What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (5 Viewers)

Mr krista and I are doing Sober January, minus Jan. 1. Oddly I'm looking forward to it. Who's in?!
I want today to be Day 1, same boat-drank on Jan 1st but would like to start

-First, there is a lot of cold beer and 1-offs in my fridge. I know I'm going to end up popping a can, already had a cold one ready to go after coming back from tennis this morning
I was going to pop one to have with my soup, I often have a beer with lunch, sometimes two. And sometimes that is it for the day
I placed it back in the fridge and asked myself "dude, we're not even gonna try?"

-You can't drink what's not there or what you don't buy at the store, same with junk food, if it's not in the house...

I'm just sharing, not asking for help,
I want to read what others are doing and shadow/mimic what's working
I've cut way back on whiskey and tequila, but I drink too much beer/wine.

Good Luck!

I'm not going cold turkey at any point, but I'm making a very conscious decision to just drink less in general. I'm trying very hard to not be hungover, because that destroys me. I don't sleep, it makes me anxious and I just can't function.
I think this is where I am at, 86 the hard liquor and dial it back as much as possible on beers/wine

I'm not going cold turkey at any point, but I'm making a very conscious decision to just drink less in general. I'm trying very hard to not be hungover, because that destroys me. I don't sleep, it makes me anxious and I just can't function.
I totally quit during Hard 75 last year. It amazed me how much just one or two impacts you and you don't know it. Not going to preach to anyone, but give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if you feel like Superman.

I totally quit during Hard 75 last year. It amazed me how much just one or two impacts you and you don't know it. Not going to preach to anyone, but give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if you feel like Superman.

I read a little about this but I'm not sure I can commit to the self help books part of this.

I'll be in here Mar-Apr. But I like my playoff football to come with beer.

I read a little about this but I'm not sure I can commit to the self help books part of this.

The self help books could be about mining metals or the like.

So just....non-fiction?

So just....non-fiction?
Yeah. I read business books and FBG FF articles. Anything that "could" improve your life. I figured doing better in daily FF qualified. Cooking, grilling, whatever floats your boat. As a non-reader it was tough. I looked for books with big text and pictures. Knocking it out in the morning while enjoying a cup of coffee before the awful water torture made the most sense.

Mr krista and I are doing Sober January, minus Jan. 1. Oddly I'm looking forward to it. Who's in?!
I want today to be Day 1, same boat-drank on Jan 1st but would like to start

-First, there is a lot of cold beer and 1-offs in my fridge. I know I'm going to end up popping a can, already had a cold one ready to go after coming back from tennis this morning
I was going to pop one to have with my soup, I often have a beer with lunch, sometimes two. And sometimes that is it for the day
I placed it back in the fridge and asked myself "dude, we're not even gonna try?"

-You can't drink what's not there or what you don't buy at the store, same with junk food, if it's not in the house...

I'm just sharing, not asking for help,
I want to read what others are doing and shadow/mimic what's working
I've cut way back on whiskey and tequila, but I drink too much beer/wine.

Good Luck!

I had the same thought and drank all the beers yesterday - I mean, I think I had 12-14 beers and I wasn’t drinking piss water. :hangover:

In!

Definitely in. 4 years, 9 months without a drink. A lot less time without drugs. But this was the thread that got me to realize that I had a serious problem that wasn't going away by itself. Thanks to St. Louis Bob and GM for being there for me during that month. Their kind words were off-the-charts instrumental in my life change.

So I'm in! Let's see if I can make it until March!

One day at a time, man. One day at a time.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar spot. Started noticing that most times I get really anxious or overreact to a minor problem, I drank the night before, even if it wasn't much and I don't feel especially hung over. Not going cold turkey either, but whether I can afford to be useless the next day affects my drinking decisions now.

I'll break the ice today, had a single tall boy of basic pilsner about 6:00 last night with dinner and that was it.
I would say from the lead up week to Christmas which included surprise visits from family out of town all the way thru New Years, avg 5-6 drinks a day, maybe more
I'm not always like that but I go thru spurts

I woke up feeling a little different this morning, productive motivation is how I would label it.
I do some of my best work when I get into these mind sets.

So just....non-fiction?
Yeah. I read business books and FBG FF articles. Anything that "could" improve your life. I figured doing better in daily FF qualified. Cooking, grilling, whatever floats your boat. As a non-reader it was tough. I looked for books with big text and pictures. Knocking it out in the morning while enjoying a cup of coffee before the awful water torture made the most sense.

I usually print off a dozen articles or so from The Athletic or Peter King or various other sports writers and carry the printout around with me until I read them all. Been doing this for over 20 years plus, so that's just part of my daily life. I might give this Hard 75 a go or something similar.

After football, of course.

I'm very intrigued by the new non-alcoholic beers that contain small amounts of THC. For example, this:

Harpoon Brewery has released a new drink the company says “offers a new kind of buzz.”

As of Wednesday, the brewery launched its first THC-based beverage called Rec. Weed. The drink is made in partnership with Massachusetts’ Novel Beverage Company.

Rec. Weed is a “hop-forward yet approachable beverage” made with 5 milligrams of THC, real passionfruit puree, green tea and hops, Harpoon Brewery said. The drink has 25 calories and 3 grams of sugar per can.

Been drinking too much. Wife and I are doing dry January. It really is amazing how much better I sleep, and how much more energy I have when I don't drink. Also, I want to be a better role model for my kids......Also, I want to have the energy to be there for them.

The reality is, almost all of the stupid things I've done, or wasted days I've had in my life, were directly attributed to alcohol consumption.......it's tough though when ur social circle, and gatherings are not lacking in alcohol. And I loooooove good beer.

After this month, I may try to extend longer.

Wife and I are doing dry January, then we'll see if we want to push it into February as well. Looking forward to seeing how much weight comes off since there won't be any alcohol or buzzed junk food calories, and also how much better my body feels - like others have said, anxiety and mood swings were sometimes a side effect. We're both excited for the change and having your partner join you in the effort makes it a lot easier. We didn't get rid of any of the booze, though - unlike junk food we can both have it around without any issues.

I'm very intrigued by the new non-alcoholic beers that contain small amounts of THC. For example, this:

Harpoon Brewery has released a new drink the company says “offers a new kind of buzz.”

As of Wednesday, the brewery launched its first THC-based beverage called Rec. Weed. The drink is made in partnership with Massachusetts’ Novel Beverage Company.

Rec. Weed is a “hop-forward yet approachable beverage” made with 5 milligrams of THC, real passionfruit puree, green tea and hops, Harpoon Brewery said. The drink has 25 calories and 3 grams of sugar per can.
I would need a lot more THC...

A DDH-TTHC which would stand for
Double Dry Hopped Triple-THC Ale

If I don't drop flowers in a glass handheld or bong and do it the old fashioned way, nothing happens

If I don't drop flowers in a glass handheld or bong and do it the old fashioned way, nothing happens

I mean.....I'm not looking to get zooted off these, I'd just like to try them out to see if a non-alcoholic beer with a tiny bit of THC 1) Tastes good and 2) could provide just a mild effect similar to a low-dose edible.

Looks like Oregon has put a block on any non-alcoholic beers with THC or CBD so that sucks. :kicksrock:

I always hate calling it Sober Feb/Jan, etc. I rarely get drunk but drink often. Having a beer or two or even several spread out over a day doesn’t get me drunk but I undoubtedly need to cut back. I’m in for nothing until February and then evaluate from there. I turn 50 in May and want to get in really good shape if I can. I added some weight during the holidays and hope to drop all that by end of Jan.

Similar to others, wife and I are doing Dry January. I may extend it a little more. At 50, I need to lose weight and lower my liver numbers. I also need to be a better role model for my 14 and 15 year old boys. I also need to stop getting unintentionally black out drunk 3-4 times per year - it’s gonna eventually get me into HUGE trouble. I’ve tried numerous times to be a teetotaler and just have 1 or 2, but it doesn’t ever work. Maybe 0 is the right number.

My issue is I work out 5-6 days a week and have forever, but I also like drinking beer, and getting a little buzz going. When I don`t drink at all for 1-2 months I really do not feel that much different. I work out first thing in the morning so drinking the night before was not good for the workouts.

