What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be named in the Mitchell Report? (1 Viewer)

Biggest Name Pitcher

• Roger Clemens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andy Pettite

• Roy Halladay

• Roy Oswalt

• Randy Johnson

• Curt Schilling

• John Smoltz

• Trevor Hoffman

• Mariano Rivera

• Johan Santana

• Other (list in your post bro)

• Total voters

randall146

Footballguy
I am generally against mindless speculation about these kinds of things, but on the eve of the Mitchell Report being released I thought it might be fun to, um, mindlessly speculate about who might be named. I've given a few stars and/or likely steroid users, but feel free to add more names to this thread of suspicion.

I left out the biggest names already outed, obviously, like Bonds and Sheffield.

I vote for Pujols and Clemens.

I think the Mets trainer was a big part of the investigation, so I think we see alot of Mets:

Piazza, Robbie Alomar, Ricky Henderson, Julio Franco.

I forgot to list Piazza as a choice. Seems like a natural with the Mets connection.

I'm amazed that Clemens is the unanimous pitcher choice so far. Good times.

I was listening to WFAN(NY sports radio) and they said possibly 80 names on the list...

I voted Clemens and Soriano...I wouldn't be surprised to see some more names in the poll listed.

Interesting timing on the Tejada deal. I'll say him. Probably not the biggest name, but I think the O's know more than we do and didn't want to deal with the aftermath of him being named.

Nomar I think is a shoe in IMO. His power seemingly disappeared and noticeably got smaller.

Maybe Julio is a freak of nature, but I think he'll be in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a good percentage of guys in this report who are no longer playing.

Luis Gonzalez and Brian Giles are 2 players I have always thought of as users.

I don't think I will be shocked by any of these names unless Derek Jeter is on this list. He seems like such a good guy.

Also, there is a good chance that there will be more pitchers than hitters named.

Reports have mentioned multiple all stars and MVPs. Other than Bonds, what other MVP options are there (given that they have used this in a plural form).

Going back to 1990 . . .

Rollins

Howard

Pujols

Kent

Chipper

Sosa

Walker

Caminiti

Larkin

Bagwell

Pendleton

A-Rod

Morneau

Vlad

Tejada

Ichiro

Giambi

I-Rod

Gonzalez

Griffey

Vaughn

Big Hurt

Eck

Ripken

Henederson

Reports have mentioned multiple all stars and MVPs. Other than Bonds, what other MVP options are there (given that they have used this in a plural form).Going back to 1990 . . .RollinsHowardPujolsKentChipperSosaWalkerCaminitiLarkinBagwellPendletonA-RodMorneauVladTejadaIchiroGiambiI-RodGonzalezGriffeyVaughnBig HurtEckRipkenHenederson
Put me down for Pujols, Caminiti, Kent, and Sosa.

I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal, public opinion wise. So they took steroids? Meh. At the height of the 'Roid Era, there was this grand love affair between the public and MLB. Mac and Sosa chasing Maris, new ballparks opening left and right...the owners couldn't count their money fast enough. MLB and the owner's knew the players were juicing and they let it happen by caving to the player's association. Nobody cared then and few will care now after the fact.

From another forum:

MLBtraderumors has posted the same thing that I just heard from a person that I have known for the past few years that is in a NL west organization, and just reported on WFAN. Yankees are in for a bad day, possibly having more players on that list than any other team. It includes past and current yankees. Jeter, Arod, Mo are not on the list.
Honestly I dont give a #### about anyone else. Im assuming Pettitte & Clemens are on it.

From another forum:

MLBtraderumors has posted the same thing that I just heard from a person that I have known for the past few years that is in a NL west organization, and just reported on WFAN. Yankees are in for a bad day, possibly having more players on that list than any other team. It includes past and current yankees. Jeter, Arod, Mo are not on the list.
Honestly I dont give a #### about anyone else. Im assuming Pettitte & Clemens are on it.
I've heard the same. Also heard that no Mets are on the list which I find hard to beleive. It is not going to be a good day for some Yankees though.

From another forum:

I've heard the same. Also heard that no Mets are on the list which I find hard to beleive. It is not going to be a good day for some Yankees though.
Honestly I really dont care. Hundreds of major leaguers have used steroids. If I had to guess Id say 50%. Every team has tons of players that use steroids. And the evidence on this report (was it all based on this former Mets clubhouse attendant?) might not be very concrete. Ill wait and see. But I do admit if those 3 are on it (depending upon what evidence they have) it would bother me a bit.

I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal, public opinion wise. So they took steroids? Meh. At the height of the 'Roid Era, there was this grand love affair between the public and MLB. Mac and Sosa chasing Maris, new ballparks opening left and right...the owners couldn't count their money fast enough. MLB and the owner's knew the players were juicing and they let it happen by caving to the player's association. Nobody cared then and few will care now after the fact.
The owners and players all knowing about it is different than the public not caring, though. I think MLB will take a big hit on this, worse than the strike year.I think in the Mac/Sosa year the public was not as desensitized to the idea of Steroids and PEDs as it is now.Although I agree with you and others generally who say they won't be shocked by anyone being outed, it would be absolutely crushing to baseball generally if Jeter was on the list. That's be a real "where have you gone Joe DImaggio" moment.

From another forum:

Reports are saying that no current Mets...

The owners and players all knowing about it is different than the public not caring, though. I think MLB will take a big hit on this, worse than the strike year.I think in the Mac/Sosa year the public was not as desensitized to the idea of Steroids and PEDs as it is now.Although I agree with you and others generally who say they won't be shocked by anyone being outed, it would be absolutely crushing to baseball generally if Jeter was on the list. That's be a real "where have you gone Joe DImaggio" moment.
I agree with Polecat especially considering we have no clue what evidence they got on these guys. But I also agree with you somewhat in that there are a few players that if they were on the list would be VERY damaging to baseball. Jeter is one of them.

From another forum:

Yeah, doesnt mean no old Mets. The Mets attendant worked there from 1985-1996 right?

this is going to b an awful day. As a yankee fan, i have a very bad feeling im going to be very dissapointed.

LMAO @ Shady already blowing off the report since the Yanks are due to get creamed by it

:bag:

shadyridr 5

randall146 3

TLEF316 1

TheGooRoo 1

scapegoat 1

Balco 1

greenroom 1

AmpLee 1

Wrigley 1

LMAO @ Shady already blowing off the report since the Yanks are due to get creamed by it :(shadyridr 5randall146 3TLEF316 1TheGooRoo 1scapegoat 1Balco 1greenroom 1AmpLee 1Wrigley 1
Ive been saying this report is useless for months now :goodposting: You dont think every team has a ton of players on steroids?

shadyridr said:
Urn said:
ooofffaaa said:
shadyridr said:
From another forum:

Yeah, doesnt mean no old Mets. The Mets attendant worked there from 1985-1996 right?
Worked there between 1985-1995. Claims to have sold the juice between 1996 to 2005.And there is evidence . . .

Phone records

Cashed checks

It would never have gotten to this point if they didn't have some solid evidence to back it up.

shadyridr said:
Urn said:
ooofffaaa said:
shadyridr said:
From another forum:

Worked there between 1985-1995. Claims to have sold the juice between 1996 to 2005.And there is evidence . . .

Phone records

Cashed checks

It would never have gotten to this point if they didn't have some solid evidence to back it up.
thanks

hopefully baseball keeps heading in a new direction towards steroid and hgh use. Im tired of all the criticism for the sport i love so much.

Bob Klapisch in the Bergen Record:

Regardless of where the pendulum rests, this will be a sea-change moment in baseball history, particularly in New York. According to one industry official, "several" prominent Yankees will be named by Mitchell in his 2 p.m. news conference in Manhattan. The official, who spoke to a third party who'd seen the final report, predicted, "It's going to be a rough day in the Bronx" after the identities are made public.

No Mets from the current 40-man roster are named, according to the same source.

'Current' Mets. Wouldn't be shocked if Hundley and Piazza were named.

Oh boy

Bob Klapisch in the Bergen Record:Regardless of where the pendulum rests, this will be a sea-change moment in baseball history, particularly in New York. According to one industry official, "several" prominent Yankees will be named by Mitchell in his 2 p.m. news conference in Manhattan. The official, who spoke to a third party who'd seen the final report, predicted, "It's going to be a rough day in the Bronx" after the identities are made public.No Mets from the current 40-man roster are named, according to the same source.'Current' Mets. Wouldn't be shocked if Hundley and Piazza were named.Oh boy
Doesnt George Mitchell have part ownership in the Red Sox? I hope this report is unbiased. Anyway, it doesnt surprise me that several prominent Yanks are on it with Clemens, Pettitte, Sheffield, Giambi, & Grimsley all being in the news linked to steroids in the past.

i honestly dont know what im gonna do if jeter is on the list. It would probably be the worst moment of my life as a sports fan. (right up there with pretty much every jets game)

i honestly dont know what im gonna do if jeter is on the list. It would probably be the worst moment of my life as a sports fan. (right up there with pretty much every jets game)
Imagine Mattingly was on the list :cry:
with all the injuries late in his career, its possible. I'm 24, so i was becoming a yankee fan just after mattingly's prime. He was my favorite player when i was a little boy. That would really suck, but Jeter would be absolutely devestating. The guy is right up there with the big 4 as far as being the symbol of what it means to be a yankee. I dont even know what the hell to say if he turns up dirty.

I'm a Yankee hater and I hope he's not on there. Always respected DJ.

shadyridr said:
Doctor Detroit said:
There goes Cobalt 27's Bonds argument. If there are a boatload of Yankees on the list that's gonna hurt. :ouch:
What was cobalt's Bonds argument?
The asterisk. I said that's fine if the Yankees World Championships get them too and he said he needed more evidence. HELLO EVIDENCE!

As long as Jeter and Mo aren't on the list, I wouldn't be particularly saddened. Obviously I'm hoping guys like Pettitte, Clemens, and Tino aren't on it but I have a strong suspicion that they are.

Aside from the names who have already been directly linked in some way (either through Grimsely, Canseco, BALCO, or the recent Florida/Albany cases), I'd say Piazza, Hundley, Bagwell, Luis Gonzalez have GOT to be on. Plus Gonzalez and Tino are BFF from their Tampa days, so it wouldn't be shocking to see the two of them on there. A few more potentials:

Jeff Kent >>>>>>>

Edgardo Alfonzo >>>>>>>>>>> All three with a Mets connection to Radomsky

Jeromy Burnitz >>>>>>>

Julio Franco

Todd Helton

Larry Walker

Jim Thome

Juan Gonzalez

Jim Edmonds

Adrian Beltre

Javy Lopez

Shawn Green

Frank Thomas

Mark Teixeira (dark horse)

Bret Boone (though I think he was implicated by Canseco at one point)

Richard Hidalgo

I wonder how far back the names go. Like, is it 60-80 CURRENT players? Because guys like Jay Bell (38 HR in 1999) and Kevin Elster (24 HR in 1996) are mortal locks for having taken roids at some point. But if the list is only current, fairly recent guys OR focuses exclusively on the big names, then guys like this won't be anywhere on it even though they're obvious.

shadyridr said:
Doctor Detroit said:
There goes Cobalt 27's Bonds argument. If there are a boatload of Yankees on the list that's gonna hurt. :ouch:
What was cobalt's Bonds argument?
The asterisk. I said that's fine if the Yankees World Championships get them too and he said he needed more evidence. HELLO EVIDENCE!
I think its assinine to think any less than 50% of players were on the juice at some point. Thats why I was never big Bonds basher.

Users who are viewing this thread