What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

Diplomacy

I think this is the only link left to the numerous diplomacy games played on this board a few years ago:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...mp;hl=diplomacy
I do hope that people are still bowing down to my successful Juggernaut.
The first successful Juggernaut in FBG Dip was executed to perfection by me (Russia) and Bax (Turkey).The original plan was for me and Brant (AH) to roll Bax, but he got wind and hunkered down. Pressure came from the west in the form of a Germano-Italian alliance (Orange Crush - a tournament caliber Dip player - as Germany and none other than Scoobygang as Italy). So a Russia/AH/Turkey counter-alliance was summarily formed, the main feature of which was Turkey repeatedly stabbing AH in the back until he was dead. Then Turkey became Russia's best bud, and through various devious machinations we disguised the impending Juggernaut. Italy was bent to the rack after overcommitting to the AH corpse, and then England was dispatched through a brilliantly machiavellian stab on my part. Germany was delicately dislodged from a Frankish alliance, and subsequently chewed up. Leaving France all alone to face the Russo-Turkish hordes. Ah, whimsical, doomed France...

Brant called Bax a "pathological liar" at least three times during that game.

Edit - who was England in that game? Username is at the tip of my tongue.

Edit 2 - SofaKings! England was SofaKings.
Ok, yes, I played at an international Diplomacy tournament once. But, it was in my home town, so it's not like I had to go out of my way to participate. And I got my butt royally kicked.I remember that particular game. I was so paranoid about playing online where I couldn't read people that I think I made an alliance with every single player. And then I had a scheduling conflict and had to quit.

:confused:

Sounds like a great game.

Axis and Allies: While a fun game, I have a problem with any war game that takes longer to set up than the actual war it was based on.
I don't think I ever saw the Axis win this game if the Allies weren't morons.
What's the expertise of the player(s) you've seen?I've played this game on/off for the past 20 years. Allies definitely has more going for them, but...Germany and Japan, if played well, can definitely win the game 50% of the time, in my experience.

Axis and Allies: While a fun game, I have a problem with any war game that takes longer to set up than the actual war it was based on.
What's the expertise of the player(s) you've seen?I've played this game on/off for the past 20 years. Allies definitely has more going for them, but...Germany and Japan, if played well, can definitely win the game 50% of the time, in my experience.
Between good players I'd say the Axis has about a 20% chance to win. It basically hinges on the Axis getting really good die rolls the first two turns and then playing perfectly after that. Anything else and a decent Allied team will wipe the floor with them. Has anybody tried the new Hasbro version? They revamped the game, but it's still slanted towards the Allies, it just takes longer.

Well, now we're into my industry. I basically run a board game retail outlet here, so we're right in my wheelhouse now.

Settlers of Catan continues to be our number one selling game, and for good reason. Still a very approachable, easy to learn gateway game. Same with Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, also top sellers. But those games all give up elegance of design for simplicity and approachability. Not that that's a bad thing, but somebody looking for more depth may come up short.

The deeper Eurogames offer a little more for the thinking gamer. Puerto Rico (#1 on the geek still) has already been mentioned. The Alea Big Box series on the whole is generally a good place to go for this stuff. Both of the newest releases, Notre Dame and In The Year Of The Dragon, are reminiscent of the early Alea success. But these games sort of start to blur together for me after a while due to their abstract nature. There's no doubting the elegance of the designs, but at the end of the day I like me a good theme. Nowadays, when I want a Euro fix, I find myself turning to Power Grid as the most engaging of that genre. That really is a solidly-designed game top to bottom.

I find the GMT games hard to engage in due to the relatively simple production quality. Small cardboard counters only do so much. But Twilight Struggle, mentioned a few times already here, is a very notable exception. This game does a great job at capturing and re-creating a Cold War theme. It's very engaging and very clever.

