What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

Dweebies is a game we played with the kids when they were little. 2 YO might not be able to play by herself but with a partner. She could find the matches, place the cards and collect rows when they match. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought JAWS. Haven’t played it yet but looking forward to it https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/272738/jaws
Bought it due to this recommendation from the website

Its a really fun game.  It has a coop vs bad guy perspective, but overall simple and easy to execute after 2 games.  Im looking forward to trying it 1v1 as it prolly makes the coop dynamic easier ;)

Anybody tried Tabletop simulator? One of my board game buddies who moved away suggested we try it while staying at home. Not sure what it offers over multiplayer game apps like Agricola, Catan, etc.
I’ve used it a little, not enough to really comment intelligently on it, but I think it’s basically a sandbox where you can play any tabletop game you want (assuming someone’s already put in the work to create the game in TTS). It can be fiddly with controls and has a learning curve but once you’re up to speed it’s a decent way to play remotely. If you plan to use it for particular game(s) I’d say you should make sure there are decent versions of the games created for TTS and maybe watch a YouTube tutorial or something ahead of time to get a feel for how it would work before purchasing. 

Edit: to be more specific, it literally simulates a physical tabletop. It’s not really like playing a multiplayer video game, it’s just a way for you and others to virtually roll dice, shuffle and deal cards, etc. it’s like you’re playing a physical board game around a table, except you’re all on your own computers and moving the game pieces with your mouse. 

I’ve used it a little, not enough to really comment intelligently on it, but I think it’s basically a sandbox where you can play any tabletop game you want (assuming someone’s already put in the work to create the game in TTS). It can be fiddly with controls and has a learning curve but once you’re up to speed it’s a decent way to play remotely. If you plan to use it for particular game(s) I’d say you should make sure there are decent versions of the games created for TTS and maybe watch a YouTube tutorial or something ahead of time to get a feel for how it would work before purchasing. 

Edit: to be more specific, it literally simulates a physical tabletop. It’s not really like playing a multiplayer video game, it’s just a way for you and others to virtually roll dice, shuffle and deal cards, etc. it’s like you’re playing a physical board game around a table, except you’re all on your own computers and moving the game pieces with your mouse. 
Thanks. 

Buddies an I have now done two sessions on Steam Table Top Simulator(having another one tonight). We played Ticket to Ride, Survive and Assassinorum: Execution Force. All went pretty smooth. It's pretty much like playing at home at your table. The program doesn't keep score or keep track of rules or anything it just provides you with all the virtual components to play. You move pieces, draw cards and roll dice yourself. The interface takes a little getting used to but the learning curve was fairly short. I'd recommend it for anyone looking to virtually game with family/friends. We paid $20 for it but looks like it's on sale now for $10 :shrug:  
That’s funny. I just asked about this. Might try it.

That’s funny. I just asked about this. Might try it.
:thumbup:  Done a few more sessions since that post and all is good. We have since played: Quest for Eldorado, Red Dragon Inn and we loaded our Gloomhaven progress game onto TTS and played one scenario(we had been playing in person for a while so we loaded everything and picked up where we left off). The more you play the easier the interface gets to deal with. Between mouse/touchpad and keyboard you learn what works best for you. I have a touchpad which makes it a little tougher but I'm getting used to it(may zip into work and grab a mouse at some point though).  I recommend TTS, has been a great way to see my buddies and have a few beers. 

Any board/party game recommendations via Zoom? My family and I did some would you rather questions, and we were trying to think of some fun games we could play while social distancing. 

My copy of Game of Thrones 2nd edition had been collecting dust for over 2 years. My sister in law comes over for dinner and my wife decides we should try to play it since it needs a minimum of 3 players. SIL isn't familiar with GoT and we were all experiencing food coma, so it was a bad scenario to begin with. After popping out all of the cardboard pieces, skimming through the 32 page rule book to set up the board, we quit before completing a full turn off the game. Maybe we'll try again in 2 years.

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
Any board/party game recommendations via Zoom? My family and I did some would you rather questions, and we were trying to think of some fun games we could play while social distancing. 
I haven't bought the game, but they play it on the local sports station and would be great for social distancing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cove/the-initials-game

for an example click on any of the podcasts (skip the introduction)

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-the-power-trips-initials-g-29941064/

My family has been playing Jackbox Games during the quarantine and my oldest daughter has played it with her friends virtually.  I'm not sure if she used Zoom or Facetime, but they were all playing it together in their houses.  We got two Jackbox Party Packs through our Fire stick and play via that and we've had some good laughs doing it.  

I know that Mad Cow mentioned Smash Up a couple years back but I have a chance to get it for cheap AND they're willing to throw in four expansions with it but wanted to ask Mad Cow and anyone else that has played Smash Up if they enjoyed it?

Anybody tried Tabletop simulator? One of my board game buddies who moved away suggested we try it while staying at home. Not sure what it offers over multiplayer game apps like Agricola, Catan, etc.
If you want to play Catan, I suggest buying the apps and using discord, Skype, zoom, or similar for talking.

The iPad app is pretty good, and there is a free to play on steam. Although I have not played that version.

If you want to play Catan, I suggest buying the apps and using discord, Skype, zoom, or similar for talking.

The iPad app is pretty good, and there is a free to play on steam. Although I have not played that version.
We’ve been playing catan universe. It’s pay now, but $4 per device isn’t so bad.

The interface is pretty good and easy to use. Definitely a thumb up. 

Played wingspan with the family a couple of times very good game. Seems like there are many ways to win and it’s pretty educational.  I would recommend it to anyone despite the high cost. 
Have had it for a couple weeks. Brought it out once but I could tell my wife and son weren't into it at the time so we stopped. I'll have to bring it back out when we can focus a little more...

Have had it for a couple weeks. Brought it out once but I could tell my wife and son weren't into it at the time so we stopped. I'll have to bring it back out when we can focus a little more...
How old is son? Mine is 13 and enjoys. I think an 11 year old may have a tough go at IR. I’ve played 3x and still don’t fully grasp the strategies you can use to win. 

I know that Mad Cow mentioned Smash Up a couple years back but I have a chance to get it for cheap AND they're willing to throw in four expansions with it but wanted to ask Mad Cow and anyone else that has played Smash Up if they enjoyed it?
A friend of mine has it, and we played it a few times and enjoyed it. We stopped playing it after discovering Dominion though -  crafting our own decks was just a lot more rewarding than mashing two pre-made ones together.

That said, there's nothing wrong with Smash Up. It's nothing amazing, but it's nice and light and fun and I'd play it again. If you're getting a bunch of expansions for free that will definitely increase the replay value.

Actually burned out of Catan years ago. Certainly a fun game, but strategy is ultimately pretty limited.

I prefer more medium-weight board games like Power Grid, Agricola, Caverna and Castles of Burgundy.

Two of those four have good apps, but Tabletop Simulator has many more options. It's a little fiddly for my tastes, but my friends wanted to try it, so played the last couple nights. Hopefully it gets easier, as a game which takes ~1 hour to play IRL took almost 4 hours tonight.

Picked up Wingspan and Viticulture over the past two weeks. Just started Pandemic Legacy S1 with friends the weeks before Covid-19 quarantine.

Actually burned out of Catan years ago. Certainly a fun game, but strategy is ultimately pretty limited.

I prefer more medium-weight board games like Power Grid, Agricola, Caverna and Castles of Burgundy.

Two of those four have good apps, but Tabletop Simulator has many more options. It's a little fiddly for my tastes, but my friends wanted to try it, so played the last couple nights. Hopefully it gets easier, as a game which takes ~1 hour to play IRL took almost 4 hours tonight.
Really enjoyed Castles, haven’t played in a few yrs

I got lucky  - ordered it from Barnes & Noble online - where it is sold out, but was available in our local store, which is closed, but can be ordered online for pick-up locally.

$60 - no shipping.

Ordered this morning, picked up this morning, though showing up at the empty and locked store was a little weird - looked like they had 2-3 employees still working in the store - brought out the game wearing gloves and a mask.
Wingspan has become our quarantine game of choice.

Wife and I play 2-3 games per night.  Its simple enough, and with enough strategy to make it worthwhile, and no two games are alike.  2 player games go by quickly enough.

So years ago I bought a box of DnD stuff at a garage sale. We bought the starter kit recently and tried to play but none of us have ever played before. I tried researching online to learn to be the DM but holy #### is it complex. Any suggestions?

Now we're talkin'!

Been using TTS a ton lately. It's our new go-to for my gaming group since we cant meet in person. 

Some mods can actually SPEED up a game. There's a good Caverna mod that is quicker on there then IRL. Most games take a bit longer, but not more then 25%.

Any game with a ton of bits and no scripting can take forever though

We stayed an extra week at my in-laws so my brother in law could quarantine for a week and we could still get a week of board games in.

We played a couple games of Sheriff of Nottingham. It is where you try to sneak and lie to get points. It may be fun with 5 people and if you are drinking, but it is not my style of game. We only had 3 people playing it, and you definitely need more.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157969/sheriff-nottingham

We played a few games of Code Names, my wife really likes this game, I think it is pretty good as well, but do not like it as much as her. It is nice because it is a quicker game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178900/codenames

We played King Domino every night. It is a faster game, similar to domino or carcassone, however much faster. My 5 year old daughter can even play without messing everyone else up. It is a great 4 player game, although one that lacks long term complexity.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/204583/kingdomino

Just struggling with Eldritch Horror.  We set it up and have watched several game play videos, but it just seems like a completely complicated game to play. We bought it because the reviews said how wonderful it was and I liked it because it can be played as a solo game. The reviewers that said their 7 year old loves it and plays all the time made my family feel like we were idiots. 

It is still set up on our gaming table and gathering dust right now. I hate to write off a $50 board game so quickly.  

So years ago I bought a box of DnD stuff at a garage sale. We bought the starter kit recently and tried to play but none of us have ever played before. I tried researching online to learn to be the DM but holy #### is it complex. Any suggestions?
My son got it for Xmas, we have only played a few times

What helped was to just google “short D&D Adventures for kids” or something like that, they have some pre-made adventures that are maybe 30-60 min.  Then you can kind of cross reference what to do with the starter kit instructions and just learn as you go

It does not really matter if you mess up the rules. We still mess up the rules fairly frequently and I played first edition, second edition, 3.5, and now 5th edition for the last year. There are way to many rules to get it correct 100% of the time. I am the backup DM, i only DM when the main DM reaches a stopping point and only for 1-2 sessions. That way he can play too.

We play online https://roll20.net/ via because we live in different time zones. But of course in person is better.

I suggest starting with a small combat oriented adventure that provides all of the maps. 

You probably need a players handbook(PHB) and you will need to read chapters 7 and 9 a few times. You will probably need at least 2 copies of the PHB for the group. Early on you are referencing it all the time, and even later on you will reference multiple times when you are playing. Ideally everyone will have their own copy.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

CR69 said:
If none of you have played then nobody will be a hardcore rules stickler. That makes it way easier. Just get some of the bare bones basics down and tell a good story.  Throw in some semi-challenging combat and decent loot. Add a twist to the story like an NPC that is not what they appear. Remember that you're the DM and you make the house rules for the game. Bend it however you need to so everyone has fun.

First full runthru of wingspan was good.  Feel like it's just light enough for everyone and the rules are digestible quickly even though the setup is a little intimidating.  

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Dan Lambskin said:
My son got it for Xmas, we have only played a few times

What helped was to just google “short D&D Adventures for kids” or something like that, they have some pre-made adventures that are maybe 30-60 min.  Then you can kind of cross reference what to do with the starter kit instructions and just learn as you go
Ahh, that's a good idea, thank you 😀

MTskibum said:
It does not really matter if you mess up the rules. We still mess up the rules fairly frequently and I played first edition, second edition, 3.5, and now 5th edition for the last year. There are way to many rules to get it correct 100% of the time. I am the backup DM, i only DM when the main DM reaches a stopping point and only for 1-2 sessions. That way he can play too.

We play online https://roll20.net/ via because we live in different time zones. But of course in person is better.

I suggest starting with a small combat oriented adventure that provides all of the maps. 

You probably need a players handbook(PHB) and you will need to read chapters 7 and 9 a few times. You will probably need at least 2 copies of the PHB for the group. Early on you are referencing it all the time, and even later on you will reference multiple times when you are playing. Ideally everyone will have their own copy.

Please feel free to ask any questions.
Good tip on the extra players handbook. I had read it a few times and even watched a video on being DM for the Mines of Phandelver campaign but damn if it didn't feel like I was just stopping constantly to read the rules while they just sat there lol. 

If none of you have played then nobody will be a hardcore rules stickler. That makes it way easier. Just get some of the bare bones basics down and tell a good story.  Throw in some semi-challenging combat and decent loot. Add a twist to the story like an NPC that is not what they appear. Remember that you're the DM and you make the house rules for the game. Bend it however you need to so everyone has fun.
Good advice, appreciate it! 👍

We played a few games of Code Names, my wife really likes this game, I think it is pretty good as well, but do not like it as much as her. It is nice because it is a quicker game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178900/codenames
Code Names is a great game that work best with 8 or 10 people. Anything smaller and it starts losing some of its magic. There is a really good two person variant where you team up against  NPC that works well as a duo alternative.

Ahh, that's a good idea, thank you 😀

Good tip on the extra players handbook. I had read it a few times and even watched a video on being DM for the Mines of Phandelver campaign but damn if it didn't feel like I was just stopping constantly to read the rules while they just sat there lol. 

Good advice, appreciate it! 👍
How is it going now? Still at it?

How is it going now? Still at it?
No but it's still on the list. We were trying to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible but now that it's starting to get cold and rainy we'll get back on it. The hard part is it's been so long I feel like I need to start my "how to be a DM when you don't really remember how to even play the game" research all over again lol. 

Code Names is a great game that work best with 8 or 10 people. Anything smaller and it starts losing some of its magic. There is a really good two person variant where you team up against  NPC that works well as a duo alternative.
What we did is got the 2 player alternative and the standard version with pictures instead of words.  Now we can basically play with or without pictures, 2 player or group.  Excellent value for the money!!

I'm looking at other meta posts on wingspan.  I see a few things.  Any comments from those that have played?

• There is a non zero chance to end up with a bunch of #### birds in the draw.  To mitigate this you hand the player base X cards and they remove Y cards to the bottom of deck shuffling X cards into the top layer.
  • Remove cards that turn eggs into food (ravens primarily), or make the food be taken from the draw rather than free choice.
  • Restrict in some way doubling of free food brown powers
  • Restrict movement of moving birds into grasslands from other areas
The ravens are overpowered, but can be beaten without modification. All the other stuff isn’t a big deal. Personally, we play the game unaltered, and I like the challenge of an occasional early raven.

I’ll reiterate: you should consider purchasing the European expansion, as it really improves the depth of strategy, especially by emphasizing tucking.

The ravens are overpowered, but can be beaten without modification. All the other stuff isn’t a big deal. Personally, we play the game unaltered, and I like the challenge of an occasional early raven.

I’ll reiterate: you should consider purchasing the European expansion, as it really improves the depth of strategy, especially by emphasizing tucking.
We've played a lot since then, like 40 games++

I think the issue with the ravens, especially with 2 people is played early in the grass you end up freezing out the feeder for the other player.  If you can couple it with maybe an extra drawing water birds early you can not only never need to go to the feeder you force the other player to draw food they don't need, and spend the game simply playing cheap birds and filling them with eggs while the other player plans how they won't have sex with you.

So we force instead of wild food from ravens, it must be from the feeder.  This is a pretty standard edit I've seen in other forums and really solves this issue completely.  I can see us leaning on this only for the ravens and not the other wild birds now that we play with the EE.  Even with OE nerfing the egg row further it still doesn't fix the frozen feeder issue of the ravens.

This leaves the killdeer as the only remaining super problematic card.  We always give the killdeer to any noobs for their first game to play as is.    We play it as an egg for a card, if you want two cards two eggs or one egg for one card.  That seems to manage it a little bit, especially early.  

We also draft our starting cards, rather than juice the deck. That helps a ton with balance and doesn't take long.

EE has been a good change, it for sure forces you to play at least 2 forest birds early, if not shooting for four by end of R2. The new EE birds are by and large thirsty AF.  In the original you could punt the forest pretty easily playing as few as one bird and maybe some 4th round bombs there for points and be fine.  That won't work now, and indirectly places a premium on higher pointed water/grass IMO.

We've played a lot since then, like 40 games++

I think the issue with the ravens, especially with 2 people is played early in the grass you end up freezing out the feeder for the other player.  If you can couple it with maybe an extra drawing water birds early you can not only never need to go to the feeder you force the other player to draw food they don't need, and spend the game simply playing cheap birds and filling them with eggs while the other player plans how they won't have sex with you.

So we force instead of wild food from ravens, it must be from the feeder.  This is a pretty standard edit I've seen in other forums and really solves this issue completely.  I can see us leaning on this only for the ravens and not the other wild birds now that we play with the EE.  Even with OE nerfing the egg row further it still doesn't fix the frozen feeder issue of the ravens.

This leaves the killdeer as the only remaining super problematic card.  We always give the killdeer to any noobs for their first game to play as is.    We play it as an egg for a card, if you want two cards two eggs or one egg for one card.  That seems to manage it a little bit, especially early.  

We also draft our starting cards, rather than juice the deck. That helps a ton with balance and doesn't take long.

EE has been a good change, it for sure forces you to play at least 2 forest birds early, if not shooting for four by end of R2. The new EE birds are by and large thirsty AF.  In the original you could punt the forest pretty easily playing as few as one bird and maybe some 4th round bombs there for points and be fine.  That won't work now, and indirectly places a premium on higher pointed water/grass IMO.
Yeah, feeding is an issue with ravens/crows in 2p. And the killdeer is problematic. My highest score games was 122 pt when I was dealt both.

There’s a ton of tucking cards in EE. If you get a couple early, you can plan you whole game around them, tuck 20+ cards and score 100+ points relatively easily.

And you have the power to lose to your wife, though admittedly I don’t take it easy on mine. I even made her cry once in scrabble...

How do you draft? Deal 5, take one, pass, repeat until all are distributed? We tried that tonight in 3p, worked OK. The draft definitely add a lot to other card games, including my favorite Agricola - it’s way more complex strategy than WS, but the basic game is pretty easy to learn if you’re looking for something more challenging.

Yeah, feeding is an issue with ravens/crows in 2p. And the killdeer is problematic. My highest score games was 122 pt when I was dealt both.

There’s a ton of tucking cards in EE. If you get a couple early, you can plan you whole game around them, tuck 20+ cards and score 100+ points relatively easily.

And you have the power to lose to your wife, though admittedly I don’t take it easy on mine. I even made her cry once in scrabble...

How do you draft? Deal 5, take one, pass, repeat until all are distributed? We tried that tonight in 3p, worked OK. The draft definitely add a lot to other card games, including my favorite Agricola - it’s way more complex strategy than WS, but the basic game is pretty easy to learn if you’re looking for something more challenging.
Yeah, take the 5 starting cards and just take one pass one till done.  Starting hand has so much variance so it really helps.  Do this every time.

We've tried the deal where each get 15 extra cards to sift down to 5 cards then shuffle back into the next 15 cards per player thing.  Not really worth the effort, but it could be for 3+ players.  The EE has more mechanics where the deck gets cleared off.  It's sort of a bummer with 2p when the up cards blow for a round.  

Yeah, take the 5 starting cards and just take one pass one till done.  Starting hand has so much variance so it really helps.  Do this every time.

We've tried the deal where each get 15 extra cards to sift down to 5 cards then shuffle back into the next 15 cards per player thing.  Not really worth the effort, but it could be for 3+ players.  The EE has more mechanics where the deck gets cleared off.  It's sort of a bummer with 2p when the up cards blow for a round.  
Oceania expansion out soon. Looks interesting, though at some point all the extras will become unwieldy.

Users who are viewing this thread