What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (3 Viewers)

JohnnyU said:
Mad SweeneyJohnnyUBYRKyou come around here causing trouble in a thread that for the most part has been filled with respect and in my book, what you're doing is lower than "being a thug." while classy fans of Redskin foes (Cowboys, Eagles, et al) have provided me with a renewed faith in these "opponents," it's truly sad to see that there are still people who get their rocks off in other people's mourning. to hide behind the "PC" label is cowardly. to ignore the testimonies from players and coaches about how this young man had been turning his life around is - to use one of your words - sticking your head in the sand.you'd do well to stay out of this thread.
:goodposting: :unsure: :goodposting: Many people on these boards seem to love to play the antagonist.
Hey, I didn't say that much in this thread. In essence, I said, "if you play with fire you're going to get burned". Now I don't know about you, but that's very tame in realation to other posts in this thread.
Everyone who gets suspended thinks there's a "sliding scale". No shock there. I don't see every post of the thousands posted every day. If you've got something you see as over the line, please report it. Your post was way over the line and you know it. J
I disagree. I don't think it was "way over the line" at all, especailly since this thread became a lot more than just a RIP thread. Somehow I don't believe everyone who has posted something other than respectful comments were banned. For me saying "if you play in the gutter long enough you will get dirty", hardly is way over the line in comparison to some of the posts in this thead by those who were not banned. Having said that, I do apologize for saying what I said so early in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach Joe Gibbs reacted briefly coming off the field to news that three men have been detained in Florida in connection to Sean's murder:

"That's good, that's real good," Gibbs said. "i think that makes everybody around here extremely happy. We're thankful for that, and we apprciate all the hard work everybody put into that."
Link

there have been a LOT of suspensions handed out already b/c of posts in this thread.

please try to keep the discussion on topic going forward. thanks.

Coach Joe Gibbs reacted briefly coming off the field to news that three men have been detained in Florida in connection to Sean's murder:

"That's good, that's real good," Gibbs said. "i think that makes everybody around here extremely happy. We're thankful for that, and we apprciate all the hard work everybody put into that."
Link
Sad. Some of you on this board seem foolish.

JohnnyU said:
Mad SweeneyJohnnyUBYRKyou come around here causing trouble in a thread that for the most part has been filled with respect and in my book, what you're doing is lower than "being a thug." while classy fans of Redskin foes (Cowboys, Eagles, et al) have provided me with a renewed faith in these "opponents," it's truly sad to see that there are still people who get their rocks off in other people's mourning. to hide behind the "PC" label is cowardly. to ignore the testimonies from players and coaches about how this young man had been turning his life around is - to use one of your words - sticking your head in the sand.you'd do well to stay out of this thread.
:lmao: :thumbup: :banned: Many people on these boards seem to love to play the antagonist.
Hey, I didn't say that much in this thread. In essence, I said, "if you play with fire you're going to get burned". Now I don't know about you, but that's very tame in realation to other posts in this thread.
Everyone who gets suspended thinks there's a "sliding scale". No shock there. I don't see every post of the thousands posted every day. If you've got something you see as over the line, please report it. Your post was way over the line and you know it. J
I disagree. I don't think it was "way over the line" at all, especailly since this thread became a lot more than just a RIP thread. Somehow I don't believe everyone who has posted something other than respectful comments were banned. For me saying "if you play in the gutter long enough you will get dirty", hardly is way over the line in comparison to some of the posts in this thead by those who were not banned. Having said that, I do apologize for saying what I said so early in this thread.
Enlightening logic there. I suppose we could use empirical research and test this theory.Or we could just allow that a man has had his life taken from him and that there are those who would like to mourn that fact. That would seem the simple and decent thing to do.

JohnnyU said:
:hot: :hot: :yes: Many people on these boards seem to love to play the antagonist.
Enlightening logic there. I suppose we could use empirical research and test this theory.Or we could just allow that a man has had his life taken from him and that there are those who would like to mourn that fact. That would seem the simple and decent thing to do.
Let's just drop it. I guess there's no use crying over spilt milk.