But my current favourites are the stuff coming out of Fantasy Flight Games. These guys are specializing in exactly what I'm looking for: epic, engaging themes with high production values and quality presentation combined with a good European-inspired rule design. Top of the list there for me would be War Of The Ring, an absolutely brilliantly designed re-creation of the Lord Of The Rings epic. Those who mentioned Scotland Yard ought to give a try to Fury Of Dracula, which basically turns Mr. X into a vampire. Not only do you have to just find him, now you also have to fight him. Their adaptations of World of Warcraft and Starcraft also show very clever design concepts. Their A Game Of Thrones adaptation is also an extremely well-balanced design with an engaging theme. Arkham Horror is an excellent co-operative game for a change of pace which excellently captures the Lovecraft mythos. Warrior Knights, Dust, Tide of Iron, all decent designs. And, of course, the one that started it all for them, Twilight Imperium, continues to be an absolutely epic design and concept. Played a game of it last night, completely engaging. We all had a great time.

Okay, enough pimping of Fantasy Flight. I should at least give a nod to Days of Wonder (of Ticket To Ride fame) who also has some good stuff out there on the market. A recent favourite is Colosseum, a neat little package revolving around putting on gladiator shows in ancient Rome. Reminiscent of Fabrik der Traum, but also borrowing a lot of neat concepts from some modern games. Shout outs also to newer games Cuba and Pillars of the Earth for some neat designs. I'm not sold on the hype around Race For The Galaxy yet, it's just San Juan re-packaged as far as I can tell.

Okay, I could go on and on. But for those of you who think Monopoly and Scrabble are the pinnacle of the board game industry... dudes, there's a whole world of fun waiting there for you to discover. Seriously. Check out what the Germans have been up to. It will blow your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I could go on and on. But for those of you who think Monopoly and Scrabble are the pinnacle of the board game industry... dudes, there's a whole world of fun waiting there for you to discover. Seriously. Check out what the Germans have been up to. It will blow your mind.
Yah the most popular games involve a lot less thinking.

For me I designed several board games of my own when I was a kid, so, I prefer my inventions to anything else people got! :P One of them was a pretty cool sports General Manager simulator. I was addicted to my own game for years.

Settlers of Catanused to hang out at a store where they sold board games and this was the most played and most popularalso the best, and i don't think its close
:wub: This is my favorite
Whats the deal here? See a lot of answers for this, but I've never heard of it.
It's the poster child of a (relatively) new approach to board gaming, commonly called "Eurogaming". Eurogames generally revolve around abstract resource management and an attempt to reduce random elements from the board and introduce more strategy.Settlers of Catan by Klaus Teuber was one of the first. It one the German Game of the Year (SDJ) award in 1994 (I believe) and continues to go strong. It features a modular game board design, which is already a new approach to gaming for most people. The main idea is all the players are on an island and use their limited resource availability to gather the goods necessary to expand their settlements via roadbuilding and city construction until you have acquired 10 "victory points" worth of various construction options (settlements, roads, a prize for the "longest road" or "largest army", or other developments). Resources are gathered via an interesting bell-curve production array based around rolling two dice, which is also randomly distributed when the game is set up, guaranteeing a new set of choices every game.

Settlers of Catan

used to hang out at a store where they sold board games and this was the most played and most popular

also the best, and i don't think its close
:wub: This is my favorite
Whats the deal here? See a lot of answers for this, but I've never heard of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_of_Catan
Wow, this would have been way easier than doing all that typing. :lmao:

Risk...nough said.
LOTR Risk > Risk
War of the Ring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOTR Risk >>> Risk
2 things. One: :thumbup: . Two: PLEASE edit your post to get rid of most of those >s. I hate that stupid scroll bar that ####s up the screen.Edit: heh, never mind, you did already. Double :thumbup:

Between good players I'd say the Axis has about a 20% chance to win. It basically hinges on the Axis getting really good die rolls the first two turns and then playing perfectly after that. Anything else and a decent Allied team will wipe the floor with them. Has anybody tried the new Hasbro version? They revamped the game, but it's still slanted towards the Allies, it just takes longer.
You mean the theater specific versions? I played the Europe one once as the Germans and it basically came down to St. Petersburg falling. I couldn't crack it and the game was basically over after that battle.

Well, now we're into my industry. I basically run a board game retail outlet here, so we're right in my wheelhouse now.

Settlers of Catan continues to be our number one selling game, and for good reason. Still a very approachable, easy to learn gateway game. Same with Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, also top sellers. But those games all give up elegance of design for simplicity and approachability. Not that that's a bad thing, but somebody looking for more depth may come up short.

The deeper Eurogames offer a little more for the thinking gamer. Puerto Rico (#1 on the geek still) has already been mentioned. The Alea Big Box series on the whole is generally a good place to go for this stuff. Both of the newest releases, Notre Dame and In The Year Of The Dragon, are reminiscent of the early Alea success. But these games sort of start to blur together for me after a while due to their abstract nature. There's no doubting the elegance of the designs, but at the end of the day I like me a good theme. Nowadays, when I want a Euro fix, I find myself turning to Power Grid as the most engaging of that genre. That really is a solidly-designed game top to bottom.

I find the GMT games hard to engage in due to the relatively simple production quality. Small cardboard counters only do so much. But Twilight Struggle, mentioned a few times already here, is a very notable exception. This game does a great job at capturing and re-creating a Cold War theme. It's very engaging and very clever.

But my current favourites are the stuff coming out of Fantasy Flight Games. These guys are specializing in exactly what I'm looking for: epic, engaging themes with high production values and quality presentation combined with a good European-inspired rule design. Top of the list there for me would be War Of The Ring, an absolutely brilliantly designed re-creation of the Lord Of The Rings epic. Those who mentioned Scotland Yard ought to give a try to Fury Of Dracula, which basically turns Mr. X into a vampire. Not only do you have to just find him, now you also have to fight him. Their adaptations of World of Warcraft and Starcraft also show very clever design concepts. Their A Game Of Thrones adaptation is also an extremely well-balanced design with an engaging theme. Arkham Horror is an excellent co-operative game for a change of pace which excellently captures the Lovecraft mythos. Warrior Knights, Dust, Tide of Iron, all decent designs. And, of course, the one that started it all for them, Twilight Imperium, continues to be an absolutely epic design and concept. Played a game of it last night, completely engaging. We all had a great time.

Okay, enough pimping of Fantasy Flight. I should at least give a nod to Days of Wonder (of Ticket To Ride fame) who also has some good stuff out there on the market. A recent favourite is Colosseum, a neat little package revolving around putting on gladiator shows in ancient Rome. Reminiscent of Fabrik der Traum, but also borrowing a lot of neat concepts from some modern games. Shout outs also to newer games Cuba and Pillars of the Earth for some neat designs. I'm not sold on the hype around Race For The Galaxy yet, it's just San Juan re-packaged as far as I can tell.

Game seems WAY too involved for me. Makes War of the Ring look like checkers and War of the Ring is on the extreme edge of my game sensibilities. Saw it being played in a shop awhile ago and thought it looked interesting but there's a LOT of #### going on.

You mean the theater specific versions? I played the Europe one once as the Germans and it basically came down to St. Petersburg falling. I couldn't crack it and the game was basically over after that battle.
This has always been my beef with the A&A stuff. It seems like it all comes down to which way one battle falls. I haven't tried the theatre versions, but the decisive battle in the main version always happened in the first two turns, so the rest of the game was just playing out an inevitable ending. That's not fun.

Game seems WAY too involved for me. Makes War of the Ring look like checkers and War of the Ring is on the extreme edge of my game sensibilities. Saw it being played in a shop awhile ago and thought it looked interesting but there's a LOT of #### going on.
There IS a lot of #### going on. That's why I like it. There's a political agenda, fleet building, invasion combat, random action cards, a Puerto Rico-inspired role selection mechanism, multiple tiers of objectives, limited action points, fleet size restrictions, trading, bribes... #### man, it's got so much packed into it. And while you say this is why you dislike it, those are the exact reasons why I love it. So much bang for your buck. IF you're willing to sit down and play it for 6 hours. Which I am. But I can understand how others wouldn't be willing to make the same commitment.

This has always been my beef with the A&A stuff. It seems like it all comes down to which way one battle falls. I haven't tried the theatre versions, but the decisive battle in the main version always happened in the first two turns, so the rest of the game was just playing out an inevitable ending. That's not fun.
I thought it was sort of interesting given than, in my understanding, the European theater was largely decided by Germany's inability to take St. Petersburg, which was the beginning of the end for the Nazis.

It seems Falconeyed is with me on my praise of War of the Ring. Man, I can't say enough good things about that game. What a beautifully balanced game.

I've heard people talk about the game being weighted towards the Free Peoples, but I haven't encountered that problem yet. I've won some pretty good games as the Shadow. But then I haven't played against a lot of experienced opponents, so maybe those problems do creep up with two veteran players.

I thought it was sort of interesting given than, in my understanding, the European theater was largely decided by Germany's inability to take St. Petersburg, which was the beginning of the end for the Nazis.
Then good for them for making sure the game plays that way. But when does this battle take place? Again, my biggest beef is that if one battle decides the game, that battle shouldn't occur on the second turn of the game, like the German invasion of Karelia or the Japanese assault on Pearl Harbour in the main game.. That makes the rest of the game a waste of time.

There IS a lot of #### going on. That's why I like it. There's a political agenda, fleet building, invasion combat, random action cards, a Puerto Rico-inspired role selection mechanism, multiple tiers of objectives, limited action points, fleet size restrictions, trading, bribes... #### man, it's got so much packed into it. And while you say this is why you dislike it, those are the exact reasons why I love it. So much bang for your buck. IF you're willing to sit down and play it for 6 hours. Which I am. But I can understand how others wouldn't be willing to make the same commitment.
I've never played it, so perhaps I shouldn't rush to judgment. It was just my initial reaction based on comparing TI3 to games I know I like. When I played AA with my friends and roommates, we would play for an hour or two and then walk away. Board would be set up on the kitchen or dining room table for a month at least. Reminded me of Kramer and Newman playing Risk.

Then good for them for making sure the game plays that way. But when does this battle take place? Again, my biggest beef is that if one battle decides the game, that battle shouldn't occur on the second turn of the game, like the German invasion of Karelia or the Japanese assault on Pearl Harbour in the main game.. That makes the rest of the game a waste of time.
Good point.

Good point.
Apparently there's a version (I think it's called "World At War") that starts the game in 1939 rather than 1942, and it vastly improves the game. Now the big battles become the climaxes that are built towards and end the game, rather than the start of the game.

No, the theater specific versions suck. They redid the whole game, but not that much. Russia is bigger and harder to capture overall, but the Axis gets more money and units to start with, so it somewhat compensates. There are also "Random Event Cards" you can use for special powers for each country. Like the UK starts off with a Factory in India or Australia, or the Germans knock off a portion of the UKs money for every sub they build. Really changes the game. But, unfortunately, the cards all favor the Allies more than the Axis, and since the Allies almost always win anyway, you're better off just not using them.

GMT has some of the best games going right now, I've already mentioned them in this thread. They're a little more complicated than the Euro games you're pimping, but they're great games if take the time to understand them. And yes, I've played the games you've mentioned, they're fine and have their place too.

I think you may be thinking of Stalingrad. St. Petersburg is Leningrad, which was pretty much a siege situation during WWII, but not a turning point in the war. Although your statement is pretty general, you could say that the Germans inability to take Moscow was even more of a turning point. If you're thinking of it in terms of Axis and Allies, the importance of Karelia is vastlly overstated, it's abstracted for game purposes.

Risk...nough said.
LOTR Risk > Risk
War Of The Ring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> well, everything else.
War of the Ring is a beautiful game, I'll give it that. But it's negatives are that it takes quite a while to set up, and it's not always satisfying. There's kind of a blitz you can do with the ringbearers that makes the game come down to a few rolls and not that fun. Not the best game ever, but a good one.

Risk...nough said.
LOTR Risk > Risk
War Of The Ring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> well, everything else.
War of the Ring is a beautiful game, I'll give it that. But it's negatives are that it takes quite a while to set up, and it's not always satisfying. There's kind of a blitz you can do with the ringbearers that makes the game come down to a few rolls and not that fun. Not the best game ever, but a good one.
But there's a counter for the Fellowship blitz. If the Free People blitz, the Shadow just dedicates more eyes to the hunt pool and corrupts Frodo out the wazoo. There's always a counter strategy to any strategy. That's the hallmark of a good game.

RISK (play at Conquer Club)

Third Reich

PanzerBlitz

Squad Leader

I have all of the above still

Conquistador It has been at least 25 years since I played this or seen a copy of it, but really liked this one.
If it's the Squad Leader I'm thinking of, probably the most complicated board game ever.
Followed by the second most complex game ever, Third Reich.
:unsure: This ain't checkers
For those who hyped Conquer Club for the Risk players, have you seen Landgrab? Much better.
I disagree, but you knew that already.

I've got a buddy who's trying to get me to play a game of ASL with him. I'm hesitant, because I've seen the rules (they're pretty intimidating) and also because WWII ain't really my thing. And also, I prefer large scale. I'd rather play on a global map than a battlefield map.

On a side note, how many of you guys have (and maintain) logins at boardgamegeek? I'd be curious to read some of your ratings and reviews of some games. I'm there as 'Smoo' (surprisingly).

I've got a buddy who's trying to get me to play a game of ASL with him. I'm hesitant, because I've seen the rules (they're pretty intimidating) and also because WWII ain't really my thing. And also, I prefer large scale. I'd rather play on a global map than a battlefield map.
People that like it swear by it. I quit trying years ago when the rules got to be several hundred pages that you had to carry around in a big binder. But the people that know how to play it can tell you what happens when a French Partisan unit gets caught coming out of a whorehouse by German military police who are tired and low on ammo, and then the partisans jump in a canal to escape and some Vichy French collaborators that have had too much to drink stumble onto the scene. Meanwhile, some UK Special forces guys are coming up the canal...It's not really like that, it's even more complicated.

What the heck are most of you talking about. Quit coming up with clever names, and just admit you are playing D&D! :goodposting:

My favs:

Risk

Sequence

Feudal

Facts in Five

And the worst game of all, which a bunch of my friends love for some reason, is Cranium. Just plain dumb.

What the heck are most of you talking about. Quit coming up with clever names, and just admit you are playing D&D! :goodposting: My favs:Risk
Give me the reasons why this is your favourite. There are so many board games better than this. Give me some info and I'll find you a game you'll like even more.

Do the rule changes they made to Axis and Allies after the 2nd edition rules make the game any more enjoyable? When I played it for the most part, it was before even the 2nd ed rules came out.

I think you may be thinking of Stalingrad. St. Petersburg is Leningrad, which was pretty much a siege situation during WWII, but not a turning point in the war. Although your statement is pretty general, you could say that the Germans inability to take Moscow was even more of a turning point. If you're thinking of it in terms of Axis and Allies, the importance of Karelia is vastlly overstated, it's abstracted for game purposes.
:goodposting: I think you're right.

What the heck are most of you talking about. Quit coming up with clever names, and just admit you are playing D&D! :confused: My favs:Risk
Give me the reasons why this is your favourite. There are so many board games better than this. Give me some info and I'll find you a game you'll like even more.
Thanks. I'm sure there are plenty of games better. I've just only ever purchased what's on the shelf at ToysRUs. I've looked up some of the games mentioned, and will probably order a few. I'm looking towards the 1-3 hour type games, not the 1-3 day types.

My personal favorite is JUNTA: Revolution in a South American Banana Republic. I played this at least twice a month in high school (about every other weekend) and it was a hoot. We would elect the least-liked player President for Life, and then kill him. I always bargained to be the secret police, because I got the extra assasination attempt and could end up with all the money the PFL hadn't passed out because nobody could agree on how the Budget the Peso the USA had given us.

I'm intrigued by a lot of these new games. Are any of them any good for two players? Especially a military strategy type?

Users who are viewing this thread