A couple years ago I decided I was only going to drink one day a month. So I pick the day, usually a Saturday, a wedding or a party that has been planned. Have 6-8 beers or whatever. Then next day back to no drinking. That way I look forward to a day of having some beers instead of it being a routine.

I stopped drinking bourbon altogether. Even though I enjoy it I gave up bourbon, started getting wicked hangovers. No matter how many beers I drink I never feel that bad the next day, if I drink too much bourbon I am destroyed the next day..just a crappy feeling all day.

Last edited:
Just finished a dry December and I plan on carrying it through till Super Bowl, but might go longer. I turned 50 in a couple weeks so Im trying to get into some semblance of shape. I have my annual bloodwork coming up and Ive had some bad cholesterol and liver numbers in the past. I figure at 50 its time to quit messing around and make health a priority.

How are we factoring edibles into this?

I've only had one glass of red wine (no other beer or booze) since 12/28. Wife and I are committed to a sober January, but we're doing a little bit of edibles (5mg or less) to take the edge off, primarily for getting to sleep.

so for me i have come to realize that 99 percent of the world can drink responsibly but i am not in that 99 percent for me the question is never should i have another drink the question is how many are left and that is how many i will have or do my damndest until i pass out trying so this is my experience but the long and the short of it for me is that i have noticed a very stark line between fishing trips or trips to national parks and so on when i am drinking versus when i am not when i am sober i am in the moment and enjoying the things that i went there to do and the people i am with for what the activity is and what the person is when i am drinking however i spend the trip chasing drinks and the activity im there to do is secondary to the drinking and the only relationship i develop with the other people there surrounds the drinking and doing things while drinking and again this is for me only but i now see that when i live my life chasing drinks it isnt good from a relationship or health standpoint and i enjoy living my life clearly versus blurry every day take that to the bank brohans

so for me i have come to realize that 99 percent of the world can drink responsibly but i am not in that 99 percent for me the question is never should i have another drink the question is how many are left and that is how many i will have or do my damndest until i pass out trying so this is my experience but the long and the short of it for me is that i have noticed a very stark line between fishing trips or trips to national parks and so on when i am drinking versus when i am not when i am sober i am in the moment and enjoying the things that i went there to do and the people i am with for what the activity is and what the person is when i am drinking however i spend the trip chasing drinks and the activity im there to do is secondary to the drinking and the only relationship i develop with the other people there surrounds the drinking and doing things while drinking and again this is for me only but i now see that when i live my life chasing drinks it isnt good from a relationship or health standpoint and i enjoy living my life clearly versus blurry every day take that to the bank brohans

You're not alone, SWC. There are others like me that have a similar relationship to drinking.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I'm on Day Three, and as in past times when I've given it up, the first day was easy and the second was much more challenging. Then today I hit the typical stresser that would cause me to "need" a drink - work. Major personnel issues that are taking up all my time, causing angst and worse throughout the team. In fact, I've closed my computer for the rest of the day and am taking off until tomorrow. These are the circumstances where I most strongly want a drink, but just saying no this time. It'll pass.

By the way, different things work for different people, but Mr. krista has an app going that shows him how much money he has saved each day by not drinking, and that seems to inspire him the most. I think it also calculates calories saved. I set it up on my phone and quickly realized I didn't care. I'm more interested just in confirming I have the mental wherewithal.

Started a dry January on the 1st but toning down the uppers as well as the downers (cutting out energy drinks too....will still do coffee/tea occasionally but the energy drinks were almost daily).

So far so good, but I have a Vegas trip planned for the last weekend of the month so may have to call it "sober 25 days of January".

I set it up on my phone and quickly realized I didn't care. I'm more interested just in confirming I have the mental wherewithal.

That's awesome. Whatever your motivation is, go with it.

If confirming that you have the mental wherewithal to do this is important to you, let that be your reasoning. There are so many positives that can come of this brief moment of self-reflection that the possibilities are boundless.

Best of luck to both of you.

Last edited:
I'm on Day Three, and as in past times when I've given it up, the first day was easy and the second was much more challenging. Then today I hit the typical stresser that would cause me to "need" a drink - work. Major personnel issues that are taking up all my time, causing angst and worse throughout the team. In fact, I've closed my computer for the rest of the day and am taking off until tomorrow. These are the circumstances where I most strongly want a drink, but just saying no this time. It'll pass.

If you drink beer try Stella NA. When I crave a beer I have 2 of these. Best NA I have found.

I mean.....I'm not looking to get zooted off these, I'd just like to try them out to see if a non-alcoholic beer with a tiny bit of THC 1) Tastes good and 2) could provide just a mild effect similar to a low-dose edible.

Looks like Oregon has put a block on any non-alcoholic beers with THC or CBD so that sucks. :kicksrock:
What about seltzers/ciders? I drink a fair amount of THC drinks when I don't want to drink a big IPA (mostly for calorie/waistline reasons) and there aren't many beer options here but there are dozens of different THC seltzers and a few ciders. A lot of the seltzers are 0-15 calories.

They're capped at 10mg here, so they're not going to crush you too much.

So far my January has been sober due to covid. I'm not going to stay dry but I plan on switching mostly to the 2.5%/100 calorie beers my brewery makes for the month, so kind of a damp January.

What about seltzers/ciders? I drink a fair amount of THC drinks when I don't want to drink a big IPA (mostly for calorie/waistline reasons) and there aren't many beer options here but there are dozens of different THC seltzers and a few ciders. A lot of the seltzers are 0-15 calories.

They're capped at 10mg here, so they're not going to crush you too much.

So far my January has been sober due to covid. I'm not going to stay dry but I plan on switching mostly to the 2.5%/100 calorie beers my brewery makes for the month, so kind of a damp January.

I might look into them, but I think they're only available at dispensaries and imagine they'll be pretty expensive. The Hoppy Seltzers from Lagunitas are good, but again, pretty spendy for a six-pack. Club soda and lime works for me. I enjoy kombucha by man that's a lot of sugar.

By the way, different things work for different people, but Mr. krista has an app going that shows him how much money he has saved each day by not drinking, and that seems to inspire him the most. I think it also calculates calories saved. I set it up on my phone and quickly realized I didn't care. I'm more interested just in confirming I have the mental wherewithal.
What’s it called? That kind of motivation may work for me.

Nvm. I just took the necessary 3 seconds to search for it. Thanks for the idea! 👍🏼

If you drink beer try Stella NA. When I crave a beer I have 2 of these. Best NA I have found.

I don't drink beer but will let Mr. krista know as he's been in the market for good NA beer. I tried a non-alcoholic wine a while back and it was gross. They're pretty expensive considering they're crap, so I'm not sure I want to try another, but there are a dozen or so at the grocery down the hill so might grab one sometime.

Doing OK here on Day Five, but my sleep continues to be completely whacked. Every night, it takes me 3-4 hours to fall asleep. Really looking forward to turning the corner into that "you get better quality sleep when you don't drink" thing. I'm starting to think that's just a myth propagated by Big Mocktail.

What’s it called? That kind of motivation may work for me.

Nvm. I just took the necessary 3 seconds to search for it. Thanks for the idea! 👍🏼

He looked at several and I can't recall which he settled on, but it sounds like you found one you like. Hope it helps! :thumbup:

I don't drink beer but will let Mr. krista know as he's been in the market for good NA beer. I tried a non-alcoholic wine a while back and it was gross. They're pretty expensive considering they're crap, so I'm not sure I want to try another, but there are a dozen or so at the grocery down the hill so might grab one sometime.

Doing OK here on Day Five, but my sleep continues to be completely whacked. Every night, it takes me 3-4 hours to fall asleep. Really looking forward to turning the corner into that "you get better quality sleep when you don't drink" thing. I'm starting to think that's just a myth propagated by Big Mocktail.

:lmao: at the bolded

Guinness makes a very good NA beer too - tastes like the real thing.

Athletic Brewing makes the best NA beers that I've tried. Clausthaler would be 2nd. Followed by St Pauli.....I have not tried the Guinness one. Might have to give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread