Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies

From Rotoworld...Miami-Dade police say they've found no evidence of a robbery being the motive in Sean Taylor's Sunday night shooting.

Doesn't that mean then that either the people that were there were intent on something more evil (murder), or there weren't intruders at all and something else happened?
"Can't find any evidence of a robbery" (apparently aside from the gunshot wounds :goodposting: ) seems like a huge negative pregnant, along the lines of "I didn't beat my wife last night". I guess they mean nothing was taken. A more plausible explanation at this point would seem to be that someone attempted to break in, was confronted by Taylor at some point early on, and shot Taylor and fled before stealing anything.
Nothing is plausible at this point. All they're saying is that there is no blatant evidence in this initial part of the investigation corroborating the break in angle. I don't think it's pregnant, misleading, or anything. They just don't have any evidence yet to make a statement. A gunshot wound could come from a lot of things that aren't a robbery. It could even be from Taylor's own gun if say a domestic squabble had gotten out of hand. There's no evidence that didn't happen either. The PoPo just don't have anything yet. This is akin to "no comment". Your scenario above would still be considered an attempted robbery (as well as attempted murder). What they're saying is that there is no current evidence that there was an attempted robbery, yet. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the links Faust. I still tear up a bit reading about 21. What could have been and all that....

Eleven incredible Sean Taylor stories

I have avoided this thread like the plague but I just can't not post on here. Sean Taylor was one of the all time best to ever wear a Canes Jersey...his NFL career cut short unfortunately. As a life

Sean Taylor ... who's home was he in?

Exactly. This wouldn't be the first time Sean Taylor pulled a gun on someone. For some reason I highly doubt there was a random robbery and it just happens to be this thug. Maybe he stole some of OJs junk and OJ came to get it?

Listening to 980 out of DC online and they say two TV stations and Ethan Albright report Taylor's in a coma.eta: also speculating this could be medically-induced.

Most likely until his blood pressure is up he will be in a medically induced coma to keep his body's requirements down and allow the fluids they replaced to get back up to full speed.I personally can't stand the guy on or off the field, but I really hope he pulls through and can regain his life and possibly even his career. If he lives then the Miami Metro-Dade EMS crew deserves all praises because you can bleed to death in minutes with a femoral artery injury. And I really hope they do a better job at finding the assailants than they did with the Darrent Williams shooting.
You can't stand a player on the field that plays hard every play? And you also hate him off the field beacuse he never talks to the media? A player that even Washington Homers don't really get to see all that often?

Going by what we know so far...

Someone was at the back door making a lot of noise trying to get in.

This could either mean they wanted to get him to the door, didn't know anyone was home, were on drugs and didn't realize how much noise they were making, or are just really bad burglars.

Sean Taylor went down to investigate while his girlfriend called police

Sean Taylor was shot when he investigated

This could mean that the person(s) were waiting for him, or they were surprised by him, they could have panicked, shot him, and then took off instead of continuing on to rob the place.

As far as that other incident that people keep bringing up, someone stole his stuff, and he went after them. This happens a lot, and is not a bad thing, in my opinion, maybe dumb, he probably should have let the authorities handle it, but if someone stole my stuff, and I knew who it was, I may go after them too. I don't think this makes him or me a thug or a bad person.

I hope the guy pulls through OK, and is able to play again, and whoever shot him is brought to justice.

Link

The noises Sean Taylor and his girlfriend heard in their house early Monday turned out to be their worst nightmare.

At least one armed intruder had broken into the $900,000 Palmetto Bay house of the star NFL player and were at his bedroom door. Taylor rose from bed to investigate, and just outside his bedroom, was shot in the groin and critically wounded. He collapsed back into the room, where he breathed heavily as blood gushed from his wound, according to Taylor's lawyer and family friend, Richard Sharpstein.

Taylor, a former University of Miami star and Gulliver Preparatory School graduate with a controversial past, was airlifted to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. About 20 family members and friends gathered at Ryder Trauma on Monday morning. They cried, made phone calls, talked among themselves and refused to speak with reporters.

Sharpstein said Taylor, 24, emerged from surgery around 12:30 p.m. but had lost a lot of blood and remained unconscious, possibly jeopardizing his brain. He is in intensive care and doctors have allowed his family to see him.

According to police, Miami-Dade patrol officers received a call about 1:45 a.m. Monday that Taylor had been shot in the leg. The caller told police they heard intruders at the rear door of the house, trying to pry it open.

The male homeowner went to investigate and a woman in the house then heard a shot. Paramedics responded and found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin. Detective Juan Villalba, a Miami-Dade police spokesman, said police were interviewing relatives who were potential witnesses.

Sharpstein, who represented Taylor in a previous criminal case, said Taylor and his girlfriend were in their bedroom and heard noises in the house. The couple's baby was also in the house. As he walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at Taylor. One shot hit his groin, the other missed him. Taylor's girlfriend found him breathing heavily.

''Nothing was stolen. They shot at him and fled,'' said Sharpstein, who was visiting family at the hospital. ``He is clearly the victim of assault in his own home.''

Sharpstein said someone tried to break into Taylor's house last weekend.

Retirees Pat and Jim Smith live in the house next to Taylor's. They said they heard voices outside about 2:30 a.m. and went outside to check it out. Jim Smith talked to a woman with a baby in her arms who he believes is Taylor's nanny. She said someone tried to break into Taylor's house last weekend and again earlier this weekend.

''I am going to make sure my gun is loaded,'' Jim Smith said. ``We never did have any problems here.''

The shooting happened at Taylor's home on Old Cutler Rd. in Palmetto Bay in South Dade, a four bedroom, four-bath house he bought in 2005, according to the county's property appraiser's website. The one-story, pale yellow house is protected by a white wall with black gates, and a buzzer controls access. A car draped beneath a car cover and a boat can be seen on the grounds.

Lt. Nancy Perez, a spokeswoman with the Miami-Dade Police Department, said police have been unable to talk to Taylor. They want to find out who shot him and why. They have no further information.

Taylor's family has asked that no information about his condition be released at this point, said Lorraine Nelson, a hospital spokeswoman.

Taylor, 24, is in his fourth season with the Redskins. He suffered a sprained right knee on Nov. 11 against the Philadelphia Eagles, an injury that had sidelined him indefinitely. The Redskins played the Buccaneers in Tampa Sunday.

In 2004 he was the fifth pick overall by the Redskins as one of their starting safeties after a stellar career at the University of Miami. He signed a seven-year, $18 million contract. His junior year at UM he led the Big East conference and was second in the nation in interceptions with nine.

He was an All-American, Thorpe Award finalist and Big East Defensive Player of the Year during his UM career.

Taylor is no stranger to controversy.

He was arrested in June 2005 for waving a gun at a group of people he believed had stolen his all terrain vehicle. Felony charges were dropped, but he eventually pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery. Sharpstein said Taylor was actually the victim and that charges should never have been filed against him.

After the plea, Ryan Lee Hill, one of the men in front of whom Taylor allegedly waved a gun, sued Taylor, claiming Taylor hit him repeatedly in a fight and brandished a gun at him. Because of injuries he supposedly received during the fight, including bruises to his body, Hill lost wages and incurred medical expenses.

In the lawsuit, which according to court files is still active, Hill claims Taylor and some friends went looking for people who allegedly stole his all terrain vehicles. According to the suit, Taylor pummeled Hill with his fists and called him a thief. Taylor then left and returned with more friends and pointed an assault rifle at Hill.

''Total garbage and untrue,'' Sharpstein said of Hill's account in an interview Monday.

Taylor's father, Pedro Taylor, the police chief of Florida City, could not be reached for comment. But a woman who answered the phone in his office said he was at the hospital awaiting the result of his son's surgery.

''There were a number of people who were jealous of Sean's success,'' Sharpstein said.

Before he was drafted, he was rebuked by the NFL for leaving the league's mandatory rookie symposium early, and drew a $25,000 fine.

Miami Herald Staff Writer Patricia Mazzei contributed to this report.

Edited by dgreen

Exactly. This wouldn't be the first time Sean Taylor pulled a gun on someone. For some reason I highly doubt there was a random robbery and it just happens to be this thug. Maybe he stole some of OJs junk and OJ came to get it?

