What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

More competitive folks might not like the co-operative format of Pandemic. It's the first family friendly game I thought of when I saw "Problem solving, convincing and discussion encouraged", though.

Azul is the game I most enjoy out of the ones I listed.  
Yeah, Pandemic was what I thought of too based on that criteria. The co-op format is not for everyone, but it makes a lot of sense for families, especially with younger kids. If the 8-year-old plays competitive games and gets clobbered at first she might lose interest. In Pandemic she could take an easier role like the medic and just have fun clearing the cubes off the board and not have to grasp the overall strategy right away.

Azul seems like a pretty safe purchase. Played it with a wide variety of people and no one's ever disliked it.

Ticket to Ride was too simple for my 10year old.  We borrowed it from someone to try it out.   
Its a simple game to learn and play when you're just focused on building your own routes.  It gets hyper-competitive when you get into blocking other players. Too cutthroat to play with my 8 year old daughter. 

You know that with less than 4 players that you can only use one path on any line that had 2 ways to go, right? 
Yes.  I think the game likely plays best with 4 players and two tracks on those paths.   I haven't done that in awhile.  

Even with 4 players it has some of the same problems that Catan has in that you can be dead to rights in the first 5 minutes, and you are just playing out the string for an hour (In catan looking at 2).

Yes.  I think the game likely plays best with 4 players and two tracks on those paths.   I haven't done that in awhile.  

Even with 4 players it has some of the same problems that Catan has in that you can be dead to rights in the first 5 minutes, and you are just playing out the string for an hour (In catan looking at 2).
This makes zero sense, imo. 

This makes zero sense, imo. 
To me it feels like the <4 player strat is to cut the middle of the board up north/south as they left the center north/south route grey. If you control this  you control alot of what can go down and if you can seal off a T intersection in the middle of that all hell breaks loose for people needing to connect east/west coast.

It doesn't make any sense why they left the center stripe grey.  jmho.

Certainly there is some flexibility here, but it just feels like a racer, with one dimension.

Looking for a family game for our family of four. (8yo daughter, 12yo son). Problem solving, convincing and discussion encouraged.

Tia
Since last Christmas, my family of 4 has purchased Ticket to Ride, Ticket to Ride Europe, Azul, and Splendor.  Splendor gets the most play-time for us with Azul 2nd.  I prefer both over the Ticket to Ride games because everything is out in the open, so if you pay attention, you have a good idea of what your opponents are trying to do.  Which leads to the dynamic of "Do I try to screw over someone or do I play my own game?"  Usually it's a little of both.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
Looking for a family game for our family of four. (8yo daughter, 12yo son). Problem solving, convincing and discussion encouraged.

Tia
Wingspan. Should be game of the year

Wingspan. Should be game of the year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiel_des_Jahres#2019_awards

Just One won the Spiel des Jahres for 2019.

Wingspan won Connoisseur-gamer Game of the Year.

I tend to buy a couple of board games to play when the family comes down to FL for the holidays. Picked up Azul for this year. Not sure of the other that I'll end up getting. 

Wingspan isn't cheap! $60 at the low end. 

We got Ra and I am not a huge fan of it, we probably have only played it 4-5 times and it may never leave the box again.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12/ra

We also got Takenoko recently and it is good because it is 50% skill, 50% luck. You can sometimes control your own destiny, but also there are games that someone just pulls the best combination of cards and wins easily. This makes it a good game if you have to play with someone that usually loses other board games, ie my father in law.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70919/takenoko

I tend to buy a couple of board games to play when the family comes down to FL for the holidays. Picked up Azul for this year. Not sure of the other that I'll end up getting. 

I can't even find it online anywhere that has stock.  It says it's game of the year, but seems like it's been out a little longer overseas and just came to states, not really clear.  

May try  LBGS and see what they say.  

El Floppo said:

Tia
Quacks of Quedlinburg has a great push-your-luck element wrapped up in a cute package. Highly recommend.

Wingspan 100% deserves Game of the Year. I've easily played over 20 times this year. Which given the expansive library I have access to, is a testament to how good it is. Quacks of Quedlinburg was released last year but I only played it for the first time a couple months ago. I think I've played it 10 times. Both are extremely well-designed. Wingspan is deeper than Quacks, but Quacks is very fun and brisk.

Wingspan is such an elegant game. Relatively simple gameplay, but with a fantastic amount of depth that will no doubt lead to countless replays.

Also was designed by a woman, something that should be encouraged in the space. 100% recommended purchase.
Yeah, this short review holds up. Pretty sure I played it at least 3 times a month since this first play in March.

Last post from me for now, but a quick-to-pick-up party game out now is FunEmployed. It plays out like Cards Against Humanity in a job interview.

Synopsis: One player is the interviewer for a position (card they've drawn out of the deck). Everyone else has cards in their hands that they use to justify their candidacy (this is like Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity). We play a more creative, improvisational variant that reduces your card choices.

For example, over the weekend my wife had to convince the interviewer that she was best suited for the position of "Sperm Donor" with cards that included "Utterly Alone." Her first statement was, "Well, I'm Utterly Alone *plays card*, so you know I'm saving all the good stuff for this job."

I had to look at when i purchased it.  I paid $65+shipping March 18 and it shipped Apr 16.

I bought it based on this review:  https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/wingspan-review-a-gorgeous-birding-board-game-takes-flight/

The game is gorgeous, not a plastic POS.  The game isn't for everyone, but my entire family loves it.  It took 1-2 games for my 11yo boy to understand what was going on.  Its straight forward now.

I bought the game for my wife as she loves birds.  When we play, we still are just in awe of the detail which went into it.  Definitely a beautiful production.

It only took three months and a self quarantine but we finally broke open Azul. We have only played it once and that was to learn the game. Will impart more strategy on subsequent rounds. Another game that is pretty easy to learn but takes a while to get the right strategy down. 

Wish I could find our Blokus game. That's always a go to but I think it may be in storage somewhere....

I remember the commercial for Milton Bradley's Stratego from when I was a kid. When we get ready to play, we sing:

STRAAAAAA-TEEEEEEEEE-GOOOOOOOO! 

and then add, "by Milton Bradley."
They had a Jeopardy question about Stratego last week and none of the contestants knew what it was (What Board game do you capture your opponent's flag?)

:rant:

anyone know where i can get wingspan without having to take out a loan in order to buy it?  Can only find it for like150 bucks.

My wife ordered Pandemic on Amazon. At least she thought she did. What arrived on our porch this week? Pandemic Legacy Season 1. :wall:  

My wife ordered Pandemic on Amazon. At least she thought she did. What arrived on our porch this week? Pandemic Legacy Season 1. :wall:  
We bought this game a year ago and we lost every time we played it. My 15 year old suggested we try it again this weekend and I just didn't think I wanted to go through that again. 

It only took three months and a self quarantine but we finally broke open Azul. We have only played it once and that was to learn the game. Will impart more strategy on subsequent rounds. Another game that is pretty easy to learn but takes a while to get the right strategy down. 

Wish I could find our Blokus game. That's always a go to but I think it may be in storage somewhere....
Yeah I got the kids this one for Christmas broke it out the other day and read the rules but that was as far as I got 

https://stonemaier-games.myshopify.com/products/wingspan

Just bought it for $60 + $10 shipping, right from the source. 
I got lucky  - ordered it from Barnes & Noble online - where it is sold out, but was available in our local store, which is closed, but can be ordered online for pick-up locally.

$60 - no shipping.

Ordered this morning, picked up this morning, though showing up at the empty and locked store was a little weird - looked like they had 2-3 employees still working in the store - brought out the game wearing gloves and a mask.

FYI Target is having a gigantic Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale plus free shipping on basically all of their board games.  We just purchased 7 Wonders, Terraforming Mars, and the Settlers of Catan Seafarers expansion and since they're all around the same price, it worked out to about 30% off all 3.

Amazon is having a similar B2G1 sale, but way fewer games and I read somewhere that they raised prices on a bunch of their popular games right before announcing the sale.  Boooo!

Sorry if :Honda:: any game recommendations for young children? 2 and 5 y.o. We've got some classics (Candy Land, Checkers, etc.) and a newer one called "The Floor is Lava".  Hard time finding ones that could entertain both - especially the 2 y.o.

Buddies an I have now done two sessions on Steam Table Top Simulator(having another one tonight). We played Ticket to Ride, Survive and Assassinorum: Execution Force. All went pretty smooth. It's pretty much like playing at home at your table. The program doesn't keep score or keep track of rules or anything it just provides you with all the virtual components to play. You move pieces, draw cards and roll dice yourself. The interface takes a little getting used to but the learning curve was fairly short. I'd recommend it for anyone looking to virtually game with family/friends. We paid $20 for it but looks like it's on sale now for $10 :shrug:  

Sorry if :Honda:: any game recommendations for young children? 2 and 5 y.o. We've got some classics (Candy Land, Checkers, etc.) and a newer one called "The Floor is Lava".  Hard time finding ones that could entertain both - especially the 2 y.o.
We had a charades card game that had pictures for the pre-literate kids along side the word. 2 might be a little young...but it was the first game our kids (4 year age difference) could really play together. Youngest was 3 or 4 when we atarted. Iirc.

@rail

I was going to post something similar or ask others what they have had fun with.  That 2 year old range is a little tougher, but some of things we have -

Maybe for Both since I see a 3+ range on them?:

Sequence for Kids

Story Cards  

Busytown Eye Found It

We also have a lot of packs of decks of card games like THIS  with matching, memory and Go Fish.

A few that my 5 year old is loving now:

Outfoxed  <<<---  by far her favorite

Hoot Owl Hoot

Zingo

Spot It

Users who are viewing this thread