What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (1 Viewer)

MIAMI (AP) -- The alleged shooter in the murder of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor told police he and the other suspects burned their clothes in an attempt to cover up the crime.

The statement by 17-year-old Eric Rivera Jr. and those by two other suspects were released Wednesday by state prosecutors at the request of The Associated Press and other news outlets. All three statements are heavily redacted on a judge's orders, and do not contain outright confessions to the crime.

But there are hints throughout of what happened and what led up to the Nov. 26 shooting, which authorities say took place in a botched robbery attempt at Taylor's Miami home. Taylor, an All-Pro safety for the Redskins, died the next day from heavy blood loss.

Rivera, like the other suspects from the Fort Myers area, told detectives there were five people on the trip that night, although only four are charged. All five burned their shirts, gloves and other clothes after returning home following Taylor's shooting, he said.

"And why did you guys do this?" asked Miami-Dade police Det. Juan Segovia.

"Nobody can find out who did it," Rivera replied.

Another suspect, 20-year-old Jason Scott Mitchell, said he thought about coming forward when he found out it was Taylor who had been shot. Mitchell said he was told the day after the shooting by another suspect, Charles Wardlow.

"It's like when I found out who it was, it's like, I mean, I just felt like turning myself in," Mitchell told police. But he did not, and added he wasn't sure why.

Mitchell's statement also provides new details on a birthday party he attended in September at Taylor's home. Mitchell said he stayed at the house for several days, helping Taylor cut the grass and make other preparations for the party -- tasks for which he was paid $300 in $50 bills by Taylor.

The party was for Sasha Johnson, who was Taylor's sister and who was dating suspect Wardlow's nephew Christopher, Mitchell said. He said Taylor gave Johnson $10,000 in a paper bag as a birthday present, and that he saw other large sums of money in the house.

Mitchell also said he thought Taylor would be with the Redskins, who played a game that weekend in Tampa, even though he was out with a knee injury. And, he said, the group almost ran out of gas on the way back to Fort Myers but managed to scrape together $2 in change to make it home.

The third statement released Wednesday was from Venjah Hunte, 20, but it provided almost no new details. Hunte's attorney has said his client never went inside Taylor's house and did not take part in the crime.

No statement was released from Charles Wardlow, the fourth suspect.

Defense attorneys and prosecutors are barred from discussing the case with news media under a gag order issued by Miami-Dade County Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy. All four defendants have pleaded not guilty.

It is very very sad that this has happened. However, if you play in the gutter long enough, you will get dirty.
Later. Tired of asking you guys.J
I don't see that as that bad, especially compared to other comments. Very bad news about Taylor :popcorn:
*lol* JohnnyU replying to his own posts. This is classic.
Is 'Green Apple Splatter' really another account of JohnnyU's? If so that's hillarious... If so he's one crazy mofo... :thumbup:

It is very very sad that this has happened. However, if you play in the gutter long enough, you will get dirty.
I don't see that as that bad, especially compared to other comments. Very bad news about Taylor :thumbup:
Is 'Green Apple Splatter' really another account of JohnnyU's? If so that's hillarious... If so he's one crazy mofo... :thumbup:
According to a Mod here, 'Green Apple Splatter' is indeed another of JohnnyU's accounts.

I don't see that as that bad, especially compared to other comments. Very bad news about Taylor :rolleyes:
Is 'Green Apple Splatter' really another account of JohnnyU's? If so that's hillarious... If so he's one crazy mofo... :rolleyes:
According to a Mod here, 'Green Apple Splatter' is indeed another of JohnnyU's accounts.
It was especially funny when Johnny U got a 2 day ban, so Green Apple Splatter comes in and creates a new thread asking why Johnny U was banned and the mod replies, Johnny U AND Green Apple Splatter now get a 2 week ban. Classic!

For some reason it seems longer than that. That all seems several worlds ago.

The shock over his death.

The Buffalo game, a tough loss, playing with 10 men on defense, Gibbs calling 2 timeouts.

The winning streak.

The abrupt end in the playoffs.

Gibbs quitting in the offseason.

The clown show that called itself a coaching search.

The draft.

Getting beat down by the Giants in game 1.

The wins over Philly and Dallas.

The tough losses.

Seems like a long time ago. I miss seeing the guy play. I wish he was around for his kid.

HUGE loss for the Redskins. I think he would have won defensive player of the year on a regular basis at the rate he was going. I still miss him. :cry:

Was reading his Wikipedia entry (not sure how up to date it is) but apparently the shooter is finally due to go to trial April 5th.

Crazy that it's taken this long.

Was reading his Wikipedia entry (not sure how up to date it is) but apparently the shooter is finally due to go to trial April 5th.

Crazy that it's taken this long.
MIAMI — A new August trial date has been set in Miami for the alleged shooter in the 2007 slaying of former Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy said Tuesday that 22-year-old Eric Rivera Jr. will stand trial Aug. 12. The case has been delayed numerous times since Taylor was killed during what prosecutors say was a botched robbery at his Miami-area home.

Rivera and three others, all from the Fort Myers area, have pleaded not guilty and are being tried separately. Each faces a possible life sentence if convicted.

A fifth man previously pleaded guilty to murder and burglary charges and is likely to testify against the others.

Taylor starred in college at the University of Miami.

Raider Nation said:
Seeing him on the defensive side of the ball and RG3 on the offensive side would have made this Skins fan happy. What a talent he was, and how much he is missed.....
Nice sentiment, but the Skins probably wouldn't have been in position to draft RG3 if they'd had Taylor back there for the past however many seasons.

Absolute freak of nature. An unbelievable talent.

Not a skins fan by any means, but I miss watching this guy play.

Excerpt from the Greg A. Bedard MMQB Column today:

Sean Taylor, the late Washington safety who was murdered in 2007, would have turned just 31 on April 1. It’s amazing to think that he’d still be in his prime. With free safeties in such great demand now thanks to the rise in spread offenses, it sort of boggles the mind to think of what Taylor would be worth on the open market now. Some might not remember, but Taylor, at 6-2 and 212 pounds with speed and instincts, was ascending to be the equal of Ed Reed, Taylor’s predecessor at the University of Miami.

“Sean Taylor was THE greatest player I ever personally scouted, watched grow up within an organization, and became good friends with,” tweeted former NFL scout and player Louis Riddick, now an ESPN analyst. “Happy birthday Sean.”

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11063071/jury-convicts-second-man-sean-taylor-murder-trial

Jury convicts man in Sean Taylor trialMIAMI -- A Florida jury has convicted a man prosecutors called the ringleader of a botched 2007 Miami-area burglary that ended with the fatal shooting of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.

The 12-person jury deliberated nearly four hours Tuesday before finding 25-year-old Jason Mitchell guilty of first-degree felony murder and armed burglary. Trial testimony indicated that Mitchell hatched the plot for five Fort Myers-area men to burglarize Taylor's home near Miami after previously seeing large amounts of cash there.

The man who authorities say fired the fatal shot, Eric Rivera Jr., was convicted last fall of second-degree murder and sentenced to 57 years behind bars.

Two other men await trial. A third has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and burglary.

Taylor was Pro Bowl safety who also starred at the University of Miami.

Such a terrible shame. Sadly I remember it like it was yesterday since he died on my birthday ironically. I still do a lot of "what ifs?" about #21 and Len Bias.

That young man was destined for greatness and the HOF.

R.I.P Sean.  

Passed away on my birthday. 

Will always remember where I was when Sean Taylor and Len Bias died.   Still stunned by both tragic endings to two young men.  

Users who are viewing this thread