What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (2 Viewers)

Didn't know there was a thread. Mrs. O and I have given up booze since the SB. Plan to go about a month then slowly work in weekends.

Really missing it some nights. But actually feeling better in the mornings. Much as I hate to admit it.

We usually drink at least a bottle of wine a night and that's usually after I have a beer or two on my commute home and I often cap off the night with a scotch. Through this all I eat total garbage while sitting on the couch. Giving up booze seems to be the answer. We'll see if old Oats can drop a few this way.
Not sure if you're being serious but this definitely makes me feel better about my alcohol consumption.

Didn't know there was a thread. Mrs. O and I have given up booze since the SB. Plan to go about a month then slowly work in weekends.

Really missing it some nights. But actually feeling better in the mornings. Much as I hate to admit it.

We usually drink at least a bottle of wine a night and that's usually after I have a beer or two on my commute home and I often cap off the night with a scotch. Through this all I eat total garbage while sitting on the couch. Giving up booze seems to be the answer. We'll see if old Oats can drop a few this way.
:thumbup: GLGBO.

:thumbup: GLGBO.
Thx GBK4! You too.

Not sure if you're being serious but this definitely makes me feel better about my alcohol consumption.
Dead serious. I've come to the realization it's the sole reason for my weight gain and bloating. And probably contributes to my feeling like crap so often. Some nights are worse than this, some nights not as bad. But an average of 4-5 drinks per night, every single night, is pretty standard for me. It doesn't help that my wife is a drinker too. We are bad influences on each other. 1-2 bottles of red between us happens often.

Compound this with weekends. My wife and I love day drinking. We met and started our relationship in Brooklyn having long Saturday and Sunday brunches getting hammered. It's one of our favorite things to do. We don't get hammered at brunch like in the old days, by we'll have a couple of drinks, I'll carry that over when we get home and drink some beers over the course of the afternoon and then inevitably family comes over or something and the wine and scotch come out.

In addition to the weight gain issue and I'm sure all the crappy effects on my general health, not drinking will probably save us a TON of money. The wine is the worst. 15-30 bucks a bottle on average. 1-2 of those every single night??? Oof. No wonder I'm always broke.

Fingers crossed. Leaving on my first business trip right now since starting this. This will be the first time I've traveled in probably 20 years and not had a drop. I'm committed in solidarity win Mrs O on this or I otherwise would likely cheat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've been drink free since the Super Bowl (although I did uncharacteristically crave ginger ale last night :mellow: ). At least for me, the real test will be Friday evening when I usually need to drink to unwind. If I can make it through Friday, the sky is the limit.

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Limp Ditka said:
Super Bowl Sunday was spent wrecking myself until 4AM on Monday.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even think of having a drink over the next couple of days.

Putting in a conscious effort to do this seems to have changed the dynamics significantly. I'm sitting on the train, at 7:45 in the morning, thinking about a ### ####ed drink

:wall:
:lmao: I think the focus on it is getting to me a little today, too. I was just thinking I'd really like a glass of wine, and it's 1 p.m. here. This feeling doesn't usually hit until 5ish. Hang in there, GB.
Me too. :bag:

So I got 6 bottles of beer in the fridge. I'm going to go with a modified version and these are the only 6 beers I get this month. Cause you know ones they are cold you can't take them back out. :shrug:

I don't drink everyday but I do enjoy a good beer a few times a week.
Wooderson, you are welcome to stay here but if you don't want to follow the rules I'm sure there are a lot of other threads out there for you.

I have a cocktail party tonight with my new company. Not drinking is not only going to be difficult, it will be very noticeable and probably a sign that something is amiss. I'm going to remain vigilante however considering how many people are now following my lead.

I've gotten up early (for me) at 6am and lifted and used the elliptical the last three days. So I've gotten my workout in, but now I'm tired and hungry during the day. Oh, and I don't get the fun of drinking at night.

Thanks a lot SLB!

(worst idea ever)

First real test will be Saturday night. Poker night among a few beer aficionados.

Did I happen to mention that I love beer?

So I got 6 bottles of beer in the fridge. I'm going to go with a modified version and these are the only 6 beers I get this month. Cause you know ones they are cold you can't take them back out. :shrug:

Ok so you normally have a beer a few times a week. You have 6 beers left to last you the rest of this short month. Sounds like you're not really making any sacrifices here, guy.

I've gotten up early (for me) at 6am and lifted and used the elliptical the last three days. So I've gotten my workout in, but now I'm tired and hungry during the day. Oh, and I don't get the fun of drinking at night.

Thanks a lot SLB!

(worst idea ever)
:thumbup:

First real test will be Saturday night. Poker night among a few beer aficionados.

Did I happen to mention that I love beer?
We all do GB. We all do.

Not to get all "12 steppy" on it, but I found this when I cut out booze for 6 weeks last year. It's an article a day for 30 days to tell you what to expect and tips to help grind through it.

http://oade.nd.edu/educate-yourself-alcohol/taking-a-break-from-alcohol-suggestions-for-30-days/

I'd say that some of them helped get past the cravings. GL.
Isn't this geared towards college students?

ETA-- and for the record, not a chance in hell I would consider this experiment if I were still in college.

Not to get all "12 steppy" on it, but I found this when I cut out booze for 6 weeks last year. It's an article a day for 30 days to tell you what to expect and tips to help grind through it.

http://oade.nd.edu/educate-yourself-alcohol/taking-a-break-from-alcohol-suggestions-for-30-days/

Other than the tolerance thing which is spot on, the rest can lick my balls.
:goodposting:

I, for one, don't like the tone it uses when talking about waking up in the back of a stranger's car. It makes it sound like its a bad thing.

To be fair, I still act like I'm 18

ETA-- and for the record, not a chance in hell I would consider this experiment if I were still in college.
Obviously. It's on a college website. I found it last year and read it the first 30 days. I don't know how much or little it helped. Just figured I'd pass it along seeing how some folks were already crawling at the walls on Day 3 here.

How's everyone doing today? I'm doing surprisingly well, not craving a drink at all so far.

What has gotten to me though is craving a soda. I've also decided to reduce my soda intake as well this month and that seems to be harder than kicking the booze.

i've told you for years that no booze alone for 45-60 days would rid you at least 15lbs. absolutely no other changes necessary

Dead serious. I've come to the realization it's the sole reason for my weight gain and bloating. And probably contributes to my feeling like crap so often.Some nights are worse than this, some nights not as bad. But an average of 4-5 drinks per night, every single night, is pretty standard for me. It doesn't help that my wife is a drinker too. We are bad influences on each other. 1-2 bottles of red between us happens often.

Compound this with weekends. My wife and I love day drinking. We met and started our relationship in Brooklyn having long Saturday and Sunday brunches getting hammered. It's one of our favorite things to do. We don't get hammered at brunch like in the old days, by we'll have a couple of drinks, I'll carry that over when we get home and drink some beers over the course of the afternoon and then inevitably family comes over or something and the wine and scotch come out.

In addition to the weight gain issue and I'm sure all the crappy effects on my general health, not drinking will probably save us a TON of money. The wine is the worst. 15-30 bucks a bottle on average. 1-2 of those every single night??? Oof. No wonder I'm always broke.

Fingers crossed. Leaving on my first business trip right now since starting this. This will be the first time I've traveled in probably 20 years and not had a drop. I'm committed in solidarity win Mrs O on this or I otherwise would likely cheat.
you can do it!! our wives sound similar and we too love brunch. the wife already fell off and drank a bottle of wine last night. :lmao:

How's everyone doing today? I'm doing surprisingly well, not craving a drink at all so far.

What has gotten to me though is craving a soda. I've also decided to reduce my soda intake as well this month and that seems to be harder than kicking the booze.
Mr. krista tried to give up soda and told me that it was much harder than when he gave up smoking. Evil, evil stuff, that soda is.

As for me, still hanging in there, though we got some news today that we really should be celebrating with some wine or champagne, which is killing me. Mr. krista, who did not sign on for this thing, is drinking beer in celebration. :(

Mr. krista tried to give up soda and told me that it was much harder than when he gave up smoking. Evil, evil stuff, that soda is.

As for me, still hanging in there, though we got some news today that we really should be celebrating with some wine or champagne, which is killing me. Mr. krista, who did not sign on for this thing, is drinking beer in celebration. :(
New house?

New house?
:lmao: Good guess. After 18 months of my forbidding Mr. krista from getting a job because it would interfere with our fun, he interviewed for one today and got it. :thumbup:

I think I'll be able to do this mainly because I don't want to disappoint any of you. If it were just a promise to my wife, I don't think I would make it.

Yesterday was difficult being around friends drinking but then I started telling myself my diet coke was full of jack. Fk I wish it was full of jack :wall:

I may take up smoking just to get through this! Although the waist already feels slimmer without all the bloat.

Dead serious. I've come to the realization it's the sole reason for my weight gain and bloating. And probably contributes to my feeling like crap so often.Some nights are worse than this, some nights not as bad. But an average of 4-5 drinks per night, every single night, is pretty standard for me. It doesn't help that my wife is a drinker too. We are bad influences on each other. 1-2 bottles of red between us happens often.

