Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Computer help...

munga30

My new system build isn't going very well. In fact, it's not going at all. Assembled the parts and I get some signs of life: system fan runs, vid card fan runs, but CPU fan does not. It twitches a little, like it wants to move, but can't. Fan spins freely by hand, otherwise. No video or beeping from the mobo at all.

Any idea WTF is going on? Am I looking at replacing the mobo? Did I fry my cpu by running it 2-3 minutes without a cooling fan (heatsink was always in place)?

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS3L

memory: OCZ DDR2 PC6400 2x2GB

video: EVGA 8800GT 512MB

CPU: Intel E4500 Retail (standard heatsink and fan)

PSU: TT W0070RUC 430W

Disk: WD 250G HD Sata2 (just noticed this was sata2 does this matter?)

Optical: Samsung SH-203B DVD burner

My new system build isn't going very well. In fact, it's not going at all. Assembled the parts and I get some signs of life: system fan runs, vid card fan runs, but CPU fan does not. It twitches a little, like it wants to move, but can't. Fan spins freely by hand, otherwise. No video or beeping from the mobo at all.Any idea WTF is going on? Am I looking at replacing the mobo? Did I fry my cpu by running it 2-3 minutes without a cooling fan (heatsink was always in place)? mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS3Lmemory: OCZ DDR2 PC6400 2x2GBvideo: EVGA 8800GT 512MBCPU: Intel E4500 Retail (standard heatsink and fan)PSU: TT W0070RUC 430WDisk: WD 250G HD Sata2 (just noticed this was sata2 does this matter?)Optical: Samsung SH-203B DVD burner

could be any number of things. power supply could be bad. since it's not POSTing, i think you should probably return the items as faulty. don't tell anyone what you did to your cpu.

Unplug everything but the mainboard, cpu, cpu fan, video card, and all but 1 ram module to try to get it to post. Make sure ram and all cards are seated firmly. I don't think the cpu is fried, the CPU fan would probably run and it would beep. Is the CPU fan connected to the right lead? It kind of sounds like the CPU fan cooler to me, or something is not inserted all the way. Try swapping ram modules, video card, and cpu if you have extras. Make sure if there is a CPU power lead that it is connected as well.

Archived