Link

A relative of slain Redskins safety Sean Taylor said the family was told by Miami-Dade police Friday that investigation is now focused on three men being questioned in the Fort Myers area. News of the break in the case was first reported by the Miami Herald on its Web site. The Herald said police were talking to the three men -- aged 17, 19 and 26 -- and police believe the men had heard someone brag about Taylor's wealth.

Taylor's relative, who asked not to be named, said family members were briefed by a detective in the case early Friday. He said police told them that the men being questioned were from Miami but had fled to Fort Myers. He said the family was not told the names of the men, only that one was a juvenile. But, he said, it was their understanding that the men do not have a personal connection to Taylor.

A police spokesman confirmed that officials have gone to Fort Myers as part of their investigation. "Our investigators are in Fort Myers conducting an investigation," said Miami Dade police spokesperson Robert Williams. He said he had no information on who, if anyone, was being questioned.

Most burglars believe the most valuable things are in the victim's bedroom. Most likely, that is where the expensive jewelry and important documents are usually at. I know this from too much A & E.The most rational explanation to me, is that the same burglar came back assuming Taylor was with the team. When they went to go into the bedroom and Taylor was wielding a weapon, they shot and ran. Pure specualtion, but I highly doubt a deliberate hit.
Looks like the most rational explanation is still usually the correct one.

Link

A relative of slain Redskins safety Sean Taylor said the family was told by Miami-Dade police Friday that investigation is now focused on three men being questioned in the Fort Myers area. News of the break in the case was first reported by the Miami Herald on its Web site. The Herald said police were talking to the three men -- aged 17, 19 and 26 -- and police believe the men had heard someone brag about Taylor's wealth.

Taylor's relative, who asked not to be named, said family members were briefed by a detective in the case early Friday. He said police told them that the men being questioned were from Miami but had fled to Fort Myers. He said the family was not told the names of the men, only that one was a juvenile. But, he said, it was their understanding that the men do not have a personal connection to Taylor.

A police spokesman confirmed that officials have gone to Fort Myers as part of their investigation. "Our investigators are in Fort Myers conducting an investigation," said Miami Dade police spokesperson Robert Williams. He said he had no information on who, if anyone, was being questioned.
Fled to Fort Myers? Is that some safe haven?

Thanks Joe. I see you're keeping on top of this thread. Appreciate it. I'd hate to see it closed down.
I will echo this sentiment. I appreciate being able to have a place to check in and have a nice group of guys keeping everyone posted with the most up-to-date information. It's strange to be affected by the death of someone you don't even know. But the killing of such a promising young man who had 'Hall of Fame career' written all over him while being the star of my favorite team has definitely had an impact on me. It helps to be able to commiserate with others.

2:30 p.m. update

Local authorities were not involved in a reported early morning search Friday in Cape Coral for what were allegedly suspects in the Miami home invasion killing of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor. The home, according to a neighbor, is located at 1306 SW 36th Terrace.

Cape Coral assistant chief Jay Murphy said neither his agency nor the Lee County Sheriff's Office was involved. "Most likely, this was a state or federal operation," he said. "If they did come to Cape Coral, they didn't notify us." That's not unusual, he said. "If they're confident there won't be any issues, there's no reason for them to notify us," he said.
link

It's strange to be affected by the death of someone you don't even know. But the killing of such a promising young man who had 'Hall of Fame career' written all over him while being the star of my favorite team has definitely had an impact on me.
I'm with you.I never thought I'd be this affected by the death of a Redskin. I guess Taylor being my favorite current player played a role in my feelings, though.While technically I think I would say I never cried (depending on your definition), I was certainly sad. My eyes definitely watered a few times, one time in particular. I was listening to the Riggins show and Bram Weinstein was giving his report from Redskins Park Tuesday evening. Bram was talking about how weird it was there that day and as he was doing that, he just broke down and started crying over the phone on the radio. He's a guy that covered the Skins every day and knows many people there. He kept it together on air as much as he could, but he clearly just had to let it out at that point.Personally (selfishly), I keep thinking over and over and over how I'll never be able to see him play football again. And that really sucks. I literally feel bad when I think about it.I'll be at the game this week and it will be weird. I'm not sure what to expect.

So somebody broke into that same house a week ago and left a knife on the bed? Seems like a pretty obvious warning shot to me, not an environment I'd choose for my baby to be sleeping in. Not bashing, RIP Sean, but damn - I don't get it. :lol:
I've wondered if maybe the knife found on the bed may have been Sean's own machete, as if to say, "Hey, we found your personal protection and we're so unconcerned about it we're leaving it here on the bed for you to keep..."...and then they come back later, with guns.

The incident was apparently the second time in nine days that someone broke into Taylor’s house.According to a Miami-Dade Police report, an intruder broke through a front window Nov. 17, entered several rooms, rifled through drawers and a safe, and left a kitchen knife on a bed. No one else was in the house at the time, Taylor told the police.
It sounds like the first breakin was a search for something. Drawers and a safe rifled, and there was a report yesterday that an AC vent was damaged as well.So the second may have been another search for 'something'.
Was the machete concealed in the A/C vent?

I'll be at the game this week and it will be weird. I'm not sure what to expect.
There's apparently going to be a video tribute starting around 12:15. No speakers.
Sunday Details

Everyone at FedEx Field should be in their seat by 12:15, as I mentioned before.

CBS will be televising the moment of silence before the game, I've been told, and several people have emailed me about being able to watch all of the pre-game activities.

Much of it will be part of a video tribute the team has put together, and the Redskins expect that you will be able to view that on-line at their website at some point after the ceremony. CBS may end up broadcasting that video on Sunday as well.

No one is scheduled to speak, and the festivities will be subdued. Fans will be given commemorative towels and the team and its employees will fly to Miami early Monday morning for the funeral.
JLC

It's strange to be affected by the death of someone you don't even know. But the killing of such a promising young man who had 'Hall of Fame career' written all over him while being the star of my favorite team has definitely had an impact on me.
I'm with you.I never thought I'd be this affected by the death of a Redskin. I guess Taylor being my favorite current player played a role in my feelings, though.While technically I think I would say I never cried (depending on your definition), I was certainly sad. My eyes definitely watered a few times, one time in particular. Personally (selfishly), I keep thinking over and over and over how I'll never be able to see him play football again. And that really sucks. I literally feel bad when I think about it.I'll be at the game this week and it will be weird. I'm not sure what to expect.
I felt the same after Darrent Williams. He too had children which makes it that much worse. :no:

Was the machete concealed in the A/C vent?
According to the latest information I've read, the machete was kept in Taylor's bedroom.And the knife left on a bed was a kitchen knife, probably used to accomplish the break-in, which was left on the bed which Taylor's mother would use when she visited the house.

I felt the same after Darrent Williams. He too had children which makes it that much worse. :no:
That's the worst damn part of it all. Not being able to see Taylor play again is a loss, for sure. But it pales in comparison to his daughter not having her dad around while she grows up.

That's the worst damn part of it all. Not being able to see Taylor play again is a loss, for sure. But it pales in comparison to his daughter not having her dad around while she grows up.
Especially when you hear all these testimonies of how good he was with children, and how he had changed since he had his daughter.

I'll be at the game this week and it will be weird. I'm not sure what to expect.
There's apparently going to be a video tribute starting around 12:15. No speakers.
Sunday Details

Everyone at FedEx Field should be in their seat by 12:15, as I mentioned before.

CBS will be televising the moment of silence before the game, I've been told, and several people have emailed me about being able to watch all of the pre-game activities.

Much of it will be part of a video tribute the team has put together, and the Redskins expect that you will be able to view that on-line at their website at some point after the ceremony. CBS may end up broadcasting that video on Sunday as well.

No one is scheduled to speak, and the festivities will be subdued. Fans will be given commemorative towels and the team and its employees will fly to Miami early Monday morning for the funeral.
JLC
Thanks. I'm surprised I haven't received an email yet saying when to get there. They usually send emails about arriving early.I think I heard WUSA-9 in DC would air a tribute a few times this weekend. I don't recall the times right now, though.

Just wondering, some of you guys that have followed Taylor at Miami and DC and know some of his troubles, what do you think the chances are there is really no correlation with his "rough" past? Just interested in learning more from people that have followed him closely. Sad situation.

I hope these 3 are the right guys. It won't bring Sean back, but at least whoever did it will have paid for it. Not to mention it makes the "you play with fire and you get burned" eat crow. Its still crazy to me thinking that he'd be alive if he didn't sprain his knee vs. Philly. I have him walking into the tunnel back to the locker room during that game etched in my mind. Its bothersome to think that was the last time I'd ever see him walk off the field. Man, I hope these are the punks.

I hope these 3 are the right guys. It won't bring Sean back, but at least whoever did it will have paid for it. Not to mention it makes the "you play with fire and you get burned" eat crow. Its still crazy to me thinking that he'd be alive if he didn't sprain his knee vs. Philly. I have him walking into the tunnel back to the locker room during that game etched in my mind. Its bothersome to think that was the last time I'd ever see him walk off the field. Man, I hope these are the punks.
It's a maddening waste is what it is. And now these three idiots (if they're responsible) have thrown their lives away too.

Just wondering, some of you guys that have followed Taylor at Miami and DC and know some of his troubles, what do you think the chances are there is really no correlation with his "rough" past? Just interested in learning more from people that have followed him closely. Sad situation.
I never followed him at Miami; just since he's been in DC. After his daughter was born about 18 months ago he changed his life significantly --- that's according to many of his teammates and many members of his coaching staff. He changed his diet, dropped weight, moved his locker next to Renaldo Wynn's locker, did more film study, and probably most importantly became quite a homebody, hanging out with his girlfriend and daughter. There's a pretty good article on him at ESPN which I just finished reading, which sheds a lot of light on his school and professional years: Link It's been pretty convincing for awhile to those of us who have followed him that he changed once his daughter was born. It seems to have been a defining event in his life. When someone turns towards doing what they ought to do, it doesn't get much press coverage, though. The last time he was in the national media to this extent was when he was on trial for assault, and when he spit on the other player. So those are the most current images of him to those who didn't follow him regularly.

There are also some more links explaining Taylor in this thread, but you really have to wade through a lot of stuff to find them. He had pretty much walked away from trouble since his daughter was born. But we don't know who killed him, and why, and until we do it's impossible to know whether that had anything to do with previous events in his life or not.

3 detained in Sean Taylor homicide; 2 others sought

LEHIGH ACRES --

One of the men being questioned by Miami-Dade police in Sean Taylor's death recently attended a party at the football player's Palmetto Bay home -- and mowed his grass, the man's family said.

Relatives of Jason Mitchell, 19, told The Miami Herald that he attended a birthday bash for Sasha Johnson, who is Sean Taylor's sister. Johnson dates Christopher Devon Wardlow, 21, Mitchell's family said. His brother, Charles Wardlow, 18, was also being interviewed by Miami-Dade homicide detectives. No one has been charged.

An unidentified 17-year-old was also being questioned at Florida Department of Law Enforcement Headquarters in Fort Myers. Police were looking for two other men, but no one has been charged.

According to Scottie Mitchell, 19, Jason's twin brother, Johnson and Christopher Devon Wardlow invited Jason Mitchell to the birthday party within the past two months. He even did work around Taylor's house, Scottie Mitchell said: ``He cut his grass and everything.''

Scottie Mitchell said he believes his brother was home in Lehigh Acres the night of the murder.

