What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (1 Viewer)

I signed papers monday.

Now, had I decided to NOT sign and ask for the better rate "or else,  would I have gotten it?  Or would your guy have told me to pound sand Chad?

I signed papers monday.

Now, had I decided to NOT sign and ask for the better rate "or else,  would I have gotten it?  Or would your guy have told me to pound sand Chad?
I was in rate lock at 3.50 and my broker was able to negotiate down to 3.25 by threatening them that I'd be walking if they didn't. Signed today! From 4.375 to 3.25 in less than one year! Incredible!

Approx. $500. 
Seems....low.

Is this every possible fee that goes into the refi?  Appraisal, title, lender, everything?

Cause if so then I feel like a horses bum for getting 3% on a 15 year cash out refi with all inclusive fees over 3 grand

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems....low.

Is this every possible fee that goes into the refi?  Appraisal, title, lender, everything?

Cause if so then I feel like a horses bum for getting 3% on a 15 year cash out refi with all inclusive fees over 3 grand
My closing costs are almost 19k. Dont move to NY lol

Seems....low.

My closing costs are almost 19k. Dont move to NY lol
My closing costs are about $9k, but with lender's credits, I'll owe about $500. I think ghostguy123 didn't see the "basically no cost (with lender's credits)". But yea, NY taxes on the loan are nuts. 

My closing costs are about $9k, but with lender's credits, I'll owe about $500. I think ghostguy123 didn't see the "basically no cost (with lender's credits)". But yea, NY taxes on the loan are nuts. 
When I think of "closing costs", I think "how much money does it cost me to make this transaction".

I mean, that's really what matters, and what makes it either worth it or not.  

So FBG26, how much did it cost you to make your transaction?  I still cant figure it out based on what you have said.

Paying anything out of pocket seems irrelevant.  New loan minus old loan (plus money if a cash out refi).  

It's such a sham. I paid the mortgage tax last year when I bought and now less than a year later have to pay the tax again on the same loan. 

When I think of "closing costs", I think "how much money does it cost me to make this transaction".

I mean, that's really what matters, and what makes it either worth it or not.  

So FBG26, how much did it cost you to make your transaction?  I still cant figure it out based on what you have said.

Paying anything out of pocket seems irrelevant.  New loan minus old loan (plus money if a cash out refi).  
I don't know how to say it more clearly. The fees (appraisal, title, etc.) are like $9k, the lender is kicking in a bunch to pay those fees, so it'll cost me $500.  My loan amount will stay the same. I'll breakeven on the refinance in just over two months. 

I don't know how to say it more clearly. The fees (appraisal, title, etc.) are like $9k, the lender is kicking in a bunch to pay those fees, so it'll cost me $500.  My loan amount will stay the same. I'll breakeven on the refinance in just over two months. 
So the guy is doing it all for you for free?  Seems crazy

Chad, explain to us how this is even possible.  Who makes money here(besides FBG26 of course)?

Chad, explain to us how this is even possible.  Who makes money here(besides FBG26 of course)?
Broker's fee was included in closing costs. Lender's credit is probably supposed to cover his fee, but he's cutting me a deal since our loan amount is pretty large and he's making good money on it anyway. Thus, the lender's credit more than covers his fee and offsets most of the remaining closing costs. Sorry if this explanation doesn't satisfy you, it's the best I've got. 

ghostguy123 said:

Did you look at your closing statement? It should say how much the broker is making on there. Even though my broker “waived his fee” to me on my recent refinance, he was still getting 5 figures on the deal as a commission paid by the lender. 

I have an appt with my lender, but not until next wed.  wonder what the rate will be then.  at 2.5 for a 15 right now.

So why not say that from the beginning instead of being coy.
My statement was that the 2.375 almost is worth redoing my current rate. I've mentioned a few times in this thread that I got a VA mortgage. Not being "coy" at all. 

It would be different if this were the first time I mentioned it, or if I were saying anything about y'all doing the same. 

The 2.375 (15y) rate is better in many ways. 

I’ve been trying to refinance our rental property (single family house) in Florida but with no luck. Currently at 4.25% which is fine but I wouldn’t mind getting some cash out. No one wants to refi in Florida and I’ve kind of given up. Is it worth it to keep working on this or just live with what I’ve got?

I’ve been trying to refinance our rental property (single family house) in Florida but with no luck. Currently at 4.25% which is fine but I wouldn’t mind getting some cash out. No one wants to refi in Florida and I’ve kind of given up. Is it worth it to keep working on this or just live with what I’ve got?
What's the problem with Florida? 

Bump - what do you mortgage guys say about the 10 yr collapse today?  I’m in the middle of a refi, currently locked at 2.85% on a 15 yr.  Should I back out? 

Bump - what do you mortgage guys say about the 10 yr collapse today?  I’m in the middle of a refi, currently locked at 2.85% on a 15 yr.  Should I back out? 
Mortgage bonds are only up 17bps right now, they're not moving the same anymore. Investors are worrying about the runoff in their portfolios and at the same time you have lenders messing with margins to try and keep control of their processing and underwriting times. At my company at broke records for our region with the number of loans locked every day so far this week. I've been working 12 hour days just to try and keep up with the phone calls and appointments. So much crazier than Brexit when I was originating at Wells Fargo and they went to 60 day locks due to the influx of volume. 

Aaaaaaannnnndddd now they're up 42bps. Will be very interesting to see pricing today among the major lenders...

tommyGunZ said:
Right now the rates are not following the treasury as much as they normally do due to convexity buying. 

I am advising my clients to get their applications in and float for now. Take a wait and see. 

2.85% on a 15 yr is generally a  good rate (being blind to all else)

CR69 said:
Mortgage bonds are only up 17bps right now, they're not moving the same anymore. Investors are worrying about the runoff in their portfolios and at the same time you have lenders messing with margins to try and keep control of their processing and underwriting times. At my company at broke records for our region with the number of loans locked every day so far this week. I've been working 12 hour days just to try and keep up with the phone calls and appointments. So much crazier than Brexit when I was originating at Wells Fargo and they went to 60 day locks due to the influx of volume. 
I have heard Wells is at 90 day mandatory locks.... that was over a month ago..... they might be at 120 now. A meme is going around that says 

"Look, if Wells Fargo says that they will refinance you, they will. You don't need to remind them every six months." 

Ok.... I need to take a break..... so.... let me give some info here....

RATE ENVY: Guys (meant as the non gender- all of you) you need to understand that there isn't just one rate out there. One person can have a rate at 2.75% with truly no cost and there is no way in BLEEPITY BLEEP you can get that. I can't get that for myself even if we did the loan for free. Another person can be getting a 3.75% rate and it is a damn good rate for them. 2.75% and 3.75% is a big swing. But it all matters about the specifics and that isn't even talking about points, credits and fees. You have to be careful of the tricks that are played with lenders. Some love to offer attractive rates but then fine print is 2 or 3% in origination points OR an attractive rate and no points but then several thousand in various fees. Finally, everyone is very busy right now- supply and demand. That means margins will increase and not decrease for lenders. They can be pickier right now. 

The following things impact what kind of rate is available which means you are likely not comparing apples to apples when talking to someone else and their rate.

Type of property- SFR, Condo, etc

Occupancy of property- owner occupied, second home, investment, etc

Location of property

Type of loan- VA, FHA, conventional, USDA, non-QM, portfolio, etc

Amount of loan

Credit score

Loan to Value and Combined Loan to Value 

Type of transaction- purchase, rate and term refi, cash out refi

Amortization type- ARM, fixed, IO

PMI type- Upfront, monthly, lender paid, etc

Escrow type

Documentation type

I might be forgetting something.... I am running on fumes and caffeine right now. 

The following things impact what kind of rate is available which means you are likely not comparing apples to apples when talking to someone else and their rate.

Type of property- SFR, Condo, etc

Occupancy of property- owner occupied, second home, investment, etc

Location of property

Type of loan- VA, FHA, conventional, USDA, non-QM, portfolio, etc

Amount of loan

Credit score

Loan to Value and Combined Loan to Value 

Type of transaction- purchase, rate and term refi, cash out refi

Amortization type- ARM, fixed, IO

PMI type- Upfront, monthly, lender paid, etc

Escrow type

Documentation type

I might be forgetting something.... I am running on fumes and caffeine right now. 
Most of these make sense, even if I wouldn't have thought of them. 

But how does escrow type factor in? I removed escrow, rate didn't change (wouldn't have removed it if the rate increased)

Most of these make sense, even if I wouldn't have thought of them. 

But how does escrow type factor in? I removed escrow, rate didn't change (wouldn't have removed it if the rate increased)
That is more about over 80% LTV (Loan to Value) there are options on getting a waiver on escrow accounts. That may or may not increase rate/cost on a loan. Under 80% LTV it is your decision to have or not have it with no impact on rate/cost.

That is more about over 80% LTV (Loan to Value) there are options on getting a waiver on escrow accounts. That may or may not increase rate/cost on a loan. Under 80% LTV it is your decision to have or not have it with no impact on rate/cost.
How much does it cost to have escrow set up and how much each year during the loan?

I never even realized it was optional at any point.

Users who are viewing this thread