Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Best Board Games

On 12/31/2018 at 6:44 AM, [icon] said:

Played Telestrations at Christmas.... tons of fun.

New twist on Pictionary that brings in elements of the kids game “telephone”. Keeps everyone involved all game and usually results in a lot of laughs. Replay ability is high as well.. 

Is Telestrations fun with all adults and no kids?

On 11/2/2020 at 7:55 AM, Maddenf said:

Is Telestrations fun with all adults and no kids?

Absolutely! :thumbup:

Honestly a bit more fun. If you have one really young kid who either doesn't grasp the key terms, or can't draw decently... it can drag the game down. Don't need everyone to be van gogh, but have to at least be able to draw rudimentary sketches ala Pictionary. 

My 6yo niece begged to join us, and a lot of the terms she just didn't understand. So while the screwups can be funny/cute... after a while when every term implodes at the same person it kinda takes some of the fun out of the game. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, This_Guy said:

Azul is a great game that works well for 4 people but can be played by up to 4.

Mr Jack is a fun 2 player game but is 2 player only.

Thanks, I was wondering about Azul and have had it on my list for a while. 

53 minutes ago, Maddenf said:

What are some games that are fun for 2 players (adults) and also fun for more than 2?

I mean wingspan is great as a 2 player and stretches to 5.  I feel like at 4 it starts to play a little slow if players aren't experienced, but there are mechanisms you really only get with 4p that don't play out in 2p so it's nice.  

On 11/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, Maddenf said:

What are some games that are fun for 2 players (adults) and also fun for more than 2?

Splendor works just as well with 2 or 3 or 4.  Super easy to learn as well.  It's one of our most-played board games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, culdeus said:

been messing about with the colonist.io a little.  Catan is having a bit of a revival under it.  

Anyone want to setup a game time?

This is online multiplayer Catan? I’d be up for it. What are the time constraints?

Also, always looking for people to play the online Agricola iOS app. Castles of Burgundy is decent too.

9 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

This is online multiplayer Catan? I’d be up for it. What are the time constraints?

Also, always looking for people to play the online Agricola iOS app. Castles of Burgundy is decent too.

Yes it's online MP.  

I play on normal/normal settings with randoms and 4 player games take about 30 minutes.  Having the computer handle all the dice rolls, and card handouts speeds things up dramatically. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, madshot31 said:

Any suggestion for playing/learning wingspan online? I have to learn games in general before launching into my no patience wife/friends. Can't be tinkering with rules or I lose them. Thus, practice is needed.

I've never played Wingspan, but in general I like to look on YouTube for "Watch it played xxxxxxx".  The "Watch It Played" channel has a ton of videos and they're pretty good.

20 hours ago, madshot31 said:

Any suggestion for playing/learning wingspan online? I have to learn games in general before launching into my no patience wife/friends. Can't be tinkering with rules or I lose them. Thus, practice is needed.

These are some tutorial videos surrounding the basic rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueb7VOth0V4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgDgcLI2B0U&t=490s

This video deals with the updated game, which has new mechanics.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWx7bLkGlnY&t=135s

• Like 1

I mean if you've never played before on the base game, the first few times focus on getting a few cheap forest birds down to feed grassland birds to setup an engine that will lay a bunch of eggs.  It's a little boring at first, but doing this will at least introduce you to the core mechanics and you will have at a minimum a high floor for your score.  Trying some of the really situational dependent strategies with a high ceiling can be frustrating as you can get steamrolled.  

Edited by culdeus

• 2 weeks later...

Wow people take these game reviews seriously.  So I made a couple comments on youtube reviews of the wingspan expansion saying it reduced complexity and was generally not worth getting at this point and got removed and blocked on two of them.  I guess game developers pay for these reviews?  Seems scammy as hell.

57 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Wow people take these game reviews seriously.  So I made a couple comments on youtube reviews of the wingspan expansion saying it reduced complexity and was generally not worth getting at this point and got removed and blocked on two of them.  I guess game developers pay for these reviews?  Seems scammy as hell.

A lot of reviewers, especially the big timers don't like differing opinions because that would be work to have a conversation and take away from their perfect videos.

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

Which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

2 hours ago, Westerberg said:

Which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd rather not, I think one guy shadow banned me and another just deleted my comment or something.  It's not that big a deal.  I mean I get it to some extent, these guys get free games in exchange for "unbiased" reviews and want to keep that free game train running.  I just didn't know it was quite that serious a bargain they struck.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:42 PM, culdeus said:

:oldunsure:

I just got both the European and Oceana expansions for Christmas...

We still enjoy 3-4 games per week.  I am not expecting the expansions to add anything significant - though the Oceana set has the new nectar - but I doubt that changes much in terms of game play.

2 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

:oldunsure:

I just got both the European and Oceana expansions for Christmas...

We still enjoy 3-4 games per week.  I am not expecting the expansions to add anything significant - though the Oceana set has the new nectar - but I doubt that changes much in terms of game play.

My general thoughts are

• Nectar as a wild food is OP.   They should absolutely have re-worked that aspect.
  • Not only is it OP it takes complexity away from the game, you don't have to focus on the feeder as much.  
  • Nectar de-facto eliminates cherries from the game. There is zero reason whatsoever to pick a cherry from the feeder that I can think of.  For this reason my wife HATES nectar.  HATES it.  As she sort of likes the pretty cherry eating birds. (yeah, deal with it)
  • Caching spent nectar creates additional balance issues magnifying the above issue further.

So to rework things we now take the following house rules

• Nectar is NOT wild food.  It's just simply food.
  • We use the scoring pad from the base game only (Eliminating nectar caching)
  • We give 1 free nectar no matter what at game start (This is core OE rule as it is, not really a house rule)
  • We choose either of the two board types depending on mood.   

We have also removed about 40 total birds that are low impact to the game.  Mostly from the base game.  

• Thanks 1

So anyone have favorite additions from ETSY, or other artsy places, that really amp their gaming experiences? I'm a huge fan of using clay poker chips for currency in games because it gives a better feel. I would think 3D printed items or ceramics created for specific pieces in games would provide similar enhancements.

3 minutes ago, madshot31 said:

So anyone have favorite additions from ETSY, or other artsy places, that really amp their gaming experiences? I'm a huge fan of using clay poker chips for currency in games because it gives a better feel. I would think 3D printed items or ceramics created for specific pieces in games would provide similar enhancements.

Yeah, it just gets so expensive so fast to do this.  I mean most of the kits are north of $65 just to start and several if you get all the bits it's like $100.  Geekbits are more reasonable.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, culdeus said:

We have also removed about 40 total birds that are low impact to the game.  Mostly from the base game.  

You are much more of a gamer than I - do you play wingspan with 4-5 players?  I have to think that is a much different experience than a 2-player game.

Almost my entire experience is with two players - and I win the vast majority of time, but my wife is happy because she is more-or-less competing against herself and her scores.

And, we also sit down and play 2-3 games at a time.  So, I don't think we really notice if anything is really OP, because these things tend to even out over time.

I will take your House Nectar rules under consideration once we start to play.

But, what are the Birds - or types of Birds - that you remove?

19 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

You are much more of a gamer than I - do you play wingspan with 4-5 players?  I have to think that is a much different experience than a 2-player game.

Almost my entire experience is with two players - and I win the vast majority of time, but my wife is happy because she is more-or-less competing against herself and her scores.

And, we also sit down and play 2-3 games at a time.  So, I don't think we really notice if anything is really OP, because these things tend to even out over time.

I will take your House Nectar rules under consideration once we start to play.

But, what are the Birds - or types of Birds - that you remove?

Usually 3 players, and rarely 4.  Only one 5 player ever.  I've been meaning to get the application that does the bot player for you setup to always have 3 or 4 players.  It's a better game with 3+ IMO.  You will always get higher scores with 3+ than 2 just for the pink powers alone, as well as having the turnover more frequent.  

We mostly eliminated bird that were <6 non star nest types that give nest based egg brown powers or egg based white powers.  As the game with the expansions has evolved away from eggs those are less important to have in the deck as their situational play is diminished as the round goals are more diluted.  

We also have a shuffler and needed it down to basically 6 decks of bicycle thick cards which needs you to thin the list by about 40 +/-.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, culdeus said:

My general thoughts are

• Nectar as a wild food is OP.   They should absolutely have re-worked that aspect.
  • Not only is it OP it takes complexity away from the game, you don't have to focus on the feeder as much.  
  • Nectar de-facto eliminates cherries from the game. There is zero reason whatsoever to pick a cherry from the feeder that I can think of.  For this reason my wife HATES nectar.  HATES it.  As she sort of likes the pretty cherry eating birds. (yeah, deal with it)
  • Caching spent nectar creates additional balance issues magnifying the above issue further.

So to rework things we now take the following house rules

• Nectar is NOT wild food.  It's just simply food.
  • We use the scoring pad from the base game only (Eliminating nectar caching)
  • We give 1 free nectar no matter what at game start (This is core OE rule as it is, not really a house rule)
  • We choose either of the two board types depending on mood.   

I didn’t even realize Oceania was available - I assume you ordered from Stonemaier?

59 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I didn’t even realize Oceania was available - I assume you ordered from Stonemaier?

Yes.  There's a "discount subscription" that SM gives, that honestly pays for itself if you get two items from them a year.  Plus you get stuff sooner.  I maybe mentioned this but the first copy I got of WS was counterfeit.  Since then haven't used Amazon for stuff like that.  

It's likely been mentioned in this thread before, but my family played 221B Baker Street for the first time last night.  All five of us loved it.

Think Clue except rather than using process of elimination, you're going around the city to pick up legitimate clues to solve a case.  You can either play individually, as teams, or work together cooperatively.  The cooperative option was probably the most fun since you can talk openly and hear others pontificate about what the clues mean.     

10/10 on the Offdee scale.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

Although Wingspan isn’t especially malicious, zero-sum games with limited resources are always different than multiplayer versions of the same.

Yes, for a happy marriage I prefer playing most of our games with more than two.  Even something like Azul with low player interaction has occasional spots where the right play is to make a move that hoses your opponent.  Something like Agricola 2 player, either you play sub-optimally or hope your wife has thick skin.  :scared:

1 hour ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Yes, for a happy marriage I prefer playing most of our games with more than two.  Even something like Azul with low player interaction has occasional spots where the right play is to make a move that hoses your opponent.  Something like Agricola 2 player, either you play sub-optimally or hope your wife has thick skin.  :scared:

Agricola is nasty 2p, so much so I’ve actually lost a friend over it. Ridiculous, I know, but no way is that game marriage compatible.

6 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Agricola is nasty 2p, so much so I’ve actually lost a friend over it. Ridiculous, I know, but no way is that game marriage compatible.

That's sad, but I could definitely see it - you come up with a finely tuned, multi-turn plan and then your opponent takes the stone you were counting on, you could be set back multiple rounds and the game is pretty much over.  I love the game, but don't get to play it much as most people find it too stressful.

2 hours ago, Dr_Zaius said:

That's sad, but I could definitely see it - you come up with a finely tuned, multi-turn plan and then your opponent takes the stone you were counting on, you could be set back multiple rounds and the game is pretty much over.  I love the game, but don't get to play it much as most people find it too stressful.

Yeah, it’s my favorite. But nobody will play it anymore, so I’m limited to the app.

Any suggestions for games for 4 (44, 44, 14, 12) during Christmas lockdown?  Would prefer something on the simpler side that doesn't take over 10 minutes to explain.  My max board game attention span is set at about Ticket to Ride / Catan.  I like Machi Koro but unfortunately the rest of them don't like it as much.  I also like games that are fairly simple and you can run through a few pretty quickly.  Otrio, Connect 4, Hearts, Spades, Chess (ok, maybe not that simple).  What do you guys like playing with your families?

On 12/15/2020 at 6:31 AM, Dr_Zaius said:

:lol: I feel ya. My wife is great with games but has been known to flip the board. Both of her parents are highly competitive, impatient, and sore losers. So it just goes straight down the blood lines and more analytical games become an issue. There is a reason why co-op games are the best option usually.

2 hours ago, hagmania said:

Anyone have recommendations for games made in 2020? We're usually about a year behind anyway but I have played *no* new games this year and that makes me sad.

I just played the crew. It’s a cooperative card game, that’s quick to learn and play. Anyone experienced with trick taking games like bridge, hearts, spades, pinochle, etc. will like it.

1 hour ago, Vegas Trip said:

Any suggestions for games for 4 (44, 44, 14, 12) during Christmas lockdown?  Would prefer something on the simpler side that doesn't take over 10 minutes to explain.  My max board game attention span is set at about Ticket to Ride / Catan.  I like Machi Koro but unfortunately the rest of them don't like it as much.  I also like games that are fairly simple and you can run through a few pretty quickly.  Otrio, Connect 4, Hearts, Spades, Chess (ok, maybe not that simple).  What do you guys like playing with your families?

Castles of burgundy, Alhambra and 7 Wonders are probably OK for those requirements. And Wingspan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vegas Trip said:

King Domino and Carcassonne are good fast games that are easy to learn. King Domino may take 15-20 minutes to play, and Carcassonne may take 30.

Takenoko is also a good game, it is simple, takes about 45 minutes to an hour, and the best part with a 12 and 14 year old is that randomness can beat strategy 50% of the time. So while strategy is rewarded some times, getting the good draw of cards is rewarded half the time as well.  This ensures that everyone can get a chance at winning.

58 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Castles of burgundy, Alhambra and 7 Wonders are probably OK for those requirements. And Wingspan.

I was going to suggest Wingspan - but you have to get past the first game or 2.  Initially I think it will feel a lot more complicated than it really is.  Once you see the mechanics in action - very easy game to play.

42 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

King Domino and Carcassonne are good fast games that are easy to learn. King Domino may take 15-20 minutes to play, and Carcassonne may take 30.

Takenoko is also a good game, it is simple, takes about 45 minutes to an hour, and the best part with a 12 and 14 year old is that randomness can beat strategy 50% of the time. So while strategy is rewarded some times, getting the good draw of cards is rewarded half the time as well.  This ensures that everyone can get a chance at winning.

I like king domino and carcassonne, but feel like they are better 2-p games. Played Takenoko once, good suggestion and cute theme for kids.

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I was going to suggest Wingspan - but you have to get past the first game or 2.  Initially I think it will feel a lot more complicated than it really is.  Once you see the mechanics in action - very easy game to play.

Yeah, figuring out when to reset the birdfeeder is a little counterintuitive at times, but ultimately the rules are simple.