What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (2 Viewers)

What happened to this thread? Petty fights, seriousness, blech. Y'all should have a drink to lighten up. ;)

I had the most miserable hiking day I've ever had. Just really wanted/needed to get out, so despite torrential downpours we insanely did a hike in the North Cascades. A trail that turned into a rushing creek with dozens of waterfalls left us soaked absolutely head to toe--waterproof boots and gaiters don't really work if the water goes knee-high and comes into the boots from the top. Cold, soaked, exhausted, and pissed off I told Mr. krista that if today didn't cause me to drink, nothing would. I didn't.

Heading out for two more hikes tomorrow, rain or...well, rain. Might as well.
Good stuff K4, keep on keepin on.

What happened to this thread? Petty fights, seriousness, blech. Y'all should have a drink to lighten up. ;)

I had the most miserable hiking day I've ever had. Just really wanted/needed to get out, so despite torrential downpours we insanely did a hike in the North Cascades. A trail that turned into a rushing creek with dozens of waterfalls left us soaked absolutely head to toe--waterproof boots and gaiters don't really work if the water goes knee-high and comes into the boots from the top. Cold, soaked, exhausted, and pissed off I told Mr. krista that if today didn't cause me to drink, nothing would. I didn't.

:goodposting:

This thread has made it 7 years without it, come on people. Good luck Tso, that sounds freaking horrible.

I am going to do Sober February in March. That's right, during the entire month of March, I will not drink in February.
I had a dream last night you and me were playing hockey in the NHL (I'm not a big hockey fan) and you got a hat trick. Joe B said he would give you 5 grand if you got a HT but he stiffed you.

:thumbup:

Seeing someone apologize on the internet is rare.
:goodposting: :thumbup:

Wooderson, since you've been around since 2003 I thought you would recognize how Joe would give time outs to people (when this place was a real hard G rating) for using salty language and then post something like "(screename) there are certain rules on this board and if you don't wish to follow them, I'm sure there's another board out there for you somewhere".

My energy level is off the charts.

Played guitar for about 45 minutes

Cleaned the main floor for two hours

Made the boy breakfast, and cleaned everything up when done

Exercised for 45 minutes

Played guitar for another 45 minutes

Now I'm pacing around wondering what to do with myself.
So I conquer the world this afternoon. OK, not THE world, but at least mine. Even got the dog walk in, which ended up being about 2 miles.

Then.......

First real test will be Saturday night. Poker night among a few beer aficionados.

Did I happen to mention that I love beer?
Made it through the poker game. Soooo much beer talk. The beer aficionados were out in force, the usual 5 or 6 suspects, plus 2 new ones. They all brought various samples of great beers, even had one guy bring a home brew he made. Now I don't usually drink much when I gamble, lots of bad history there,but lots of temptation.Oh, and I rocked. Focused, had great reads, a few stone cold bluffs. Best I have played I years. Cashed in all 3 tourneys we played, 3rd place in first 2, decided to split top 2 in the last one

Is there anything sober Limp can't do?
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm going to my parents for a BBQ this afternoon, this will be another tester. Particularly since it is supposed to be 60+ degrees again.

Way to go guys, I'm really proud of you. Having others doing this makes it much easier than the early days of going at it alone. :thumbup:

This thread has made it 7 years without it, come on people. Good luck Tso, that sounds freaking horrible.
LOL! It's not as bad as it sounds. But it's not something I would have done voluntarily either.

Way to go guys, I'm really proud of you. Having others doing this makes it much easier than the early days of going at it alone. :thumbup:
:hifive:

I'm about to leave town for a trial for several weeks. Being out of my home element and being so busy with work may make finishing out the month a little easier. And in any event had a long heart to heart with Mrs. O and we are fully committed to this, I wouldn't let her down.

I'm actually thinking this may be a life altering month. We're deciding that all the drinking we do is sort of pointless.

Keep on keepin' on here gang.

All this arguing happens when you guys turn away from sweet booze.
Oh my god your right. I had a beer last night then realized I was posting that crap. It was my first beer in 5 days.

I didn't think I needed beer but maybe I do so I can chill and be cool.

Alright alright ...

One of my dreams last night was that I caved and had a tall glass of jack and coke. Thank God I woke up from that nightmare. :lmao:

Still going strong. Made it through this first weekend where I would normally had a few drinks after hearing of a couple of cases of bad news of people close to me having lost family members, and also a social gathering yesterday where there was lots of drinking. Instead of having any of the 20 or so open bottles of wine, I stuck to some Dr Pepper, and actually it wasn't that hard. I think I could get used to this, sure do feel a whole lot better already.

not having any real issues, just annoyed. i'm gonna stick it out, but probably won't do complete abstinence again. i work too ####### hard not to have a beer or what not, especially on my day off(today) they are very rare, 4 so far this year.

not having any real issues, just annoyed. i'm gonna stick it out, but probably won't do complete abstinence again. i work too ####### hard not to have a beer or what not, especially on my day off(today) they are very rare, 4 so far this year.
You're in the restaurant biz, right? I think that would be particularly hard.

My next test will be Valentines date night. My first time out for dinner alone with the wife since my 7 month old was born. I'm going with the excuse that I have to drive us back home.

You're in the restaurant biz, right? I think that would be particularly hard.
correct, it is. this week, particularly so. new POS system, that sucks! no training on it. chef having an absolute aneurysm every night because of it and the errors. awful, awful week

Went from Christmas eve 2013 to late Jan. '15 with total abstinence. Then saw my urologist and he said some beer might help move a kidney stone for me. Tonight is the third time I've drank since then. Might be the last. I felt so much better every day when I had stopped.

I was a 5 or 6 beer/night, more on weekends guy for a lot of years. Only times I didn't have any was if I was sick, and that only happened once a year or so. Then in October 2013 I had some heart problems and had to stop cold turkey. I was terrified. I went three months without a drop until I got my heart squared away. Missed it like a mother ####er at first but got through it, really had no choice. Eventually I eased back into having a few here and there. These days I have a few on weekends, none during the week, and an occasional binge night. I am pleasantly surprised that I was able to transition from a borderline (full on?) drunk to a responsible drinker. I've lost close to 30 lbs, sleep better, feel great when I wake up, exercise a ton and am much less of a ##### in general. Really wish I'd not consumed so many pointless beers over the years but it is what it is. Loving the new moderation routine.

I was a 5 or 6 beer/night, more on weekends guy for a lot of years. Only times I didn't have any was if I was sick, and that only happened once a year or so. Then in October 2013 I had some heart problems and had to stop cold turkey. I was terrified. I went three months without a drop until I got my heart squared away. Missed it like a mother ####er at first but got through it, really had no choice. Eventually I eased back into having a few here and there. These days I have a few on weekends, none during the week, and an occasional binge night. I am pleasantly surprised that I was able to transition from a borderline (full on?) drunk to a responsible drinker. I've lost close to 30 lbs, sleep better, feel great when I wake up, exercise a ton and am much less of a ##### in general. Really wish I'd not consumed so many pointless beers over the years but it is what it is. Loving the new moderation routine.
Nice. So there is hope.

Are people substituting booze with something else? Although I've been going to the gym more and eating a few more salads for lunch, I'm finding myself needing dessert every single night. I've had a bowl of ice cream (with chocolate chips) 3 straight nights now.

Are people substituting booze with something else? Although I've been going to the gym more and eating a few more salads for lunch, I'm finding myself needing dessert every single night. I've had a bowl of ice cream (with chocolate chips) 3 straight nights now.
Same here. Never been a big dessert guy, but I have been hitting the freezer almost every night for ice cream since I stopped drinking.

Nice. So there is hope.
:goodposting: It's nice to see you around too, GBNigel.

Same here. Never been a big dessert guy, but I have been hitting the freezer almost every night for ice cream since I stopped drinking.
I ate THREE candy bars Sunday night (see Snickers thread) and had a bowl on Cap N Crunch last night. I bought some honey roasted almonds today so at least I'll get some health benefits out of it.

Same here on the sweets. Not usually a big sweets person, but I'm having 3-4 Girl Scout cookies per day.

I ate THREE candy bars Sunday night (see Snickers thread) and had a bowl on Cap N Crunch last night. I bought some honey roasted almonds today so at least I'll get some health benefits out of it.
it's the only time i really crave sweets. i didn't really drink for a year, it lessened after about 6 months for me. but i was still eating way more sweets than when i was drinking a lot. :shrug:

Same here with the sweets craving. I swear I had not eaten desert in decades, never wanted it. Preferred salt over sweets every time. complete opposite now, turned on a dime when I drastically reduced booze.

It's funny that Tuesday last week I was dying for a drink because I knew in my mind I couldn't have one. Now that I broke down and had a few (ok alot) this weekend the desire for one during the week is gone.

I've been having a touch of sweets, but the trick we've focused on is flavored seltzer. Some of them aren't half bad. You're hydrating the whole time and trick yourself into thinking you're having some kind of (albeit girly) cocktail.

I've been having a touch of sweets, but the trick we've focused on is flavored seltzer. Some of them aren't half bad. You're hydrating the whole time and trick yourself into thinking you're having some kind of (albeit girly) cocktail.
its like you have me on ignore. :slb:

Still sober.

Today I'm not having any cravings, just miss having a beer. Just the taste, the consistency, the carbonation, the bite of a nice IPA... There's just nothing like it and I'm trying to think of something that could replace that.

I see lots of people start craving sweets, I haven't started that, as that seems completely opposite of the bitter hop flavor that I miss.

Still sober.

Today I'm not having any cravings, just miss having a beer. Just the taste, the consistency, the carbonation, the bite of a nice IPA... There's just nothing like it and I'm trying to think of something that could replace that.

I see lots of people start craving sweets, I haven't started that, as that seems completely opposite of the bitter hop flavor that I miss.
Yeah, I can't really understand the sweetness craving. I don't like wines with any sweetness at all, but cutting it out has made me want cookies.

I've also been eating a lot of grapes. Seems like the natural substitute. :lol:

Had my biggest test yet tonight. I didn't want to go a month without hitting our favorite local dive bar; the bartenders would wonder what was going on. Not a lot to do at the ol' dive bar without drinking, but I watched Mr. krista drink some beer and ate some popcorn. :shrug:

I haven't lost any weight but I'm not really looking to lose weight. I just want to stay where I'm at. Anyways, eating an ice cream sundae every night this week is going to prevent me from losing weight any time soon.

I started on the 3rd, but haven't had a drop since. I have been drinking at least a six-pack a day and often many more for a looong time and thought it would be tough, and it is, but not as tough as I figured on.

I feel better in the mornings like most others report but the weight loss hasn't really happened yet (no exercise to speak of, though).

The thing I'm noticing is I fall asleep quicker than I thought I would and am sleeping really well. And vivid dreams. Maybe the dreams were there all along and I just didn't remember them in the morning :shrug: . All in all I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

I started on the 3rd, but haven't had a drop since. I have been drinking at least a six-pack a day and often many more for a looong time and thought it would be tough, and it is, but not as tough as I figured on.

I feel better in the mornings like most others report but the weight loss hasn't really happened yet (no exercise to speak of, though).

The thing I'm noticing is I fall asleep quicker than I thought I would and am sleeping really well. And vivid dreams. Maybe the dreams were there all along and I just didn't remember them in the morning :shrug: . All in all I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

A terrible reminder that there must be something very, very, wrong with me.

Users who are viewing this thread