What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (5 Viewers)

Worm said:
Thorn said:
Worm said:
Otis said:
Supposedly rates hit another all-time low today.
Anyone confirm? I've been waiting for another dip.
bankrate.com"Tied" record lows.
Penfed (current mortgage location) has started charging a 1% origination as of last week. :lmao:
Bummer. No extra BS costs earned them my business back in April. I guess they're changing their business model.

:thumbup:
MAJOR bummer indeed! Ugh!!! We need to find a new Penfed w/o the bs costs...

Otis said:
What are the rates at? I am working with a guy who told me yesterday that he could get me a %4.75 rate on a 30 year fix and today he told me the rates went up and the lowest he can get me is a %4.875. Should I be concerned? Is this guy lying to me?

Otis said:
What are the rates at? I am working with a guy who told me yesterday that he could get me a %4.75 rate on a 30 year fix and today he told me the rates went up and the lowest he can get me is a %4.875. Should I be concerned? Is this guy lying to me?
If it makes you feel better, I've talked to a couple of places today and can't get lower than 4.875%. So he may not be lying to you about that. Was he lying about the 4.75%... my guess is he probably was just to rope you in. They lie. It's what they do.4.875% is a damn good rate imo.

Otis said:
If it makes you feel better, I've talked to a couple of places today and can't get lower than 4.875%. So he may not be lying to you about that. Was he lying about the 4.75%... my guess is he probably was just to rope you in. They lie. It's what they do.4.875% is a damn good rate imo.
My bet is he was not trying to rope you in. When I talk to clients I give them that day's rate. If it changes before they make their decision whose fault is that? Rates fluctuate from day to day minute to minute. If a borrower is quoted 4.5% and sleeps on it for a few days they were not informed correct about the rate process or took too long to sign and because of their laziness, negligence (what have you) their rate went up anywhere between .125 and .375%. No fault of the loan officer/broker by the borrower inaction.

This is the best thing to get some transparency in your loan quote. You know if you are being BS'ed by a loan officer when he is telling you 5.5% and the rates are at 4.75% or lower. If only more people had the window that FFA has, there would be a lot of mortgage brokers who engage in the practices above out of the industry. The problem with the mortgage business is there is no money in it if you are honest. To be completely transparent you can only charge an origination fee on the GFE. However, banks who are federally chartered do NOT have to disclose their back end fees (Yield Spread Premium). If I were a federally chartered bank (which I am not, I am a broker) you would have no idea if the rate I gave you was paying me anything and I could tell you til the cows come home that it is par and I am not being compensated one bit even if I am being paid 2% to sell you at 5.625%. The bad thing is that chartered banks get audited frequently and everything would have to be perfect otherwise they shut your doors.

I'm looking at buying a $280K house with 20% down. My average credit score is 809, and my wife's is about 785.

Any brokers on here able to work with me? I'm in Oklahoma if that matters.

I still owe about $150k on a purchase price of $206k (recently assessed at $192k), 30 year fixed at 5.625%.

If you were me, would you refinance? What kind of terms would you need to tempt you to do so? Thanks guys--I know less about this than I should.

I still owe about $150k on a purchase price of $206k (recently assessed at $192k), 30 year fixed at 5.625%.If you were me, would you refinance? What kind of terms would you need to tempt you to do so? Thanks guys--I know less about this than I should.
You are in the neighborhood of $1186/mo principal and interest correct?If you got 4.875% on a 30 year for $155,000 loan amount P&I would be $820.27. $360/mo savings, keep in mind you are adding how many years back on to your mortgage? You are also adding closing costs. So in effect #360 x 360 months= $130,600 savings over the life of the loan. Adding on 5 years? 60 x $820.27= $49,216 plus whatever closing costs will be. Subtract that from your total savings and figure out how long you plan on staying in the house.

I still owe about $150k on a purchase price of $206k (recently assessed at $192k), 30 year fixed at 5.625%.

If you were me, would you refinance? What kind of terms would you need to tempt you to do so? Thanks guys--I know less about this than I should.
You are in the neighborhood of $1186/mo principal and interest correct?If you got 4.875% on a 30 year for $155,000 loan amount P&I would be $820.27. $360/mo savings, keep in mind you are adding how many years back on to your mortgage? You are also adding closing costs. So in effect #360 x 360 months= $130,600 savings over the life of the loan. Adding on 5 years? 60 x $820.27= $49,216 plus whatever closing costs will be. Subtract that from your total savings and figure out how long you plan on staying in the house.
My principal payment is currently $232, my interest $717, so my principal and interest is right at $950. With escrow, my total payment is around $1325/month.

Just had our house appraised...

Value in late 2007 -- $228K

Value as of early 2009 -- $200K

Was told that we should be approved for 4.875-5.00%, down from 7%

My principal payment is currently $232, my interest $717, so my principal and interest is right at $950. With escrow, my total payment is around $1325/month.
I based my P&I on $206,000 @ 5.625% over 30 years= $1186/moWith your P&I saving $130 might not be worth it in your situation. This week is supposed to be bad for rates, the outlook is much better later this month or early February.

So it seems we're still in the 4.75-5% range. I've heard speculation that we'll hit the low 4s or even under 4%. Should we still be holding out?

Rates were beat up pretty bad this week. Here is an explanation from the MBS Markets

"Supply Concerns Move Market

A new President took office, a large fiscal stimulus package moved closer to passage, and investors became more concerned about the impact of the enormous amount of debt which will be issued to pay for all the government programs. The most recent proposal called for an additional $825 billion to stimulate the economy. As the government raises money by selling Treasury bonds, interest rates offered on all long-term bonds increase to compete for investors. In anticipation of this added supply of Treasury bonds, mortgage rates rose a little during the week.

The details of the new administration's fiscal stimulus plan are still being debated, but the need for one is generally agreed. Former Labor Secretary Reich estimated that the US will lose another 3 million jobs during 2009 if the government does not pass an economic stimulus plan soon. According to Fed Chief Bernanke, a large fiscal stimulus package would provide a "significant boost" to the economy. Expectations for the added supply of debt may have moved mortgage rates a little higher, but the benefits of a stimulus plan for the housing market could be significant. Big picture, more jobs means more potential home buyers. In addition, specific measures are targeted directly at the housing market, including proposals to help prevent foreclosures and to improve the terms of a first time homebuyer tax credit. The new administration has stated that swift passage of the stimulus plan is one of its top priorities.

In the housing sector, December Housing Starts fell to a record low. Building Permits, a leading indicator, showed similar results. The slowdown in the building of new homes will help reduce the inventory of unsold homes on the market.

Also Notable:

Continuing Jobless Claims rose to the highest level since 1982

The Fed's Yellen favors "pulling out all the stops" to stimulate the economy

Oil prices rose to $43 per barrel, down from $145 per barrel in July

The Fed purchased $19 billion in agency MBS during the weekly period ending 1/21

Average 30 yr fixed rate:

Last week:

+0.01%

This week:

+0.16%

Stocks (weekly):

Dow:

NASDAQ:

Week Ahead

The highlight next week will be Wednesday's Fed meeting. With the fed funds rate close to zero, rate cuts may no longer be an option. The Fed has many other tools at its disposal, though, and the accompanying statement will be highly anticipated.

A wide range of economic data will come out next week as well. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the fourth quarter will be released on Friday. GDP is the broadest measure of economic activity. Durable Orders, another important indicator of economic activity, is scheduled for Thursday. The Chicago PMI national manufacturing index will come out on Friday. Housing market activity will be revealed in the Existing Home Sales and New Home Sales reports. Consumer Confidence and Consumer Sentiment will round out a busy week."

I am kicking myself for not getting in on the 4.625% Wachovia had last tuesday. Two weeks ago they had it with no points, then it was with a $250 rebate. I figured I would wait to see if it dropped to 4.5%. I am currently at 6.25% and right around 20% equity depending on what site you use to determine house value.

I'm in Dallas, TX and looking to either refinance my current home or move closer to my new job (still in Dallas). Anyone in the mortgage biz that covers TX please respond or PM me. This thread and FB guys are greatness.

I'm hoping the low from a couple of weeks ago isn't going to be the bottom. I was about to lock at a 15 year fixed at 4.5% 0 points, $1500 closing when we got a shocker of a error on my wife's credit report that dropped her score below the minimum prime value (mine's fine, but shes the only one working now). Apparently some bogus $500 medical bill is being reported as in collections and I'm working to get it removed since it isn't her bill. The CU I was working with would have made it vanish for $1500 extra, but I wasn't going to pay that based on a credit report error. No word yet on getting it removed since it's still early in the process, but I'm hoping the predictions of low-sub 4's in the next couple of months works out.

We're in the middle of building our first home. We were going through a walkthru with the crew and one of the guys mentioned that there's a group of builders lobying to congress about getting in on the next stimulus plan. He said their proposal is to offer 2.9% financing for new construction. Being that we just went through settlement and got a 6 month lock for our final mortgage (with free float down) at 5%, I'm eagerly waiting to see what happens. Anyone in the business hear of this?

I'm in Dallas, TX and looking to either refinance my current home or move closer to my new job (still in Dallas). Anyone in the mortgage biz that covers TX please respond or PM me. This thread and FB guys are greatness.
If you do not find anyone, let me know, I can find someone for you with my contacts. Also, just FYI- Talking to some guys with Countrywide that I know and they were saying that they have 'the best rates out there' right now but they are swamped and are at 60 day locks that they are even blowing. Not sure how 'accurate' the best rates thing is or if that extends out of Chicago but might be worthwhile for you guys looking to call Countrywide.

Gee Spot said:
PM Meno Brown.... Solid guy and he is in Flower Mound... What part of Dallas are you in?

From what I read over the weekend, the gov't is looking to work to help lower mortgage rates. I keep hearing 4% for the best qualified buyers (of which I am), so if you are thinking of refinancing, it may be best to wait.

Asked this earlier in the thread, but will pose the question again:

Anyone with insight on whether lower rates willl be coming in the Home Equity Loan market? Or, is the rate drop only going to impact the mortgage market in the near term?

I am considering a move, so not interested in refi via mortgage, due to the costs. But, if I could be a lower HEL rate, that would be cool.

Asked this earlier in the thread, but will pose the question again:Anyone with insight on whether lower rates willl be coming in the Home Equity Loan market? Or, is the rate drop only going to impact the mortgage market in the near term?I am considering a move, so not interested in refi via mortgage, due to the costs. But, if I could be a lower HEL rate, that would be cool.
HELOCS and 2nd's are not enjoying the same decline in interest rates due to the fact that there is no market for them. If other banks are not buying then rates go up to dissuade borrowers from taking money out on them.

Asked this earlier in the thread, but will pose the question again:Anyone with insight on whether lower rates willl be coming in the Home Equity Loan market? Or, is the rate drop only going to impact the mortgage market in the near term?I am considering a move, so not interested in refi via mortgage, due to the costs. But, if I could be a lower HEL rate, that would be cool.
You'll have to check the terms of your HEL or HELOC. Mine was a variable rate, but there was a provision that it could not go below the original interest rate by more than x%. Otherwise, I'd think you'd already be seeing a pretty good rate. Of course I'm not a mortgage pro, and I don't even have a HELOC anymore since I refinanced last year and rolled it all in, but that was how it worked on my agreement (maybe with quarterly resets).

Asked this earlier in the thread, but will pose the question again:

Anyone with insight on whether lower rates willl be coming in the Home Equity Loan market? Or, is the rate drop only going to impact the mortgage market in the near term?

I am considering a move, so not interested in refi via mortgage, due to the costs. But, if I could be a lower HEL rate, that would be cool.
HELOCS and 2nd's are not enjoying the same decline in interest rates due to the fact that there is no market for them. If other banks are not buying then rates go up to dissuade borrowers from taking money out on them.
Here is the Penfed HELOC page. Looks like you can lock in for one that resets every 5 years, currently it is listed at 5/4.62% APR. (I didn't get too much into the details, but it looks like that is only if you have quite a bit of equity in your home).

From what I read over the weekend, the gov't is looking to work to help lower mortgage rates. I keep hearing 4% for the best qualified buyers (of which I am), so if you are thinking of refinancing, it may be best to wait.
Man, I hope so. I'm looking for a 15 year refi and was feeling like I may have missed the boat. Right now I'm seeing 5.25, up half a point from a few weeks ago. Any clues to when they paln to do whatever it is they plan on doing to get them moving south?

Man, I hope so. I'm looking for a 15 year refi and was feeling like I may have missed the boat. Right now I'm seeing 5.25, up half a point from a few weeks ago. Any clues to when they paln to do whatever it is they plan on doing to get them moving south?
This is what I read

This is what I read
That would be incredible.

This is what I read
That would be incredible.
:thumbup: I would much rather see that happen (as I would take advantage of it) than all of the bank bailout crap. If we are going to do bailouts, I would rather see the money go straight to the folks paying the taxes or go straight into infrastructure, i.e. bridges, roads, etc. that actually need work or energy independence.

Honestly, for all of the money that the taxpayers are fronting to these large banks, we should own them outright by now. Heck, let them all fail a few months ago and the Fed/FDIC could have bought them up for pennies on the dollar and when things got better, we (taxpayers) could have made out better in their stocks by privatizing them again. Instead, we are going to continue to buy out their bad stuff and barely break even on the warrants we got.

4% would be incredible, but I wouldn't count on it just yet... The Fed could buy all the MBS they want, but that does not necessarily mean banks would want to lend $ at such a premium rate and have a servicing run off on loans with higher rates (which yield more in interest). 4% is just another "idea" being floated out there. I would not remotely count on that being included in this stimulus package in anyway.

Any thoughts on if this will drop to the 4 or 4.5% range being proposed as an addition to the $15,000 tax credit?

Good article to help explain things

Inside Story: False Illusions and What You Need to Know

The Fed's been at it again, offering words that sound encouraging at first blush, confirming that their buying program of Mortgage Backed Securities is in full swing and will continue as needed. Of course, the media will pick this up and offer their own interpretation, saying "Good news, the Fed's words on continuing their purchasing program mean that rates will continue to drop lower, and remain low into the summer..." But is this really what that means? Not so.

Here's the truth.

Yes, the Fed has been buying Mortgage Bonds, but if you look at what they are purchasing, they are buying a lot of FNMA 30-yr 5.5% and 5.0% Bonds...which won't have much of an impact on present interest rates. Why? First, see the Fed's purchases for yourself by hitting this link: Direct Link to View Fed Mortgage Bond Buying - http://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/mbs/index.html.

So why is the Fed buying these Bonds? Well if you think about it, it's very smart of the Fed...and maybe even a little sneaky...because 5.5% Bonds actually represent outstanding mortgages with rates of 6 - 6.50%, which are precisely the loans being refinanced at today's great interest rates.

Stay with me here...

With rates at present low levels, many of the mortgages in these FNMA 5.5% pools being bought up by the Fed will be refinanced and paid, thus giving the Fed a quick recoup on some of their investment. And this is likely a big reason why the Fed said they could continue this purchasing program beyond June, if necessary. Bottom line, the Fed buying these higher rate coupons will not necessarily help rates to move lower, as their actions do not impact the loans being originated at today's low rates.

Here's the most important part.

Sometimes I talk to clients who are in a situation where it makes sense to refinance right now, and save $250 per month for example. But when they hear the media throwing around teases of lower rates ahead, they decide to hold off on making the decision to save the $250 per month right now, in the hopes of gaining another $30 per month in additional savings with a lower rate than where we stand presently. Now clearly, rates could turn higher, and this window of opportunity could pass them by entirely.

The clincher is this:

Even if those clients ultimately are correct in timing the market, and eventually grab that lower rate and save another $30 per month - think of what they have lost by waiting. While they delayed, they lost the savings they could have gained by taking action sooner - or in the example used, $250 - for every single month they waited. So even if they got lucky and obtained the rate they were looking for, it could take years to make up what they lost by waiting.

I don't want anyone to miss an opportunity by either waiting, or not understanding what is at stake.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/economyNews/...E5115UL20090202

"You ought to go right at housing first," Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Republican minority leader, told reporters on Monday. "We have already indicated that we think this 4 percent mortgage proposal... is something that can work and make a difference."

If I lock now and all these stupid proposals go through will I be able to change the rate prior to closing?

Has anyone had any luck with FHA streamline refi? I closed at 6.25% FHA 30 year back in October; looking to refi for a better rate and expect to pay some closing costs. I plan to be here for 20+ years so willing to pay now to save money long term. I called Countrywide and got a quote, they wanted approx. 6k closing for 5.0% refi, break even on that in approx 36 months. Has anyone had any good experiences lately with FHA streamline quotes or any FBG brokers who can handle this in Indiana? I saw PenFed doesn't handle anything FHA and it seems kind of hit and miss as to which companies deal with them.
If anyone is in a similar situation with an FHA loan. I went back to the original lender and they offered to streamline refi at 5.0% for only around $1,600 closing costs. Basically lower my monthly payment by about $170 for $1,600 upfront; should break even in about 10 months then its all savings from there. If you are already in the FHA loan program, the streamline refi is a very easy process.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/economyNews/...E5115UL20090202

"You ought to go right at housing first," Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Republican minority leader, told reporters on Monday. "We have already indicated that we think this 4 percent mortgage proposal... is something that can work and make a difference."

If I lock now and all these stupid proposals go through will I be able to change the rate prior to closing?
most loans will let you "float down" either for free or for a 1/2 point or something. Check with your lender before locking to know for sure. I'm in the middle of a refi and I have the option of floating down if rates get lower than what I locked at prior to us closing on the new mortgage.

Lender offering 1/2 point to float. We had planned on closing in two weeks but since it is a new house we are wondering if we should just wait until these proposed rated go in effect. If that house is gone we can just find another one.

I will say that is the problem with all these reports. As a buyer on the fence I am waiting to hear about the 15,000 as well as these low rates. The builder is getting pissed but we are not sure that the deal won't be substantially better soon just based on these two factors. The real estate market is basically frozen until they decide these issues.

I will say that is the problem with all these reports. As a buyer on the fence I am waiting to hear about the 15,000 as well as these low rates. The builder is getting pissed but we are not sure that the deal won't be substantially better soon just based on these two factors. The real estate market is basically frozen until they decide these issues.
As far as I know, the 15K is something you could deduct regardless of when you purchase this year because it will be a change to the tax code not dependent on a point in time. One thing to remember, if you get in for say 5% and then two months from now there is a 4% rate, you can just refi. It may cost you a bit out of pocket but if the % is large enough you'll come out way ahead at the end of the loan.

Sitting here patiently with my finger on the trigger waiting for this crap to go through... come on 4%.... #### that would be awesome...

I think a rates like this would be a smarter way to jumpstart the market than the 7500-15000 they are talking about handing out to new home buyers. This would take care of new home buyers and existing home buyers. Idiots with a low rate worries me less than idiots with 15k of free money in their pocket.

I think a rates like this would be a smarter way to jumpstart the market than the 7500-15000 they are talking about handing out to new home buyers. This would take care of new home buyers and existing home buyers. Idiots with a low rate worries me less than idiots with 15k of free money in their pocket.
:goodposting: Heck, they could have just taken the the $100k+ per working American from the last bailout and this stimulus and deposited it in everyone's mortgage and we would all be better off. Just think about it. 1.6 trillion. 150 million workers, including the richest people. That means we are spending over $100,000 per worker. Where the hell is that all going? My wife and I work and our mortgage would be paid off. I think that would open up our consumer spending a bit and also put us in a great position for retirement and college tuitions, etc. Instead, we spend $900 billion trying to create hundreds of thousands of jobs when that money would be life changing for 95% of EVERY worker in our country. I would rather spend life changing money on 140 million people instead of less than 1% of that number.

If you do not find anyone, let me know, I can find someone for you with my contacts. Also, just FYI- Talking to some guys with Countrywide that I know and they were saying that they have 'the best rates out there' right now but they are swamped and are at 60 day locks that they are even blowing. Not sure how 'accurate' the best rates thing is or if that extends out of Chicago but might be worthwhile for you guys looking to call Countrywide.
Thanks, I'll check CW and PM you for contacts if needed.

PM Meno Brown.... Solid guy and he is in Flower Mound... What part of Dallas are you in?
In Frisco and looking to either refi or would possibly purchase around Allen, Richardson, Murphy area. Thanks for the hookup.

:lmao: Heck, they could have just taken the the $100k+ per working American from the last bailout and this stimulus and deposited it in everyone's mortgage and we would all be better off. Just think about it. 1.6 trillion. 150 million workers, including the richest people. That means we are spending over $100,000 per worker. Where the hell is that all going? My wife and I work and our mortgage would be paid off. I think that would open up our consumer spending a bit and also put us in a great position for retirement and college tuitions, etc. Instead, we spend $900 billion trying to create hundreds of thousands of jobs when that money would be life changing for 95% of EVERY worker in our country. I would rather spend life changing money on 140 million people instead of less than 1% of that number.
We could take some of this money and put it into education... perhaps improve math skills? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread