What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers 2008 (1 Viewer)

Saw that RT Shane Olivea was released by the Chargers...I thought he was a pretty good player, why the release? Should the Steelers be interested?
If memory serves, he was not a high draft pick. Was he still playing on his rookie contract? Must have wanted a hell of a raise....

I found this article interesting. I was under the impression the Steelers were in good shape, cap wise (at least $16 - $19 million under).

The other interesting thing is that Bouchette feels the Steelers will pull the contract offer to Starks if he comes in to sign it. I didn't know you could do that once you slapped the transition or franchise tag on a player.

Free agency no big deal for cap-starved Steelers

Friday, February 29, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In many NFL cities, it's Christmas Day, the start of free agency and with it the wave of big-money signings across the league. In Pittsburgh, it's just another Friday in the offseason.

The Steelers have so little room under the salary cap, and have such a conservative philosophy to go with it, that free agency has come to mean a door that only opens outward as their own players flee the premises.

Guard Alan Faneca will lead the pack and might already have a deal in place this morning. The New York Jets have a strong interest, it has been reported by several outlets. Sources have said Faneca will receive a "whopping" deal today.

Of course, teams were not allowed to speak with prospective free agents or their representatives before midnight last night, but that rule is ignored more often than offensive holding. Most of the coveted unrestricted free agents have deals in place long before they can become official today. Or did anyone think those mega-million contracts that will be signed today were all negotiated this morning from scratch?

The Steelers issued one-year contract tenders to four of their five restricted free agents yesterday, as required if they wanted to maintain their rights to match any contract they might sign with another team.

The four are offensive tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu, wide receiver Nate Washington and long-snapper Greg Warren. They did not make one to linebacker Andre Frazier, thus making him an unrestricted free agent.

The tenders issued to Washington and Kemoeatu were for $1,417,000, which means the club would receive a second-round draft choice for each if they sign elsewhere and they do not match. Essex and Warren received tenders of $927,000 each; Essex would bring a third-round pick in return if they did not match, while Warren would bring nothing if they did not match.

The Steelers did make one significant contract offer before free agency began; it went to backup offensive tackle Max Starks. They tendered him the required one-year deal of $6,895,000 when they made him their transition player last week.

Of course, Starks will never see that money from the Steelers. He has not yet signed the tender, but the Steelers cannot afford to pay him that much money for 2008. Not only would it collapse their salary cap plans, it would make him the highest-paid player on the team.

Either coach Mike Tomlin and his new staff made a monumental mistake when they bumped Starks from his starting job at right tackle after two years last season in favor of Willie Colon, or the Steelers had other things in mind when they made him their transition player.

It does buy them an extra seven days if Starks signs elsewhere, because they can elect to match any contract he signs in free agency and keep him (if they do not, he leaves without compensation). Had they not made him their transition player, Starks could have signed elsewhere for a relative pittance and the Steelers would have had little recourse.

Now, the Steelers hope Starks does sign elsewhere for a pittance because it would be easy for them to match. If he signs for a lot, they can let him go. But what if he wants to come in and sign the one-year deal for nearly $7 million? It's likely they will pull the offer before he can find a pen.

Sources say they have not even tried to negotiate a long-term deal with Starks. The reasoning is another old Steelers philosophy: They do not want to give him a starting point, so he can shop their deal around to other teams. There are two ways that Starks will remain with the Steelers next season -- if he receives little interest from other teams, or if he signs a contract with another team the Steelers believe is reasonable to match.

Left tackle Marvel Smith has the highest 2008 salary of the Steelers' offensive linemen at $4.4 million. Guard Kendall Simmons is next at $3.4 million and center Sean Mahan has a $2,175,000 salary. Willie Colon, promoted to starting right tackle last season over Starks, will make $445,000 in 2008.

I guess the cap numbers of $16-$19 under where offbase because Bouchette is saying the Steelers are $2.4 million under in today's PG. I guess Starks counts for $7 million and the RFA tenders amount to about $4-$5 million.

In any case I doubt the Steelers are going to get many visits from free agents this offseason. I sure hope they draft well...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the cap numbers of $16-$19 under where offbase because Bouchette is saying the Steelers are $2.4 million under in today's PG. I guess Starks counts for $7 million and the RFA tenders amount to about $4-$5 million.In any case I doubt the Steelers are going to get many visits from free agents this offseason. I sure hope they draft well...
This draft is going to be a tell tale sign which direction this franchise is headed. The last couple of drafts have not been good as a whole. It amazes me how the Steelers are always up against the cap yet lose free agents every year and never sign any players coming in to big deals. While teams like the Redskins throw money around at free agents every year. The money that some of these mediocre free agents are getting is outrageous this year, but I guess that is what the market bears.

