What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (1 Viewer)

Gibbs and Snyder talking now.

21 patch on jersey and 21 will be on every helmet in the NFL.

Asked about whether they'll try to get next Thursday night's game delayed to Sunday or whether they've considered asking that this Sunday's game be moved, Snyder just said that he's only been back in DC for 1.5 hours and hasn't had a chance to think about any of that stuff.

Gibbs: God made him to play football...Sean felt like the football field is where he belonged...Always asked to do more, play WR, etc.
Honest question.Was this done for Darrent Williams or Damian Nash?
No, and as a 'Skins fan I think it's excessive. Put it on the 'Skins' helmets and leave it at that.

Asked about whether they'll try to get next Thursday night's game delayed to Sunday or whether they've considered asking that this Sunday's game be moved, Snyder just said that he's only been back in DC for 1.5 hours and hasn't had a chance to think about any of that stuff.

Gibbs: God made him to play football...Sean felt like the football field is where he belonged...Always asked to do more, play WR, etc.
i know it wasn't done for Marquis Hill

i know it wasn't done for Marquis Hill
Exactly, only the teammates were the ones who bore the number of the fallen player.I'm not sure that I think this is a good idea, making EVERY player wear 21.

Horrible Horrible News....

My wishes go with the family and those connected to Sean Taylor.

RIP Sean Taylor

A man with so much more to contribute on the field with the Washington Redskins, and especially off of the field with his new family.

Truly a tragedy.

I have avoided this thread like the plague but I just can't not post on here.

Sean Taylor was one of the all time best to ever wear a Canes Jersey...his NFL career cut short unfortunately. As a lifelong Miami Hurricanes fan and now having my wife work for the University as well, the campus was pretty eery today. I don't know what he did to deserve that kind of horrific end to his life and while many in here want to ride that dark bandwagon and speculate, I can't. I do know that he was great in the community and did a lot for people that were less fortunate than him. Gibbs was right, Sean Taylor was made to play football.

I hope the board can just let it go at that.

RIP Sean

Football question:I asked before but maybe nobody knows, but what happens to a contract of a deceased player after the year? Does the signing bonus still count next year, whatever amount it may be? Is it like a retired player... how does that work as well? Does the contract simply disappear off the record books now?
After a lot of searching, I believe I'm correct in saying that there is no provision in the CBA that deals specifically with player death. So it would probably be handled under the same conditions for any other non-football injury:
Section 3. Non-Football Injury: A player who is placed on a Non-Football Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”) willnot be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, hiscontract will continue to run while in such status.A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contracttolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regularseason game, the club must pay the player his negotiated salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in orderto toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off NF/I during the period when such action is allowed byLeague rules, his contract will not be tolled.
Assuming the team wouldn't engage in the callous act of trying to recoup some of his signing bonus, the amount they paid him would have to hit their cap next year, the same as for any other situation where a player leaves a team. That's as far as I know and in agreement with what I've found from googling. Though I didn't find anything from a truly definitive source, it all came from amateur readers of the CBA like myself.

RIP Sean Taylor.

If God himself were to make a safety, he couldn't do better than Sean Taylor.

I never met the man, but when I woke up this morning, I somehow "knew" he had passed. It was very eery.

I wish the best for his family, and it won't be the same watching the Skins play, knowing that Taylor will never be on the field again. What a horrible tragedy.

Football question:I asked before but maybe nobody knows, but what happens to a contract of a deceased player after the year? Does the signing bonus still count next year, whatever amount it may be? Is it like a retired player... how does that work as well? Does the contract simply disappear off the record books now?
After a lot of searching, I believe I'm correct in saying that there is no provision in the CBA that deals specifically with player death. So it would probably be handled under the same conditions for any other non-football injury:
Section 3. Non-Football Injury: A player who is placed on a Non-Football Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”) willnot be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, hiscontract will continue to run while in such status.A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contracttolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regularseason game, the club must pay the player his negotiated salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in orderto toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off NF/I during the period when such action is allowed byLeague rules, his contract will not be tolled.
Assuming the team wouldn't engage in the callous act of trying to recoup some of his signing bonus, the amount they paid him would have to hit their cap next year, the same as for any other situation where a player leaves a team. That's as far as I know and in agreement with what I've found from googling. Though I didn't find anything from a truly definitive source, it all came from amateur readers of the CBA like myself.
Thanks for doing the searching. I could not find anything either. Overall just curious.

