What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers 2008 (1 Viewer)

I'd feel better about this group's chances with a guy like Hadnot at C over a guy like Mahan, that's for sure. And if he doesn't work out there, he should at least be a servicable guard.And he's young enough that a "long" term contract shouldn't be out of the question if he was willing to work with the Steelers FO(i.e. maybe he gets a little extended "security" if he's willing to not take them for every last dollar, etc.)We'll see, I guess. If he visited Cleveland already that's another motivation to sign him. (Hell, it should make it easier to sign him if he spent any time driving around the city at all. Maybe he should go back for a 2nd visit. :lmao: )
I really think the STeelers will move Simmons to center and Hadnot would take over at guard.

Hadnot would be a nice signing, and would enable the Steelers to take a look at a position other than OT or OG in the first 2-3 rounds of this upcoming draft, rather than going all OL.
If they do sign Hadnot then it means either they are not resigning Starks or they are resigning Starks and cutting Marvel Smith. So we probably will still have to look at drafting OL in the early rounds.

Regardless of FA signings, this team needs to address both sides of the trenches early and often. OL, DE, OL preferably.

Regardless of FA signings, this team needs to address both sides of the trenches early and often. OL, DE, OL preferably.
Absolutely agree with this. If no FAs are brought in on the lines I hope they take 2 each at some point during the draft.
I really think the STeelers will move Simmons to center and Hadnot would take over at guard.
I say this every time anyone mentions this: If the Steelers thought Kendall Simmons could play C at the NFL level he'd have been doing it a year ago.As a "Devil's Advocate" aside about Hadnot, a buddy of mine opined thusly: "If the Dolphins had that much cash to throw around like they have, and viewed Hadnot as their most consistent lineman, why didn't they try to re-sign him?" I suppose that's a legit question for a Dolphins fan if we can snag one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish said:
Hadnot would be a nice signing, and would enable the Steelers to take a look at a position other than OT or OG in the first 2-3 rounds of this upcoming draft, rather than going all OL.
If they do sign Hadnot then it means either they are not resigning Starks or they are resigning Starks and cutting Marvel Smith. So we probably will still have to look at drafting OL in the early rounds.
That would depend on what kind of offers Starks receives elsewhere. Haven't seen anything on that front as of yet. And they'll still have to address the line early (hopefully round 1) - but I didn't want to have to see them draft OL in all of the first three rounds. If they lose Faneca and Starks without adding a FA, they almost have to draft 2-3 OL in the first 3-4 rounds.

Steelers team report at Sportingnews.com I found this interesting;

"The coaches are really hoping Darnell Stapleton, a rookie free agent in '07, continues to improve because they think he will be their starting center this season. Sean Mahan, last year's starter, struggled with big nose tackles and will likely be used to replace Alan Faneca at left guard or as the team's sixth linemen this season.

Stapleton has a strong lower body that allows him to gain leverage and does a good job using his hands inside. Even though he missed a large portion of training camp last season, he still made the 53-man roster because the coaches like his ability."

I have not heard this any place else and it surprises me. Thoughts?

JM4Steelers said:

"The coaches are really hoping Darnell Stapleton, a rookie free agent in '07, continues to improve because they think he will be their starting center this season. Sean Mahan, last year's starter, struggled with big nose tackles and will likely be used to replace Alan Faneca at left guard or as the team's sixth linemen this season.

Stapleton has a strong lower body that allows him to gain leverage and does a good job using his hands inside. Even though he missed a large portion of training camp last season, he still made the 53-man roster because the coaches like his ability."

I havent seen a bit of the dude that I recall, so no input here. but, some discussion here:http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68#s=68&amp...7&t=2143290

JM4Steelers said:

He's a Rutgers guy and I'd love to see him make an impact, but I don't know, man. IIRC, he only runs about 280 lbs and I can't imagine he'd be able to hold off guys like 370 lb Shaun Rogers. I thought he was an underrated player coming out of college, because he often looked pretty damned good opening holes for Ray Rice, but he never stood out to me as a future impact player and I don't think we're going to be mentioning him with Dermontti Dawson and Mike Webster (or even Jeff Hartings) any time soon. I hope to hell I'm wrong, though.

JM4Steelers said:

He's a Rutgers guy and I'd love to see him make an impact, but I don't know, man. IIRC, he only runs about 280 lbs and I can't imagine he'd be able to hold off guys like 370 lb Shaun Rogers. I thought he was an underrated player coming out of college, because he often looked pretty damned good opening holes for Ray Rice, but he never stood out to me as a future impact player and I don't think we're going to be mentioning him with Dermontti Dawson and Mike Webster (or even Jeff Hartings) any time soon. I hope to hell I'm wrong, though.
In my link above they say he's beefed up to about 310 and is still looking good. That's all hearsay, but if true it could be promising news.

Steelers brought in FS Chris Crocker (ATL) for an interview.

(per KFFL)

Steelers | Team to meet with Crocker

Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:49:49 -0800

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will meet with free-agent FS Chris Crocker (Falcons) Thursday, March 6.

jeebus do we need a center. I guess I'm spoiled because I was brought up with Mike Webster and Dermotti Dawson, then we had Jeff Hartings, and now we have....

failed experiments.

Although we need to address the DE position, absolutely, we need to protect our $100 million investment. We need O-linemen like nobody's business

-- Steelers Re-Sign Andre Frazier --Fri Mar 7, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com#AP reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have re-signed LB Andre Frazier to a one-year contract.
Not earth shattering news, but more like a bump back to page one.

Steelers still quiet in free agencyBy Scott BrownTRIBUNE-REVIEWSaturday, March 8, 2008As the first week of free agency passed, it was business as usual for the Steelers -- as in they did very little of it Friday.The team did re-sign linebacker Andre Frazier to a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $520,000 and includes a $50,000 signing bonus.The Steelers had declined to tender a one-year offer worth $927,000 to Frazier last week, making the fourth-year pro an unrestricted free agent. Frazier visited the Patriots before re-signing with the Steelers.The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder played in eight games for the Steelers last season, strictly on special teams, and made 12 tackles.Frazier, who originally signed with the Steelers in 2005 and played two seasons for the Bengals, was re-signed because of his ability to play special teams. He also could challenge for playing time at outside linebacker with free agent Clark Haggans certain to sign somewhere else.The Steelers apparently are still interested in free agent center/guard Rex Hadnot.Hadnot, who started 48 games at guard and center the previous three seasons for the Miami Dolphins, met with the Steelers on Wednesday and visited the Titans yesterday.The Steelers are believed to be less than $1 million under the salary cap with the re-signing of Frazier and have yet to make an offer to the 6-2, 325-pound Hadnot.The Steelers could free up cap room by signing offensive tackle Max Starks to a long-term contract or restructuring the contracts of players on their roster.The team made a one-year tender offer worth almost $6.9 million to Starks recently, and they have factored that figure into their salary cap for 2008.Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said earlier this week that the Steelers and Starks hope to agree on a multi-year contract. Starks can sign the tender offer at any time, and the Steelers have the right to pull it off the table before the middle of July.The Steelers signed running back/kick returner Mewelde Moore last Monday and hosted safeties Eugene Wilson and Chris Crocker, as well as linebacker Tracy White earlier in the week.The re-signing of Frazier makes it unlikely the Steelers will sign White as they were looking at him as a special-teams player.

Steelers still quiet in free agency

By Scott Brown

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Saturday, March 8, 2008

As the first week of free agency passed, it was business as usual for the Steelers -- as in they did very little of it Friday.

The team did re-sign linebacker Andre Frazier to a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $520,000 and includes a $50,000 signing bonus.

The Steelers had declined to tender a one-year offer worth $927,000 to Frazier last week, making the fourth-year pro an unrestricted free agent. Frazier visited the Patriots before re-signing with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder played in eight games for the Steelers last season, strictly on special teams, and made 12 tackles.

Frazier, who originally signed with the Steelers in 2005 and played two seasons for the Bengals, was re-signed because of his ability to play special teams. He also could challenge for playing time at outside linebacker with free agent Clark Haggans certain to sign somewhere else.

The Steelers apparently are still interested in free agent center/guard Rex Hadnot.

Hadnot, who started 48 games at guard and center the previous three seasons for the Miami Dolphins, met with the Steelers on Wednesday and visited the Titans yesterday.

The Steelers are believed to be less than $1 million under the salary cap with the re-signing of Frazier and have yet to make an offer to the 6-2, 325-pound Hadnot.

The Steelers could free up cap room by signing offensive tackle Max Starks to a long-term contract or restructuring the contracts of players on their roster.

The team made a one-year tender offer worth almost $6.9 million to Starks recently, and they have factored that figure into their salary cap for 2008.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said earlier this week that the Steelers and Starks hope to agree on a multi-year contract. Starks can sign the tender offer at any time, and the Steelers have the right to pull it off the table before the middle of July.

The Steelers signed running back/kick returner Mewelde Moore last Monday and hosted safeties Eugene Wilson and Chris Crocker, as well as linebacker Tracy White earlier in the week.

The re-signing of Frazier makes it unlikely the Steelers will sign White as they were looking at him as a special-teams player.
:goodposting: This is a good thing IMO.

Allows competition at the G/C postitions, and allows our first draft pick to pick flexible and pick the best offensive lineman possible, whether they be a T, G, or C.

Also, it would be one less draft pick on OL, so you can focus draft picks for depth on the bench, particularly at DE, CB, S, WR, or possibly LB.

Get Hadnot! IMO we really need this guy. Sign him, add one-two first day OL and we are pretty much set.

Im no fan of Hadnot. Would be a sideways move IMO, which isnt what this team needs.

Considering the overpayment method used on most FAs and I really would rather pass.

This guys been to so many teams so far I feel like his contract demands are the problem. I'd rather build through the draft then pile to much money into him. Has any one heard anything about what he's looking for? Someone at my office said 5 mill a year but I havn't seen that anywhere.

The rumor is he's seeking 5million per.

I don't view Hadnot as a panacea, but neither do I see him as a lateral move if he's brought in to play center. He has the base to anchor pretty well vs. the bull rush against bigger DTs. Sean Mahan, clearly, doesn't.

I can't say he's worth 5million per though, either.

The rumor is he's seeking 5million per.I don't view Hadnot as a panacea, but neither do I see him as a lateral move if he's brought in to play center. He has the base to anchor pretty well vs. the bull rush against bigger DTs. Sean Mahan, clearly, doesn't.I can't say he's worth 5million per though, either.
The rumor is true.NFL | Hadnot seeking $5 million per seasonWed, 5 Mar 2008 20:50:37 -0800Tim Graham, of the Palm Beach Post, reports free-agent OG Rex Hadnot (Dolphins) is seeking a four- or five-year contract worth about $5 million per season, according to sources. One NFL insider predicts Hadnot would average closer to $3.5 million than what he's asking for.

The rumor is he's seeking 5million per.I don't view Hadnot as a panacea, but neither do I see him as a lateral move if he's brought in to play center. He has the base to anchor pretty well vs. the bull rush against bigger DTs. Sean Mahan, clearly, doesn't.I can't say he's worth 5million per though, either.
The rumor is true.NFL | Hadnot seeking $5 million per seasonWed, 5 Mar 2008 20:50:37 -0800Tim Graham, of the Palm Beach Post, reports free-agent OG Rex Hadnot (Dolphins) is seeking a four- or five-year contract worth about $5 million per season, according to sources. One NFL insider predicts Hadnot would average closer to $3.5 million than what he's asking for.
too much $$$ :bye:

Hadnot was in Pittsburgh Wednesday and went to see the Titans on Thursday, rumors on the Stillers scout board now say Hadnot is again back in town today. Looks like they may be trying to get this done.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
Hadnot was in Pittsburgh Wednesday and went to see the Titans on Thursday, rumors on the Stillers scout board now say Hadnot is again back in town today. Looks like they may be trying to get this done.
:goodposting:

