What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

This thread is an excellent reminder of how niche the heavier side of this hobby really is. I'm often surprised at how light the games that folks want to play and are playing in here. This is by no means an indictment of people's gaming (I live by the adage of, 'Play what you dig'), I'm just surprised that folks don't play heavier games here.
What other games from GMT?  Have recently purchased a few from Compass as well.

What’s all this now?
I haven't played the real version n some time now.  Last time we did was with my niece and her husband.  He was stuck in a spot of continuing to try and build the longest road or something.  I don't even remember the rules to the full version.  Basically whatever he did would decide who was going to win the game.

I've heard of it and it looks good. 

Heaviest game I've played is probably Brass.  Great game.  Wife and I have been playing Twilight Struggle and Fields of Arle and those are pretty heavy.  Would definitely take more recommendations in that ballpark if you have any.
Have you played Power Grid or Terra Mystica? Those are two medium to medium-heavy games that rock my socks.

Feast of Odin is a good one too, although most of the time I'd rather just play Patchwork than bust out all 960 pieces for FoO.

I'm a therapist and play Patchwork a lot with kids in session.  Great game.
I think the story goes is that Uwe Rosenberg first created Feast of Odin and the piece of the game that got the most rave reviews got broken out and sold as Patchwork.

Played Ticket to Ride with our 11 and 9 year old last night. First time playing and they both loved it (and my 11 year old tied his mommy for 2nd most points) its definitely a great game for families with kids. And yes Daddy won the game with 123 points  :pickle:

Just recently started another game on playdiplomacy it works great

note:  it will allow you to enter illegal moves though so be careful 
Pretty much every site will allow illegal moves. It is not uncommon for people to intentionally enter bad moves and claim it was done accidentally to conceal nefarious intentions.

Anyone interested, my favorite games currently include:

• Terraforming Mars
  • Power Grid
  • Heaven and Ale
  • London
  • Agricola
  • Concordia
  • Star Realms - play a ton async and a little realtime online on my phone 

FYI... Target.com currently running a "buy 2, get 1 free" deal on their board games. Pretty good selection on-line and prices are reasonable. 

Note - easiest to check the 'all deals' button in the side menu - they apparently have some deal with a 3rd party company selling games on their site that aren't included in the deal. 

Anyone ever played Twilight Imperium?

Seriously heavy game that you pretty much have to clear out a day or two just to play once, but that’s what I’ll be doing this weekend. Learn to play Saturday night, wake up Sunday morning and play all day. None of us have played TI before, but my opponents will be my usual gaming buddy who owns 100+ games, a guy with a PhD in chemistry, and my eye doctor. I like medium/heavy games but fear I might getting in a little too deep here. :oldunsure:

Anyone ever played Twilight Imperium?

Seriously heavy game that you pretty much have to clear out a day or two just to play once, but that’s what I’ll be doing this weekend. Learn to play Saturday night, wake up Sunday morning and play all day. None of us have played TI before, but my opponents will be my usual gaming buddy who owns 100+ games, a guy with a PhD in chemistry, and my eye doctor. I like medium/heavy games but fear I might getting in a little too deep here. :oldunsure:
We played Saturday instead. Took about 10 hours from game start, including a couple half hour breaks for food and a beer run. Plus we watched a 30-minute learn to play video beforehand.

Will definitely play Twilight Imperium again. It’s a really good game. Normally if I do any activity for that long I need breaks to clear my head, but I spent pretty much the entire off time planning my next turns. Obviously it’s not for everyone but I’d definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to get heavy.

If you do play, you need a really big table. My buddy bought a 5-foot diameter round table and we used pretty much every square inch. We’d like to put together a 6-player game but the logistics are terrifying.

My son, his girlfriend, and I played a couple games of Biblios last night. It's (primarily) a card game that is quick to set up, fairly easy to learn, takes about a half hour to play, and is super-easy to score up at the end of the game. It's played in two phases. The first is kind of a divider/chooser method of dividing cards, and the second is an auction. There's a surprising amount of strategy for a rather simple game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34219/biblios

My group routinely plays Dominion, Power Grid, and Concordia.  One of us got GloomHaven and now we're all hooked.  Anyone else play this one yet?  

We had our "Bros Book Club" at my house this week.  We kept it simple with 7 Wonders with 7 players.  A lot of fun, that one. 

On another note, I have a sickness.  I cannot stop buying games.  I go into the LGS with cash and when I leave,t hey are very happy. :bag:

One of us got GloomHaven and now we're all hooked.  Anyone else play this one yet?  
I backed the kick starter but haven't had a chance to play it yet, it's been over a year I think. Still looking forward to it, I've heard good things. 

Gave Forbidden Sky a try, the next in the Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert series.

Pretty good.

Dynamic is you're on a floating sky platform and need to get off during an electrical storm. There's a rocket ship your team can use. As with the other games, as you explore you lay out tiles to construct your platform. You reveal the necessary components to operate your rocket.

The neat part is that as you explore and get your components, you actually assemble an electrical circuit. The plastic pieces have metallic stickers, and if you can complete the game before the electrical storm kills anyone on your team, the rocket lights up and plays "blast off" sound effects once you make all the electrical connections.

If you like the Forbidden Island/Desert games, you'll probably enjoy this one as well.
I’ve played both, liked them and that it was co-op but kids kinda lost interest before we finished

How many players did you have and what was the run time?  Got my pledge from Kickstarter but haven't gotten to try it yet.  Game night is on the 9th and we're going to try Dinosaur Island, and I'm hoping we'll play this after. 
I've played it with 3, 4, and 5 players and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Play time for the very first time is probably 90 minutes, closer to 60 with people who have played before.

Play with the mission cards, it's more fun with them than without.  Also, don't sleep on the errata about game ending conditions - the rules are out of date and the game ends when two of the three occur:  last railroad, town, or building is purchased.

Has anyone played the D&D themed board games like Castle Ravenloft, Legend of Drizzt, etc?  How do those go over in your groups?  Would love to give those a try as a gateway drug, if you will. :nerd:

Has anyone played the D&D themed board games like Castle Ravenloft, Legend of Drizzt, etc?  How do those go over in your groups?  Would love to give those a try as a gateway drug, if you will. :nerd:
Lords of Waterdeep is v good, played it a few times before even realizing the source material.

I think Legend of Drizzt is more like rpg combat.

Seconding the recommendation for Lords of Waterdeep.

There was a deck-building, dungeon-crawl game that I played though that was pretty crappy. I can't remember the name of it.

Seconding the recommendation for Lords of Waterdeep.

There was a deck-building, dungeon-crawl game that I played though that was pretty crappy. I can't remember the name of it.
Dragonfire?  That one looks cool but people aren't amused.  

I'm sure this was mentioned already.  My three sons (15, 12, 9) and i love playing Settlers of Cataan.  We just got the Pirates expansion pack and its awesome.  Really opened up the gameplay and strategy. 

Walking Boot said:
Gave UNLOCK! a try. It's an escape-room card-game, there are several versions with different themes. Pretty tricky, you'll really need to dig deep to get through the 2- and 3- rated difficulties. Puzzles are definitely tough and you'll have to get in the right mindset to beat them. I think they go for about $10-15 each on Amazon, not bad since you can only play it once. There are a couple of free demo versions on the Space Cowboys website you can print out on a color printer and try. Overall good experience, not sure about the value. Might be worth it if you've got an active community in trade/reselling.
Definitely just need to find a couple other families or people that play. Each buy one and pass them around. After you play a couple and catch the gist of what's going on, they become a little more intuitive. We've done a few of them at home as a family and a couple other guys at work do the same. We then share them around after playing them.

Anyone have 7 Wonders Duel?

Curious as to how it plays for a semi-gamer. My girlfriend likes to play games w/ me but doesn't like things that are overly complicated/long. I've read that it's a really great 2 player game though.

Mad Cow said:
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but Gloomhaven is a "D&D like" adventure game that is getting all the raves. Friend was just showing me it the other night after finishing some other board games. It looks pretty cool but it is like about $100 (actually just started being available for that rather than the 125-150 that it had been when it came out. Game literally weighs about 20 pounds! 

Curious as to how it plays for a semi-gamer. My girlfriend likes to play games w/ me but doesn't like things that are overly complicated/long. I've read that it's a really great 2 player game though.
I haven't played 7 wonders Duel, but my wife matches that description of gamer - I recently got Azul and she likes it a lot. 

Kingdomino works really well as a 2P game.  Wife and I just played a few games yesterday without the kids. 

It's a very competitive, hotly contested 2p game with a lot of intricacies best helped by having played the big base game before.

I'm sure it's easy enough to learn without any 7W experience; definite leg up on the scoring if you have played the base game.

Does she play/like 7 Wonders?

Duel is a great 2 player.  Maybe the best 2 player game out there, although I have to say that Codenames Duet is also exceptional (and I generally hate cooperative games as a matter of principle).

Does she play/like 7 Wonders?

Duel is a great 2 player.  Maybe the best 2 player game out there, although I have to say that Codenames Duet is also exceptional (and I generally hate cooperative games as a matter of principle).
We have never played 7 Wonders. We play Codenames a lot with friends, but don't have Duet. Splendor is another we've played and she likes.

Users who are viewing this thread