As a lifelong Skins fan, I have never been so emotional over the loss of someone I didn't even know. I followed Taylor as a freshman at Miami and was immediately drawn to his passion and flare for the game. It was a dream come true the day the Skins drafted him and now this is an unbelievable nightmare. My heart goes out to the Taylor family and his teammates past and present. I'll never forget Sean Taylor. RIP #21

Gun violence kills thousands each year in this country. We generally ignore it unless a celebrity like Sean Taylor is killed. It's a terrible, terrible, thing, but perhaps his death will wake us up to the all too easy access to firearms in America. IMO
1st off I dont own a gun.BUT , theres a county in Georgia that requires you to have a firearm and since the rule was brought into effect the crime rate not only plummeted but its the lowest crime rate in Georgia now. The problem is gun laws only further prevent law biding citizen from gaining access and not the criminals who are predominantly getting their weapons illegally off the black market.
I don't want to get into a gun owners argument here. I don't have any solutions to this problem. I'm just saying it's really sad that there is such easy access to guns for bad people, and it leads to so much gun violence. If there were some way to take the guns away from the bad guys, but leave them in the hands of responisble adults, I'd be all for it. I don't know how to do that, so I lean towards more restrictive laws for everybody. I'd like to see less innocent people die. End of soapbox.
I like how you totally ignore his point here about the county with easy access to guns having a lack of crime.
There's a huge 8+ page thread in the FFA on this. Please take this there.

As a lifelong, diehard, Eagles fan, I am certainly no fan of the Skins, nor was I a fan of Sean Taylor, but my heart bleeds for Redskins fans everywhere. I live in Skins country, and it isn't the same right now.

Very sad. :rolleyes:

I wasn't a fan of Sean Taylor for his past transgressions but he did not deserve this fate at all. It's good to know that he did turn his life around and was headed down the right path, makes it even worse that it ends like this for him. The Redskins will have a real tough time replacing this guy, he was truly in the highest tier of safeties in the NFL.

RIP Sean Taylor

No, and as a 'Skins fan I think it's excessive. Put it on the 'Skins' helmets and leave it at that.
Help me remember. Didn't they do this league wide for one week with Pat Tillman's number? But just one week for everyone? Wasn't Jake Plummer wanting to continue wearing it what caused the problem?J

Michael Wilbon isn't trying to make friends. He would have been banned in the Shark Pool for these comments:

McLean, Va.: Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No ... people's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7112000544.html

Help me remember. Didn't they do this league wide for one week with Pat Tillman's number? But just one week for everyone? Wasn't Jake Plummer wanting to continue wearing it what caused the problem?J
That sounds right, Joe. The thing is, Tillman had forgone millions in NFL salary to go serve his country and died in the field, a very honorable thing. Taylor is a simple crime victim. I don't see them as being equivalent in terms of how much the NFL needs to honor them, and I'm obviously not bashing Taylor here.

That sounds right, Joe. The thing is, Tillman had forgone millions in NFL salary to go serve his country and died in the field, a very honorable thing. Taylor is a simple crime victim. I don't see them as being equivalent in terms of how much the NFL needs to honor them, and I'm obviously not bashing Taylor here.
I understand. Different situations for sure. Was just trying to remember precedent there. I personally would say making every player on every team wear a decal is too much. Just feels more right to me to keep this to a Washington thing.J

Last edited by a moderator:

You're right about everyone wearing the number and it was for one week, while the Cardinals wore it the entire year, as well as retired the number. Jake, continuing to wear the number, did cause an issue with the No Fun League. from wiki

On Sunday, September 19, 2004, all teams of the NFL wore a memorial decal on their helmets in honor of Pat Tillman. The Arizona Cardinals continued to wear this decal throughout the 2004 season. Former Cardinals quarterback Jake Plummer requested to also wear the decal for the entire season but the NFL turned him down saying his helmet would not be uniform with the rest of the Denver Broncos. Plummer would later grow a full beard and his hair long in honor of Tillman, who had such a style in the NFL before cutting his hair and shaving his beard off to fit military uniform guidelines. Plummer, now retired in the NFL, has since gone back to cutting his hair short but maintains the beard.

But honoring Tillman is a whole different story, the guy died for our country. I don't think this is the right thing to do with Taylor, especially with so many questions surrounding his death and if a less than stellar past played a role in it.

In a worst case scenario, this whole thing could blow up in the face of the NFL like a mini version of WWE/Chris Benoit if the truth comes out and that truth paints Taylor in a less than favorable light. He obviously didn't kill anyone, like Benoit did, but the NFL is doing everything it can to seperate itself from a thug image and if being a thug played a role in his death, it would be foolish for the league to honor him as a whole.

If I were Goodell, I would allow the Redskins to do what they want to honor him for the season. I would also allow a one week pass for any players from other teams to pay their respects on gameday with a decal, or something within reason, while not mandating that everyone does it.

You're right about everyone wearing the number and it was for one week, while the Cardinals wore it the entire year, as well as retired the number. Jake, continuing to wear the number, did cause an issue with the No Fun League. from wiki

On Sunday, September 19, 2004, all teams of the NFL wore a memorial decal on their helmets in honor of Pat Tillman. The Arizona Cardinals continued to wear this decal throughout the 2004 season. Former Cardinals quarterback Jake Plummer requested to also wear the decal for the entire season but the NFL turned him down saying his helmet would not be uniform with the rest of the Denver Broncos. Plummer would later grow a full beard and his hair long in honor of Tillman, who had such a style in the NFL before cutting his hair and shaving his beard off to fit military uniform guidelines. Plummer, now retired in the NFL, has since gone back to cutting his hair short but maintains the beard.

But honoring Tillman is a whole different story, the guy died for our country. I don't think this is the right thing to do with Taylor, especially with so many questions surrounding his death and if a less than stellar past played a role in it.

In a worst case scenario, this whole thing could blow up in the face of the NFL like a mini version of WWE/Chris Benoit if the truth comes out and that truth paints Taylor in a less than favorable light. He obviously didn't kill anyone, like Benoit did, but the NFL is doing everything it can to seperate itself from a thug image and if being a thug played a role in his death, it would be foolish for the league to honor him as a whole.

If I were Goodell, I would allow the Redskins to do what they want to honor him for the season. I would also allow a one week pass for any players from other teams to pay their respects on gameday with a decal, or something within reason, while not mandating that everyone does it.
I'm not worried about PR blowback here - it's tough to imagine anything remotely similar to Benoit here - but I agree with the rest of what you say.

I think this is the right answer. J

Michael Wilbon isn't trying to make friends. He would have been banned in the Shark Pool for these comments:

McLean, Va.: Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No ... people's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

Wilbon is a troll.Seriously.

Wilbon is a troll.Seriously.
Wilbon is saying that Sean taylor isn't a saint or a thug. In death some with deflect any criticism or forget transgressions of an individual while others will paint the deceased as a bad guy who got what he had coming to him. Neither of these depictions is true and both are unfair and inaccurate, Sean Taylor is no different. He made some mistakes but also did some great things in his short life. Wilbon's point makes sense to me, even if it comes off as callous to some.

There's a mighty big difference between Wilbon saying he's not surprised because of Sean's background, and some shark pool tool saying that Sean 'got what he deserved'. I'm not a Wilbon apologist, but IMO this wouldn't have gotten him banned. I think Wilbon is making a connection between violence and thuggery in society and how pervasive it is becoming in pop culture and carrying over to the high profile lifestyles of celebrity and/or professional athletics. It's an alarming trend that has become frequent enough that it no longer surprises him. At least that's how I'm taking it...

In death some with deflect any criticism or forget transgressions of an individual while others will paint the deceased as a bad guy who got what he had coming to him. Neither of these depictions is true and both are unfair and inaccurate,
You're right in that regard. What makes conversation a bit difficult right after a death is the level of emotion involved. Grieving pretty much has to happen then, not weeks later, whereas criticism will keep until any time in the future.

I started reading this thread thinking that Sean Taylor, despite this incident, would be back on the field again. Maybe thats TV distorting things, or even the hospital, but I expected him to play again.

That obviously is not the case. I'll admit, I never held him in the highest regards as a person, but he wasn't on the Pacman or Chris Henry rung (maybe 1 or 2 below). Despite that, I always respected him as a player.

I think I speak in the majority when I say Im not a Skins fan, nor a U Miami fan, but this is just tragic. I think the fact that he was probably a Top 5 Safety makes this bigger news than Darrent Williams is justified, but this man was shot down in his own house. I wont bring up things getting cameras, security guards, a posse up because it really pointless. You really shouldnt need that to live your life. If ST's case, I think I may be wrong.

I think probably his past did catch up with him. This was no burglary, if it was, they woulda stole the stuff 5 days or whatever ago when they were there first. In my mind, they went in there trying to get Taylor, maybe Im wrong, but either way I hope they get the bastads.

Hopefully though, this death is not in vain and future players, whether professional or college, remember this and leave their past far, far behind them.

RIP SEAN TAYLOR...JACK 'EM UP :football:

Rogi said:

have you heard of "freedom of speech" ?

Rogi said:

Yes, I have. The comment about being banned in the Shark Pool was sarcasm. JohnnyU said essentially the same thing as Wilbon in fewer words and was shut down earlier. I think he was saying what 90% of you are thinking but are afraid to say.

I think the decal thing, (with every team wearing them this week), could have alot to do with the Miami connection. There are so many Miami players scattered throughout the league, and you know they're a very close nit group. Players throughout the league want to do something in memory of Sean. Whats wrong with that? He was/is simply a more popular player than some of the other young NFL men, who have tradgically lost their lives. It happens all the time, when your well-known, they are more people effected, and it doesn't matter what your profession is.

Rogi said:

Yes, I have. The comment about being banned in the Shark Pool was sarcasm. JohnnyU said essentially the same thing as Wilbon in fewer words and was shut down earlier.
ah, ok sorry

I think he was saying what 90% of you are thinking but are afraid to say.
exactlythis is the problem with our society....it's full of hypocrites

I heard on the radio that the "21" patch will be worn by the Redskins for the rest of the year. There was no mention of the entire league wearing the patch. Also found this on Yahoo:

"Redskins owner Dan Snyder said his players will remember Taylor by wearing a patch on their jerseys and the safety's No. 21 on their helmets when they return to the field. "

Yes, I have. The comment about being banned in the Shark Pool was sarcasm. JohnnyU said essentially the same thing as Wilbon in fewer words and was shut down earlier. I think he was saying what 90% of you are thinking but are afraid to say.
Please don't feel any need to speak for me or what I was thinking. Because you are dead wrong. 90% of us are saying EXACTLY what we think, that this is a traggic loss. We aren't interested is appointing blame right now.

Rogi said:

why would he not last in the Shark Pool?! :tinfoilhat: Taylor was a thug until maybe 2 years ago..he has a criminal past, and allegations of assault and brandishing a weapon(handgun) at a crowd of people, and illegal possession of a handgun, etc..

all Wilbon was saying is, 'you live by the sword, you die by the sword', and he's 100% correct..

was there a moment of silence for that person who was killed by Ray Lewis' friend during the SB week a few years ago?

was there a moment of silence in St Louis for the woman ( a mother and wife) who was killed by a drunk driver who happened to be the Rams DE, Leonard Little?

was there a moment of silence across the NFL , for Rodney Culver, after he tragically lost his life in that ValuJet crash in Florida years ago?

Frankly, some of these posts in here, are much worse than anything Wilbon said..we have people saying 'I've watched him play football since he was a freshman at the U, he was great!'..`I'm saddened as a Redskins fan` bla bla bla.is that ALL people care about,that he was a good football player?! would they care about his death had he NOT played football?! what would ST be doing if he was not in the NFL? he'd probably be doing what he's always done, running with the criminals and the felons..

there's a lot more to life, than football..we don't need to put people on pedestals because they are athletes. we shouldn't excuse their misdeeds simply because they are athletes or because they are famous..he CHOSE to live that lifestyle, no one forced him into it.its a tragedy for sure, no doubt about it... but as Wilbon says, hardly a surprising...

I can understand a moment of silence across the NFL for Tillman, but for Sean Taylor? not so much...

I heard on the radio that the "21" patch will be worn by the Redskins for the rest of the year. There was no mention of the entire league wearing the patch. Also found this on Yahoo:"Redskins owner Dan Snyder said his players will remember Taylor by wearing a patch on their jerseys and the safety's No. 21 on their helmets when they return to the field. "
Yes, I think Snyder simply misspoke at one point in yesterday's PC. The Redskins will wear a 21 on their jersey and helmet. The entire league will have a moment of silence before every game.I heard the Cowboys have asked the Redskins if it would be okay to wear 21 on their helmets tomorrow night. The Cowboys and their fans are making it pretty hard to hate them the last couple days. :rolleyes:

JohnnyU said essentially the same thing as Wilbon in fewer words and was shut down earlier. I think he was saying what 90% of you are thinking but are afraid to say.
Since we're telling the truth here, no, JohnnyU didn't say the same thing at all. Wilbon wrote a (at least minimally) thoughtful column. Johnny spit one insult. To be even more clear: Wilbon's column essentially says Taylor's death wasn't surprising to him. JohnnyU's comment essentially said Taylor deserved it.

I heard on the radio that the "21" patch will be worn by the Redskins for the rest of the year. There was no mention of the entire league wearing the patch. Also found this on Yahoo:"Redskins owner Dan Snyder said his players will remember Taylor by wearing a patch on their jerseys and the safety's No. 21 on their helmets when they return to the field. "
Yes, I think Snyder simply misspoke at one point in yesterday's PC. The Redskins will wear a 21 on their jersey and helmet. The entire league will have a moment of silence before every game.I heard the Cowboys have asked the Redskins if it would be okay to wear 21 on their helmets tomorrow night. The Cowboys and their fans are making it pretty hard to hate them the last couple days. :moneybag:
Seriously dude.......if this happened to Ware or TNew I would be a mess. All (OK 98% of us) Cowboys fans just want to show you guys we care. The rivalry is heated yes, but based on respect as well. It's very much like sibling rivalry lots of angst and respect. I am really proud of our fans and the whole organization for how we have reacted to this. There was some smattering of talk that R Will was going to ask Jones to switch #'s for his 21 for this game. I don't think it's going to happen. Rest assured the Cowboys will set the tone for the week and give ST his proper and due recognition. So sad though. Better days ahead DGreen!!!Hang in there bud.

The Miami Herald says police have no leads yet, but have upgraded the urgency of their investigation (naturally) since it's no longer a breakin investigation but is a homicide investigation.

Technicians had dusted for fingerprints and other evidence. The work was submitted to Miami-Dade's lab but had yet to be processed because residential burglaries usually don't take priority. After Taylor's death, however, the lab will work on it immediately, said Miami-Dade Detective Robert Williams, a spokesman.

''It's a homicide, and we want to gather as many clues as we possibly can in order to identify the person who might have committed this crime,'' Williams said.
Also.
Police had no description of a possible suspect and were investigating whether the shooting was connected to a break-in at Taylor's home eight days earlier, in which police said someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed.

"They're going to be looking at every angle," Miami-Dade Police spokesman Alvaro Zabaleta said. "They're going to be looking at every lead."

Authorities from Miami-Dade Police and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were in and out of Taylor's home Tuesday. Police were seen taking a computer from Taylor's home.

I heard the Cowboys have asked the Redskins if it would be okay to wear 21 on their helmets tomorrow night. The Cowboys and their fans are making it pretty hard to hate them the last couple days. :moneybag:
There are kind and decent people who are Cowboy fans, and fans of every team. Millions of them.

I just had to say something since there is alot of speculation out there as to how things played out:

One story says his home was broken into approx 1 week earlier but nothing was taken...just rifled through some drawers and, not sure how accurate this is, they left a knife on his pillow...a sign that this wasn't a random act?

A few things strike me as :confused: here...if it was a robbery, why was nothing taken? Could these have been people that Taylor knew and they were looking for something specific? They broke in (is there even any proof that the house was "broken" into on the first incident?) and took nothing? Did they have access to the house? Hmmmmm...

Another story says on the second "break in" Taylor heard some jostling downstairs so he got up to lock the bedroom door. News crews say the phone wires were "cut" but police say they weren't. Yet Taylors girlfriend couldn't get the home phones to work and she could only get a line using her cell phone?

Why would Taylor be trying to lock the door? I'm sure he had a handgun in his home, why not reach for that? Perhaps he knew the people that were in his home so he didn't want to resort to using a gun?

Reports say he got a knife (or machete) before trying to lock the door. How many people keep a machete under their bed or in a nighstand?!?!? Especially with toddlers in the house!

Something just ain't right here. I don't think it was a random act of robbery at all. I think these were people that had some beef with Taylor from some prior events and they came to kill him...plain and simple. They snuck in at night to kill him in his sleep but when they realized he was at his bedroom door they got scared and started "shooting sloppy" as they were running away. The stories aren't adding up.

It's sad that he had to pass in such a horrible way. That bullet hit the most vital part of his leg...a lucky/unlucky shot.

This is truly sad and disturbing and I hope they get all the facts they need to put these people behind bars!

Rogi said:

why would he not last in the Shark Pool?! :lmao: Taylor was a thug until maybe 2 years ago..he has a criminal past, and allegations of assault and brandishing a weapon(handgun) at a crowd of people, and illegal possession of a handgun,

etc..all Wilbon was saying is, 'you live by the sword, you die by the sword', and he's 100% correct..

was there a moment of silence for that person who was killed by Ray Lewis' friend during the SB week a few years ago?

was there a moment of silence in St Louis for the woman ( a mother and wife) who was killed by a drunk driver who happened to be the Rams DE, Leonard Little?

was there a moment of silence across the NFL , for Rodney Culver, after he tragically lost his life in that ValuJet crash in Florida years ago?

Frankly, some of these posts in here, are much worse than anything Wilbon said..we have people saying 'I've watched him play football since he was a freshman at the U, he was great!'..`I'm saddened as a Redskins fan` bla bla bla.is that ALL people care about,that he was a good football player?! would they care about his death had he NOT played football?! what would ST be doing if he was not in the NFL? he'd probably be doing what he's always done, running with the criminals and the felons..

there's a lot more to life, than football..we don't need to put people on pedestals because they are athletes. we shouldn't excuse their misdeeds simply because they are athletes or because they are famous..he CHOSE to live that lifestyle, no one forced him into it.its a tragedy for sure, no doubt about it... but as Wilbon says, hardly a surprising...

I can understand a moment of silence across the NFL for Tillman, but for Sean Taylor? not so much...
It is legal to bare arms in this country still, yes? His father is thepolice chief for a city down here in South Florida so he probably grew up around guns most of his life...I don't want to start a fight but I think your opinion of Sean Taylor is short sighted...he also entered the NFL at age 20 IIRC so he was pretty young too. I guess being young, rich, having the world in the palm of your hand...you would never make a mistake with that kind of POV...as you were.

Steeler07 said:
redman said:
The thing is, Tillman had forgone millions in NFL salary to go serve his country and died in the field, a very honorable thing. Taylor is a simple crime victim. I don't see them as being equivalent in terms of how much the NFL needs to honor them, and I'm obviously not bashing Taylor here.
More like dumb.RIP Sean Taylor.
:boxing: :thumbdown: Ah yes, what a very "dumb" thing to do to leave a GAME to go defend our FREEDOM!

why would he not last in the Shark Pool?! :rolleyes:

Taylor was a thug until maybe 2 years ago..he has a criminal past, and allegations of assault and brandishing a weapon(handgun) at a crowd of people, and illegal possession of a handgun, etc..

all Wilbon was saying is, 'you live by the sword, you die by the sword', and he's 100% correct..

post of the year

Yes, I think Snyder simply misspoke at one point in yesterday's PC. The Redskins will wear a 21 on their jersey and helmet. The entire league will have a moment of silence before every game.I heard the Cowboys have asked the Redskins if it would be okay to wear 21 on their helmets tomorrow night. The Cowboys and their fans are making it pretty hard to hate them the last couple days. :)
Seriously dude.......if this happened to Ware or TNew I would be a mess. All (OK 98% of us) Cowboys fans just want to show you guys we care. The rivalry is heated yes, but based on respect as well. It's very much like sibling rivalry lots of angst and respect. I am really proud of our fans and the whole organization for how we have reacted to this. There was some smattering of talk that R Will was going to ask Jones to switch #'s for his 21 for this game. I don't think it's going to happen. Rest assured the Cowboys will set the tone for the week and give ST his proper and due recognition. So sad though. Better days ahead DGreen!!!Hang in there bud.
;) I'm amazed at how the Dallas fans have come through with support on this one. It's very moving actually. And yes, I mean to single them out because it's been more of a unanimous response with them than with any other bloc of NFL fans I'm aware of, and it's even more startling that it's one of our team's rival fan bases. To quote Shakespeare, "And do as adversaries do in law, Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends." -The Taming of the Shrew.I :wub: me some star. And we're still going to kick your butts on December 30! :thumbup:

Yes, I think Snyder simply misspoke at one point in yesterday's PC. The Redskins will wear a 21 on their jersey and helmet. The entire league will have a moment of silence before every game.I heard the Cowboys have asked the Redskins if it would be okay to wear 21 on their helmets tomorrow night. The Cowboys and their fans are making it pretty hard to hate them the last couple days. :lmao:
:unsure: I'm amazed at how the Dallas fans have come through with support on this one. It's very moving actually. And yes, I mean to single them out because it's been more of a unanimous response with them than with any other bloc of NFL fans I'm aware of, and it's even more startling that it's one of our team's rival fan bases. To quote Shakespeare, "And do as adversaries do in law, Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends." -The Taming of the Shrew.I :lmao: me some star. And we're still going to kick your butts on December 30! :lmao:
I wouldn't say I'm amazed in the sense that I wouldn't expect support from them. But, the level of support is somewhat amazing. As you say, it's very meaningful coming from that organization.Man, I hate them.

Taylor contact/cap details:
The bulk of Sean's contract - which he signed after being drafted in the first round in 2004 - was already due to him in the form of signing and roster bonuses. Some of those payments may have been deferred, but for cap purposes, they have already been charged to the team. Taylor made $12.3 million in bonus payments (and roughly $2 million in base salary) between 2004-2007, and will count $2.5 million against Washington's cap next season, according to sources with knowledge of the contract.

After checking with the NFL and NFLPA, it appears that the Redskins can not apply for a credit for that sum. They could however, by the letter of the law of the CBA, try to recoup some of the bonuses already paid to Sean, given that this related from a non-football situation, but no one expects anything like that to happen and in fact owner Daniel Snyder has been exceedingly generous with his players in times of crisis in the past.

Taylor was due $1.1 million in base salary this season (including a $500,000 escalator he earned through his 2006 performance), and the Redskins could end up getting a cap credit for the prorated portion remaining of that against the 2007 cap.

Sean was to receive base salaries of $865,000 and $1.1 million the following two years, while his contract was voidable in 2010. In reality, he would have signed a massive new contract extension with the Redskins sometime in 2008 or 2009 in all likelihood.

Sean was fully vested in the NFL pension program and his beneficiary will get survivor's benefits and a life insurance payment through the NFL/NFLPA of at least $350,000, league sources said. He was not yet fully vested in the annuity plan; that would have happened after this season.

I just had to say something since there is alot of speculation out there as to how things played out:

One story says his home was broken into approx 1 week earlier but nothing was taken...just rifled through some drawers and, not sure how accurate this is, they left a knife on his pillow...a sign that this wasn't a random act?

A few things strike me as :unsure: here...if it was a robbery, why was nothing taken? Could these have been people that Taylor knew and they were looking for something specific? They broke in (is there even any proof that the house was "broken" into on the first incident?) and took nothing? Did they have access to the house? Hmmmmm...

Another story says on the second "break in" Taylor heard some jostling downstairs so he got up to lock the bedroom door. News crews say the phone wires were "cut" but police say they weren't. Yet Taylors girlfriend couldn't get the home phones to work and she could only get a line using her cell phone?

Why would Taylor be trying to lock the door? I'm sure he had a handgun in his home, why not reach for that? Perhaps he knew the people that were in his home so he didn't want to resort to using a gun?

Reports say he got a knife (or machete) before trying to lock the door. How many people keep a machete under their bed or in a nighstand?!?!? Especially with toddlers in the house!

Something just ain't right here. I don't think it was a random act of robbery at all. I think these were people that had some beef with Taylor from some prior events and they came to kill him...plain and simple. They snuck in at night to kill him in his sleep but when they realized he was at his bedroom door they got scared and started "shooting sloppy" as they were running away. The stories aren't adding up.

It's sad that he had to pass in such a horrible way. That bullet hit the most vital part of his leg...a lucky/unlucky shot.

This is truly sad and disturbing and I hope they get all the facts they need to put these people behind bars!
What has happened is that some details have been released by different parties ---- the police, Taylor's former lawyer, etc. And all the details in the press naturally aren't matching up yet. The latest understanding that I have of the events you mention is that:The knife was "found" on a bed after the first breakin.

Taylor did attempt to lock the bedroom door.

The phone line was not cut, it just was not operating.

It isn't know if there was a security system that was turned off, or no security system.

But that could change, depending on what the police find in their investigation. The Washington Post and the Miami Herald seem to be the 2 news sources most on top of the details of the case, and they seem to be updating their stories regularly. Here's the latest in the Post: Link

Miami-Dade police found Taylor bleeding from a wound to his upper leg at his home after responding to an emergency call placed by his girlfriend at 1:47 a.m. Monday. Taylor had been awakened by noise in the living room and was shot at the entrance to his bedroom, according to the police and his attorney, Richard Sharpstein. He was airlifted to the hospital's trauma unit.

Miami-Dade police provided no information about suspects, held no formal news conference and released little information throughout the day, uncustomary in such a high-profile case. The police declined to release the incident report or 911 tapes, citing the ongoing investigation.

Jackson Memorial Hospital also declined to make its surgeons available or offer any information on Taylor, citing a request from Taylor's family.

Detectives said they would explore whether there could be a possible connection to a dispute between Taylor and several Miami men over his all-terrain vehicles in 2005 that led to criminal charges against Taylor, who received probation after entering a guilty plea but was later sued by one of the men.

"It's [too] early to say at this point" what happened, Miami-Dade police spokesman Alvaro Zabaleta said. "Twenty-four hours in a homicide case is equivalent to 10 minutes in real time."
The available facts were sparse. Police said only that Taylor, his girlfriend Jackie Garcia and 18-month-old daughter, Jackie, were in the house at the time the intruder or intruders entered. Taylor had flown to Miami on Saturday night, taken a 30-mile bike ride and watched football Sunday, then gone to bed at about 8:15 p.m., a team source said. It is unclear whether Taylor had installed or turned on a security alarm system at the house -- accounts from family and friends differed.

Sharpstein said Taylor reached under his bed for a machete he kept in the bedroom after being awakened by noise in the living room. Garcia grabbed the baby from the crib in their bedroom and cowered in the bed. Taylor's father said Garcia, his son's high school sweetheart, probably could not have identified anyone in the darkness, and he added that the intruder kicked in the bedroom door before firing.

"Maybe this is a case where someone got startled," Pedro Taylor said.

Pedro Taylor said his son likely had the machete not for self-defense, but because he enjoyed gardening and yardwork. He said he did not know whether his son had been targeted by enemies, and had not received any information on the shooter from police.

"I don't know," he said. "I can't say. Everybody says Sean is a bad guy who has enemies. [but] Sean is an isolated person who stays to himself."

Pedro Taylor said he was not overly concerned about what authorities described as a burglary at his son's residence between 7 p.m. and midnight Nov. 17. No one was home when the break-in occurred. The police report said the intruder pried open a window to gain entry, rifled through drawers and left a knife on a bed. Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs excused Sean Taylor from team meetings to deal with the burglary, but he later rejoined the team.

Miami Herald

Miami-Dade homicide detectives have few leads and have asked for the public's assistance. Anyone who might have seen or heard anything is urged to call Miami-Dade CrimeStoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

The shooting took place at about 1:30 a.m. Monday after Taylor and his girlfriend were startled awake by noises at their sprawling home on Old Cutler Road.

Taylor told Garcia to get under the covers while he shut the bedroom door and grabbed a machete he kept for protection under his bed, according to Taylor's attorney and family friend Richard Sharpstein.

As she cuddled their 18-month-old infant, Garcia told Sharpstein she did not hear any voices but said ``she heard a lot of noise that she related to more than one person. There seemed to be a lot of commotion.''

Then, she told him, the door swung open and Taylor was shot. The gunman never stepped into the room.

The intruder fired two bullets. One hit Taylor; the other hit a wall. Taylor tumbled back into the bedroom, wounded in the groin, Sharpstein said. The gunman fled immediately after firing.

''Nothing was stolen,'' Sharpstein said.

He said Garcia called 911 on a cellphone -- the house phone was not working. Miami-Dade patrol officers reported receiving the call at 1:45 a.m.

Taylor, who had injured his knee earlier in the season, was not expected to be home. He had come back to Palmetto Bay while the Redskins played in Tampa to see an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on the knee, Sharpstein said.

''My instincts tell me this was not a murder or a hit. It was certainly not professionally done in that two random shots were fired,'' Sharpstein said.

The shooting came just eight days after Taylor's family had reported that someone had broken into his home, according to police records. The intruder, who pried open a front window, entered several rooms of the unoccupied home and rifled through drawers and a safe in the bedroom.

In that incident, someone left a kitchen knife on a bed, the police report says. Police are investigating whether there is a connection to the Monday's shooting.

Technicians had dusted for fingerprints and other evidence. The work was submitted to Miami-Dade's lab but had yet to be processed because residential burglaries usually don't take priority. After Taylor's death, however, the lab will work on it immediately, said Miami-Dade Detective Robert Williams, a spokesman.

''It's a homicide, and we want to gather as many clues as we possibly can in order to identify the person who might have committed this crime,'' Williams said.

Latest from JLC:

Snyder "has really gone overboard to try to help the team through this," Fuller said.
Also, former kicker John Hall stopped by Redskins Park today, clearly moved by Sean's death and trying to help out in way he could. I'll what John had to say in a minute, but former Redskin Derrick Dockery - who signed with Buffalo as a free agent in March - is about to do a conference call and I'll blog that live as he speaks to us on speakerphone.

''My instincts tell me this was not a murder or a hit. It was certainly not professionally done in that two random shots were fired,'' Sharpstein said.
It may not have been a hit, but it's definitely murder. Second degree murder, perhaps. It doesn't have to be premeditated. Unless I'm missing something, if you fire a gun at someone while committing a buglary and that person dies, it's murder. This guy is an attorney?

Users who are viewing this thread