Ed Bouchette on the Steelers: Smith extension next on agendaA look inside the team, the issues & the questionsSunday, March 09, 2008Pittsburgh Post-GazetteNow that Ben Roethlisberger's contract is done and Alan Faneca is gone, the next big deal in the Steelers' future looms this year, whether they do it or do not.He's not a free agent, but offensive tackle Marvel Smith will become one next year if the Steelers do not sign him to a contract before then. He's in the same place this year as was Faneca last year; Smith has one year left on his contract, and no doubt he'd like an extension before he begins the 2008 season.Smith is not as heralded at tackle as Faneca was at guard. Smith has made one Pro Bowl in his eight seasons while Faneca made seven in 10. But it can be argued that Smith is more valuable than Faneca because of the position he plays, and surely agent Ken Zuckerman might already being doing that.No position on a football team might be more important after the quarterback than the left tackle. NFL personnel men say when you build a team, you start with the left tackle. One of the reasons the expansion Houston Texans failed early on was the injuries to left tackle Tony Boselli, and "franchise" quarterback David Carr suffered for it.Smith has been a good, steady left tackle for the Steelers since he moved there in 2003 after starting his first three seasons at right tackle. He made the Pro Bowl after the '04 season. He's also had injury problems. A pinched nerve in his neck limited his '03 season to six games. He had back surgery in December that ended his season, but that surgery actually might help him in the future. It was minor, as back surgeries go, and relieved the pain he has played through.Smith will earn a $3.95 million salary in 2008 and his cap number of $6,645,500 ranks fourth on the Steelers. He does not turn 30 until August and presumably has another good three or four years at least.Can the Steelers keep him, and do they want to? We might find out next month. If the Steelers draft an offensive tackle in the first round and he happens to be a left tackle, chances of them signing Smith to a big-money contract would decrease. However, if they ignore the position on the draft's first day, they might have little choice but to sign Smith.Love the ones you're withThose who condemn the Steelers for not taking a more aggressive approach to free agency by signing other team's players might keep in mind what's going on with the New York Jets.The Jets have filled up their shopping cart with outside players -- Faneca, Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins -- and spent plenty of money on them.But then comes this:"You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room -- the guys that have your back -- you don't give a damn about them," an unnamed Jets player told Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. "It shows where the loyalty is."Faneca aside, the Steelers always have tried to keep their players first by signing them to contract extensions, usually before they become free agents. Roethlisberger is the latest example, but others include Marvel Smith, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor, Willie Parker, Kendall Simmons, James Farrior, Larry Foote and James Harrison, just examples of current starters.Yes, the Cleveland Browns have been more active signing others in the first week of free agency. But the Browns haven't had to worry about keeping many of their own players because until recently they haven't had many they wanted to keep.

McBokonon said:
he corroborated what Ms. Tibbott had reported to authorities, the affidavit said.
Too bad he was one of those underdog players that I was routing for. Success obviously went to his head. I can't see how he can get away from this. I expected he will get a 4 game suspension.
What does everyone expect when we know that 95% of all NFL players take steroids of some kind? Roid rage is a terrible thing my friends.

McBokonon said:
he corroborated what Ms. Tibbott had reported to authorities, the affidavit said.
Too bad he was one of those underdog players that I was routing for. Success obviously went to his head. I can't see how he can get away from this. I expected he will get a 4 game suspension.
What does everyone expect when we know that 95% of all NFL players take steroids of some kind? Roid rage is a terrible thing my friends.
:rolleyes:

McBokonon said:
Do players continue to take roids when the season doesn't start for 7 months? I imagine alcohol was the drug of choice when it took place after midnight on a Friday.

McBokonon said:
Do players continue to take roids when the season doesn't start for 7 months? I imagine alcohol was the drug of choice when it took place after midnight on a Friday.
:shrug:

McBokonon said:
:goodposting:
I was under the impression that roid rage was not something that happened as the steroids were flowing through your veins... I thought it just made you more aggressive?And actually, I do think that most players probably do use steroids in the off-season... otherwise they would have a hell of a time working out the month before camp to show up the same size as when they left.

I was under the impression that roid rage was not something that happened as the steroids were flowing through your veins... I thought it just made you more aggressive?And actually, I do think that most players probably do use steroids in the off-season... otherwise they would have a hell of a time working out the month before camp to show up the same size as when they left.
:goodposting:Do you understand Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids?

I was under the impression that roid rage was not something that happened as the steroids were flowing through your veins... I thought it just made you more aggressive?

And actually, I do think that most players probably do use steroids in the off-season... otherwise they would have a hell of a time working out the month before camp to show up the same size as when they left.
:thumbdown:

Do I understand Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids?
No, apparently not.

I was under the impression that roid rage was not something that happened as the steroids were flowing through your veins... I thought it just made you more aggressive?

And actually, I do think that most players probably do use steroids in the off-season... otherwise they would have a hell of a time working out the month before camp to show up the same size as when they left.
:thumbdown:

No, apparently not.
AAS is NOT injected into your veins.Its intramuscular - though some are taken orally, but these are poor substances when compared to injectables.

AAS can be viable within your system from a couple hours to as long as 10 days, depending on the substance. Cycles typically are 4-16 weeks, though some are much longer, even years at low doses. FTR: This is in regards to both medicinal uses as well non prescribed use. Most are detectable for months afterwards.

Furthermore - aggression is often accompanied with the gaining of strength through heavy workouts without the accompaniment of AAS in males.

This is not to say that AAS does not have effects on a persons mood (as many substances can) as they certainly can. Increased testosterone has many positive and some negative effects on men, obviously.

:yes:

No, apparently not.
AAS is NOT injected into your veins.Its intramuscular - though some are taken orally, but these are poor substances when compared to injectables.

AAS can be viable within your system from a couple hours to as long as 10 days, depending on the substance. Cycles typically are 4-16 weeks, though some are much longer, even years at low doses. FTR: This is in regards to both medicinal uses as well non prescribed use. Most are detectable for months afterwards.

Furthermore - aggression is often accompanied with the gaining of strength through heavy workouts without the accompaniment of AAS in males.

This is not to say that AAS does not have effects on a persons mood (as many substances can) as they certainly can. Increased testosterone has many positive and some negative effects on men, obviously.
We're getting a bit off topic here, so I don't want to continue this much longer, but, what?The first sentence and second sentence seem to contradict each other... they're not injected, but they are worse than injection based roids? Why would anyone use them then? Also, you're not really refuting my point that the aggression might be caused by working out with steroids, instead you are saying that the workout itself caused the aggression rather than the steroid. Either way, the dude might have beaten up his girlfriend as a result of working out.

Whatever. Bad Harrison, bad. :goodposting:

:yes:

No, apparently not.

We're getting a bit off topic here, so I don't want to continue this much longer, but, what?The first sentence and second sentence seem to contradict each other... they're not injected, but they are worse than injection based roids? Why would anyone use them then? Also, you're not really refuting my point that the aggression might be caused by working out with steroids, instead you are saying that the workout itself caused the aggression rather than the steroid. Either way, the dude might have beaten up his girlfriend as a result of working out.

Whatever. Bad Harrison, bad. :goodposting:
They are injected - but not into your veins. Into your muscle. (as opposed to subcutaneously or veinously)Oral steroids are worse (usually) then injectables in almost all fashions.

I was expounding upon the discussion so at least we can be at debatable position. Instead of fairy tail versions and myths.

:popcorn:

No, apparently not.

Whatever. Bad Harrison, bad. :popcorn:
They are injected - but not into your veins. Into your muscle. (as opposed to subcutaneously or veinously)Oral steroids are worse (usually) then injectables in almost all fashions.

I was expounding upon the discussion so at least we can be at debatable position. Instead of fairy tail versions and myths.
Ah, well, I was just using a generic term... like when people say "adrenaline flowing through their veins" kinda thing. I understand that not everything is injected into veins. (For example, when the RB is using steroids in Friday Night Lights he shoots up into his rear-end.) Anyways, time to move on... my off-hand comment is getting way too much life.

Seriously, the Steelers should be looking at that center from Baltimore. He'll never be an All-Pro, but his a solid lunch pail type that won't lose games for you.

Seriously, the Steelers should be looking at that center from Baltimore. He'll never be an All-Pro, but his a solid lunch pail type that won't lose games for you.
Is that a rookie or the current Baltimore C (who is a FA)? I haven't been paying attention to Baltimore's FAs, so I don't know anything about him.

Mike Flynn

He's been a starter since their last Super Bowl he's a 10 year vet. He was cut to save Baltimore 2 mil in cap room since Chester is ready to make the leap as a starter.

'Til then, congrats on taking an early lead in the AFC North TurdWatch standings.
Oh God, anything but that.I'm sure he'll face disciplinary action, but cutting someone for this is unneccesary. Had this been his 4th or 5th arrest, then I think they'd let him go - or if he got caught with 4 keys and some coke like Bam Morris - but something like this will be handled and they'll move on. Dumb stuff to be doing (and indefensible), but I'm not totally surprised - Harrison has always struck me as a guy with some rage issues.

Users who are viewing this thread