Sasha Johnson turned 21 on Oct. 1. The twins have been friends with Christopher Devon Wardlow for about eight years, Scottie Mitchell said, adding that he does not know Charles Wardlow or the 17-year-old.

More details and pictures

Law enforcement officials have confirmed that two Fort Myers teens, along with two others, have been detained in connection with the slaying of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor. Eric Rivera, 17, and Charles Wardlow, 18, were picked up by law enforcement today in connection with the death of Taylor, who was attacked at his Miami area home Monday and died Tuesday.

Florida Christian Institute president Keith Leonardo said Rivera and Wardlow had not been at school this week and neither has withdrawn from school. This was Wardlow’s second year at FCI, while Rivera transferred in this fall from Life Skills Center, a charter school located at 3637 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Leonardo said they were friends before they got to his school and the duo played football, but were each removed from the team for disciplinary reasons this season. Wardlow was allowed back before the end of the season because he met the school’s criteria to return, but Rivera did not. “He’s been in and out of trouble with us,” Leonardo said of Wardlow. “There’s been some suspensions and stuff like that.” Rivera was arrested in August on the charge of unlawful possession of a weapon by a minor and altering the identification on a weapon, according to a News-Press story.

Good god.

Link

UPDATE:

Lee County, Fla. - Detectives from the Miami-Dade Police Department have informed WINK News that Sean Taylor's brother and sister may have been involved in the NFL star's home burglary.

Authorities say Taylor gave money to his brother and sister. They, in turn, shared the wealth with suspects now detained in connection with the case. Officials also believe Taylor's brother and sister may have bragged about the large amount of wealth inside his Miami home.

Four suspects are currently detained, but others, possibly from the Lehigh Acres area, may be involved.

Good god.

Link

UPDATE:

Lee County, Fla. - Detectives from the Miami-Dade Police Department have informed WINK News that Sean Taylor's brother and sister may have been involved in the NFL star's home burglary.

Authorities say Taylor gave money to his brother and sister. They, in turn, shared the wealth with suspects now detained in connection with the case. Officials also believe Taylor's brother and sister may have bragged about the large amount of wealth inside his Miami home.

Four suspects are currently detained, but others, possibly from the Lehigh Acres area, may be involved.
F'ing stupid waste. :shrug:

You know what, Redman? That may just be a sensationalistic headline, and the involvement of the brother and sister may have been no more than careless talk. I guess we'll find out.

You know what, Redman? That may just be a sensationalistic headline, and the involvement of the brother and sister may have been no more than careless talk. I guess we'll find out.
I was responding to the overall situation, and also more specifically to this:
People are so stupid.

Good god.

Link

UPDATE:

F'ing stupid waste. :shrug:
I really hope this is not true. The more random the better for all of us.

There is reportedly a Confession by the killer.

FORT MYERS: Sources tell us that four people have been detained in Lee County in connection with the murder of NFL star Sean Taylor and authorities are searching for a fifth.

Detectives from the Miami area are in Lee County participating in the investigation.

We have learned the names of two of the people being detained - 17 year old Eric Rivera and 18 year old Charles Wardlow.

Sources tell us the person who is the alleged shooter has confessed.

A source also tells us the suspects broke into Sean Taylor’s home a couple of weeks ago to get "a large sum of money." They went back a week later and tried to get that money, and that is when the shooting happened.

One of the four subjects being questioned was apprehended by the Florida Highway Patrol during a traffic stop.

The current CNN article is very odd. It seems to be trying to imply that his girlfriend was involves and may have been arrested, without actually saying so. But none of the (much more detailed) reports out there even mention that as a possibility.

ESPN News has a live press conference by the police department on now announcing 4 arrests and at least one confession. Key to the case was "citizen tips". It's on now.

"they were expecting an empty residence"

"motive was to steal contents of the house"

"will not talk about details of confessions"

"all 4 will be charged with murder, regardless of what they went there to do"

"we have a pretty solid case"

FORT MYERS: Sources tell us that four people have been detained in Lee County in connection with the murder of NFL star Sean Taylor and authorities are searching for a fifth.

Detectives from the Miami area are in Lee County participating in the investigation.

We have learned the names of two of the people being detained - 17 year old Eric Rivera and 18 year old Charles Wardlow.

A source also tells us the suspects broke into Sean Taylor’s home a couple of weeks ago to get "a large sum of money." They went back a week later and tried to get that money, and that is when the shooting happened.

One of the four subjects being questioned was apprehended by the Florida Highway Patrol during a traffic stop.
Sounds like these scumbags are the guys. Too bad their can never be justice on this. I know its small, but if these are the guys at least Sean can RIP without getting ripped by people saying that he "got what he deserved". That would prove just how shortsighted those people are. Knowing that this is how it may have went down just brings to reality the horrible nature of this crime.

The current CNN article is very odd. It seems to be trying to imply that his girlfriend was involves and may have been arrested, without actually saying so. But none of the (much more detailed) reports out there even mention that as a possibility.
This article?
Yeah, that's the one. Mentioning that the girlfriend made the 911 call, couldn't describe the attackers, and the line about how "authorities have said she told police she was hiding under the bedding during the attack" are the sort of things you write when you want the read to jump to conclusions, either because you can't tell the whole story yet or because you're trying to spice it up.Glad to see that apparently there's nothing to it beyond that.

More details

Police Arrest 4 In Sean Taylor Murder

Men In Custody In Fort Myers Area

MIAMI (CBS) ― Police have arrested four people in the Fort Myers area in the death of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.

Miami-Dade police department spokeswoman Linda O'Brien identified the men as: Venjah K. Hunte, 20; Eric Rivera Jr., 17; Jason Scott Mitchell, 17; and Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, 18.

At a news conference, Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said the men entered the residents and shot Taylor. Officials said they're looking into whether one or more of the suspects had previously broken into Taylor's home. They apparently believed the home was empty at the time of the shooting.

"Let me make this clear: they were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone. They were expecting a residence that was not occupied," Parker said. He added police have more than one confession in the case.

Parker said tips from the public were "absolutely key" to cracking the case.

Parker announced that murder will be the strongest charge leveled against the suspects, but determination of charges was still pending. "Who cares what they went there for. They're going to be charged with murder," he said.

KoolKat said:
phthalatemagic said:
fatness said:
I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been said - Taylor pulled a gun on some guys trying to steal his property.
Wrong.A witness with a criminal record said he did that. The police recovered no gun. The gun charge against Taylor was dropped because there was no evidence.
:confused:
Innocent till proven guilty down?
Sweet. That means I've never been drunk driving. I'll tell my parents, who caught me when I was 17 that they are full of crap.

:confused: :lmao: ;) Many people on these boards seem to love to play the antagonist.
I disagree. I don't think it was "way over the line" at all, especailly since this thread became a lot more than just a RIP thread. Somehow I don't believe everyone who has posted something other than respectful comments were banned. For me saying "if you play in the gutter long enough you will get dirty", hardly is way over the line in comparison to some of the posts in this thead by those who were not banned.
:P :cry: :cry: Nobody cares that Joe hurt your feelings by giving you a much needed time out, seriously nobody cares. IF it means THAT MUCH to you, PM Joe and :cry: for his eyes only, maybe you'll :cry: enough he'll be compelled to put you in the tantrum room again.

A source also tells us the suspects broke into Sean Taylor's home a couple of weeks ago to get "a large sum of money." They went back a week later and tried to get that money, and that is when the shooting happened.

Sounds like these scumbags are the guys. Too bad their can never be justice on this. I know its small, but if these are the guys at least Sean can RIP without getting ripped by people saying that he "got what he deserved". That would prove just how shortsighted those people are. Knowing that this is how it may have went down just brings to reality the horrible nature of this crime.
:confused:

The local NBC affiliate website had a piece where they said there is some indication that the 4 arrested men knew Sean Taylor's sister ...

Wow, that's sad.

Users who are viewing this thread