What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (2 Viewers)

No, I host a BG podcast dedicated to the heavier-end of the hobby. The interviews are with designers, publishers, and such. Also handing out our physical awards at our meetup. Going to be a very exhausting, but exciting trip! Just gotta make it another 3 hours here at work....
Awesome - name of podcast?

What do you mean by heavy-ish?  I used to play ASL a lot, and that is the 2 ton anvil on the heavy end of the scale.  I'm curious what you cover.

Awesome - name of podcast?

What do you mean by heavy-ish?  I used to play ASL a lot, and that is the 2 ton anvil on the heavy end of the scale.  I'm curious what you cover.
Heavy Cardboard and, honestly, war games should have their own weight scale. We occasionally cover war games, but heavy Euros & 18xx games are our main wheelhouse. I have a pretty extensive war game library, just haven't been making it a priority to get them played. Usually during the slow time of the year (February-July) is when we have more time for those and older games. Starting last month, it's 'Cult of the New' esp w/Essen around the corner. :)

If you can get 6 or even better, get 8 people together for board gaming...then you must have:

Captain Sonar

Get it and thank me later.
Had not heard of it before reading it in this thread.  

Gonna go ahead and put it on a Wish List now and read about it later.   

Holidays seems to be the times when the boards and cards come out most frequently.

Mad Cow said:
Out of stock everywhere it seems.  Looks way cool.  Apparently, they only ran a limited run at production and did not anticipate how popular it would be.
I'm fortunate to be very good friends with a LGS owner. He Kickstarts everything and Southern Hobby is a pretty good distributor from all that he tells me.

I own quite a few games myself, but I've played all kinds of stuff thanks to him.

Personal favorite over the last couple months has been Clank! - deck builder with an exploration mechanic. 

I'm fortunate to be very good friends with a LGS owner. He Kickstarts everything and Southern Hobby is a pretty good distributor from all that he tells me.

I own quite a few games myself, but I've played all kinds of stuff thanks to him.

Personal favorite over the last couple months has been Clank! - deck builder with an exploration mechanic. 
Sonar looks cool, will wait for it to come back to MSRP though at $50.  $80 on Amazon is not cool.

If anyone here is into Dominion, the latest Adventures expansion is really good.  My group has played it a couple times now and it is becoming my favorite.  The hands run a bit longer though, due to the increased complexity and player choices.
I DON'T F^CKING UNDERSTAND DOMINION.  THE RULES ARE TOO LONG AND CONFUSING. GAHHHHH

Does anyone have a cheatsheet or something?  

What confuses you? All of it?

Dominion is what put deck builders on the map, first ballot HoF.

Start the game with 5 cards from your deck. Buy cards using coins. Play non-coin cards and do exactly what it says on the card. You can only buy one thing or play one non-coin card unless you have +X Buy or +X Action. At the end of your turn discard your hand and draw back to 5 cards in hand. Shuffle your discard if your deck runs out. Rinse. Repeat.

What confuses you? All of it?

Dominion is what put deck builders on the map, first ballot HoF.

Start the game with 5 cards from your deck. Buy cards using coins. Play non-coin cards and do exactly what it says on the card. You can only buy one thing or play one non-coin card unless you have +X Buy or +X Action. At the end of your turn discard your hand and draw back to 5 cards in hand. Shuffle your discard if your deck runs out. Rinse. Repeat.
LOL.  Ok, I'll give it a go.  I just remember buying it because everyone was recommending, and then opened up the instructions, and they were like 50 pages long. 

One of the best ways to learn game rules is youtube.  There are several channels dedicated to running few a round or two of different games to help you see them in action.  Very instructive. 

That said, we have Dominion in our house and have yet to play it.  Need to read/watch the rules. :bag:

I played Captain Sonar a couple months back.  I didn't really care for it.  Clever idea though. 

Just looked at Clank!  Looks fun.  Might need to see if it is around at one of the local game shops.  I have 2 nice ones within 1 mile of my office.

One of the best ways to learn game rules is youtube.  There are several channels dedicated to running few a round or two of different games to help you see them in action.  Very instructive. 

That said, we have Dominion in our house and have yet to play it.  Need to read/watch the rules. :bag:
Yeah, if you know you're going to play a new game I would definitely check out youtube.  I especially like Rohdo runs through it, Will Wheaton's Table Top, and GameNight!. 

So for Christmas I have in the kids' haul Flash Point:Fire Rescue, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and one other.  Should be a fun Christmas.

This thread and this LINK convinced me to try Captain Sonar.  Looks awesome.  

Also have Legendary (deck builder) and Small World (makers of Ticket to Ride) under the tree.

Merry Christmas!

How easy is Ticket to Ride to setup and learn? My wife and Iove Catan, and enjoy non-war strategy games but her family has a hard time remembering lots of rules.

How easy is Ticket to Ride to setup and learn? My wife and Iove Catan, and enjoy non-war strategy games but her family has a hard time remembering lots of rules.
I have an almost 7 yo boy. I think he might really get into TtR. Is that too hard for a 1st grader?

Mad Cow said:
Out of stock everywhere it seems.  Looks way cool.  Apparently, they only ran a limited run at production and did not anticipate how popular it would be.
Just found a copy in Matthews, NC and had it shipped to Lombardi's house.  Gonna game with his crew this weekend before heading back to Cali.

I have an almost 7 yo boy. I think he might really get into TtR. Is that too hard for a 1st grader?
Disclaimer:  No idea offhand what the suggested age range is for Ticket to Ride.  The game mechanics are really simple.  You collect cards of the same color to build railroad lines between cities on the map and I'm fairly certain that a first grader can pick it up.  The game strategy, however, requires that you decide what rails you will need to build longer routes and will probably take a game or two before the child gets it.  But get it they will and they will love it.  It's currently the favorite game in my family with ages ranging from 10-74.

Disclaimer:  No idea offhand what the suggested age range is for Ticket to Ride.  The game mechanics are really simple.  You collect cards of the same color to build railroad lines between cities on the map and I'm fairly certain that a first grader can pick it up.  The game strategy, however, requires that you decide what rails you will need to build longer routes and will probably take a game or two before the child gets it.  But get it they will and they will love it.  It's currently the favorite game in my family with ages ranging from 10-74.
TtR is 8+ while Catan is 10+

I guess I pull the trigger for this.

we've been playing pictionary and charades (both jr versions that allows our 5yo to play with us and her 9yo brother). pieface has been a hit when they have friends over. we got the two player pieface for the holidays.

9yo and I saw this game- brynk- demoed at a toy store... was pretty fun- the opposite of jenga, where you're building and balancing from scratch rather than having to build everyhthing and take away. anybody own this? I worry, like jenga, about kids losing interest after playing a few times.

we've been playing pictionary and charades (both jr versions that allows our 5yo to play with us and her 9yo brother). pieface has been a hit when they have friends over. we got the two player pieface for the holidays.

9yo and I saw this game- brynk- demoed at a toy store... was pretty fun- the opposite of jenga, where you're building and balancing from scratch rather than having to build everyhthing and take away. anybody own this? I worry, like jenga, about kids losing interest after playing a few times.

My son loves Jenga! because he likes the tension. He also really likes to win and/or see me lose.

my fav games over the years: (i prefer 5 player war games)

risk - basic version with a splash of house rules.

axis + allies can actually be enjoyed solo.

illumnati - steve jackson creation, original version.

Illuminati was an instant hit when it was released in 1982 and won the Origins Award for Best Science Fiction Boardgame. It has been Steve Jackson's signature title ever since.

Two to six players compete to take control of groups ranging from the FBI and CIA to the Dentists, increasing their wealth and power for further takeovers, until one rules supreme. Every player has different victory conditions! No ploy is too devious, no stratagem too low, as you scheme your way to victory.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Maker

http://www.old-games.com/download/5355/kingmaker

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/987/kingmaker

Kingmaker simulates the Wars of the Roses, the period of sporadic Civil War in England between 1450 and 1490. Ruled by a weak and mentally unstable king, Henry VI, demoralized by the defeat in France at the end of the Hundred Years War, and encouraged by the ambitions of Richard, Duke of York, and his sons; the country's Noble families used their large private armies in attempts to gain control of the government.

The game is based on the premise that the powerful Noble families used the Lancastrian and Yorkist princes as pawns in a greater game of gaining control of England. Players control factions using their military and political power to control and influence the royal heirs, supporting the heir in their control as king while trying to take down all of the other heirs.

here is an online version you can sample http://playdosgamesonline.com/kingmaker.html

I DON'T F^CKING UNDERSTAND DOMINION.  THE RULES ARE TOO LONG AND CONFUSING. GAHHHHH

Does anyone have a cheatsheet or something?  
I sometimes forget how insular this hobby can be. Whatever you do, stay away from any game that Heavy Cardboard talks about then, esp stuff from Phil Eklund ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a lot of Muchkins with my kids this holiday.  Great game.

Starting to get into Pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread