What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (2 Viewers)

Headed to Thanksgiving with the extended family. We usually play several hours of Settlers of Catan and/or Ticket to Ride.

I know there are a lot of recommendations in this thread, but can anyone throw at a few suggestions for adults that are along these lines in terms of level of thinking/strategy and enjoyment?

Would love to pick up something new on the way out of town.
Not a board game, but I'd highly recommend Dominion. It's quick, easy and addictive. We used to play a lot of Settlers or Ticket to Ride before Dominion came along, now, it's been pretty much exclusively Dominion for the last several months.

Headed to Thanksgiving with the extended family. We usually play several hours of Settlers of Catan and/or Ticket to Ride.

I know there are a lot of recommendations in this thread, but can anyone throw at a few suggestions for adults that are along these lines in terms of level of thinking/strategy and enjoyment?

As mentioned below, Dominion is great.

But my new favorite is easily 7 Wonders. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, I think, but here are the pros:

--Can play 3-7 players (8 if you get the Cities expansion)

--Play is simultaneous, so 3 players or 7 players takes the same amount of time

--Game is <30 minutes (and can be as little as 15-20 once everyone knows what they are doing)

--Lots of different ways to win and lots of variability

--Not expensive

--2 great expansions (Leaders and Cities) and you can get a 3rd mini-expansion that just adds 4 boards

--My 8 yo is able to play this and play it well. So you can actually get certain kids involved depending on how they can handle strategy games

For a quick, really fun filler I'd recommend Tsuro. Can be very light or pretty deep, but takes 5 minutes to setup and 15 to play. Can play up to 8, I think, and is great for kids. We have fun with it all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not a board game, but I'd highly recommend Dominion. It's quick, easy and addictive. We used to play a lot of Settlers or Ticket to Ride before Dominion came along, now, it's been pretty much exclusively Dominion for the last several months.
I've been totally hooked on Dominion recently too. It's actually become kind of an obsession collecting the various expansions (there are eight expansions plus the base game). The game is definitely better with the some of the expansions, but I played the base game for a long time with no complaints.

Kingdom Builder is another game by the same designer as Dominion. It's an actual board game, so if you prefer that to a deck building card game like Dominion this might be good for you too.

Small World is good choice too if you're playing with people that don't normally play board games.

Small World was a bit of a bust first go-round. Way too much setup and confusion for the kids. Hope it gets better or I may be ebaying it.

I just downloaded all of the .pdf files out there for "Cards Against Humanity" and printed them off at Staples.

Hilarious "Apples to Apples" type of game with crude and rude answers...just perfect for adult Thanksgiving gaming.

I've been totally hooked on Dominion recently too. It's actually become kind of an obsession collecting the various expansions (there are eight expansions plus the base game). The game is definitely better with the some of the expansions, but I played the base game for a long time with no complaints.Kingdom Builder is another game by the same designer as Dominion. It's an actual board game, so if you prefer that to a deck building card game like Dominion this might be good for you too.

Small World is good choice too if you're playing with people that don't normally play board games.
What's a good play set for 2 players? I love the game but we find that it is very one sided as things go on when we use the card sets they recommend to start with.

Apples to Apples...

I draw "cuddily"

I get 8 cards... last one "Boy Scouts"

Game over.
If you like "Apples to Apples" and matching cuddly with Boy Scouts...you HAVE to play "Cards Against Humanity".
In a two hour game of Cards my friend and her mom learned more about each other then they have ever done so with "real talk". It's a great fun game especially for casual audiences that are new to it. If you like it try the expansions.

Small World was a bit of a bust first go-round. Way too much setup and confusion for the kids. Hope it gets better or I may be ebaying it.
That's too bad the first run didn't go better. I know the rules can seem confusing at first, but it really is a pretty simple game once you start playing. I hope it gets better for you.

I've been totally hooked on Dominion recently too. It's actually become kind of an obsession collecting the various expansions (there are eight expansions plus the base game). The game is definitely better with the some of the expansions, but I played the base game for a long time with no complaints.Kingdom Builder is another game by the same designer as Dominion. It's an actual board game, so if you prefer that to a deck building card game like Dominion this might be good for you too.

What's a good play set for 2 players? I love the game but we find that it is very one sided as things go on when we use the card sets they recommend to start with.
I don't use the recommended card set ups. Those can be good at first when you are learning the game, but once you've played it once or twice it's better to use the randomizer cards and just have 10 random card piles. If you're playing with just the base game, you might consider adding one of the expansions. I'd go with Seaside or Intrigue at first.

I just downloaded all of the .pdf files out there for "Cards Against Humanity" and printed them off at Staples.

Hilarious "Apples to Apples" type of game with crude and rude answers...just perfect for adult Thanksgiving gaming.
One of my coworkers uses Cards Against Humanity as a social filter. If a person doesn't like playing Cards Against Humanity, he's not interested in being social with that person.

The Obozo Game. It's a remake of Public Assistance, which was the only game banned by an act of congress. It's hilarious to play. The whole point is to stay on welfare and not get a job.

Pandemic on sale for $28. Great game. We have lots of fun with it and it is perfect for kids - since it is cooperative no delicate egos are bruised.

Received a copy today of the first thing that I ever funded on Kickstarter. It's a copy of Robot Turtles. Got it for my kids. Subtly teaches them basics of programming while moving turtles around.

Okay I am looking for a game to get that my girlfriend will enjoy. Currently, we have a gaming group of 2-5 people and the two of us that play most often is myself and a friend. We are the more hardcore gamers in the group and like stuff like Descent, Agricola, Carcassonne, and 7 Wonders. The other three in the group including my girlfriend are definitely casual gamers that don't want strategy and enjoy the games that involve more luck and less thinking. Particularly games that have been a hit with my girlfriend and the casual group are Killer Bunnies, Resistance, Solar Quest, Monopoly, Clue, Cards Against Humanity(favorite drinking game) and Munchkin to an extent. I have struck out researching and acquiring games like King of Tokyo, Gloom, and Kill Doctor Lucky, only to have them be a solid meh reaction after playing. This happens primarily because my friend and I usually win the competitive games 90% of the time, even when we aren't trying. I'll probably be looking to trade these games, the three that struck out for our group, in the future if anyone is interested. It has become apparent that competition isn't exactly the best thing for this group and the one hardcore game that has worked well is Descent because of its cooperative aspect. So, I am looking at games like Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, and Pandemic in the future. Do you guys recommend any of these over the other or any other cooperative based game for casual gamers.

Okay I am looking for a game to get that my girlfriend will enjoy. Currently, we have a gaming group of 2-5 people and the two of us that play most often is myself and a friend. We are the more hardcore gamers in the group and like stuff like Descent, Agricola, Carcassonne, and 7 Wonders. The other three in the group including my girlfriend are definitely casual gamers that don't want strategy and enjoy the games that involve more luck and less thinking. Particularly games that have been a hit with my girlfriend and the casual group are Killer Bunnies, Resistance, Solar Quest, Monopoly, Clue, Cards Against Humanity(favorite drinking game) and Munchkin to an extent. I have struck out researching and acquiring games like King of Tokyo, Gloom, and Kill Doctor Lucky, only to have them be a solid meh reaction after playing. This happens primarily because my friend and I usually win the competitive games 90% of the time, even when we aren't trying. I'll probably be looking to trade these games, the three that struck out for our group, in the future if anyone is interested. It has become apparent that competition isn't exactly the best thing for this group and the one hardcore game that has worked well is Descent because of its cooperative aspect. So, I am looking at games like Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, and Pandemic in the future. Do you guys recommend any of these over the other or any other cooperative based game for casual gamers.
Pandemic rules. Also, though it is competitive, have a look at Galaxy Trucker. You build ships and then watch them get blown to bits. Loads of fun, and the randomness of the second half of the game makes it not so cutthroat. Lots of fun!

Apples to Apples...

I draw "cuddily"

I get 8 cards... last one "Boy Scouts"

Game over.
If you like "Apples to Apples" and matching cuddly with Boy Scouts...you HAVE to play "Cards Against Humanity".
What he said.
Never laughed so hard in my life. Gave this to some friends and we played it tonight.
My buddy got me Cards and the expansion pack :bag: and I played it with a good mix of liberal and conservative people. One half of the group was laughing their butts off, the other half was looking up definitions of raunchy terms on their phones. Lots of fun.

Pandemic is awesome 2-4 player Cooperative board game. That is all. Glad to see it getting some props here.

Pandemic is awesome fun...can't seem to get a victory with 5 Infection cards yet...can't imagine playing with 6. Only played maybe 5 games though.

Really fun game.

Dominion is incredible...I really enjoy it. I bought the base cards on Amazon for $8 and then looked on BGG for the best expansion and bought Properity so I can play. It's a really, REALLY solid game...great mechanics...and always fresh since the starting 10 kingdoms (action cards) are random.

A lot of you have talked about Pandemic here. I've stayed away for now since it says 13 and up and my son is 9. Figured I'd get it later when it might be better for him. But, do you think it's something he might be able to handle? FWIW, he can play 7 Wonders and Dominion just fine so he can handle game concepts well overall.

Posted this in the swap shop thread, but I have a like new (played once) Small World I'm looking to trade or sell. Game got a lot of positive reviews in this thread but I can tell it's not going to get much play with my family.

NYE is a game night here. Past couple of years its been Apples to Apples , good fun but looking for something different. Anything good for anywhere from 6 to maybe up to 12 players?

Was thinking of getting either Smart A S S or 5 Second Rule

NYE is a game night here. Past couple of years its been Apples to Apples , good fun but looking for something different. Anything good for anywhere from 6 to maybe up to 12 players?

Was thinking of getting either Smart ### or 5 Second Rule
One that was a hit for us was to get pictionary, but then buy a huge dry erase board and draw a line down the center. Two teams. Basically creating a win lose or draw type game. Very loud / high energy.

Pandemic is awesome fun...can't seem to get a victory with 5 Infection cards yet...can't imagine playing with 6. Only played maybe 5 games though.

Really fun game.

Dominion is incredible...I really enjoy it. I bought the base cards on Amazon for $8 and then looked on BGG for the best expansion and bought Properity so I can play. It's a really, REALLY solid game...great mechanics...and always fresh since the starting 10 kingdoms (action cards) are random.
I love Dominion but the replay-ability for me grew tires since the "big money" approach nearly always is optimal. There is an iOS version of the game that is very good as well.

A lot of you have talked about Pandemic here. I've stayed away for now since it says 13 and up and my son is 9. Figured I'd get it later when it might be better for him. But, do you think it's something he might be able to handle? FWIW, he can play 7 Wonders and Dominion just fine so he can handle game concepts well overall.
I think he'd be fine... especially given the game is Co-Operative. At no point will he be "on an island" with regards to having to make his own decisions. Everyone works together discussing the joint strategy for every move. The initial adoption of the rules is admittedly a significant hurdle, but once you have that "aha" movement and "get" the mechanics, it's actually a rather simple game to play. Not so simple to master. ;)

We are still playing with 4 Infection cards (winning ~60-70% of the time)... haven't made the leap to 5 yet. It is amazing how quickly the game can spiral out of control and go from an obvious win to getting smoked. :lol:

I'm pretty surprised to see so many here like filler, party games vs meaty, strategy games.
Some of us like to :nerd: :nerd: and some of us like to :suds:

I enjoy a good strategy game, but I am a very social person and the vast majority of my time playing games is spent with a group of folks having beverages and trying to unwind a bit. These looser, more "fun" party games fit what is most enjoyable for me most of the time.

Was thinking of getting either Smart ### or 5 Second Rule
Wits 'n' Wagers is a good party game for big groups. Others would be Pictionary, as mentioned, or Taboo/Catchphrase.

I've been hooked on Tzol'kin for the past few months. Not groundbreaking like Agricola or Puerto Rico were for me, but I love the theme and the way they handle time passing.

BTW, for any couples out there that mainly just play 2-player games, check out Richard Ham's YouTube channel. He gives playthroughs and reviews on games from a 2-player perspective. He designed video games before retiring to Europe with his wife and now all they do is order and play board games.

ETA: his playthroughs are helpful for any number of players (and cover games designed for many different numbers of players), just his opinions are highly slanted to how he and his wife enjoy the game; he places high value on theme/immersion too.

Absolutely...plus, it's open handed and communal. You can guide anyone of pretty much any age.

Was thinking of getting either Smart A S S or 5 Second Rule
We've already said...Cards Against Humanity...it's Apples for the twisted adult.

I got Dominion a couple of years ago, opened it and looked at the directions . . . and got completely overwhelmed. They look incredibly complex. Is there a cliff's notes version of the directions?

I got Dominion a couple of years ago, opened it and looked at the directions . . . and got completely overwhelmed. They look incredibly complex. Is there a cliff's notes version of the directions?
Usually on the game page of whatever game it is, on boardgamegeek.com, they have player aids and such to help folks learn the various games.

For some of the more complex games (NOT Dominion, but more like Dominant Species, Through the Ages, etc), there are a few guys who make instructional videos on how to play them.

Or find some folks near you who play hobby boardgames and they can teach you.

You just need to play through it once or twice. It's not complicated at all. My 8 year old can play this game. And it's a fantastic game.

You just need to play through it once or twice. It's not complicated at all. My 8 year old can play this game. And it's a fantastic game.
Hmm, I've played tons of Settlers, Carcassonne, other strategy games, but just couldn't get into Dominion. The difference might be my girlfriend as well, as she hasn't played any strategy games, and was like :loco: .

Side note, if anyone's interested in trading, I'd give it up for Ticket to Ride, or Eurorails. We have opened Dominion, and attempted to play once. It just wasn't as engaging as I was hoping, I should have done much more research on the game itself instead of buying it as it's so popular.

I had my bro/SIL give my son a game called Quarto for Christmas after having read about it. It's one of those simple games that's awesome, and it's particular quirks are mind bending. I'd highly recommend.

I've only played the Prosperity expansion but I'm sure the mechanics are very similar across the board.

You start with 3 estates and 7 copper cards. You shuffle them up and put them face down in front of you...you select five cards and that's your playing hand. You can't do anything with estates...so you use your copper to buy stuff. Let's say you got 4 copper...you look to buy an "Action" card. That action card allows you to do certain things...like an extra buy, an extra action, a victory point or some other game mechanic. You take that Action card and put it in your personal discard pile. You have no more actions or buys available on your turn so time for "cleanup". Take the estate card you pulled and the 4 coppers you played to buy the action card and put them all in your discard pile. Now select your next five cards from your personal draw pile. Next person's turn...and so on...then when it's your turn...you've got 2 estates and 3 coppers. Buy a silver and put it in your discard pile. Now cleanup...putting the 2 estates and copper cards you played into the discard pile.

Now you don't have a draw pile...so...time to reshuffle your discard pile. Shuffle it all up and create your draw pile again. Now you draw five cards and continue play.

Basically you have your Action phase, then Buy phase, then Cleanup Phase...very simple. First couple of turns you have no action cards...so it's just buying. The Actions cards will tell you what they do...look at the board and figure out what combos you'd like to try to do with the action cards getting shuffled through your discard deck and into your draw pile.

It only looks complicated...and some of the actions can be a little tricky but there's sample hands in the rules, and more detailed descriptions on the cards in the rules...plus there's a great FAQ on BGG. Seriously give the game another try...even if you only sit down with one other person or just play a couple of hands by yourself. It's not difficult at all and very, very cool with the way every game can be different and have different combos. Sure...Big Money can kinda take over...but it's not the only way to play.

I had my bro/SIL give my son a game called Quarto for Christmas after having read about it. It's one of those simple games that's awesome, and it's particular quirks are mind bending. I'd highly recommend.
Woa...I like the look of that. I'm almost finishing up making a Crokinole board...I think I'll knock out that Quarto game real quick in my garage, just after...

We got Magblast recently. Fun, accessible card game. Space fleet combat theme. My son and I love it, my daughter who gets ganged up on, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread