What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (2 Viewers)

Link

Funeral Monday in Miami

Some players and Coach Gibbs just spoke coming off the field. I'll post things as I can.

Coach Joe Gibbs said the funeral will take place on Monday.

The meeting this morning lasted about 2 hours in the auditorium, players said, with players reporting at 8. Coach Joe Gibbs and owner Daniel Snyder spoke, and the players had no idea Sean's family would be there. But Pedro Taylor and Sean's family arrived, including his girlfriend Jackie, his mom and an uncle. Jackie Garcia and Pedro Taylor both addressed the team, in what players said were highly emotional moments. Players said they took courage and inspiration from the words of Jackie and Pedro, both of whom urged them that the best way to honor Sean was to play as hard as they can in the passionate fashion he played.

Tailback Clinton Portis also spoke, and he too broke down a bit recalling his experiences with Sean. Team chaplain Brett Fuller also addressed the team. Safety Pierson Prioleau and others said they had the chance to hug Sean's family and voice their support at the end of the meeting. Sean's family has since flown back to Miami.

After the meeting players said they tried to regain composure, then the team went through a truncated remainder of the day, shuffling off to position meetings and getting ready for practice, which lasted from about 2-3:30.

Coach Gibbs also said that he took solace in the words of San Francisco Coach Mike Nolan, one of many NFL coaches to phone him. Nolan lost a player a few years back. Denver Coach Mike Shanahan, who lost a player to a shooting last season, also called.

Steeler07 said:
The thing is, Tillman had forgone millions in NFL salary to go serve his country and died in the field, a very honorable thing. Taylor is a simple crime victim. I don't see them as being equivalent in terms of how much the NFL needs to honor them, and I'm obviously not bashing Taylor here.
More like dumb.RIP Sean Taylor.
:lmao: :grad: Ah yes, what a very "dumb" thing to do to leave a GAME to go defend our FREEDOM!
:) :banned: The quality of Steeler07s character is evident in his post.

The police (say they) have nothing yet on the murder. Miami Herald

Miami-Dade Police Director Robert Parker said he believes the killing of NFL star Sean Taylor in his Miami-Dade home this week was ''random'' and vowed to aggressively pursue the investigation.

However, he gave a clue as to how little police have to go on by appealing to the public for help. ''We feel there is information from members of the public that has not made it yet to law enforcement,'' Parker said. Parker vowed his detectives will make an arrest: ''We will pull out all the stops,'' Parker said, adding that there is no reason to think this is anything but a robbery or burglary involving an intruder.''
And about the lack of an alarm system: Les Carpenter, Washington Post
Chevy Chase, Md.: Given the sequence of events these past few years in Sean Taylor's life, I have some trouble understanding why the Miami house did not have an alarm system, or if it did, why it was not operative? And since the Redskins organization seems to control a lot of aspects of a player's life (as is understandable), why did the Redskins management not know about this aspect? Any comment?

Les Carpenter: I asked that question of his family. A cousin who was probably one of the closest people to him and spent a significant amount of time at the house said there was not a system and said they had joked about that fact. When I asked him why he said Sean felt safe in the neighborhood.

And about the lack of an alarm system: Les Carpenter, Washington Post

Chevy Chase, Md.: Given the sequence of events these past few years in Sean Taylor's life, I have some trouble understanding why the Miami house did not have an alarm system, or if it did, why it was not operative? And since the Redskins organization seems to control a lot of aspects of a player's life (as is understandable), why did the Redskins management not know about this aspect? Any comment?

Les Carpenter: I asked that question of his family. A cousin who was probably one of the closest people to him and spent a significant amount of time at the house said there was not a system and said they had joked about that fact. When I asked him why he said Sean felt safe in the neighborhood.
Actually, his girlfriend had a relative (forgot if it's a sister or cousin) was staying with them off & on. Since she went in & out clubbing snd so forth, they stopped arming it. Read that quote somewhere, but can't recall where now.

Steeler07 said:
The thing is, Tillman had forgone millions in NFL salary to go serve his country and died in the field, a very honorable thing. Taylor is a simple crime victim. I don't see them as being equivalent in terms of how much the NFL needs to honor them, and I'm obviously not bashing Taylor here.
:boxing: :tfp: Ah yes, what a very "dumb" thing to do to leave a GAME to go defend our FREEDOM!
:shrug: :wub: The quality of Steeler07s character is evident in his post.
That was what he meant? I didn't respond because I wasn't even sure what he was saying. :rolleyes:

Steeler07 said:
He's dumb because he felt he was better suited to go out and defend your freedom, rather than play football??

Steeler07 said:
No Time Out for this comment? I seen a few guys get timeouts yesterday for much, much less. Is it ok to bash Tillman but not ok to bash Sean Taylor? I don't really get this, Tillman is a hero, Sean Taylor is a normal man, are we allowed to critisize hero's but not normal people?

And who keeps a machete as protection?
I don't know, but I know that you shouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight.
GoodbyeJ
Really?
Yes. Really.HTHJ
I didn't consider what I said to be against the rules, but I know now it is. Sorry Joe, the staff and to anyone else I offended and such.Hopefully the Taylor family can make sense out of this tragedy somehow. :yes:

Michael Wilbon isn't trying to make friends. He would have been banned in the Shark Pool for these comments:

McLean, Va.: Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No ... people's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7112000544.html
have you heard of "freedom of speech" ?
Yes, I have. The comment about being banned in the Shark Pool was sarcasm. JohnnyU said essentially the same thing as Wilbon in fewer words and was shut down earlier. I think he was saying what 90% of you are thinking but are afraid to say.
I tried sending a PM but could not. Do not ever bring an avatar like that in this board again.

Joe Bryant said:
Michael Wilbon isn't trying to make friends. He would have been banned in the Shark Pool for these comments:

McLean, Va.: Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No ... people's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7112000544.html
have you heard of "freedom of speech" ?
Yes, I have. The comment about being banned in the Shark Pool was sarcasm. JohnnyU said essentially the same thing as Wilbon in fewer words and was shut down earlier. I think he was saying what 90% of you are thinking but are afraid to say.
I tried sending a PM but could not. Do not ever bring an avatar like that in this board again.
The avatar was pic of girl's black eye she received when her boyfriend accidentally hit her with a Wii controller. :thumbup: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...2/14/nwii14.xml

fatness said:
Yet his good friend Antrel Rolle had this to say...
"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."
Which is what I wondered... if he had so many enemies and wanted to distance himself from those friends, why didn't he move? It's not like he didn't have the money.

fatness said:
Yet his good friend Antrel Rolle had this to say...
"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."
Which is what I wondered... if he had so many enemies and wanted to distance himself from those friends, why didn't he move? It's not like he didn't have the money.
Pride?

Taylor felt safe in the neighborhood he lived in. Les Carpenter, Washington Post

I suppose if Rolle really has any information on people being out to get Taylor for 3 years, he'll be giving it to the police?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolle said he hadn't talked to Taylor in a while, and that the Redskin had withdrawn from the crowd he hung around with to build a new life with his girlfriend and young daughter.

"There was so much surrounding him," Rolle said. "Everyone was talking about him bad, so he just had to distance himself from everyone and live a life of his own. ... Within the last year, I've never seen anyone make such a dramatic change."
Link

POSTED 8:54 p.m. EST, November 28, 2007

ANTREL ROLLE SAYS TAYLOR WAS KILLED BY FORMER FRIEND by Michael David Smith

We noted yesterday that there is talk in league circles that Redskins safety Sean Taylor was murdered by a former friend.

Today Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle, who has known Taylor since they were small children and who played with Taylor at the University of Miami, said that is his belief.

"This was not the first incident," Rolle said, per the Associated Press. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," Rolle continued. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people talking to Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

Rolle's suspicion seems to contradict what Miami police spokesman Robert Parker said today. Parker said police believe Taylor's killing was "more like a random event," adding, "We have no reason to think this was anything other than a burglary or a robbery involving an intruder

Did anyone else listen to Colin Cowherd today? Interesting discussion. He talked about his conversation with Stephen A. Smith, and he talked about the reality of this. Although its sad, he believes (along with Smith) it's all very suspicious (not a robbery) --- the knife left the night prior to the killing --- the way he was shot --- it all looks like Taylor didn't escape his past.

Colin said his email is just killing him for being "insensitive", but I agree with him (for once): Why do we have to wait to talk about the truth or facts? Good point. I think this is a tragedy none-the-less, but sticking our collective heads in the sand and not asking "what happened?" is truly a disservice to his memory and everyone who is affected by tragedies like this. If you can prevent anything like this in the future or prosecute those who are guilty, you must.

Did anyone else listen to Colin Cowherd today? Interesting discussion. He talked about his conversation with Stephen A. Smith, and he talked about the reality of this. Although its sad, he believes (along with Smith) it's all very suspicious (not a robbery) --- the knife left the night prior to the killing --- the way he was shot --- it all looks like Taylor didn't escape his past. Colin said his email is just killing him for being "insensitive", but I agree with him (for once): Why do we have to wait to talk about the truth or facts? Good point. I think this is a tragedy none-the-less, but sticking our collective heads in the sand and not asking "what happened?" is truly a disservice to his memory and everyone who is affected by tragedies like this. If you can prevent anything like this in the future or prosecute those who are guilty, you must.
I tend to get annoyed with all the speculation so far. The cops on the case are saying one thing and the media has basically said "No, your wrong" while only knowing half the facts.

I think this is a tragedy none-the-less, but sticking our collective heads in the sand and not asking "what happened?" is truly a disservice to his memory and everyone who is affected by tragedies like this. If you can prevent anything like this in the future or prosecute those who are guilty, you must.
:football: but if you think people find it distasteful to ask "what happened?" when what happened is found out - people will find it even more distasteful for people to ask "how can we stop this?"

Redskins | Rolle says S. Taylor had many enemies in Miami

Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:16:25 -0800

The Associated Press reports Arizona Cardinals CB Antrel Rolle said he believes the killing of Washington Redskins S Sean Taylor was not part of a burglary, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Maimi. Rolle said, "This was not the first incident. They've been targeting him for three years now." Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor. "He really didn't say too much, but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

:football: '' At least, he's got peace now." :lmao:

He makes it sound like he was dying of cancer or something...wtf.

Redskins | Rolle says S. Taylor had many enemies in MiamiWed, 28 Nov 2007 20:16:25 -0800The Associated Press reports Arizona Cardinals CB Antrel Rolle said he believes the killing of Washington Redskins S Sean Taylor was not part of a burglary, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Maimi. Rolle said, "This was not the first incident. They've been targeting him for three years now." Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor. "He really didn't say too much, but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now." :thumbup: '' At least, he's got peace now." :no:He makes it sound like he was dying of cancer or something...wtf.
If that's the case, then why even go to Miami ever? Much less live there.

I tend to get annoyed with all the speculation so far. The cops on the case are saying one thing and the media has basically said "No, your wrong" while only knowing half the facts.
The news media in general don't even know half the facts. They look up whatever previous articles there are in their files concerning Taylor, write something tied to that, and act like they know something. By all accounts from his family, teammates, and coaches Taylor had changed his behavior and his life in a pretty admirable direction. That didn't generate news articles over the last year or 2, though, so the news media just picked up where his court case left off. Much of the stuff initially written about him was essentially "Sean Taylor in trouble again; this time he's in so much trouble he's dead." They didn't know what else to write.Some of the sports writing, as opposed to general news writing, was a little better but not much. The Miami Herald and Washington Post seem to be doing the best job of actually trying to report true events. And true events is all I want to read about. Screw speculation.

The news media in general don't even know half the facts. They look up whatever previous articles there are in their files concerning Taylor, write something tied to that, and act like they know something. By all accounts from his family, teammates, and coaches Taylor had changed his behavior and his life in a pretty admirable direction. That didn't generate news articles over the last year or 2, though, so the news media just picked up where his court case left off. Much of the stuff initially written about him was essentially "Sean Taylor in trouble again; this time he's in so much trouble he's dead." They didn't know what else to write.Some of the sports writing, as opposed to general news writing, was a little better but not much. The Miami Herald and Washington Post seem to be doing the best job of actually trying to report true events. And true events is all I want to read about. Screw speculation.
:lmao: My biggest annoyance is not with speculation. It is listening to Cowheard talk about incidents that Taylor had, that yes were idiotic decisions, but were later proved to be fairly inaccurate.

Respectfully, but this really bothers me, there is a real problem in the NFL. Less than 12 months and there has been two killings and Micheal Vick's story plus all the other troubles. The company I work for has at least as many "players" as the NFL and we have never had anyone shot. These are not random acts of violence. It has to do with these player's background, their youth, and giving them millions of dollars to do with what they will. Something has to be done or it will just get worse.

Thanks for letting me vent and good luck to everyone.

I think you guys are living in Fantasyland if you really think this was nothing more than a botched robbery attempt. Just because Taylor turned his life around, that doesn't mean his old friends/enemies did the same. If they had some kind of vendetta against Taylor from years ago, they're not going to suddenly let bygones be bygones just because Taylor has decided to grow up.Of course that's all speculation right now, because no one knows the facts. But when no one knows what actually happened, that's what people do - they speculate. They wonder what might have happened. In Taylor's case, it seems more than likely that his past caught up to him. Antrel Rolle seems to agree, and he knows more about Taylor and his background than any of us.

All I can say is a few months back there was a lot of speculation before facts in the Mike Vick case and the speculation proved correct. If it looks bad and smells bad it is probably bad. What will all the non-speculators say if the speculators are correct once again. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending everything is ok won't change things for the better. Jason Whitlock's article may be a bit early for some to stomach and may not be correct in this case (time will tell) but needed to be said none the less.

And the speculators were wrong about the 3 or 4 times Chris Henry has supposedly been in trouble with the law since his suspension, too. Remember those? There was tons of unfounded speculation that was wrong.

I want to know what happened to Taylor and so does almost everyone else. But some people clearly want to use this already to prove their belief that Taylor was a criminal and a bad actor and was part of "thug life". That's why they give so much credence given to Antrel Rolle, and so little to the police chief and Taylor's family and teammates.

Waiting to see what happened isn't hiding your head in the sand. Trying to use a dead body and some guesswork to prove some point or other is a bit tacky.

Fats, there's a pretty good discussion about the Whitlock column and a similar one done by David Aldridge going on over in the FFA. I'm sure you'll recall that I hesitate to call the shot before the facts are in, almost to a fault, but I don't think it's an inappropriate time for the discussion about black on black violence and the continued ties to the hood that many of today's players are unable to break completely. Even if that ultimately proves not to be the case with Taylor.

I think you guys are living in Fantasyland if you really think this was nothing more than a botched robbery attempt. Just because Taylor turned his life around, that doesn't mean his old friends/enemies did the same. If they had some kind of vendetta against Taylor from years ago, they're not going to suddenly let bygones be bygones just because Taylor has decided to grow up.Of course that's all speculation right now, because no one knows the facts. But when no one knows what actually happened, that's what people do - they speculate. They wonder what might have happened. In Taylor's case, it seems more than likely that his past caught up to him.

Antrel Rolle seems to agree, and he knows more about Taylor and his background than any of us.
:shrug: I agree. It's a shame that his promising career came to such an abrupt end, but I just don't feel all that great about all these tributes. I know this is completely off-topic, but does anyone remember that psycho-wrestler from the WWF (Benoit)? They were immediately honoring him the night of the incident, and it later came out he was a murderer. Not saying that Taylor is anywhere near Benoit territory --- BUT it does make you think twice before giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.

:unsure: I agree. It's a shame that his promising career came to such an abrupt end, but I just don't feel all that great about all these tributes. I know this is completely off-topic, but does anyone remember that psycho-wrestler from the WWF (Benoit)? They were immediately honoring him the night of the incident, and it later came out he was a murderer. Not saying that Taylor is anywhere near Benoit territory --- BUT it does make you think twice before giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.
No, it doesn't. Some of us just realize the terrible loss that people have suffered and aren't worried about trying to affix blame right now. So maybe it makes you think twice, but please don't speak for the rest of us.

Taylor felt safe in the neighborhood he lived in. Les Carpenter, Washington Post

I suppose if Rolle really has any information on people being out to get Taylor for 3 years, he'll be giving it to the police?
:unsure: Rolle isn't going to be a snitch.

:confused: Rolle isn't going to be a snitch.
and THAT is part of the problem.

:rant: I agree. It's a shame that his promising career came to such an abrupt end, but I just don't feel all that great about all these tributes. I know this is completely off-topic, but does anyone remember that psycho-wrestler from the WWF (Benoit)? They were immediately honoring him the night of the incident, and it later came out he was a murderer. Not saying that Taylor is anywhere near Benoit territory --- BUT it does make you think twice before giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.
No, it doesn't. Some of us just realize the terrible loss that people have suffered and aren't worried about trying to affix blame right now. So maybe it makes you think twice, but please don't speak for the rest of us.
I`ve always wondered...which is the right way to say...''the benefit of THE doubt'' or is it ''the benefit of doubt'' :confused:

:moneybag: I agree. It's a shame that his promising career came to such an abrupt end, but I just don't feel all that great about all these tributes. I know this is completely off-topic, but does anyone remember that psycho-wrestler from the WWF (Benoit)? They were immediately honoring him the night of the incident, and it later came out he was a murderer. Not saying that Taylor is anywhere near Benoit territory --- BUT it does make you think twice before giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.
I`ve always wondered...which is the right way to say...''the benefit of THE doubt'' or is it ''the benefit of doubt'' :thumbup:
I think you need to add "THE" b/c "doubt" is the noun (it's the proper way to say it). http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/benefit_of_the_doubt

But I'm sure either is acceptable, as you are just trying to get your point across.

:moneybag: I agree. It's a shame that his promising career came to such an abrupt end, but I just don't feel all that great about all these tributes. I know this is completely off-topic, but does anyone remember that psycho-wrestler from the WWF (Benoit)? They were immediately honoring him the night of the incident, and it later came out he was a murderer. Not saying that Taylor is anywhere near Benoit territory --- BUT it does make you think twice before giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.
Who is trying to place blame? I completely understand all Redskins fans mourning the loss of a great football player. I'm just saying I'm not ready to start memorilizing him and calling him a tragic victim when we don't really know what happened, or what he was involved in.

If you act like a thug, you'll die like a thug. Hopefully other athletes will wake up and get out while they still can.

For a few people around here that seemed quick to judge Sean's character, look at this quote from Gibbs-

-- Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs

"The thing I wanted to make you aware of with Sean, over the last year and a half Sean really matured. To give you a little feeling, he was in every chapel service that I can remember. I think his life and the way he dealt with everybody showed the real maturity.

"His child had a lot to do with that. He had a real love for his family and for his child. There were times here in the building where people would say, 'Hey, Sean is in, he has his baby girl with him.'

"Just this morning, I heard of people talking about him at the shopping center where she was playing and he would be there looking over her. I saw, over the last year and a half, which happens with a lot of young guys you're coaching and you see young guys come in here, and then they grow up and they mature.

"I certainly think, in Sean's case, his life exemplified that and what I don't believe, that you can do that on your own. He had a growing relationship with the Lord and the reason why I say that, I didn't spend a lot of time talking to him about that, but I witnessed his life, and Brett Fuller, who is one of our chaplains, did.

"I want everybody here to know that we have the greatest group of guys working with us. We have Brett, Lee (Corder) and Jerry (Leachmen) working with the coaches and then the players. Brett had spent a lot of time with Sean over the last couple of years.

"Brett has handled the coaches here when he came and spoke to us earlier Monday, his feeling is that Sean had a great relationship with the Lord and he feels like he has gone home.

"It is so hard for us because we are here and we are going to miss him. I'm not talking about as a player; I'm talking about as a person. He was a real leader for us.

"His teammates had voted him as part of our leadership council, the group that I meet with that gives us suggestions and helps direct the Redskins. Sean was a big part of that. His teammates had voted him that. I felt like he was a real leader.

"For me, personally, the way that I'm going to deal with it is the fact that God tells us that it is going to take 1,000 years to begin to appreciate heaven and that our life on earth is really a puff of smoke compared to the time that we get to spend eternity with Him, if we have a personal relationship with Him.

"I'm convinced through Sean's life and listening to Brett that is the case. It is going to be a tremendous loss for us and the football team, as we go forward this is a tragedy.

"The thing that brings this back to me is how fragile life is and for me personally what has touched me is that we need to enjoy each and every day and each and every minute."

Sean was a great football player, a great teammate, a great father, and a great young man. He will definitely be missed. Its my hope that people would learn to not so quickly judge and verbally spurn a guy before they really know the entire story. My 2 cents.

I'm not jumping to anything. He was a thug, deal with it. Hell even Beamer still says nice things about Vick. What was Gibbs suppose to say???

If you act like a thug, you'll die like a thug. Hopefully other athletes will wake up and get out while they still can.
I said something 100% more tame than that and got a suspension. I'd probably tread carefully dude.
If I get a suspension for telling the truth then so be it. Some people need to get off their PC horse!!! Anyone who pulls a gun out on another person is a thug. There is no sugar coating it.

I said something 100% more tame than that and got a suspension. I'd probably tread carefully dude.
If I get a suspension for telling the truth then so be it. Some people need to get off their PC horse!!!
One foolish mistake when your a young man = Thug for life? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread