Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Songs most ahead of their times

Also, FWIW, Bob Dylan's Tamborine Man (popularized by The Byrds) is generally considered the beginning of the transition from folk rock to real rock and roll. Dylan, in general, deserves the big props fro staying ahead of the curve through the 60s.

Long Cool Woman-The Hollies

I'd be interested in your thoughts on why this one was ahead of its time.
You could release this song today and it would be a hit. The begining guitar riffs were great. I can't think of a song before it that grabbed you from the start of the song like this one.

Long Cool Woman-The Hollies

I'd be interested in your thoughts on why this one was ahead of its time.
It was first released in 1971 but didn't hit the charts until mid-1972. But I think the real reason this song is thought of as "ahead of its time" is because it was so radically different from anything The Hollies had done before. If CCR had recorded the exact same song, no one would have blinked.
That's where I was going with my question. "Long Cool Woman" sounded exactly like what CCR had been doing for the previous 2+ years, so I was wondering why he thought the song was ahead of its time.

ETA: And it's not like the Hollies continued in this vein. Their other two big 70s hits were "He Ain't Heavy" (Elton John played piano on it & it sounds like an Elton song) & "Air That I Breathe" (another Elton-ish song). I can't recall them doing another CCR-type song.

I don't know. I love CCR and all but I can't think of a CCR song that rocks like "Long Cool Woman". Maybe "Travalin' Band"? It just sticks in my mind as one of the great songs with a cool begining. Others......."Honkey Tonk Woman" -Rolling Stones, "Money For Nothing"- Dire Straits...etc.

Archived