What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

Statis pro baseball, football, basketball. All are highly addictive. baseball is my fav though.

Also Avalon hill made a superb boxing game called Title Bout.

I actually busted out all these a few months ago and played some baseball and boxing. Both are great solitare games while football and basketball make for awesome head to head play.

1 - Ticket to Ride2 - Carcassonne3 - Yspahan4 - Settlers of Catan5 - Thebes
Falconeyed:Great big thanks to you and everyone else that recommended these games. :mellow: My wife and I have one child - daughter, age 7. Bought three of these games:1. Carcossonne - played it a few times. So far so good.2. Settlers of Catan - haven't played it yet.3. Ticket to Ride - wow. All three of us love this game. We play it several times a week. Absolutely fantastic.

Statis pro baseball, football, basketball. All are highly addictive. baseball is my fav though.Also Avalon hill made a superb boxing game called Title Bout. I actually busted out all these a few months ago and played some baseball and boxing. Both are great solitare games while football and basketball make for awesome head to head play.
:) I loved Statis Pro Baseball, Bowl Bound and Title Bout. I have the new CD version of Title Bout for my computer.

Went to a 'board game' type toy store and picked up a game called Gobblet. At first it seems simple enough, but you soon find out it is complex with a touch of maddening frustration. Has won multiple international awards for game play, design, etc...

Imagine crossing chess, go and connect four.

Last edited by a moderator:
Axis and Allies: While a fun game, I have a problem with any war game that takes longer to set up than the actual war it was based on.
I don't think I ever saw the Axis win this game if the Allies weren't morons.
You need to have your own modifications of the rules, eg., Russia can't attack on their first move.
Russia attacking on the first move increases the Axis chances of winning.
Speaking of this, anyone play the new version of A&A, Spring 1942? They've rebalanced the game a bunch. I like it a lot. I've only played it twice, but the Axis won both times without any rule modification. Definitely a new feel to the game.

Axis and Allies: While a fun game, I have a problem with any war game that takes longer to set up than the actual war it was based on.
I don't think I ever saw the Axis win this game if the Allies weren't morons.
You need to have your own modifications of the rules, eg., Russia can't attack on their first move.
Russia attacking on the first move increases the Axis chances of winning.
Speaking of this, anyone play the new version of A&A, Spring 1942? They've rebalanced the game a bunch. I like it a lot. I've only played it twice, but the Axis won both times without any rule modification. Definitely a new feel to the game.
Is this the one where the split the game by theaters? Or is it something else?

No, it is still the entire world. They've made a few revisions to the basic rules over the years. They've had the second edition rules, the 25th anniversary edition, and maybe one more. This is the most recent that combines some of them all.

No, it is still the entire world. They've made a few revisions to the basic rules over the years. They've had the second edition rules, the 25th anniversary edition, and maybe one more. This is the most recent that combines some of them all.
I've found that the Axis still loses most of the time, just not as fast. It's still fun though.Unless they've changed the rules in the last couple of years, haven't played it in a while.

TexanFan02 said:
Bull Dozier said:
SierraKiloBravo said:
I've found that the Axis still loses most of the time, just not as fast. It's still fun though.Unless they've changed the rules in the last couple of years, haven't played it in a while.
I believe the Spring 1942 edition is new this year. I could be wrong though.

TexanFan02 said:
Bull Dozier said:
SierraKiloBravo said:
Is the key still to cut off the initial supplies from the US to the UK?

TexanFan02 said:
Bull Dozier said:
SierraKiloBravo said:
Is the key still to cut off the initial supplies from the US to the UK?
I'm definitely not an expert. I've only played the new one a couple of times, and the old one a dozen or so. I've always felt there were a few different routes to Axis victory, but that how Japan was played was the most important key. I don't think I've ever seen the Axis win in spite of Japan, but I've seen the Axis win in spite of Germany.

Good thread. Kingmaker has always been my favorite and I was glad to see it draw a mention.

Also chess, Go, Stratego, Feudal . . . .

SCRABBLE IS DEAD.

A few years back, they added two words to the Scrabble word list: Qi and Za.

Qi is an alternative spelling of Chi, the lifeforce of eastern philosophy. Weak, but ok.

Za is a shortening of "pizza". Lame. First of, it should be punctuated. 'za. But whatever. Still lame.

NOW COMES THE DEATH OF SCRABBLE:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8604625.stm

Proper nouns come into play in Scrabble rule change

The rules of word game Scrabble are being changed for the first time in its history to allow the use of proper nouns, games company Mattel has said.

Place names, people's names and company names or brands will now count.

Mattel, which brings out a new version of the game containing amended rules in July, hopes the change will encourage younger people to play.

Until now a few proper nouns had been allowed which were determined by a word list based on the Collins dictionary.

In Scrabble, players try to gain the highest points by making words with individual letter tiles on a grid board.

Each letter tile has a points value between one and 10, based on the letter's frequency in standard English.

Various coloured squares on the board can double or triple a player's points.

'New dimension'

Mattel said there would be no hard and fast rule over whether a proper noun was correct or not.

A spokeswoman for the company said the use of proper nouns would "add a new dimension" to Scrabble and "introduce an element of popular culture into the game".

She said: "This is one of a number of twists and challenges included that we believe existing fans will enjoy and will also enable younger fans and families to get involved."

However, Mattel said it would not be doing away with the old rules altogether.

It will continue to sell a board with the original rules.

Scrabble was invented in 1938 by American-born architect Alfred Butts. He later sold the rights and it was trademarked in 1948.
I'm gonna go get my torch and pitchfork and storm the Mattel HQ. Who's with me?

Went to a 'board game' type toy store and picked up a game called Gobblet. At first it seems simple enough, but you soon find out it is complex with a touch of maddening frustration. Has won multiple international awards for game play, design, etc...

Imagine crossing chess, go and connect four.
Another great game. Gobblet Jr. is nice for the kids.

Acquire and Titan are my favorites ever.

Every time I go to my hometown to visit, me and 2 other buddies get a game or two of Acquire in. Huge bragging rights on the line every time.

The rules of word game Scrabble are being changed for the first time in its history to allow the use of proper nouns, games company Mattel has said.
Not so.
Don't Panic: Proper Nouns Will Not Be Allowed in Scrabble

Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:36 PM | By Josh Levin

A guest post from Slate contributor Stefan Fatsis:

No, world, the rules of Scrabble are not changing.

Despite what you may have heard this morning on NPR or read on Kotaku or CBS or learned from the BBC or the Telegraph, the companies that own Scrabble—the word game to which I have devoted thousands of hours of my adult life—have not decided to allow proper nouns to desecrate the 15-by-15 board. But it sure makes for a good story. "Mattel changes the rules of Scrabble for the first time since 1948," the London Times trumpeted. "Beyonce on a triple-word score?" asked the Daily Mail.

Put a sock in it. Here's what's actually happening. Mattel, which owns the rights to Scrabble outside of North America, is introducing a game this summer called Scrabble Trickster. The game will include cards that allow players to spell words backward, use proper nouns, and steal letters from opponents, among other nontraditional moves. The game will not be available in North America, where rival toy company Hasbro owns Scrabble. Hasbro, I'm told, has no plans for a similar variation.

Here I Stand is the best game ever. 6 players, 8-10 hours simulating the Wars of the Reformation.

Not so.

Despite what you may have heard this morning on NPR or read on Kotaku or CBS or learned from the BBC or the Telegraph, the companies that own Scrabble—the word game to which I have devoted thousands of hours of my adult life—have not decided to allow proper nouns to desecrate the 15-by-15 board. But it sure makes for a good story. "Mattel changes the rules of Scrabble for the first time since 1948," the London Times trumpeted. "Beyonce on a triple-word score?" asked the Daily Mail.

Put a sock in it. Here's what's actually happening. Mattel, which owns the rights to Scrabble outside of North America, is introducing a game this summer called Scrabble Trickster. The game will include cards that allow players to spell words backward, use proper nouns, and steal letters from opponents, among other nontraditional moves. The game will not be available in North America, where rival toy company Hasbro owns Scrabble. Hasbro, I'm told, has no plans for a similar variation.

Thank god. Those wacky brits can have whatever game they want, but if they mess with Scrabble in the Western Hemisphere, I'm personally going to burn the place down. Call it the Monroe Doctrine of Board Games. "Qi" and "Za" are bad enough. Borderline treasonous. That far and no further! I'm drawing the line right there.

Not so.

Thank god. Those wacky brits can have whatever game they want, but if they mess with Scrabble in the Western Hemisphere, I'm personally going to burn the place down. Call it the Monroe Doctrine of Board Games. "Qi" and "Za" are bad enough. Borderline treasonous. That far and no further! I'm drawing the line right there.
I NEVER GET LAID!

Risk, Monopoly, Scrabble, Stratego, Trivial Pursuit, Cribbage...hell, I like any board game.

But, have you played Clue: The Great Museum Caper? I loved that game. You couldn't nab me if I was the thief. Great game for those that couldn't possibly like Dane Cook.
Might want to check out Scotland Yard or Mr. Jack if you liked that Clue game.
Here is a Java version of Scotland Yard. You control the detectives, and the computer controls Mr. X.

Has anyone here ever played Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game?

It's got good reviews and a board game based on killing zombies sounds like fun but I am not a game geek and would have a hard time finding anyone to play a long complicated game. Supposedly this one isn't too nerdy.
Yeah, I own it (and the Growing Hunger expansion set). This game is neither long nor complicated (at least not compared to the games I usually play). However, it is longer and more complicated than most of the Zombie-themed games (like Zombies!!! or Mall of Horrors). And it comes with a soundtrack that you can put on while playing. It sucks, but still, how awesome is that?Some new games that have hit my "awesome" list since the last time I visited this thread:

Dominion

Through The Ages

Tales of the Arabian Knights

Middle Earth Quest

Chaos in the Old World (possibly my favourite new game)

Runewars

Dungeon Lords

Battlestar Galactica

Also, for all you fans of old Avalon Hill games, they are re-making Betrayal At House On The Hill. For those who haven't played this game, it's a great little haunted house exploration game where one of the players becomes the bad guy halfway through the game, but you never know until that point who it will be. Very fun.

It's got good reviews and a board game based on killing zombies sounds like fun but I am not a game geek and would have a hard time finding anyone to play a long complicated game. Supposedly this one isn't too nerdy.
Yeah, I own it (and the Growing Hunger expansion set). This game is neither long nor complicated (at least not compared to the games I usually play). However, it is longer and more complicated than most of the Zombie-themed games (like Zombies!!! or Mall of Horrors). And it comes with a soundtrack that you can put on while playing. It sucks, but still, how awesome is that?
So you would rcommend it to non-hardcore gamers?

Yeah, I own it (and the Growing Hunger expansion set). This game is neither long nor complicated (at least not compared to the games I usually play). However, it is longer and more complicated than most of the Zombie-themed games (like Zombies!!! or Mall of Horrors). And it comes with a soundtrack that you can put on while playing. It sucks, but still, how awesome is that?
So you would rcommend it to non-hardcore gamers?
Only if they're zombie fans.If you want to watch a video review so you can judge for yourself, try this one:

That's just part 1 of 4, but you should be able to find the links to the others parts on that page. Warning: the two reviewers are very geeky. But it gives you a decent sense of the game.

So let's say I'm out of the game loop.

I used to like chess, and I used to like Risk.

Chess, because it's a complex strategy game based on simple concepts, where the outcome is entirely based on your skill vis a vis your opponent. And it didn't take all day to play one game.

Risk, because it's a good game that combines strategy with chance in very simple ways, yet requires just enough brainpower that you don't feel like you're playing Candyland (NTTAWWT). Also, it's good for any number of players, and it too doesn't take all day to play one game.

What modern games might I like?

So let's say I'm out of the game loop.I used to like chess, and I used to like Risk.Chess, because it's a complex strategy game based on simple concepts, where the outcome is entirely based on your skill vis a vis your opponent. And it didn't take all day to play one game.Risk, because it's a good game that combines strategy with chance in very simple ways, yet requires just enough brainpower that you don't feel like you're playing Candyland (NTTAWWT). Also, it's good for any number of players, and it too doesn't take all day to play one game.What modern games might I like?
Hungry Hungry Hippos!

I'm going to jump in too and ask for suggestions that are good to play with two or three people. I'm afraid game night means just the wife and me. If we're really cutting loose, her sister will be over.

Carasconne is supposed to be OK with two, right?

I'm going to jump in too and ask for suggestions that are good to play with two or three people. I'm afraid game night means just the wife and me. If we're really cutting loose, her sister will be over.

Carasconne is supposed to be OK with two, right?
I play a lot of serious wargames that women would never play. But one that many hardcore gamers have said their wives enjoyed is Twilight Struggle . It's an interesting game that's not overly complicated.

I'll add yet another vote for Diplomacy. I'm sorry I missed the FFA games.

I did use to love those Avalon Hill war games too. Tobruk, Starship Troopers, and Rise and Decline of the Third Reich were probably my favorites.

Chess, because it's a complex strategy game based on simple concepts, where the outcome is entirely based on your skill vis a vis your opponent. And it didn't take all day to play one game.

Risk, because it's a good game that combines strategy with chance in very simple ways, yet requires just enough brainpower that you don't feel like you're playing Candyland (NTTAWWT). Also, it's good for any number of players, and it too doesn't take all day to play one game.

Well first of all, this is not a modern game by any stretch. But if you like Chess, you should really learn Go. The concepts are even simpler than Chess, it's entirely skill based, it doesn't take any longer to play than Chess, but it's so much more complex. Because (1) the board is bigger and (2) you aren't restricted by specific piece movement rules, as Chess is. Very deep game.Second, I'm going to recommend one game that borrows its theme heavily from Risk, but does it in a more Eurogamey way. Basically, this is a modern board game company doing an "interpretation" of Risk, sort of like "this is how Risk would have been done if we had all these board game advances back then". The game is called Dust. Read about it, watch some reviews. What I'm saying is that if you like Dust more than Risk, then you're ready for more. If not, then stick with Risk.

I'm going to jump in too and ask for suggestions that are good to play with two or three people. I'm afraid game night means just the wife and me. If we're really cutting loose, her sister will be over.Carasconne is supposed to be OK with two, right?
Carcassonne is very good with 2. I would also recommend Lost Cities and Hive as excellent two-player games (but neither of those two will work with 3, whereas Carcassonne will). My final recommendation for a great game for 2-4 players is Dominion. A little hard to explain, but it's very elegant, plays very quickly, and isn't tough to learn once you sit down with it. It's an extremely popular game, so a YouTube search of "Dominion review" will probably give you a bunch of hits, if you want to check it out.

Well first of all, this is not a modern game by any stretch. But if you like Chess, you should really learn Go. The concepts are even simpler than Chess, it's entirely skill based, it doesn't take any longer to play than Chess, but it's so much more complex. Because (1) the board is bigger and (2) you aren't restricted by specific piece movement rules, as Chess is. Very deep game.Second, I'm going to recommend one game that borrows its theme heavily from Risk, but does it in a more Eurogamey way. Basically, this is a modern board game company doing an "interpretation" of Risk, sort of like "this is how Risk would have been done if we had all these board game advances back then". The game is called Dust. Read about it, watch some reviews. What I'm saying is that if you like Dust more than Risk, then you're ready for more. If not, then stick with Risk.
I certainly know Go. Was hoping for something modern-gamier I didn't know of yet. If you've got any suggestions, much appreciated.Will check out Dust. Thx for the recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread