Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Sober February

11 minutes ago, rockaction said:

The first time I went into outpatient rehab, I to get rides there and turn over my keys every day to the admin staff, who tested for booze. People do indeed do this. The very act of going means she knows she needs help, which is a huge step in it of its own. It may take a time or two (by this, I mean the whole rehab endeavor) for it to really settle in. The adjustment she is making is incredibly difficult from a physiological/biological point of view. I hadn't realized how my body was completely dependent and affected until I had been sober for half a year. It still is changing every day.

This won't be easy. That's a lot of wine for an average-sized woman. Speaking of which, she's killing junk food right now because of the loss of all the sugar and the nervous habit of always ingesting. It's normal.

Best of luck to her. I just figured I'd chime in because I can fully relate to going to the clinic totally drunk. It's not a sign of flippancy. It's a sign of pure dependence and the ownership of alcohol over your life.

Peace. 

Always appreciate your insight, Rock.  Helps to hear your insight into this topic.  And your encouragement in February wasn't greatly appreciated.

• Thanks 1

I am definitely going sober for this upcoming February, save for a possible Super Bowl party.  

I'm also going to go on a 6ish-week diet from Super Bowl until March Madness.   I am getting WAY too fat.

So far so good.  Watching NFL tonight without beer will be tough but I'm enjoying my nightly hot tea.  Back to back terrific nights of sleep.  Enjoyed that.  

Heading out to see my sister Saturday.  Will miss the 2nd half of LSU/Bama but she only has 2 hours open to visitors on Saturdays (only day) so I'll roll out there with my old man. 

4 days down after today.  Head down, first mile always the hardest.

• Like 3

Good luck GM. I’m over 2 years in. I was drinking too much had some high liver test numbers come back and just quit. Last year had them rechecked and totally normal. Now it’s not even a problem. The biggest trouble is telling people I don’t drink. They think it’s strange or I’m a broke alcoholic.  i still go out, have fun but wake up feeling great. I’m there everyday for my kids and have never felt better! GL to you and your sister. 

I do remember one thing from when I first contemplated quitting. I remember thinking I would miss it and was scared of that.  Of not having it in my life.  Well 2 years later I am happy to report that I don’t miss it and have never felt better both emotionally or physically. B

Edited by boots11234
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, boots11234 said:

Good luck GM. I’m over 2 years in. I was drinking too much had some high liver test numbers come back and just quit. Last year had them rechecked and totally normal. Now it’s not even a problem. The biggest trouble is telling people I don’t drink. They think it’s strange or I’m a broke alcoholic.  i still go out, have fun but wake up feeling great. I’m there everyday for my kids and have never felt better! GL to you and your sister. 

I do remember one thing from when I first contemplated quitting. I remember thinking I would miss it and was scared of that.  Of not having it in my life.  Well 2 years later I am happy to report that I don’t miss it and have never felt better both emotionally or physically. B

Man, that's awesome, Boots.  Good for you.  Did you just quit cold turkey or did it take some time?  

6 hours ago, boots11234 said:

I quit in June. And I have to say, it's not been nearly as hard as the drinker in me imagined. I have a pretty good gig going. I travel all over the world promoting food events and get to go to these amazing parties where everything is free. And then we go to amazing restaurants where almost always, someone else is buying. And I have the discretionary income from all this stuff I do on the side to be able to afford whatever I want to drink. Did I mention I get to go on all these trips with my dad. Which is great as he and I get to spend way more time together than most 70 year old dads and 46 year old sons. But my dad is an alcoholic.

For me, my journey went like this. I realized in this world that if we have a bad day, drink some beers and it will get better. Had a great day? Drink some beers. It will get better. It just doesn't work that way. But somehow this society we live in makes alcohol the fixer of everything bad and the amplifier of everything good. That;s just crazy talk yet that's the world we live in.

My wife is an alcoholic. She quit when she was pregnant with our first and all through the pregnancy. She quit for good when pregnant with our second. That was 10 years ago. I decided last year that my kids didn't need to see dad with a beer in his hand all the time so I quit in front of them. Then I found myself waiting for them to go bed so I could have a drink and then pounding them. That was it. Saturday before Father's day I had my last drink. Some really ####ty wine at an Italian restaurant with some family and friends. I'm grateful for the family and friends. Not so much the wine. Even if it was any good. 

I don't miss beer or bourbon. I do miss having a glass of red here and there. But we all know where that glass of red leads.

What I don't miss? Waking up feeling like ####. Over eating because I'm trying to make up for the nutrients lost by the alcohol leaching them from my system. And I will also say this. Someone came up to me who barely knew me, but had seen me at many of these events. He said to me. "People respect you more that you don't drink." I thought I wouldn't fit in with the groups/gangs/cliques that are ever present in this circuit as in every circuit. Turns out, I fit in better. 

Here's a tidbit I've learned since I quit. Alcohol is a group 1 carcinogen. And that all those tobacco lawyers that worked for Phillip Morris and such are now working for big alcohol companies. Other members of that group 1 are arsenic, benzene and asbestos. The #### is poison. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, General Malaise said:

Whelp, I made good use of my last weekend on the sauce.  Went to a party Saturday and got pretty loaded.  Then woke up early yesterday and had my first beer at 9am.  Wasn't may last.  :bag:

But that's that.  Stocked up on kombucha and club soda for the week.  Instructed the bartenders at my favorite watering hole that I'm cut off this month.  Club soda and lime only.  I told my family and friends so they can help keep me accountable.  

My sister emailed us on Saturday.   She spent her first two days in detox and blew a .295 when she got there.  She got drunk the morning she went into the treatment center and says she's been drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a day over the last few years.  She's also been gorging on junk food and fast food and put on a ton of weight.  No judging as I have my own weight issues, but I'm hoping she takes full advantage of this recovery and makes permanent healthy lifestyle choices.  

This has been General Malaise for YouTube Sober November

Is this why you didn't text me back?  :kicksrock:

Seriously...good luck and I wish your sister well since I got to meet her in person.  Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Good stuff in here.  Thanks for posting.  :thumbup:

I'm having a MUCH easier time right now than I did back in February.  February was the first time I ever voluntarily gave up booze completely for a month.  And it was a little challenging, but I did it.  And when I started back up again March 8th, I started up slowly.  But it wasn't long before bad habits crept back in and I had a few nights that were blurry or mornings where I woke up foggy and hungover, jonesing for the hair of the dog to 'get right'.  That's a terrible feeling and I'm really hopeful I can find a way to avoid those instances in the future.  However, I really lack impulse control and need to seriously consider giving up alcohol for good.  

But I'm not there yet.  I AM fully committed to Sober November, hoping to gain some perspective, come up with some steps in the future to avoid embarrassing nights fueled by too much alcohol and feeling better about myself by taking another sustained break.  On day 5, I have absolutely NO desire to have a beer on a Friday, which I don't think was the case back in February (I'm going to go back and look to make sure).  I just wake up and realize I'm not drinking today and that's that.  Body isn't craving it, mind isn't asking for it, feel pretty good overall.  

Goal for now is make it through November (Thanksgiving a cheat day I can live with, will push this to Dec. 6), tack on Sober February again and pick up another month in the summer.  2020 will be 3 full sober months.  That's the early goal for the new year.  

GM for Sober Youtube Living

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Is this why you didn't text me back?  :kicksrock:

Seriously...good luck and I wish your sister well since I got to meet her in person.  Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Dude, I'm a terrible friend.  I meant to text you back and it was just one of those hectic days.  Feel bad about it!  

What are your plans for Thanksgiving?  

Just now, General Malaise said:

Dude, I'm a terrible friend.  I meant to text you back and it was just one of those hectic days.  Feel bad about it!  

What are your plans for Thanksgiving?  

Not going back the midwest, so I'll either be hanging with some of my buddies who are also in the same boat or I'll be searching for something to do.

4 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Not going back the midwest, so I'll either be hanging with some of my buddies who are also in the same boat or I'll be searching for something to do.

Consider this an invite to Chez Malaise if your other plans fall through.  I can't imagine you'd want to do that considering the chaos of our home, but the offer is always there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

i've nothing more to say than good luck  :thumbup:

i've seen booze kill family. it's not a good way to go. do what's best for you and your future, gb.

Thx Furls.  8 days down. Had about 10 seconds on Sunday at the Blazers' game where I thought about caving and having a beer with my food since they no longer have kombucha on tap there :hot:....I don't drink soda, club sodas are $9 and I wanted something more than just plain water.  Figured just one would be ok, but quickly got that thought out of my head and found a delicious lemonade.  

Saw my sister on Saturday.  She's doing well, working the program, reading all the books, taking steps to recovery. Not an easy fix, but hopeful this sets her up for a healthy, successful life when she gets out.

Head down, keep going.  Dec 6th....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

10 days and counting....:boxing:

That’s good stuff. 

I’m at 2 days which is the longest I’ve gone in recent memory  I’m not sure where it’s going but at least I need to stop drinking out of habit.  Having a kegerator makes it so easy and eliminates the evidence in the recycling bin  

Definitely  helps to read about others traveling  the same road 

Made it 14 full days before yesterday.  Yesterday, I had a rare opportunity to take my wife out to lunch, so we tried out this Puerto Rican restaurant I've been eyeballing for quite some time and boy, I'm sure glad we did.  I wasn't going back to work and the cocktail list was too good to pass up - if I'm trying out a new spot and a different type of cuisine I've never had before, I'm not going to drink water.  So we both ordered the house special; "The Quickie" and it was delightful.  

Just had one, but it was delicious, especially paired with yellow rice, beans and slow cooked pork.  Add in the sweet plantains and this meal was simply splendid.  

BUT WAIT, THAT'S NOT ALL!!!!

Weather has been damp, cool and dreary, so I decided last night to build a fire and let the little kids roast s'mores.  After they were all asleep, wife and I threw another log on the fire and she requested a little  Balvenie 14 Year Old Caribbean Cask and some company.  Who am I to say no to that?  One of the better days I've had in quite some time mostly because it was impromptu and unexpected.  

So....I caved.  2 drinks on the day, no beers in between and no desire to drink today either.  Will stay sober until Thanksgiving, then tack on another week after that.  

GM for YouTube Sorta Sober November

• Like 3

On 11/14/2019 at 3:31 PM, berndog said:

That’s good stuff. 

I’m at 2 days which is the longest I’ve gone in recent memory  I’m not sure where it’s going but at least I need to stop drinking out of habit.  Having a kegerator makes it so easy and eliminates the evidence in the recycling bin  

If you want to talk about this, I'm here for you. 

On 11/14/2019 at 3:31 PM, berndog said:

That’s good stuff. 

Get rid of kegerator.

Took my son out to dinner last night after attending a scholarship/financial aid presentation at his HS.  If ever I felt the need for a drink, it was after that eye-opening experience.  :cry:

But, as we ordered up at the counter of Big's Chicken (soooooooooo good), I spied their cooler full of Kombuchas and passed on the opportunity to have one of their awesome craft beers on tap. 

So, back to it.  Head down, keep going..... 

Edited by General Malaise
  • Like 5

On 11/19/2019 at 1:19 PM, General Malaise said:

Made it 14 full days before yesterday.  Yesterday, I had a rare opportunity to take my wife out to lunch, so we tried out this Puerto Rican restaurant I've been eyeballing for quite some time and boy, I'm sure glad we did.  I wasn't going back to work and the cocktail list was too good to pass up - if I'm trying out a new spot and a different type of cuisine I've never had before, I'm not going to drink water.  So we both ordered the house special; "The Quickie" and it was delightful.  

Just had one, but it was delicious, especially paired with yellow rice, beans and slow cooked pork.  Add in the sweet plantains and this meal was simply splendid.  

BUT WAIT, THAT'S NOT ALL!!!!

Weather has been damp, cool and dreary, so I decided last night to build a fire and let the little kids roast s'mores.  After they were all asleep, wife and I threw another log on the fire and she requested a little  Balvenie 14 Year Old Caribbean Cask and some company.  Who am I to say no to that?  One of the better days I've had in quite some time mostly because it was impromptu and unexpected.  

So....I caved.  2 drinks on the day, no beers in between and no desire to drink today either.  Will stay sober until Thanksgiving, then tack on another week after that.  

GM for YouTube Sorta Sober November

GM I'm not attacking you here, understand that please.  The following could be comments on many posts in this thread but i chose yours.  Sorry.

So I re-read this.  This is what I see.  Excuses.  And more Excuses.  Some examples "rare opportunity"  'eyeballing' 'sure glad we did',  'too good to pass up', 'different type of cuisine', 'not drinking water', 'delightful', 'delicious', 'simply splendid' 'BUT WAIT, THATS NOT ALL'.

More you ask, OK:  'cool and dreary', built a fire, 'another log on the fire, she requested, who am i to say no to that.   One of the better days, impromptu and unexpected.

And AND you have thanksgiving to look forward to!

You Caved a long time before this day, not because of this day.  

You dont need to find excuses to drink, or i should say EVERYTHING is an excuse to drink (see above).  Even this thread is pretty stupid.  Quitting for a month is dumb.  You're setting yourself up to fail.  You're torturing yourselves by quitting for a month.  Because your mind knows its only a month and its torture.  When you quit for good, really quit and let it go, its actually easier.  I dont drink.  Use to.  I dont label myself as an alcoholic.  I refuse to.  I dont look at today as making it through another day of not drinking.  I look at it as another day.  I see no benefit in drinking and immense benefits in not drinking.  I've changed my perspective.  You need to change your relationship with alcohol, the way you look at it.  Once you do that you'll be free.  Until then youre just a  prisoner of marketing,  peer pressure, and 'another log on the fire', (add your own reason here).  

I've said my peace.  GL to all in your sober month.  I wish you all the best.  Truly.

Edited by boots11234
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, boots11234 said:

GM I'm not attacking you here, understand that please.  The following could be comments on many posts in this thread but i chose yours.  Sorry.

So I re-read this.  This is what I see.  Excuses.  And more Excuses.  Some examples "rare opportunity"  'eyeballing' 'sure glad we did',  'too good to pass up', 'different type of cuisine', 'not drinking water', 'delightful', 'delicious', 'simply splendid' 'BUT WAIT, THATS NOT ALL'.

More you ask, OK:  'cool and dreary', built a fire, 'another log on the fire, she requested, who am i to say no to that.   One of the better days, impromptu and unexpected.

You dont need to find excuses to drink, or i should say EVERYTHING is an excuse to drink (see above).  Even this thread is pretty stupid.  Quitting for a month is dumb.  You're setting yourself up to fail.  You're torturing yourselves by quitting for a month.  Because your mind knows its only a month and its torture.  When you quit for good, really quit and let it go, its actually easier.  I dont drink.  Use to.  I dont label myself as an alcoholic.  I refuse to.  I dont look at today as making it through another day of not drinking.  I look at it as another day.  I see no benefit in drinking and immense benefits in not drinking.  I've changed my perspective.  You need to change your relationship with alcohol, the way you look at it.  Once you do that you'll be free.  Until then youre just a  prisoner of marketing,  peer pressure, and 'another log on the fire', (add your own reason here).  

I've said my peace.  GL to all in your sober month.  I wish you all the best.  Truly.

bruh.....

i know your thoughts are only meant to be as supportive as possible.  but..........GM is doing this, in support of his sister.  

10 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

bruh.....

i know your thoughts are only meant to be as supportive as possible.  but..........GM is doing this, in support of his sister.  

That was the catalyst for this one, but I also did it for myself.  This marks two months this year I've gone the sober month route, lame as that may be for Boots.  I never once stated I was on a mission to quit for good, so I'm not sure why Boots felt the need to project, but we're all entitled to an opinion.  

I like beer and wine and liquor and have no designs of abandoning them.  For those that have, that's great, but that was a choice YOU made for YOU.  No need to lecture others on how they should live their life, but again, all opinions welcome.  :thumbup:

12 hours ago, boots11234 said:

I appreciate it, but I think your post is a bit misplaced.  I'm glad that your life has improved without alcohol, but it doesn't give you a badge to go around condemning others who do drink.  It was a choice you made that worked out for you and that's great!  Maybe one day I'll make the same choice for myself, but that was never my stated goal nor the impetus of this thread (as stupid or dumb - your words - as you think this thread is).  This thread was established for drinkers who wanted to go without for a month.  Pretty straight forward.  To come in and pooh-pooh it isn't a very good look, to be frank.

I am interested in your story, however, and think that a separate thread/discussion for people who used to drink but no longer do would be a good one.  I just think issuing admonishments in here is beyond the pale.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Bump. 

I think this Sunday will be my last day of drinking until March 1.

Staying sober for Super Bowl?

Last year I did an "abbreviated" version of this:  no beer and no lunchtime fast food (aside from a taco or two at Del Taco / Taco Bell) from Super Bowl until March Madness.

No fries, no greasy cheeseburgers, no chili dogs.   I dropped like 20 pounds doing this last year.  

If I hit my bar up it'll be vodka presses.  No beer.

It's half-assed but I see a huge benefit nonetheless.  :)

1 minute ago, nirad3 said:

Staying sober for Super Bowl?

Yeah. We usually just stay in for it any way. That's one of the reasons I'm starting a few days early. It doesn't make sense to me to drink Thursday/Friday then be sober Saturday and SB Sunday. Might as well head into the day with a little momentum.

I’ve been really looking at my alcohol consumption for a while now and had to admit to myself that changes had to be made. Too many binge nights a week.  I was sober for November minus day after thanksgiving. Sober through December minus the 28th. So far sober for 2020. I plan on going till end of February and go for my yearly checkup in March. Do bloodwork and liver ultrasound (had a fatty liver) last time they checked. If everything checks out I plan on keeping lifestyle changes. Once or twice a month drinks. If things don’t check out I have a nice head start on my new teetotal life.

• Like 1

I'm already on day 9 and I feel Tony the Tiger Greeeeeeat!  I was drinking four or five six packs a week, all high ABV (Dale's Pale Ale and Little Sumpin' Sumpins).

Looking forward to the pounds melting away, and will be bragging about it in the Otis thread.

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

I'm already on day 9 and I feel Tony the Tiger Greeeeeeat!  I was drinking four or five six packs a week, all high ABV (Dale's Pale Ale and Little Sumpin' Sumpins).

Looking forward to the pounds melting away, and will be bragging about it in the Otis thread.

Keep truckin', big fella. Best wishes to you.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, Steeler said:

I'm in.  Im starting the day after the Super Bowl until March 1st.  On march first i will no doubt call my wife and say "put the kids to bed early Marge, I'm coming home drunk!" loaded.

Love that episode!

I'm in.  Day after the Super Bowl I'm going dry until March 1.  

Also, found a new beverage alternative from Lagunitas - The Hoppy Refresher.  Had one the other day and enjoyed it.  I love kombucha, but that's got sugar in it.  This thing is zero carbs, zero cals and no alcohol.  Can find it at Whole Foods.  

23 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Love that episode!

I'm in.  Day after the Super Bowl I'm going dry until March 1.  

Also, found a new beverage alternative from Lagunitas - The Hoppy Refresher.  Had one the other day and enjoyed it.  I love kombucha, but that's got sugar in it.  This thing is zero carbs, zero cals and no alcohol.  Can find it at Whole Foods.  

And it's truly enjoyable?!? Forgive my skepticism, but I recently tried a non-alcoholic red IPA and stout... and after a few sips poured them both down the drain.

22 minutes ago, -arcK- said:

And it's truly enjoyable?!? Forgive my skepticism, but I recently tried a non-alcoholic red IPA and stout... and after a few sips poured them both down the drain.

It's not even trying to be a non-alcoholic beer.  It's simply carbonated water, dried hops and brewers yeast.  I hate the non-alcoholic beers too, but this is a nice alternative for the month.  For me....maybe not for everybody, but it's what I'll be stocking up on this month.

• Thanks 1

Just now, General Malaise said:

It's not even trying to be a non-alcoholic beer.  It's simply carbonated water, dried hops and brewers yeast.  I hate the non-alcoholic beers too, but this is a nice alternative for the month.  For me....maybe not for everybody, but it's what I'll be stocking up on this month.

my whole foods has some other brand.  $9 bucks for four of them.  pass.