Absolutely not judging GB (seriously, congrats on doing this) but do you consider yourself an alcoholic?

I'm not a big drinker at all, but to me, 4 or 5 drinks every single night is a lot of booze.

Just curious what your mind set is here. Is this solely because of the weight gain or do you think you have at least a minor problem.

Again, not judging. We all have our vices.

Ok so you normally have a beer a few times a week. You have 6 beers left to last you the rest of this short month. Sounds like you're not really making any sacrifices here, guy.
I thought about that later. The not making much of a sacrifice. Your right I wouldnt be. Which got me thinking why should I give it up as I seem to have a good handle on it.

So I'm just going to play it as usual.

Now I would like to apologize to anyone that is taking sober February serous. I'll be honest I thought it was more just a see if you can do it thing. Kinda like a push-up challenge or something.

If you think you have a drinking problem. I serious one not one where you just try to go a month without it. If you have a problem please get real help. You are going to need more support then a football board and one month to beat it. I've seen alcoholism effect many people close to me. If you have a problem and are going to try to stay sober for a month why not go the whole way and get professional help. Give yourself the best chance of beating it.

Good luck to all.

Absolutely not judging GB (seriously, congrats on doing this) but do you consider yourself an alcoholic?

I'm not a big drinker at all, but to me, 4 or 5 drinks every single night is a lot of booze.

Just curious what your mind set is here. Is this solely because of the weight gain or do you think you have at least a minor problem.

Again, not judging. We all have our vices.
Fair question GB. Never considered myself an alcoholic because never "needed" it, just "enjoyed" it. Then again where's the line?Probably by any definition in any AA manual or other litmus test, I bet we are. I don't think we ever in a million years would have considered it a "problem." More like just good clean fun. Maybe that's our bad.

With the number of drinkers we have on this board I was actually expecting people to LOL at me even feeling like that was a lot. I think it's just the consistency of doing it every single night long term that started to become an issue.

I think the weight gain and general overall feeling like garbage are what made me want to do it. And there are so many other benefits. Sleep better. Save money. And I can't tell you how many times I had to get up in court with a raging hangover. Just did it two weeks ago with a major, major client looking on. So, so stupid. It worked out alright, but could I have been better? Probably.

Anyway, thanks for this question. Maybe it is something we need to take even more seriously than we are.

When I did this last year I started the Monday after Super Bowl and wanted to go 6 weeks. I think I went deep into March. I had a date, showed up early at the bar and while waiting for her I had a drink. Had another at dinner and slowly eased back into my usual pattern. Like Otis, it's a few glasses of wine after work to "unwind".

This year, I plan on the 6 weeks (just over 1 week left) and then I'll take it from there. Like Otis, I know the weight gains have a lot to do with the drinking. I lost -30 between Jan and May last year, then slowly put all 30 back from Memorial Day through the end of the year when I started back on the vino. In the 5+ weeks this year, I'm down -21 as of today with eliptical workouts 5 days a week on top of it. Want to get past the Memorial Day hump and not put it back this time. We'll see how it goes.

Otis said:
the moops said:
The Super Bowl was 4 days ago :lmao:
:lmao:

Feels like so much longer.
Oh, I know good buddy. I tried this last year. I made it three days. I was walking to my train and passed a liquor store. There were giving out free samples of Makers. I ended up buying a bottle and probably had half of it on my train ride home.

Saw my first side benefit last night. Went out to dinner and the bill, including tip, was under $50. It wasn't until later that I realized how cheap it was, and that it was because I had no alcohol and Mr. krista had only one beer. :thumbup:

SLB, is your insomnia worse when you do this thing? I'm finding that my always-terrible sleep is even worse. Surprised to read a couple of people saying they are sleeping better without the booze.

I have a very lonely bottle of rum just sitting here. Who's going to spend time with it tonight? My wife? I don't think so :sadbanana:

Saw my first side benefit last night. Went out to dinner and the bill, including tip, was under $50. It wasn't until later that I realized how cheap it was, and that it was because I had no alcohol and Mr. krista had only one beer. :thumbup:

SLB, is your insomnia worse when you do this thing? I'm finding that my always-terrible sleep is even worse. Surprised to read a couple of people saying they are sleeping better without the booze.
I plan on going on to dinner a little more often because of this too.

I've been working a ridiculous amount of hours (for me) so I'm pretty exhausted at the end of the day. Plus the dental appliance I bought over the summer helps me sleep SO much better. I highly suggest getting one, GB.

Users who are viewing this thread