Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Songs most ahead of their times

OK, I suspect this topic has come up before but hopefully it's past the :honda: statute of limitations.

My nomination is

Guys, listen to this. It is from 1966 and, in my opinion, is still well ahead of its time. Or, maybe I'm just wrong and overrating the effects of psychedelic drugs. What do you think?

OK, I suspect this topic has come up before but hopefully it's past the :honda: statute of limitations.

My nomination is

Guys, listen to this. It is from 1966 and, in my opinion, is still well ahead of its time. Or, maybe I'm just wrong and overrating the effects of psychedelic drugs. What do you think?

Meh. The Phil Collins version is lightyears better.

My nomination is

No question about it.

My nomination: Byrds - 8 Miles High

My nomination is

First Song I thought of.

My nomination is

I don't remember hearing that version. Besides the original, I also like the Mission U.K. cover. Unfortunately there is no good youtube link for that one.

"I Will Follow" U2

When it was released in 1980 nobody was doing anything like it. It's one of those songs that you can't pigeon-hole.

I've never understood the love for this song. And I'm a U2 fan that would even consider The Unforgettable Fire to be the album most ahead of its time.

"I Will Follow" U2

When it was released in 1980 nobody was doing anything like it. It's one of those songs that you can't pigeon-hole.

I've never understood the love for this song. And I'm a U2 fan that would even consider The Unforgettable Fire to be the album most ahead of its time.
I'd say Zooropa. In fact, I think Zooropa is STILL ahead of its time--15 years later.

My nomination is

I don't remember hearing that version. Besides the original, I also like the Mission U.K. cover. Unfortunately there is no good youtube link for that one.
the Chameleons have a good version of this on their album 'Strange Times'.

My nomination is

Yeah. Listen to it. It's a friggin techno song in 1966!!!!!!

I would also nominate Good Vibrations

Cant believe this has not been brought up yet.

Eddie and the Cruises, Season in Hell.

It got Eddie's label people amped. They wanted to drop him and then he disappeared off the face of the earth. (well Canada as we found out)

That was in the early 60s. Nothing else was like that back then. It was so ahead of the times that they had to hide the tapes in a junk yard.

Long Cool Woman-The Hollies

I'd be interested in your thoughts on why this one was ahead of its time.
It was first released in 1971 but didn't hit the charts until mid-1972. But I think the real reason this song is thought of as "ahead of its time" is because it was so radically different from anything The Hollies had done before. If CCR had recorded the exact same song, no one would have blinked.

Another song that was literally ahead of its time was Aerosmith's "Dream On" -- first released in 1973, but didn't become a hit single until 1976.

And while I'm at it, what about the first 3 AC/DC albums? They couldn't even get the first 2 albums released in America in 1974-75 and "Dirty Deeds" was ignored when it was first released in 1976. Probably 15-20 all time classic songs and the band couldn't get the time of day.

And while I'm at it, what about the first 3 AC/DC albums? They couldn't even get the first 2 albums released in America in 1974-75 and "Dirty Deeds" was ignored when it was first released in 1976. Probably 15-20 all time classic songs and the band couldn't get the time of day.

Not every classic song was ahead of its time. I can't think of one AC/DC song I would say was ahead of its time.

Long Cool Woman-The Hollies

I'd be interested in your thoughts on why this one was ahead of its time.
It was first released in 1971 but didn't hit the charts until mid-1972. But I think the real reason this song is thought of as "ahead of its time" is because it was so radically different from anything The Hollies had done before. If CCR had recorded the exact same song, no one would have blinked.
That's where I was going with my question. "Long Cool Woman" sounded exactly like what CCR had been doing for the previous 2+ years, so I was wondering why he thought the song was ahead of its time.

ETA: And it's not like the Hollies continued in this vein. Their other two big 70s hits were "He Ain't Heavy" (Elton John played piano on it & it sounds like an Elton song) & "Air That I Breathe" (another Elton-ish song). I can't recall them doing another CCR-type song.

Johnny B. Goode - Marvin Berry & the Starlighters featuring Marty McFly (1955)

This song (not the band <_< ) should have been mentioned at the top.You might also mention Jerry Lee Lewis' Great Balls of Fire.

Archived