Listening to 980 out of DC online and they say two TV stations and Ethan Albright report Taylor's in a coma.eta: also speculating this could be medically-induced.

Most likely until his blood pressure is up he will be in a medically induced coma to keep his body's requirements down and allow the fluids they replaced to get back up to full speed.I personally can't stand the guy on or off the field, but I really hope he pulls through and can regain his life and possibly even his career. If he lives then the Miami Metro-Dade EMS crew deserves all praises because you can bleed to death in minutes with a femoral artery injury. And I really hope they do a better job at finding the assailants than they did with the Darrent Williams shooting.
You can't stand a player on the field that plays hard every play? And you also hate him off the field beacuse he never talks to the media? A player that even Washington Homers don't really get to see all that often?
What a bunch of wild, unfounded speculation. Lots of players play hard on the field every play, am I supposed to like all of them based on that? And what do his media activities have to do with whether I like him or not? And what the hell does it matter to you if or why I don't like him? I didn't bag on him or throw him down, instead I'm wishing him a full recovery and you bag on me for it? :goodposting:

What a bunch of wild, unfounded speculation. Lots of players play hard on the field every play, am I supposed to like all of them based on that? And what do his media activities have to do with whether I like him or not? And what the hell does it matter to you if or why I don't like him? I didn't bag on him or throw him down, instead I'm wishing him a full recovery and you bag on me for it? :goodposting:
Just curious as to how you can say "I can't stand him on or off the field" when he is one of the quietest players in the NFL.

Link

Sharpstein, who represented Taylor in a previous criminal case, said Taylor and his girlfriend were in their bedroom and heard noises in the house. The couple's baby was also in the house. As he walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at Taylor. One shot hit his groin, the other missed him. Taylor's girlfriend found him breathing heavily.

''Nothing was stolen. They shot at him and fled,''

Doesn't sound like robbery was a motive at all here.

Link

...Sharpstein, who represented Taylor in a previous criminal case, said Taylor and his girlfriend were in their bedroom and heard noises in the house. The couple's baby was also in the house. As he walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at Taylor. One shot hit his groin, the other missed him. Taylor's girlfriend found him breathing heavily.

''Nothing was stolen. They shot at him and fled,'' said Sharpstein, who was visiting family at the hospital. ``He is clearly the victim of assault in his own home.''...

If true, this is coming from a lawyer, that changes a lot.

The person shot him the legs, possibly on purpose, maybe they weren't trying to kill him, just ruin his career?

Link

That doesn't tell us if it was or wasn't. They very well could have planned to rob the place but when they realized people were home they panicked. Shot a guy and fled asap.

I wonder if they have police reports of the two attempted prior break-ins. Other than the girl holding the baby, Taylors attorney and the woman who called the police the night of the shooting there appears to be no hard evidence of any attempted break-ins. Something seems awfully amiss about all of this.

What a bunch of wild, unfounded speculation. Lots of players play hard on the field every play, am I supposed to like all of them based on that? And what do his media activities have to do with whether I like him or not? And what the hell does it matter to you if or why I don't like him? I didn't bag on him or throw him down, instead I'm wishing him a full recovery and you bag on me for it? :rolleyes:
Just curious as to how you can say "I can't stand him on or off the field" when he is one of the quietest players in the NFL.
Well, because I don't like him. I don't have to justify that statement to you, especially when you come at me with a bunch of stupid assumptions about it. But anyone who feels the need to lay out a punter at the probowl or round up an armed posse to go after his stolen ATVs makes my #### list. Just because he doesn't talk to the media doesn't mean there's a vacuum around him and that nothing is known about him. But that's not important, you chose to call me out because I wished him well even though I don't like him (for reasons which you chose to apply to me as well for some reason) and that's just plain stupid.

I wonder if they have police reports of the two attempted prior break-ins. Other than the girl holding the baby, Taylors attorney and the woman who called the police the night of the shooting there appears to be no hard evidence of any attempted break-ins. Something seems awfully amiss about all of this.

I'm listening to a spokesperson with the Dade County PD right now.She said on the 18th Sean Taylor filed a report for a robbery at the house.

I'm listening to a spokesperson with the Dade County PD right now.She said on the 18th Sean Taylor filed a report for a robbery at the house.
Now were getting somewhere. Thanks

From Rotoworld...Miami-Dade police say they've found no evidence of a robbery being the motive in Sean Taylor's Sunday night shooting.

Doesn't that mean then that either the people that were there were intent on something more evil (murder), or there weren't intruders at all and something else happened?
Why are we even speculating about this?
Trying to connect the dots with the little information we have daveandken.
Sorry - just seems like a sensitive subject that we'd actually want facts on.
I think the police lack of comment is very telling.

Link

That doesn't tell us if it was or wasn't. They very well could have planned to rob the place but when they realized people were home they panicked. Shot a guy and fled asap.
Most robbers don't proceed directly to the bedroom, burst in and shoot, then flee. Ruins the whole "having time to grab stuff" angle. Robbery may have been the motive, but like I said it doesn't "sound" like a robbery motive. Please not that "doesn't sound" is not the same as "isn't".

Link

Most robbers don't proceed directly to the bedroom, burst in and shoot, then flee. Ruins the whole "having time to grab stuff" angle. Robbery may have been the motive, but like I said it doesn't "sound" like a robbery motive. Please not that "doesn't sound" is not the same as "isn't".
Most people who shot someone are not thinking rationally afterwards.

If I'm a robber, I would go in and subdue the people in the bedroom all quiet-like so that I could go about taking stuff. What I wouldn't do is go in guns blazing so that I have to leave without getting any goods, rational or not.

If I'm a robber, I would go in and subdue the people in the bedroom all quiet-like so that I could go about taking stuff. What I wouldn't do is go in guns blazing so that I have to leave without getting any goods, rational or not.
Wasn't Taylor up and about "investigating" things at the time he was shot? From what I've heard he was. If that was the case, it wasn't likely that he could have just been subdued. Rather that he startled the buglers and they simply took action.

Going by what we know so far...

Someone was at the back door making a lot of noise trying to get in.

This could either mean they wanted to get him to the door, didn't know anyone was home, were on drugs and didn't realize how much noise they were making, or are just really bad burglars.

Do we know this for sure? Neighbors reported a lot of noise, but this could have been the commotion after the shooting, not before.

Telling of what? That their initial wee morning hours worth of investigating hasn't provided a smoking gun piece of evidence?
12+ hours and we have no real timeline of what occurred. No description of possible suspects and the wife and mother have been at the police station all day(according to some reports)?

It has nothing to do with Taylor, just an idiot poster stirring stuff up for no reason other than to "protect" taylor's image, when all I was doing was wishing him a good recovery.

#1 why call someone else an idiot here?#2 why tell everyone that you can't stand the guy and then rip someone else for trying to "protect" taylor's image?#3 are you always this antagonistic?

Wasn't Taylor up and about "investigating" things at the time he was shot? From what I've heard he was. If that was the case, it wasn't likely that he could have just been subdued. Rather that he startled the buglers and they simply took action.

"As he walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at Taylor" We'll see. I'm not saying it wasn't a robbery, just that it doesn't sound like a robbery. Based on this account, it seems more likely that Taylor was a target rather than a victim of robbery who surprised the burglar(s). And I don't care how tough a safety you are on the field or with a posse loaded with guns, when you get out of bed and aomeone points a gun at you, it's pretty easy to be subdued.

ORLY? That's why you were called out? :goodposting:

Wait, let me bold the part you missed. :thumbup: You're usually a pretty good poster but if you want to jump in me here and carry over the conversation from the other ST thread then you're really going down in my book. This has nothing to do with my feelings about Taylor. i said I didn't like him but hope for the best and someone other than you decided to slam me for not liking him, even giving his version of why I don't like him. It has nothing to do with Taylor, just an idiot poster stirring stuff up for no reason other than to "protect" taylor's image, when all I was doing was wishing him a good recovery.
Take it to the FFA, guys.

12+ hours and we have no real timeline of what occurred. No description of possible suspects and the wife and mother have been at the police station all day(according to some reports)?

The Dade County PD spokesperson I heard said there are still people they'd like to talk to. She also said they are unsure who all was staying at the house. There may have been family members there, but they aren't sure whether they were his family members or her family members. The 911 call was made by the girlfriend.

"As he walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at Taylor" We'll see. I'm not saying it wasn't a robbery, just that it doesn't sound like a robbery. Based on this account, it seems more likely that Taylor was a target rather than a victim of robbery who surprised the burglar(s). And I don't care how tough a safety you are on the field or with a posse loaded with guns, when you get out of bed and aomeone points a gun at you, it's pretty easy to be subdued.

You make it look like he was the target of some sort of "hit." I find it a little harder to believe that. If that was the case, these "robbers" wouldn't have only hit him once. In the leg of all places too.

What's your rooting interest in this one, sweeney? You're all over this thread, saying you don't like the guy, saying it's not a robbery, picking apart news reports, etc.
I said it once in the same sentence as wishing him well. Sort of like someone saying I'm not a Pats fan but I hope they go all the way. Just stating that even though I don't like the guy I am putting that aside to hope he pulls through. I didn't say it's not a robbery. I said it doesn't sound like a robbery based on that ccount of the events. I even went so ar as to say that "doesn't sound" is not the same as "isn't". And I haven't picked apart any news reports. In fact I have been using them as support. I really don't see why I am getting raked over the coals here with all the tools making classless statements in here. I never said anything bad about him and I wished him a quick recovery. Other than that, it's a bunch of guys taking things I didn't say and makeing me out to be some bad guy here.

Not good news

Posted at 3:12 PM ET, 11/26/2007

Sean Taylor "Clinging To Life"

Richard Sparpstein, who has represented Sean Taylor in legal matters in the past and is a friend of the family, said moments ago that the player's life is hanging in the balance in the hospital. Sharpstein, speaking from the hospital, said Taylor is "nonresponsive and unconscious" and the doctors are "worried about a possible brain injury or death."

Sharpstein, who has been with Taylor's family at the hospital much of the day, said that there are major worries that Taylor may have lost oxygen to the brain, and that no other procedures are planned for right now. "They're waiting to see if he comes to," Sharpstein said. He was shot in the groin/thigh area near the femoral artery and lost copious amounts of blood. He was airlifted to the trauma center and endured several hours of surgery, Sharpstein said.

Taylor is in intensive care, Sharpstein said, and his girlfriend and child were not injured in the attack. Sharpstein said Taylor was sleeping when he heard a noise in the living room. The intruders were at his bedroom and Taylor reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency, and two shots were fired, with one striking his leg.

"Right now he's clinging to life and we're all praying he makes it," Sharpstein said.

Edited by fatness

ESPN was just interviewing a Wash Post writer who said the word he had from Skins players is that Taylor was unconscious but that it isn't a coma. There is concern about brain damage though.

Edited by GregR

More will be revealed but based on what we know now, this wouldn't be the first time a homeowner surprised a couple of inexperienced but well-armed burglars and was shot, the thieves then fleeing emptyhanded. As an aside, my dad served in Vietnam in the late 60s. He once saw a guy take a bullet in the femoral artery ... the guy bled to death in 1-2 minutes and there was nothing anyone could do to help. My thoughts and prayers are with Sean Taylor and his family.

You make it look like he was the target of some sort of "hit." I find it a little harder to believe that. If that was the case, these "robbers" wouldn't have only hit him once. In the leg of all places too.

You make it sound like it was their plan all along for Taylor to come out of his bedroom and get shot in the leg. If it was a "hit", surely they hoped to break in undetected and find Taylor et al still asleep.

Link

It's certainly possible. They fired twice and the one time they hit him seems to have done enough damage to possibly kill him. And following your own logic, if they shot him they might not think rationally. Look, all I said was that based on the account that it didn't sound like robbery. THAT"S ALL I SAID. If people would actually just read what's there and not add in stuff that wasn't said then there would be no arguments like this. I DON"T KNWO WHAT HAPPENED, NOR AM I IMPLYING THAT I KNOW, NOR AM I THEORIZING WHY HE WAS SHOT. ALL I SAID WAS THAT IT DIDN'T SOUND LIKE ROBBERY WAS THE MOTIVE BASED ON THE ACCOUNT I REPLIED TO.

You make it sound like it was their plan all along for Taylor to come out of his bedroom and get shot in the leg. If it was a "hit", surely they hoped to break in undetected and find Taylor et al still asleep.
No, I'm making it sound as though these were inexperienced thieves who panicked when they actually encountered people.

Seems odd the same house would be robbed 3 times in the past few months? While other houses in the neighborhood were not (according to the neighbors statements to the paper)

Someone commented regarding hiring a security guard... if the house my newborn lives in has been robbed 2 times prior and I have the cash to up my security I would. Get a big dog for the yard or something. What would you guys do if your house got robbed 2 times in the last couple of months?

It will be interesting to see what develops (if anything) from this story.

• Like 1

OK Guys,

Fatness's post #180 is appropriate, and if y'all want to continue to get information in this thread, keep things factual.

This is not the time or place to be arguing over the victims' (his child was in the house when Taylor was shot - how's that for traumatic) public image(s) or others' perceptions of Sean Taylor.

He's almost bled to death, evidently. Keep that in mind before engaging in more bashing, y'all.

Please keep it cool from here on out.

Sincerely,

Mark W.

Seems odd the same house would be robbed 3 times in the past few months? While other houses in the neighborhood were not (according to the neighbors statements to the paper)

Someone commented regarding hiring a security guard... if the house my newborn lives in has been robbed 2 times prior and I have the cash to up my security I would. Get a big dog for the yard or something. What would you guys do if your house got robbed 2 times in the last couple of months?

Move.

It has nothing to do with Taylor, just an idiot poster stirring stuff up for no reason other than to "protect" taylor's image, when all I was doing was wishing him a good recovery.

#1 why call someone else an idiot here?#2 why tell everyone that you can't stand the guy and then rip someone else for trying to "protect" taylor's image?#3 are you always this antagonistic?
1. Because the guy takes a well wishing statement I made and turned it into an indictment of me, even supplying me with reasons why I don't like him. A completely unnecessary response to my well wishes, which makes his reply idiotic2. Because he's seriously hurt and I didn't make it into a Sean Taylor's a bad guy thread. I just wished him well and the guy comes at me for nothing. See 313. Yes, when people come at me for no reason, especially for stuff I never said or stuff they added themselves to what I sad, I tend to get defensive.

So what do you think this is "telling" us? 20 family members have been at the hospital since this happened. Taylor's unconscious and may die. It's not hard to understand that police haven't finished talking to witnesses yet, and that police have therefore said nothing.You've got some other information to offer?
Sometimes what they don't say is more telling. Don't get a big head cuz a mod named you. Edited by SofaKings

FWIW:

A week before Washington Redskins player Sean Taylor was shot in his Palmetto Bay house, a burglar broke in, rifled through his things, and left a knife on a bed inside his house, according to police records.

Creepy.
This would also explain the family having such a protracted discussion with them. If this is true then it does sound potentially more like a targeted thing. Still, there's too much room for rumors and speculation even in these published reports, so I'm not buying much of anything except that an intruder obviously shot ST in his house.

FWIW:

A week before Washington Redskins player Sean Taylor was shot in his Palmetto Bay house, a burglar broke in, rifled through his things, and left a knife on a bed inside his house, according to police records.

Ok WTF is that? Is that like leaving a horses head on the bed? So the burglar didn't take anything? This is not sounding good.

The lawyer's comments seem to make it look like that. Of course, those comments don't really add up with other reports. Where did the girlfriend dial 911 from if the intruders burst into the bedroom to shoot him before he could even get to the door? The lawyer's account doesn't sound like a robbery at all. It sounds like someone with a beef against Taylor that wanted to seriously injure him in some way (because if they wanted to kill him, it would appear they had ample opportunity and chose not to), of course I'm not ready to take the lawyer's comments as fact just yet.

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I've heard numerous times over the years that it's not unusual for burglars that had an easy time robbing a place, to wait awhile for the goods to be replaced and then hit it again.