3 rookie pick on him, because that short-yardage rushing ability is going to be a fantasy goldmine in the pros.
If a team is drafting him as a QB, he wont be getting that many running plays. Some here and there sure, but QBs in the NFL are too hard to replace to have them running all the time.

If a team is drafting him as a QB, he wont be getting that many running plays. Some here and there sure, but QBs in the NFL are too hard to replace to have them running all the time.
Not all the time, just all the time at the goal line. Goal-line plays are too important for a team to use anyone except their best player, and for the majority of NFL teams, Tim Tebow would be their best goal-line runner. Expect to see a lot of short-yardage scores out of Tim Tebow in the NFL. Not a lot of carries in the middle of the field (except maybe in key short-yardage situations, such as 4th-and-1), but tons in the red zone.

I'm confused why this matters at all right now? We're not even close to the 2008 draft. Why start speculating about the 2009 one, when its possible some guys could enter the '08 draft? Seems fairly pointless at this point.

I'm confused why this matters at all right now? We're not even close to the 2008 draft. Why start speculating about the 2009 one, when its possible some guys could enter the '08 draft? Seems fairly pointless at this point.
Some people play in developmental leagues, where you're allowed to draft college players. To me this thread is very useful.

broncofan13000 said:
falcoatl said:
Some people play in developmental leagues, where you're allowed to draft college players. To me this thread is very useful.
Exactly, we are allowed one college player on our rosters. I drafted Jamaal Charles last spring, looks like I'll be holding him until 2009.

broncofan13000 said:
falcoatl said:
Exactly, we are allowed one college player on our rosters. I drafted Jamaal Charles last spring, looks like I'll be holding him until 2009.
Also, some leagues allow draft picks 2 years out or the 2009 will be available once the 2008 fantasy season begins which can be as early as the fantasy Superbowl in some leagues. While very inexact, still need to attepmt to guage value in in some manner.

Not all the time, just all the time at the goal line. Goal-line plays are too important for a team to use anyone except their best player, and for the majority of NFL teams, Tim Tebow would be their best goal-line runner. Expect to see a lot of short-yardage scores out of Tim Tebow in the NFL. Not a lot of carries in the middle of the field (except maybe in key short-yardage situations, such as 4th-and-1), but tons in the red zone.
Cant imagine any team relying on him as their primary goalline back if he's playing QB. Things get ugly in those piles. Sure, I expect him to get more plunges than an average QB, but I hardly expect him to be a goalline vulture.

Cant imagine any team relying on him as their primary goalline back if he's playing QB. Things get ugly in those piles. Sure, I expect him to get more plunges than an average QB, but I hardly expect him to be a goalline vulture.
He wouldn't be the first QB used extensively at the goal line. Check out Daunte Culpepper's 2002 season for more details.Look, Tebow is a running QB. That's a fact of life. He is an incredibly powerful individual with an amazing talent for pushing piles and moving the ball. Regardless of how worried a coach was about injuring him, he'd be stupid to completely ignore such a unique and wonderfully developed skillset. When the QB runs the football, it's essentially like having 12 men on offense. On a normal running play, you've got 9 blockers, the carrier, and the QB. When the QB is the ballcarrier, that gives you 10 blockers, which is essentially an extra man.Not letting Tebow run because of the risk of injury would be like not letting Hester return kicks because injuries happen at a very high rate on special teams. If a team drafts Tebow, they're drafting him in large part for his running skills, and they will most certainly utilize those running skills. They might not go too heavy on the running, sparing Tebow the less meaningful carries, but as far as the important carries go, Tebow's going to get more than his fair share... and as far as important carries go, it's hard to find any more important than carries at the goal line.

imo, Michael Crabtree won't be much a pro.
You'll certainly be getting a lot of disagreement on that. I saw him against Oklahoma and he definitely doesn't look like just another product of the system.Edit: Out of curiosity, what do you base that on, other than the fact that he plays for Texas Tech?

jasonbay said:
imo he's nothing but a product of the system, also I doubt he leaves his Junior year. We will see.
No way. I saw him play in Austin this year. He scared the hell out of me everytime he touched the ball or if Harrell even looked his direction. He gets seperation and YAC just like Wes Welker did at TT (I couldn't wait for Welker to graduate and I can't wait for Crabtree to move on). In addition, he is a very physical WR, something like 6'3" and 210lbs. I think his stats are padded because of the system he plays in, but trust me, this guy is talented.

He wouldn't be the first QB used extensively at the goal line. Check out Daunte Culpepper's 2002 season for more details.Look, Tebow is a running QB. That's a fact of life. He is an incredibly powerful individual with an amazing talent for pushing piles and moving the ball. Regardless of how worried a coach was about injuring him, he'd be stupid to completely ignore such a unique and wonderfully developed skillset. When the QB runs the football, it's essentially like having 12 men on offense. On a normal running play, you've got 9 blockers, the carrier, and the QB. When the QB is the ballcarrier, that gives you 10 blockers, which is essentially an extra man.Not letting Tebow run because of the risk of injury would be like not letting Hester return kicks because injuries happen at a very high rate on special teams. If a team drafts Tebow, they're drafting him in large part for his running skills, and they will most certainly utilize those running skills. They might not go too heavy on the running, sparing Tebow the less meaningful carries, but as far as the important carries go, Tebow's going to get more than his fair share... and as far as important carries go, it's hard to find any more important than carries at the goal line.
Do you see a team becoming a QBBC, with a QB that comes in specifically for the red zone? Similar to what Arizona did this year. I agree with you about Tebow tho, I think he could find some success in the NFL with the right coach and team.

imo he's nothing but a product of the system, also I doubt he leaves his Junior year. We will see.
No way. I saw him play in Austin this year. He scared the hell out of me everytime he touched the ball or if Harrell even looked his direction. He gets seperation and YAC just like Wes Welker did at TT (I couldn't wait for Welker to graduate and I can't wait for Crabtree to move on). In addition, he is a very physical WR, something like 6'3" and 210lbs. I think his stats are padded because of the system he plays in, but trust me, this guy is talented.
imo he's nothing but a product of the system
Again, out of curiosity, what are you basing that on?
gut feeling, that's fine you guys have your opinion and I have mine, too each there own.

imo he's nothing but a product of the system
Again, out of curiosity, what are you basing that on?
gut feeling, that's fine you guys have your opinion and I have mine, too each there own.
Since Crabtree looks to have the physical goods and is even more productive than the true "products" of the system" that you were making the bold claim based on something we all could observe and potentially learn from.

Agreed that Crabtree is going to be a stud - he might be my favorite WR in the college ranks right now.
Absolutely. Me too. Make no mistake about it. I mentioned Crabtree weeks ago in a thread asking for college prospects NOT coming out next year. Everybody seemed to scroll right past it.To call him a product of the system is ridiculous. The only thing you can possibly attribute to the system is his numbers, not his talent. If you had the opportunity to watch him play, it stands out that he is far more talented than anybody else on the field. No question he is the real deal.

If Tim Tebow gets drafted in the top half of the first round, then I think he's actually underrated on that list. If Tebow is a top-10 pick, I might be tempted to burn a top-2 or top-3 rookie pick on him, because that short-yardage rushing ability is going to be a fantasy goldmine in the pros.
I think he will, and I'll be angling for him in my dynasty drafts. I would vaguely compare Tebow to VY - he's not as elusive as VY, but his running ability is just as valuable for fantasy, especially because as SSOG has pointed out, he can not be denied in the red zone. Also, like VY, the way he gets it done ain't pretty, but it sure is effective, and he seems to will his team to wins - he has the QB leadership intangible that a lot of NFL clubs could use right now. He has also improved as a passer as the year has gone on, and should continue to improve. As long as his pro OC is creative, and doesn't tinker too much with him, Tebow should be a QB1 for fantasy once he arrives.

2009 Version of my 2008 thread from last year. Will update as much as possible.All commentary and opinions are welcomed.Here are my projected top 12 (first round of a 12 teamer) in your standard non-IDP league. 1. Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas2. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State3. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson4. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers5. Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan6. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida7. Brandon Ore, RB, Virginia Tech8. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida9. Marlon Lucky, RB, Nebraska10. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida11. PJ Hill, RB, Wisconsin12. Greg Carr, WR, Florida StateHave at it.
You are obviously making some assumptions about players that will leave early in 2008...i.e. you have no Darren McFadden or Rashard Mendenhall or James Stewart or Steve Slaton or Felix Jones on here...if that is the case then you also should take out Ray Rice and Mario Manningham too...they both have every bit as much of a chance to leave early. Of the ones you have listed, I think Chris Wells will be the best...I'm not really sold on Jamaal Charles yet...and I think Davis will be a better back than Spiller in the NFL...

Multiple newspaper articles here in Lubbock during the season quoting Crabtree's dad saying that Michael will take off after next year. He was a redshirt freshman this year, so he could leave if he wanted to. It will all depend what he does next season.

Users who are viewing this thread