Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Is the FFA more liberal or more conservative

Is the FFA more liberal or more conservative?  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

to those of you that think this collection of thirtysomething, white, married, upper-middle class, computer professionals leans left, I don't think you have a good bead on what the country as a whole feels.

Who you calling a computer professional? :lmao:

to those of you that think this collection of thirtysomething, white, married, upper-middle class, computer professionals leans left, I don't think you have a good bead on what the country as a whole feels.

Why don't you tell us what the country as a whole feels?

It's early, but so far "I lean left" has a 12-7 advantage over "I lean right."

1) sample size
2) selection bias (those in this thread knew from the title what the poll was)
3) The question doesn't address how liberal/conservative the board is, but rather how liberal/conservative the board perceives itself. If you wanted to know how good looking the board was, surely you wouldn't put up a poll asking "how good looking are you on a scale of 1 to 10?" and trust the results.

But I think we have covered this before and the board is conservative. Ask Joe B.

BTW, I forgot to mention before that we're all dudes.

What I think would be a neat exercise is for a thread starter to just type his/her name in the subject body. Then the next person to reply put his/her name to the right of the previous poster, if he thinks he is more conservative, or to the left he think he is more liberal, and so on.

That would be interesting but people would wildly disagree. I'm basically perceived as the second coming of Karl Marx by some around here, but to my college friends, I'm a bit on the conservative side. Objectively, I would rate myself a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 was ultra-lberal and 10 was ultra-conservative.

Not just compared to the Shark Pool or the Assistant Coach Forum -- but compared to the rest of the whole world United States. What's your verdict?

I think the best measurement was a poll on legalization of drugs. The board was overwhelmingly in favor of legalization, which to me, signifies a very liberal bias amongst the users. Edited by General Malaise

What I think would be a neat exercise is for a thread starter to just type his/her name in the subject body. Then the next person to reply put his/her name to the right of the previous poster, if he thinks he is more conservative, or to the left he think he is more liberal, and so on.

That would be interesting but people would wildly disagree. I'm basically perceived as the second coming of Karl Marx by some around here, but to my college friends, I'm a bit on the conservative side. Objectively, I would rate myself a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 was ultra-lberal and 10 was ultra-conservative.

We'd all have to assume we are all being objective and honest. Is that possible? Who knows?

Not just compared to the Shark Pool or the Assistant Coach Forum -- but compared to the rest of the whole world United States. What's your verdict?

I think the best measurement was a poll on legalization of drugs. The board was overwhelmingly in favor of legalization, which to me, signifies a very liberal bias amongst the users.

You can't look at it that way. The board is very libertarian. On issues of economics, it tends to lean right. On social issues, it tends to lean left.

The board is less religious than the rest of the country.

The board liked Ron Paul much more than the rest of the country.

The board supports the Fair Tax much more than the rest of the country.

most of the people I know think I'm a crazy, liberal whackjob...but on here I'm considered a crazy, conservative whackjob...;)

I think the most vocal posters are liberal... with a few exceptions...but I think the majority of posters are conservative...which I think is a pretty accurate representation of the country on the whole...

More registered Dems than Republicans I think.Then there's the fact that although people vote about a 50/50 split GOP/Dem, when asked about issues one by one, people tend to favor the "liberal" stance on most issues.

most of the people I know think I'm a crazy, liberal whackjob...but on here I'm considered a crazy, conservative whackjob...;)

at least we all agree you're a crazy whackjob. ;)

I think the best measurement was a poll on legalization of drugs. The board was overwhelmingly in favor of legalization, which to me, signifies a very liberal bias amongst the users.

I think that indicates rather that this board is fairly libertarian. There's not much of an outcry here for government to increase its involvement in our daily lives, a staple desire expressed on the really liberal boards.

You can't look at it that way. The board is very libertarian. On issues of economics, it tends to lean right. On social issues, it tends to lean left.

I would agree with this. This group leans libertarian more than anything else.

Don't forget doing drugs and gambling on sports. ;)

most of the people I know think I'm a crazy, liberal whackjob...but on here I'm considered a crazy, conservative whackjob...:D

at least we all agree you're a crazy whackjob. ;)

yeah, I almost made the same joke... something like "maybe I should work on the crazy whackjob part.... ;) "but decided I'd let you do it instead...good job ;) :D

Don't forget doing drugs and gambling on sports. :rolleyes:

How could I forget? Right at this moment I...

:whistle:

I think the most vocal posters are liberal... with a few exceptions...but I think the majority of posters are conservative...which I think is a pretty accurate representation of the country on the whole...

More registered Dems than Republicans I think.Then there's the fact that although people vote about a 50/50 split GOP/Dem, when asked about issues one by one, people tend to favor the "liberal" stance on most issues.

Link?

most of the people I know think I'm a crazy, liberal whackjob...but on here I'm considered a crazy, conservative whackjob...:rolleyes:

What kind of views do you hold that make the people you know think you're a crazy liberal whackjob?

most of the people I know think I'm a crazy, liberal whackjob...but on here I'm considered a crazy, conservative whackjob...:rolleyes:

What kind of views do you hold that make the people you know think you're a crazy liberal whackjob?

you don't know the people who are the flavor or religion I am very well do you?See, rather than be against abortion, I think we just need to try and minimize the # of them there are...rather than make all drugs illegal, I think we should make them legal, tax the heck out of them, and try and get people to stop using them...rather than stone gay people (ok, I don't actually know anyone who wants to do this), I would rather just let them choose to do something that I think is morally wrong. I respect thier decision as a human, but as a follower of God if asked I would tell them that I feel God has stated that it is immoral.hmm.... what else?just stuff like that... I think we should be accepting of people and love people and help people whenever possible rather than just shove bible verses down thier throats until they can't stand us...:whistle:its hard to explain. But most of the positions you think I'm a conservative whackjob because of, they think I'm a liberal whackjob for, too... sucks being in the middle...

Don't forget doing drugs and gambling on sports. :rolleyes:

How could I forget? Right at this moment I...

:whistle:

:lmao:
Actually, I was thinking of Arsenal of Doom's two interesting polls today where he asked conservatives and liberals to name their most important issues. If you read the comments in both threads, you'll find a surprising amount of similarities, which leads me to believe that this forum is overall pretty moderate. If it leans any way at all, it's probably rightward since we're almost all aging white guys who like sports.

How does the U.S. lean? I'd say it's slightly conservative in the sense that the term has come to be used today, but that's just a feeling. The older I get the more I realize people really do vote their pocket book first and their ideologies second - and it seems like most have come to consider the conservative bent more positive in that area.

you don't know the people who are the flavor or religion I am very well do you?

Ummm . . . . what?Do Catholics taste like Almond Praline or something?

it sounded good in my head before I typed it... loland I have no clue what catholics taste like...

:mellow: I thought the "flavor" part was a pretty normal and standard metaphor.BTW, catholics taste like guilt.

Ummm . . . . what?Do Catholics taste like Almond Praline or something?

it sounded good in my head before I typed it... loland I have no clue what catholics taste like...

:mellow: I thought the "flavor" part was a pretty normal and standard metaphor.BTW, catholics taste like guilt.

that's what I thought, too... maybe it isn't for everyone... :lmao:guilt, huh? That probably isn't very good...

I think overall the board kind of balances out. Now, I may not be objective with this, but I really do think that the hardcore conservatives on the board are WAY more married to their ideology than the hardcore liberals. The spectrum just goes more easily to the far right than it does to the far left on the board and I think that's pretty representative of America as a whole as well. I know the conservatives like to go on and on about the radical left this and that, but they (conservatives) have succeeded in moving the pivot far enough to the right that they drug everyone with them. MoveOn.org has to pass for the radical left these days. Oooh! We even had to start going by progressives for awhile. But now we're bringing sexy (liberal) back!

Ummm . . . . what?

Do Catholics taste like Almond Praline or something?

it sounded good in my head before I typed it... lol

and I have no clue what catholics taste like...

That phrase sounded right to you in your head and there aren't typos there?

I'm not trying to offend, I'm just :mellow:

Ummm . . . . what?

I'm not trying to offend, I'm just :mellow:

sorry, didn't notice the "r" instead of an "f"...

didn't know Smoo was back...

I think the board has leaned right at some points and left at others. I know that in the 2 years after 9/11, it seemed to me that anyone who wasn't completely on board with what the Bushies were doing was painted as a communist who hated America. Now that Bush's ineptitude is readily apparent to all but the most rabid, I think it has gone back towards the left. Whether it's left of center, it's hard to say - but it's certainly more left than it used to be. I think the same thing is true of our society as a whole.

Ummm . . . . what?

I'm not trying to offend, I'm just :thumbup:

These two statements are incongruous with a Smoo posting.

I am not Smoo.

And you meant to use the word "flavor?" Just admit you typed a screwed up passage that looks funny. It's not that hard to admit you erred - just go ahead and do it.

Ummm . . . . what?

I'm not trying to offend, I'm just :thumbup:

These two statements are incongruous with a Smoo posting.

I am not Smoo.

And you meant to use the word "flavor?" Just admit you typed a screwed up passage that looks funny. It's not that hard to admit you erred - just go ahead and do it.

the only thing I see wrong is I typed "flavor or religion" instead of "flavor of religion"...

sounds like something smoo (spelling/grammer snob, if I remember right) would note...

2 most common answers:

I lean to the left, but I think the FFA leans to the right. [ 26 ] ** [24.53%]...I lean to the right, but I think the FFA leans to the left. [ 29 ] ** [27.36%]

Interesting results here. Not totally surprising but funny how the mind works.

I've been changing my sig every couple days recently. My current sig ("I assign higher credibility to an institution if liberals accuse it of being conservative and conservatives accuse it of being liberal." -- Alex F. Bokov) was chosen before I had the inclination to start this thread, but I expected the results to jibe with it perfectly. And they do.

I've been changing my sig every couple days recently. My current sig ("I assign higher credibility to an institution if liberals accuse it of being conservative and conservatives accuse it of being liberal." -- Alex F. Bokov) was chosen before I had the inclination to start this thread, but I expected the results to jibe with it perfectly. And they do.

does that mean you view me as credible??cool... :shrug:

Or there are a bunch of stoners who screw off at work and post on message boards.