In any case I doubt the Steelers are going to get many visits from free agents this offseason. I sure hope they draft well...
I bascially agree with this analysis. After they extend Roeth, they'll be done as far as the spending goes if those #s are accurate. Maybe a few minor depth type guys, or ST types, but that's probably about it. Now, they could free up some more room by cutting some remaining dead weight(Cedric Wilson, I'm looking at you), or renegotiating a couple contracts(which they also seem to do every year) so we'll see.I also think that they keep that Bouchette article around so they can dust it off every year and just change the date and the names. I swear I read that verbatim, swapping out the player names, for the last 4-5 years.

Progress made on Big Ben's contract

Sunday, March 02, 2008

The agents for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will meet in Pittsburgh today with Steelers officials to try to nail down a contract extension.

Ryan and Bruce Tollner have made progress on the new contract for Roethlisberger, who has two years left on his first deal from 2004.

Both Roethlisberger and the Steelers have expressed a desire to have a new contract in place as soon as possible

First published on March 2, 2008 at 12:00 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08062/861895-66.stm

In the meantime, while the Steelers placed the transition tag on backup offensive tackle Max Starks, there have been no negotiations to try to sign him to a long-term contract. Eugene Parker, his agent, said he does not know what the club's intentions are for Starks.

With only $2.4 million worth of room under the salary cap, the Steelers cannot afford to keep for long the nearly $7 million of salary cap reserved for Starks, not if they intend to conclude negotiations to extend quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's contract.

The team can withdraw the transition tag at any point, which would make Starks an unrestricted free agent. Starks is the only player in the NFL to receive a transition tag, something the Steelers have not used in years. The tag is not binding either way unless Starks would sign it, but it does give the Steelers the right to match any contract Starks might sign elsewhere.

Frenchy Fuqua said:

Sunday, March 02, 2008

The agents for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will meet in Pittsburgh today with Steelers officials to try to nail down a contract extension.

Ryan and Bruce Tollner have made progress on the new contract for Roethlisberger, who has two years left on his first deal from 2004.

Both Roethlisberger and the Steelers have expressed a desire to have a new contract in place as soon as possible

:2cents:

Frenchy Fuqua said:

Sunday, March 02, 2008

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08062/861895-66.stm

In the meantime, while the Steelers placed the transition tag on backup offensive tackle Max Starks, there have been no negotiations to try to sign him to a long-term contract. Eugene Parker, his agent, said he does not know what the club's intentions are for Starks.

With only $2.4 million worth of room under the salary cap, the Steelers cannot afford to keep for long the nearly $7 million of salary cap reserved for Starks, not if they intend to conclude negotiations to extend quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's contract.

The team can withdraw the transition tag at any point, which would make Starks an unrestricted free agent. Starks is the only player in the NFL to receive a transition tag, something the Steelers have not used in years. The tag is not binding either way unless Starks would sign it, but it does give the Steelers the right to match any contract Starks might sign elsewhere.
Steelers are allowing the market to dictate Starks' price tag instead of the Steelers setting the benchmark for other teams. He will either sign a reasonable deal with the Steelers or another team. The Steelers will not have him play at the transition price tag for 2008. I know some fans and media have questioned why the Steelers did not trade Faneca last yr while they could have gotten something for him, but by letting him go as a FA they now will still receive probably a 3rd comp pick and they also got to use his services last yr.

Frenchy Fuqua said:

Sunday, March 02, 2008

:goodposting:
Roeth is due a $3M roster bonus very soon and I think the FO wants to get the restructure in place prior to that deadline.

Good news

Roethlisberger, Steelers close on contract extensionBy Scott BrownTRIBUNE-REVIEWSunday, March 2, 2008Ben Roethlisberger's agents, Ryan and Bruce Tollner, are in Pittsburgh and will meet with the Steelers tomorrow as the two sides work toward a long-term contract extension for the Pro Bowl quarterback.Roethlisberger, who turned 26 today, has two years left on the contract he signed after the Steelers took him with the 11th overall pick of the 2004 NFL Draft.Ryan Tollner said a contract extension for Roethlisberger is "very close. We're hopefully here to finish it."Roethlisberger is the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl. He threw 32 touchdown passes in 2007, setting the Steelers' single-season record in the category.In other Steelers news, the team will host Patriots defensive back Eugene Wilson Tuesday, according to Wilson's agent, James Sims.Wilson, an unrestricted free agent, is visiting the Buccaneers prior to coming to Pittsburgh. The Titans have also shown interest in him.John Harris contributed to this story.

KDKA reporting that the deal with Ben will be a very long term, high dollar contract, approaching $100 million. No mention of how much is guaranteed.

Interesting that the Steelers are bringing in Eugene Wilson... maybe they are thinking Clark is hurt more than we think and/or Anthony Smith is not the answer...

KDKA reporting that the deal with Ben will be a very long term, high dollar contract, approaching $100 million. No mention of how much is guaranteed.
Here's a link from the KDKA websitelink

Sources: Big Ben & Steelers May Be Close To Deal

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Ben Roethlisberger has put together a terrific resume in four years as quarterback for the Steelers.

And even though he still has two years left on his current deal, KDKA's Bob Pompeani reports that the Steelers could be close to signing Big Ben to a brand new long-term deal that will make him, by far, the highest paid player in franchise history.

The new deal could be announced as soon as Monday.

Pompeani reports that sources indicate this deal will be somewhere in the neighborhood of eight to 10 years, and based on what the recent market has been for quarterbacks who just signed, guys like Marc Bulger and Tony Romo, the guaranteed part of this deal will be in excess of $30 million.

Roethlisberger has a terrific four year resume and last year proved that the previous season was an aberration. He has emerged as a top tier quarterback and will be paid accordingly.

Pompeani also reports that when he spoke with Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert last month, they both indicated that signing Roethlisberger was their No. 1 off-season priority.

This deal will be very long, so as to help pro-rate the guarantees, which could make the total number of dollars on paper very high.

Pompeani reports that this deal is not yet signed, but it could be very close.

Stay with KDKA for the latest developments.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Roethlisberger, Steelers close on contract extension

By Scott Brown

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, March 3, 2008

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...int_555204.html

A deal on a contract extension for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger appears to be imminent, as his agents are in Pittsburgh and meeting with the Steelers.

"All I can say at this point is it's very close," said Ryan Tollner, who along with his brother, Bruce, represents Roethlisberger. "We're hopefully here to finish it."

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, has said he wants to retire as a Steeler.

He has two years left on the deal he signed after the Steelers took Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

The Steelers typically don't renegotiate contracts until players are going into the final year of their existing deal. They do, however, make an exception for quarterbacks.

Roethlisberger turned 26 on Sunday, and after the season he had it's easy why signing him to a long-term extension is the Steelers' top offseason priority.

Roethlisberger threw 32 touchdown passes in 2007, setting a new Steelers single-season record in that category, and his passer rating of 104.1 was second only to New England's Tom Brady among NFL quarterbacks.

When asked recently if he was surprised by the season Roethlisberger had, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, "No, I wasn't. I've been around elite guys at other positions. First time I've been around a quarterback like that."

Roethlisberger threw for 3,154 yards in 2007 and completed just over 65 percent of his passes while leading the Steelers to a 10-6 record and an AFC North title.

The offensive line he played behind last season took a hit when perennial Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca signed with the Jets over the weekend.

The Steelers have been quiet since the free-agent signing period started last Friday, but they have scheduled a visit with Patriots safety Eugene Wilson.

Wilson is set to meet with the Steelers on Tuesday, said his agent, James Sims.

An unrestricted free agent, Wilson is visiting the Buccaneers, and the Titans are also interested in the five-year veteran.

Wilson, who can also play cornerback, appeared in 11 regular-season games for New England last season and made 31 tackles. He returned the only interception he had for a touchdown.

Wilson, a second-round pick by the Patriots in 2003, has 10 career interceptions.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Well Ben is signed and it sounds like Mewelde Moore is too. Good day.

Roethlisberger gets more than $36 million in guarantees in new deal

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274467

The Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have agreed to a new eight-year, $102 million contract, according to sources.

The contract, which includes more than $36 million in guarantees and is easily the largest in team history, places Big Ben among the game's highest-paid players. In comparison, Peyton Manning received a $34.5 million signing bonus in his big deal and Michael Vick received $37 million in guarantees from the Falcons in his mega deal. Both Manning's and Vick's deals were signed in 2004.

Roethlisberger's agents, Ryan and Bruce Tollner of REP 1 Sports, traveled to Pittsburgh and finalized the deal with the Steelers late Sunday night. The team is expected to announce the move Monday in a press conference.

Roethlisberger, who turned 26 on Sunday, is coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he completed more than 65 percent of his passes with a tean-record 32 touchdowns and an efficiency rating of 104.1, leading the Steelers to an AFC North title and the playoffs for the third time in his four seasons.

Roethlisberger, who two years ago became the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, grew as a team leader last season and bounced back from a disappointing 2006 where his offseason was marred by a serious motorcycle accident.

In addition to a pay raise, the Steelers are also in the process of adding another weapon to Roethlisberger's arsenal. Pittsburgh hosted former Vikings running back Mewelde Moore on Sunday and his signing appears imminent.

Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked. He's also likely to serve as the team's primary kickoff and punt returner.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I'm all for RB depth, and a KR/PR guy, but the point made above -- "Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked." -- We only lack that because they won't throw the ####### ball to FWP. :goodposting:

If Moore keeps his head screwed on, I think he could be a solid addition to this team. I've always liked what I've seen of the guy in limited use and he could be a nice complement to Parker.

The big news, obviously, is the Roethlisberger signing. I hate to see that much $$ going to one guy, but this was a situation where not only did the guy HAVE to be locked up long-term, but the Steelers were going to have to show that they will reward their own if they perform. I think both of those questions were firmly answered with this massive contract. I'm just thrilled that we'll have a top-flight QB under center barring injury until I'm well into my 40s. :blackdot:

I'm all for RB depth, and a KR/PR guy, but the point made above -- "Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked." -- We only lack that because they won't throw the ####### ball to FWP. :blackdot:
Any chance that Mewelde gets the #2 Rb job?I took a flier on him last year...when given a chance he's been fairly productive.Some of his game lines remind me of Adrian Peterson (CHI)

I'm all for RB depth, and a KR/PR guy, but the point made above -- "Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked." -- We only lack that because they won't throw the ####### ball to FWP. :shrug:
Any chance that Mewelde gets the #2 Rb job?I took a flier on him last year...when given a chance he's been fairly productive.Some of his game lines remind me of Adrian Peterson (CHI)
Boy I think so, similar build and game as Willie Parker. Kid is a heckuvan athlete, I think he played minor league baseball for a few years before playing football at Tulane.

I'm all for RB depth, and a KR/PR guy, but the point made above -- "Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked." -- We only lack that because they won't throw the ####### ball to FWP. :nerd:
:) That was one of the most frustrating things to watch (or not watch) this year besides that putrid O-Line. The biggest threat that Parker brings to the table is when he is in open space, but they used less screen passes and less dumpoffs.

I'm all for RB depth, and a KR/PR guy, but the point made above -- "Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked." -- We only lack that because they won't throw the ####### ball to FWP. :lmao:
:scared: That was one of the most frustrating things to watch (or not watch) this year besides that putrid O-Line. The biggest threat that Parker brings to the table is when he is in open space, but they used less screen passes and less dumpoffs.
:lol: I ended up dropping Parker in my keeper league (could have kept for a 10+ round pick) because it changed to only keeping 3 and Parker who was awesome in 2006, was terrible in 2007. If Cowher was still there I would think maybe it was a bad year for him, but with a new coaching staff, I just can't take the risk. In very limited action, he has 75 receptions for 620 yards (8.3 ypr) and 4 TDs. Seems like that is pretty decent. Heck, RBs don't usually get a lot of receiving TDs, but in 2006, he had 3 in only 31 receptions. Oh well, maybe I will draft him again, only if he drops quite a bit just on the off chance that he gets more work again.

The Mewelde Moore signing is official -- 3 year deal. Seems like a pretty good pickup if the price was right. :rolleyes:

http://news.steelers.com/article/87413

Steelers Sign Free Agent Running Back Mewelde Moore

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers signed free agent running back Mewelde Moore to a three-year contract, the team announced today. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Moore (5-11, 209) spent the first four seasons of his career with the Minnesota Vikings after the team drafted him in the fourth round (119th overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft out of Tulane. He has played in 54 career games, including 11 starts, as both a running back and kickoff and punt returner.

For his career, Moore has 1,285 rushing yards on 264 attempts (4.9 avg.) with one rushing touchdown. He also has 116 receptions for 1,093 yards (9.4 avg.) with three touchdowns. As a returner, Moore has returned 74 punts for 768 yards (10.4 avg.) with two touchdowns and 26 kickoffs for 503 yards (19.3 avg.).

Moore enjoyed his best season as a Viking in 2005 as he rushed 155 times for 662 yards (4.3 avg.) with one touchdown. He also caught 37 passes for 339 yards (9.2 avg.) with two touchdowns that same year while returning a punt 71 yards for a touchdown.

I'm all for RB depth, and a KR/PR guy, but the point made above -- "Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked." -- We only lack that because they won't throw the ####### ball to FWP. :towelwave:
I have a lot of respect for your insight on the Steelers. How do you anticipate the RB position shaking down with Parker, Davenport, Davis, Moore and Russell?

PFT

POSTED 5:28 p.m. EST, March 3, 2008

DECENT MONEY FOR MEWELDE

We've tracked down the terms of running back Mewelde Moore's three-year deal with the Steelers.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Moore will receive a signing bonus of $1.35 million, along with base salaries of $650,000 in 2008, $1.475 million in 2009, amd $1.475 million in 2010.

Moore is expected to serve as the Steelers' third-down back, and he also is due to help out in the return game, given the departure of Allen Rossum.

The arrival of Moore also casts doubt on the future of Najeh "Dookie" Davenport. He is signed through 2008, and he's due to earn a base salary of $1 million this season.

We're also told that the Bucs were pursuing Moore, and that other teams expressed interest after Moore focused on the Steelers.

I'm all for RB depth, and a KR/PR guy, but the point made above -- "Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked." -- We only lack that because they won't throw the ####### ball to FWP. :confused:
I have a lot of respect for your insight on the Steelers. How do you anticipate the RB position shaking down with Parker, Davenport, Davis, Moore and Russell?
Parker will still get his. He was on pace for ~370 touches last year, he wound up with 344 after exiting the St Luois game on the first play. Davenport had 125, I suspect Moore's #s will cut more into his than into FWP's. Russell will be strictly backup, it seems (even though I like what I've seen from him) and Davis will be the FB. Obviously a lot could change now but if I had to guess, I'd say the Steelers will rush ~475 times next year...barring any major injuries:Parker with ~275Najeh and Moore with ~60-80 eachI wouldn't go near either of them expecting much in fantasy this year, unless FWP gets hurt....and in that case I have no clue how it will shake out between Dookie and Moore. One of those two would get the bulk, but I doubt even the Steelers know which one of them that is yet. Still an Oline that needs work and camps to sort things out.

I am not sure if this signals the end of Davenports time in the Burgh as some reporters are speculating, though I may be wrong (not sure of the cap relief numbers if we were to let him go).

I really just think the Moore signing is to try and help our bad ... no ... horrible Special Teams. Rossum did okay, for the first few games (I thought he was the answer ... at first), but then it went to crap, once again, same as the last three years. We need someone back there and I hope this signing is the answer. I have no idea however, how good Moore is at the KR/PR position, so I could be way off base.

Can he fill that role or is this a RB that will be on the field more than I think ?

MMoore adds experienced depth at a reasonable amount that can help in ST also.

Parker (on the mend)

Davenport (not super sturdy)

Russell (not experienced, not a big STer)

Moore

and Davis to play FB/HB.

I am not sure if this signals the end of Davenports time in the Burgh as some reporters are speculating
IMO that would be a stupid move. We were down with injuries last year and I think they saw the benefit of having depth at the position.
and he's under contract very cheap. Agreed, would be stupid to let him go. Keep Russell on the PS for now.
He was activated in the playoffs. PS is an option?

I am not sure if this signals the end of Davenports time in the Burgh as some reporters are speculating
IMO that would be a stupid move. We were down with injuries last year and I think they saw the benefit of having depth at the position.
and he's under contract very cheap. Agreed, would be stupid to let him go. Keep Russell on the PS for now.
Actually thanks for correcting me. He served his two years on the PS, so i dont think the Steelers have that luxury. So the one reason to let Davenport go is if the Steelers think Russell is ready to play a similar role. Although Ill admit I don't totally understand the rules on when a player can serve a 3rd year on the PS - something about having all 53 spots full all year - I need to consult with a league lawyer .

Actually thanks for correcting me. He served his two years on the PS, so i dont think the Steelers have that luxury. So the one reason to let Davenport go is if the Steelers think Russell is ready to play a similar role. Although Ill admit I don't totally understand the rules on when a player can serve a 3rd year on the PS - something about having all 53 spots full all year - I need to consult with a league lawyer .
Gary Russell was an undrafted, free agent rookie last year who made the 53 man roster. He has never been on the practice squad and I don't think they would have the option of putting him on there for the upcoming year.Like others have said, I think MMoore will be a good special teams guy and will also get some touches on 3rd down. In my opinion, if the Steelers are looking to get rid of Najeh, Russell will probably need to show he can serve as FWP's backup.

Gary Russell was an undrafted, free agent rookie last year who made the 53 man roster. He has never been on the practice squad and I don't think they would have the option of putting him on there for the upcoming year.Like others have said, I think MMoore will be a good special teams guy and will also get some touches on 3rd down. In my opinion, if the Steelers are looking to get rid of Najeh, Russell will probably need to show he can serve as FWP's backup.
youre right, my brain is just scrambled this morning. Please disregard my postings on Russell and the PS. :yes:

I'm not too sure of PS rules, but Russell was an undrafted rookie last year, so shouldn't he still have PS eligibility? I'm not a big Davenport fan so I don't think we'd miss him all that much. He's a tweener, too big and slow to hit the hole fast enough which limits his effectiveness.

youre right, my brain is just scrambled this morning. Please disregard my postings on Russell and the PS. :confused:
No need for the bag. After the Steelers picked him up, I was hoping he would make the team over Barlow and Haynes. There was talk last year that there was no way they could slip him onto the practice squad since there were other teams interested. So that is the only reason I knew he made it onto the 53 man roster.

Was just coming in to link that.

IMO if there's any FA left that they need to seriously look at on the OL it's probably Hadnot. He brings versatility with him, since he can play C. And anything that could potentially drive Sean Mahan to the bench(in reverse, no doubt) is a-okay with me.

No idea how large his # is going to wind up being, given the craziness with cash this offseason, but I hope they can work something out. He's a good, solid, guy to have. Especially if he winds up on the pivot.

Was just coming in to link that.

IMO if there's any FA left that they need to seriously look at on the OL it's probably Hadnot. He brings versatility with him, since he can play C. And anything that could potentially drive Sean Mahan to the bench(in reverse, no doubt) is a-okay with me.

No idea how large his # is going to wind up being, given the craziness with cash this offseason, but I hope they can work something out. He's a good, solid, guy to have. Especially if he winds up on the pivot.
sounds like we need to sign this guy http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/footbal...0,3792129.story

Hadnot started all 16 games last season and was regarded as the team's most consistent offensive lineman. But, according to Hadnot, the team hasn't expressed an interest in re-signing him.

In a year where the Dolphins have approximately $35 million in cap space, re-signing Hadnot seemed to be a high priority. His in-line blocking, effectiveness as a pulling guard and versatility made him the most valuable of last year's starting unit. Also, the Dolphins have critical needs at tackle and guard. The team recently released starting right tackle L.J. Shelton.

"I'm trying to let it play out," he said." "I'm not worried at all. Either way, I'm still confident that I'll have an employer next year that will be getting the services of a great player, in my mind."

Hadnot, a sixth-round draft pick in 2004, started all 48 games the past three seasons. He played exclusively at right guard last year and exclusively at center in 2006. In 2005, he split time between the two positions.

Hadnot would be a nice signing, and would enable the Steelers to take a look at a position other than OT or OG in the first 2-3 rounds of this upcoming draft, rather than going all OL.

looks like he visited the browns last weekend

Miami Dolphins free-agent guard/center Rex Hadnot told the Houston Chronicle on Saturday he was visiting the Browns over the weekend.

The Browns do not confirm free-agent visits, but Hadnot said he was headed to Cleveland after his visit Friday with the Texans. A Texas native who played at Houston, Hadnot had hoped to sign with his hometown team.

"I'm going to take this visit and see how Cleveland feels about me," Hadnot told the Chronicle. "I'm disappointed [about not reaching a deal with Houston], but it's part of the business."

I'd feel better about this group's chances with a guy like Hadnot at C over a guy like Mahan, that's for sure. And if he doesn't work out there, he should at least be a servicable guard.

And he's young enough that a "long" term contract shouldn't be out of the question if he was willing to work with the Steelers FO(i.e. maybe he gets a little extended "security" if he's willing to not take them for every last dollar, etc.)

We'll see, I guess. If he visited Cleveland already that's another motivation to sign him. (Hell, it should make it easier to sign him if he spent any time driving around the city at all. Maybe he should go back for a 2nd visit. ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread