What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

Played What Do You Meme over the holidays with family.  I thought it was dumb.  When every card is way over the top offensive it kind of loses it's humor.  

Give me Cards Against Humanity any day.

Played Telestrations at Christmas.... tons of fun.

New twist on Pictionary that brings in elements of the kids game “telephone”. Keeps everyone involved all game and usually results in a lot of laughs. Replay ability is high as well.. 

New twist on Pictionary that brings in elements of the kids game “telephone”. Keeps everyone involved all game and usually results in a lot of laughs. Replay ability is high as well.. 
Been playing this for years, great game.  Rounds don't take too long and the commentary regarding the pictures and guesses can be hysterical.

Played What Do You Meme over the holidays with family.  I thought it was dumb.  When every card is way over the top offensive it kind of loses it's humor.  

Give me Cards Against Humanity any day.
This is how I feel about a lot of adult-slanted party games.

Been playing this with paper and pencil for years and years.

My suggestion, once you've got a few of the base game under your belt, is to stop using the given prompts that come with the game and start making up your own sentences.

Per a previous recommendation here, we bought Codenames for our son for Christmas.  We've played it a few times with 4 people and like it, although I think we all prefer Ticket to Ride a little more.  That said, we're taking Codenames to a family Christmas party today where we'll probably play it 4v4, which I suspect will be a lot more fun than just 2v2.
Just following up to add the Codenames is indeed way more fun with 6+ players.  My sister already wants to buy it for her family now.  Great party game and each game only takes 15-20 minutes so you can get through a bunch of rounds pretty quickly. 

Played Root at our board game night recently, great game. I think they're sold out right now, or at least overpriced and tough to find, my buddy got a copy only because he physically went to PAX Unplugged.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/237182/root

Honestly difficult to explain how the gameplay goes other than to say there are 4 factions (more with expansions) that each earn victory points in a unique way, very asymmetric gameplay.

There's one faction that starts with most of the territory and a need to build and maintain. Another that starts in one small area of the map but expands aggressively, almost frantically, with the threat of it all falling apart the whole time if certain conditions aren't met. The third faction holds no territory early on but quietly builds support and eventually incites rebellion within existing territory, making for a crazy late game when everyone's strategies are coming together. The fourth faction is the one I played, it's actually a single robinhood-esque character that has the unique ability to travel through the forest areas of the map that act as borders for everyone else, stealing, sniping, and moving all around the map making allies and enemies. 

Lots of fun. Kinda set-up intensive and the rules would have been gibberish to me if we didn't play a partial practice game as we went to learn wtf was happening. But I'd recommend it. With the different factions and a two-sided board I imagine the replayability is immense, I barely feel like I understand playing my own faction after one game, nevermind the other 3+. 

Just broke out Splendor from under the Christmas tree. Been travelling since Christmas so haven't had time to play. My wife and son picked it up pretty quick on the first go around but now that we all understand how to play, we will have to play again using our newly formed strategies. We love the games that are easy to learn but take a while to master. 

On a semi-related note, my mom picked up "Mouthful" for Christmas as one of those stupid games to play together. We couldn't stop laughing at each other for the first 30 minutes or so but after that, eh. Not much replayability.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter asked for Ticket to Ride for Christmas since she had played it with friends at college and liked it.  We've played it at least once each of the past 4 nights with either 3 or 4 players.  Love the game!  Easy to learn and every game plays out differently.  We'll probably buy ourselves a copy, perhaps one of the other versions (Europe?), when our daughter takes hers back to school after break.
Love Ticket to Ride.  Only played the Europe version once, much harder!

Just broke out Splendor from under the Christmas tree. Been travelling since Christmas so haven't had time to play. My wife and son picked it up pretty quick on the first go around but now that we all understand how to play, we will have to play again using our newly formed strategies. We love the games that are easy to learn but take a while to master. 
Man that is a fun game with the different strategies.  You can shoot for the win with the high values, or build slowly.  Have won and lost with both.

We picked up Magic Maze this christmas.  It may be a bit beneath most here, but its a fun, quick, cooperative game.

Game can play 1-8 (9) players.  The task is to get 4 pawns to specific spots on the board to steal an object, and then escape before the time expires.  It's a true co-op game, and the hook is there is no communication allowed (with minor exceptions).  Every player has a card that allows them to move a pawn in a specific direction.  There are no "turns"  - any player can move any pawn at any time as long as it is in the direction they have.  The "board" is a series of tiles that are built as the game progresses, so no two games would be the same.

There is a separate "Do Something" pawn you are allowed to put in front of someone, and the other "communication" that is allowed is to "intensely stare" at someone.

There are a few spots to add time - but every time you do that, everyone has to switch their move cards - which adds to the confusion as you get used to your new moves.
I picked it up just before Christmas and look forward to playing it soon.

Anyone jump on Century Spice Road? Just got it for Christmas. Loving it. Simple, and FAST. Don't wait long between turns, so no time to go check your phone in between moves. Keeps everyone involved.
Good to hear.  I have picked it up and almost gotten it a couple of times.  Won a $25 gift certificate to the LGS so might just have to grab it.

Anyone play/like Hive?

One of my favorites:

• quick to set up
  • modest play time
  • easy to learn
  • multiple strategies
  • nice flavor/theme
  • different every time
  • quick to break down
The app is pretty good too, for an even cheaper entry into the game. The AI is fairly dumb (although still capable of winning occasionally), but the challenges that come with the app can be quite interesting.

Played a couple party games I had not played before on NYE.

Dixit - This was a lot of fun.  We played with 5 players (including 7yo KanilJr) and had a blast.

The Resistance: Avalon - Played a few games with 6 players.  Each time the same person made a mistake that caused the good side to lose (voted to fail a quest 2x as a good guy and then told everyone they were Merlin).  It was really frustrating and happened because they just weren't paying attention.  I think it will be a lot better with people who are a little more into it.

Once most people left and we were down to 4, we played the Rick and Morty version of Munchkin.  That's always a winner!

Big fan of Catan, Ticket to Ride and Splendor.

Played Splendor for the first time last weekend and started slow, but won the last 3 games in a row.  Found a big key in #of gems needed per victory point.  The 6 gems for 3 points cards and 10 gems for 5 points cards are worth locking up with wildcards.  Don't worry about gaining noble cards unless it is convenient towards the end.

I cracked open Splendor this morning.  A short YouTube overview of the rules and my wife and I knocked out a couple of quick games.  Very enjoyable and playable with 2.   I'll be trying it 4 player later tonight.  I'm expecting it to be even better with more players.

Just got a few games from GMT including SpaceCorp. Looking forward to playing that. 

Also recently played a dice drafting, tableau builder that is heavier than its theme (going on a penguin watching tour of Antarctica): A Pleasant Journey to Neko. Good game. 

I'm looking for a recommendation.  Want something fairly straightforward to learn rules wise with a mid level of strategy.  Not looking for anything takes hours to complete a single game or takes a PhD to enjoy.  The game need to play well with 2 players and scale to 4 players, with the ideal being scaling to 6 players. Games I currently enjoy:  San Juan, Azul, Catan, Splendor, Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Castle Ravenloft, Forbidden Desert, and Diplomacy.

I'm looking for a recommendation.  Want something fairly straightforward to learn rules wise with a mid level of strategy.  Not looking for anything takes hours to complete a single game or takes a PhD to enjoy.  The game need to play well with 2 players and scale to 4 players, with the ideal being scaling to 6 players. Games I currently enjoy:  San Juan, Azul, Catan, Splendor, Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Castle Ravenloft, Forbidden Desert, and Diplomacy.
I'd recommend Concordia. I've played and enjoy Azul, Catan, Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic and Carcassonne and I think Concordia is as good as any of them if not better.

It scales well with anything from 2-5 although I don't think it goes up to 6. It's a bit like Catan in that you're accumulating resources and using them to build cities, but I like the mechanics of Concordia better, and there's a lot less luck to it.

CamelUp

7 Wonders

Edit: missed the part about playing well with two players. Wouldn't recommend it for two. Great for 4-6.

I don't know of too many that scale well from 2 to 6.  I have both 7 Wonders (plays up to 7) and 7 Wonders Duel (2 player game).  Both are worth having. Same for Codenames and Codenames Duet.  King of Tokyo is a fun 6 player game, but kinda sucks with 2.  Castles of Burgundy is a great 2 player game with scales well to 4, but not 6.  It's a little more complicated than some the games you listed, but nothing crazy. 

Thanks for the recommendations.

A guy in my gaming group has 7 Wonders (and Dominion), but he hasn't brought either to a gaming session yet.  2019 goals I guess.

Another guy in my gaming group has Castles of Burgundy and I think he's played it with significant other.  I'll see what he thinks about playing it with group.

The video I watched on 7 Wonders Duel looks like it would be right up my alley, but maybe a bit more involved than my significant other would like.  I think I'll have her watch the video and see what she thinks.  As a side note we are getting ready to figure out the game Villainous that she received as a Christmas gift from a friend.  

King of Tokyo and Camel Up are on my research/watch list for now.

Amazon order placed on Codenames and Concordia.  

I’d give it a go as long as a super fast pace isn’t expected 

have only played a few times and it was years ago so I’d probably need a refresher
Agreed on nothing fast paced.

I try to get a game of Diplomacy played once a year, so I'm rusty as well.

This thread is an excellent reminder of how niche the heavier side of this hobby really is. I'm often surprised at how light the games that folks want to play and are playing in here. This is by no means an indictment of people's gaming (I live by the adage of, 'Play what you dig'), I'm just surprised that folks don't play heavier games here.

This thread is an excellent reminder of how niche the heavier side of this hobby really is. I'm often surprised at how light the games that folks want to play and are playing in here. This is by no means an indictment of people's gaming (I live by the adage of, 'Play what you dig'), I'm just surprised that folks don't play heavier games here.
i've read almost nothing of this thread. just heard there was a discussion of diplomacy happening...

It depends on what all you mean by the "heavier side" of the hobby. There's plenty of pretty deep games out there that get play. But the number of games hitting "mainstream" has grown a ton over the years. But most of the ones that really make it big are definitely on the "lighter side". If you go to BGG, most really popular games are going to have a "weight" rank at 2.5 or less, IMO.

What's an example of a heavier game?

Once upon a time, almost all of the games talked about here were "heavier" or niche.  They are just kickass games, so they become popular and now are much more common, but that does not change what they are.  It is not like we are talking about Candyland or Pie in the Face, here.

What's an example of a heavier game?
Food Chain Magnate is one of the weightiest games I've ever played.

@fasteddie_21 and I have had this discussion before. I have finally found another couple that will play some heavies and we are starting to work our way through the heavy catalog. I assume you mean things heavier than Agricola, and Terraforming Mars. Both are games that newcomers to the hobby might balk at, but they really aren't all that heavy.

It has to be. How many people are both interested and have time to invest in a game that requires an hour to read the rule book, a few days to understand the rule book, an hour to set up the game, a half day to play the game, and a half hour to properly tear down the game afterward? When I was in HS, I had two or three friends who could commit to that. Now that I'm an adult, I know of no one other than the greasy dudes who hang out in gaming shops all day long, thirstily eavesdropping on every conversation in hopes of a game starting.

hagmania said:
Food Chain Magnate is one of the weightiest games I've ever played.

@fasteddie_21 and I have had this discussion before. I have finally found another couple that will play some heavies and we are starting to work our way through the heavy catalog. I assume you mean things heavier than Agricola, and Terraforming Mars. Both are games that newcomers to the hobby might balk at, but they really aren't all that heavy.
I've heard of it and it looks good. 

Heaviest game I've played is probably Brass.  Great game.  Wife and I have been playing Twilight Struggle and Fields of Arle and those are pretty heavy.  Would definitely take more recommendations in that ballpark if you have any.

Users who are viewing this thread