What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (2 Viewers)

Check out this blog for good, up-to-the minute info. Tuesday you get 4.625. As of yesterday 5.25 was probably the best you could get, and even then only if you were lucky. That's a big jump. The better the economy, stocks, etc. the worse for mortgage rates is one rule of thumb. So all the good news this week about the recession is really impacting mortgage rates.

Because my 60-day rate lock expiration ends on June 9th, I called my mortgage guy at WF on Tuesday. He told me that the (30-year fixed Home Affordable Refinance) mortgage is processing slowly (not because of me - I got my stuff in quickly), but I'll be able to keep my rate locked at no charge if we have to close after June 9th. I just to check in here to make sure this happens often enough that is sounds credible - and if not, what else would I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if 2nd mortgages are being allowed under the Obama Homeowner Plan? Previously, under the 1st plan, only the primary mortgages could be refinanced, but, for people like me, it didn't produce much savings unless I bought points.

The Noid said:
Check out this blog for good, up-to-the minute info. Tuesday you get 4.625. As of yesterday 5.25 was probably the best you could get, and even then only if you were lucky. That's a big jump. The better the economy, stocks, etc. the worse for mortgage rates is one rule of thumb. So all the good news this week about the recession is really impacting mortgage rates.
So what's the prognosis for this in the future? Are these super low rates going to be a thing of the past?I would have to think the Obama administration is going to do what it can to keep these rates low.

The Noid said:
So what's the prognosis for this in the future? Are these super low rates going to be a thing of the past?I would have to think the Obama administration is going to do what it can to keep these rates low.
When you put in a historical perspective, 5-5.5% for a 30yr is still close to super low. The days of 4.5 might be over for awhile, but even if 4.875-5.00 remains the occasional low point that's still going to be something the "administration" views as a good thing.

Does anyone know if 2nd mortgages are being allowed under the Obama Homeowner Plan? Previously, under the 1st plan, only the primary mortgages could be refinanced, but, for people like me, it didn't produce much savings unless I bought points.
According to my broker, 2nd mortgages are not allowed. You can still refinance the first if your 2nd bank will re-subordinate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because my 60-day rate lock expiration ends on June 9th, I called my mortgage guy at WF on Tuesday. He told me that the (30-year fixed Home Affordable Refinance) mortgage is processing slowly (not because of me - I got my stuff in quickly), but I'll be able to keep my rate locked at no charge if we have to close after June 9th. I just to check in here to make sure this happens often enough that is sounds credible - and if not, what else would I need to do?
Yeah, if it's obvious that you provided everything in a timely fashion, they'll probably honor the rate. I worked for and my girlfriend continues to work for Chase and that's what they do, as well.

Confident Stocks Push Mortgage Rates Higher

Continued confidence from eager equity investors sparked a rally in stock markets forcing fixed income investors to liquidate their holdings of mortgage-backed securities. After a healthy "Black Wednesday" rebound late last week, MBS gave back all of the gains yesterday, closing at Thursday's 5pm "going out" marks. All lenders repriced for the worse as MBS prices moved lower into the close. Helping to create the optimism was better than expected economic reports. Construction spending came in higher, personal income higher, spending was not as bad as predicted(still negative month over month) and the ISM index is showing continued improvement in the manufacturing sector of our economy.

Early reports from fellow mortgage professionals are indicating the par 30 year fixed rate mortgage to be in the 5.125% to 5.375% range. In order to qualify, you must have a FICO credit score 740 or higher, a loan to value 80% or less and be willing to pay all costs associated with your loan including 1 point loan origination/discount/broker fee.

Thought we were good to go with our Re-fi at 4.65%. But then the "independant" appraisal came in way low. Now the bank is telling us to pony up the extra $75/mo for PMI. I looked at the appraisal and it looks all very official, but how subjective/selective is the appraisers slection of comparitive properies? Is there a public source to look at everything sold in the area to see if there are examples that put us in a better light?

According to my broker, 2nd mortgages are not allowed. You can still refinance the first if your 2nd bank will re-subordinate.
I'm one of those people who would love to refinance, but don't think I can.I owe about the same amount that my home is worth so FHA Loan doesn't even work...Under the Obama plan, like you said, I can only refinance my 1st loan, but that basically saves no money unless I'm willing to buy points.I know there's going to be a 2nd phase to the Obama plan, but I fear that mortgage rates are going to be higher than these great low rates everyone is getting right nowFrustrating.

I'm one of those people who would love to refinance, but don't think I can.I owe about the same amount that my home is worth so FHA Loan doesn't even work...Under the Obama plan, like you said, I can only refinance my 1st loan, but that basically saves no money unless I'm willing to buy points.I know there's going to be a 2nd phase to the Obama plan, but I fear that mortgage rates are going to be higher than these great low rates everyone is getting right nowFrustrating.
Same boat here. Don't qualify for mortgage modification but can't get a refi either. I think there's a large segment of people that this government plan is missing that should be able to qualify for help(I bought in 2007)

If you have some cash laying around, you could add it to the transaction and get down into the required FHA LTV (I think the highest LTV amount is 97.75), but the mortgage insurance is a doozy. 1.75% up front, .55% (per year, paid monthly) for a minimum of 5 years and until your loan value reaches 78%. It's not really much of an option.

Same boat here. Don't qualify for mortgage modification but can't get a refi either. I think there's a large segment of people that this government plan is missing that should be able to qualify for help(I bought in 2007)
why dont you qualify? Have you been told by the lender you don't qualify or are you just assuming?

I think the problem we have is that we're both new homeowners who don't have equity in our homes yet, plus, at least in my case, my home value dropped by about 8% in this economy. So, it basically makes the appraised value of my home = balance I owe.....Does anyone know if there is anything in the works, any speculation out there, that would help people like us?

If you have some cash laying around, you could add it to the transaction and get down into the required FHA LTV (I think the highest LTV amount is 97.75), but the mortgage insurance is a doozy. 1.75% up front, .55% (per year, paid monthly) for a minimum of 5 years and until your loan value reaches 78%. It's not really much of an option.
I think the FHA Loan I applied for goes up to 95% of LTV. Saying that, I'm not interested in refianancing if I have to buy points, etc, which is what my current mortgage lender told me as their solution to give me meaningful savings in my monthly payment. I just want to go in, refinance without having to pay anything out of my pocket, and that's not an option right now.

We are in the middle of a re-fi now....any tips on the appraisal?
I was told have the place clean....make sure you point out all upgrades....make sure you clear kitchen counter space (makes the kitchen look bigger)....Some have mentioned to research other places in the area as well, maybe you're find some homes that have sold for what you're expecting yours to be, and let them know that when you're talking.

We are in the middle of a re-fi now....any tips on the appraisal?
I was told have the place clean....make sure you point out all upgrades....make sure you clear kitchen counter space (makes the kitchen look bigger)....Some have mentioned to research other places in the area as well, maybe you're find some homes that have sold for what you're expecting yours to be, and let them know that when you're talking.
Also, tell the appraiser what number you are looking for in order to avoid PMI, or other problems with closing. They can't make major adjustments in the value they come up with, but they can generally nudge things a few thousand higher, if necessary to keep the closing running smoothly.

why dont you qualify? Have you been told by the lender you don't qualify or are you just assuming?
Too far underwater, make just too much over the 31% income ratio, not a Freddy or Fanny loan, yada, yada, yada....I've tried talking to the lender and 3 or 4 different mortgage guys, but it's tough to even get them to return phone calls or emails these days.

I think the problem we have is that we're both new homeowners who don't have equity in our homes yet, plus, at least in my case, my home value dropped by about 8% in this economy. So, it basically makes the appraised value of my home = balance I owe.....Does anyone know if there is anything in the works, any speculation out there, that would help people like us?
Yep. Personally I'm quite a bit underwater. A comparable home near me just sold for about 45k less than I owe. And it's my opinion that the pain isn't over yet. More foreclosures are coming and job losses will keep mounting for a while too. I think once the $8000 tax credit expires the housing market will continue its downward trend.The ironic thing is, if I had been less prudent and bought a home that would have been stretching it financially (which the lenders were more than willing to do), I probably would qualify for refi or mod.We're seriously considering letting it go back to the bank if things don't stabilize over the next year. There was an article on MSN today about the next wave of foreclosures being people with prime loans and good credit. This is the boat I'm in, so apparently there's a lot of people out there in this spot. Anyone know how a deed-in-lieu works? Or if banks very often pursue deficiency judgments?

Just locked in to a 30-yr fixed Obama refi @ 4.875%. There are 1.75 pts, but those are worked into the loan. Dropping my monthly payment by $500.

I funded on my Obama refi at 4.875% and no points yesterday.

No appraisal needed - I stated a value where it would be 85% LTV, but since I didn’t have PMI to begin with no PMI needed- and limited income docs.

I thought this is how we got in this mess, but then again I lowered my rate from 5.875 to 4.875, so who am I to complain.

I funded on my Obama refi at 4.875% and no points yesterday. No appraisal needed - I stated a value where it would be 85% LTV, but since I didn’t have PMI to begin with no PMI needed- and limited income docs. I thought this is how we got in this mess, but then again I lowered my rate from 5.875 to 4.875, so who am I to complain.
Nice, guys. I'm at 5.875 as well. Did you contact your bank directly or go through a 3rd party refinancer?

I'm frustrated with my refinance attempt at this point. It has moved at a snails pace - and here's a reason why:

On Friday, May 8th, I got a phone call from the mortgage guy (who basically avoided me for the most part up to this point). He said it was on track, and he needed a couple of more things from me. One was a mortgage payment history from the last 12 months - the other was a written explanation of 2 credit inquiries I had this year. I told him I was out of town, but I'll get those two things in on Tuesday, May 12th.

So, on Tuesday, May 12th, I gave the receptionist the printed mortgage history, and I wrote a detailed explanation of the 2 credit inquiries. One week later, I followed up with the receptionist to make sure that the mortgage guy got both the history and the credit inquiry explanation. She said he got both those things.

Fast forward to yesterday (my 60 day rate lock expires on Tuesday). The underwriter emailed me and the mortgage guy, and asked for the explanation of the 2 credit inquiries. I was furious - what they heck are they doing? I'm doing everything they ask in a very timely manner - and they screw around and either lose things or miscommunicate with each other. While the mortgage guy says don't worry about the rate lock expiration date - I can't really trust how this is going.

Mr. Yuk said:
Fennis said:
I funded on my Obama refi at 4.875% and no points yesterday. No appraisal needed - I stated a value where it would be 85% LTV, but since I didn’t have PMI to begin with no PMI needed- and limited income docs. I thought this is how we got in this mess, but then again I lowered my rate from 5.875 to 4.875, so who am I to complain.
Nice, guys. I'm at 5.875 as well. Did you contact your bank directly or go through a 3rd party refinancer?
Third party here, Quicken Loans. Ask for a DU Refi Plus.

I'm in the same boat. My loan is held by Fannie but I pay PMI so they consider the insurance company on the hook for the loan. Plus the appraisal came back way low. I have exhausted every avenue to this point.

How would you guys recommend a first time home buyer go about applying for a mortgage? How do you know you're picking a reputable broker?

I've thought about trying The Lending Tree to start. Also a local realtor I know has a guy he highly recommends so I've considered going that route. I'm in the market for a foreclosure so maybe I just want to apply with one of the banks. :goodposting:

Thanks for the info--

Mr. Yuk said:
Fennis said:
Mortgage broker. To be fair, hes a friend, so he didn't charge me points and made about .50 on the back-end

The bloodbath continues. No point loans are at 5.75-6.00. Those reports that were saying 4.00 was possible might have caused a lot of people to miss the boat on some really good rates.

The bloodbath continues. No point loans are at 5.75-6.00. Those reports that were saying 4.00 was possible might have caused a lot of people to miss the boat on some really good rates.
Bummer....it had to end sometime.I finally convinced my Sister in Law to buy and it just took them too long to act....She is gonna be pissed.

My 60-day rate lock expired 2 days ago. Still nothing from Wells Fargo on a closing date. If this gets done, I'll take it as a postive surprise - I'm assuming this won't get done.

Just closed last Tuesday for 4.875% with no points, but I also had equity of about 25% so I could go conventional refi.

I have a friend that is still building and he is getting screwed since he can't get a lock until he is within a certain timeframe of occupancy; don't know what the timeframe is, but I know he is pulling his hair out as the rates rise.

The Noid said:
I started the process 6 weeks ago, I am finally to the point where I can lock in the rates. :blackdot: I am in a 5% ARM that will expire in the fall. Should I lock in at 6% or wait it out?

The Noid said:
I started the process 6 weeks ago, I am finally to the point where I can lock in the rates. :rolleyes: I am in a 5% ARM that will expire in the fall. Should I lock in at 6% or wait it out?
I would wait it out.

Bogeys said:
I have a friend that is still building and he is getting screwed since he can't get a lock until he is within a certain timeframe of occupancy; don't know what the timeframe is, but I know he is pulling his hair out as the rates rise.
This is me too. I've been building since November, just craving to lock at 4.5% but wasn't far enough along. Now this debacle. I'm hanging tight. I believe all the recovery press is way overblown. I'm waiting for the Fed to take some action, rates to bounce lower and quickly pounce. If not, oh well.What do menobrown and the other mortgage guys think?

I'm frustrated with my refinance attempt at this point. It has moved at a snails pace - and here's a reason why:On Friday, May 8th, I got a phone call from the mortgage guy (who basically avoided me for the most part up to this point). He said it was on track, and he needed a couple of more things from me. One was a mortgage payment history from the last 12 months - the other was a written explanation of 2 credit inquiries I had this year. I told him I was out of town, but I'll get those two things in on Tuesday, May 12th.So, on Tuesday, May 12th, I gave the receptionist the printed mortgage history, and I wrote a detailed explanation of the 2 credit inquiries. One week later, I followed up with the receptionist to make sure that the mortgage guy got both the history and the credit inquiry explanation. She said he got both those things.Fast forward to yesterday (my 60 day rate lock expires on Tuesday). The underwriter emailed me and the mortgage guy, and asked for the explanation of the 2 credit inquiries. I was furious - what they heck are they doing? I'm doing everything they ask in a very timely manner - and they screw around and either lose things or miscommunicate with each other. While the mortgage guy says don't worry about the rate lock expiration date - I can't really trust how this is going.
Same exact experience here. I got everything in in a timely fashion. My mortgage guy keeps blaming Wells Fargo for taking so long approving my loan. My 60 day rate lock expired and my mortgage guy said he extended it 5 days but still I havent heard anything. Not really sure who to blame here as I did nothing wrong.

djcolts said:
My 60-day rate lock expired 2 days ago. Still nothing from Wells Fargo on a closing date. If this gets done, I'll take it as a postive surprise - I'm assuming this won't get done.
Same here

I'm frustrated with my refinance attempt at this point. It has moved at a snails pace - and here's a reason why:On Friday, May 8th, I got a phone call from the mortgage guy (who basically avoided me for the most part up to this point). He said it was on track, and he needed a couple of more things from me. One was a mortgage payment history from the last 12 months - the other was a written explanation of 2 credit inquiries I had this year. I told him I was out of town, but I'll get those two things in on Tuesday, May 12th.So, on Tuesday, May 12th, I gave the receptionist the printed mortgage history, and I wrote a detailed explanation of the 2 credit inquiries. One week later, I followed up with the receptionist to make sure that the mortgage guy got both the history and the credit inquiry explanation. She said he got both those things.Fast forward to yesterday (my 60 day rate lock expires on Tuesday). The underwriter emailed me and the mortgage guy, and asked for the explanation of the 2 credit inquiries. I was furious - what they heck are they doing? I'm doing everything they ask in a very timely manner - and they screw around and either lose things or miscommunicate with each other. While the mortgage guy says don't worry about the rate lock expiration date - I can't really trust how this is going.
Same exact experience here. I got everything in in a timely fashion. My mortgage guy keeps blaming Wells Fargo for taking so long approving my loan. My 60 day rate lock expired and my mortgage guy said he extended it 5 days but still I havent heard anything. Not really sure who to blame here as I did nothing wrong.
Sounds suspect. But Wells Fargo has been notorious for taking a longer then normal time to underwrite and close loans, 60 days I'm not sure on that. My Wells AE has told us that underwriting alone is taking at least 10 business day to underwrite a file. It could also be that your mortgage person dragged their heals in getting the file to Wells which happens a lot. If the mortgage person is telling you not to worry on the rate lock expiration then have him give you a written lock confirmation showing the new expiration date with your original rate. You could also email the Wells underwriter back and ask when the file was received if you think the mortgage person delayed in getting the application file to Wells. Hope that your rate is still protected for once it expires w/ Wells you will be looking at current market rates which are hovering around 5.5% 30yr fixed 5.125% 15yr fixed.I have submitted a number of files to Wells over the last 4 months and have locked my clients for 60 days and have never had an issue with closing them on time, but then again I don't not wait to long to submit them to Wells. Oh, and it seems as if you are doing all the right things, but someone else is dropping the ball.

Sounds suspect. But Wells Fargo has been notorious for taking a longer then normal time to underwrite and close loans, 60 days I'm not sure on that. My Wells AE has told us that underwriting alone is taking at least 10 business day to underwrite a file. It could also be that your mortgage person dragged their heals in getting the file to Wells which happens a lot. If the mortgage person is telling you not to worry on the rate lock expiration then have him give you a written lock confirmation showing the new expiration date with your original rate. You could also email the Wells underwriter back and ask when the file was received if you think the mortgage person delayed in getting the application file to Wells. Hope that your rate is still protected for once it expires w/ Wells you will be looking at current market rates which are hovering around 5.5% 30yr fixed 5.125% 15yr fixed.I have submitted a number of files to Wells over the last 4 months and have locked my clients for 60 days and have never had an issue with closing them on time, but then again I don't not wait to long to submit them to Wells. Oh, and it seems as if you are doing all the right things, but someone else is dropping the ball.
My relationship with the "mortgage guy" is shaky as it is. He's been "better" at returning phone calls, but early on it was awful. I think the underwriter is not going to be receptive to me because after the email I left a very, very stern voicemail - basically letting out my frustration at this entire process. She didn't call me back (shocking - not). I'm just accepting that the lock won't hold, there won't be a refinance, and I'm out the $400 deposit.

Users who are viewing this thread