What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (3 Viewers)

I was told the prep was just ok so I need to redo it in 5 years? That seems fishy to me. Did you guys get pictures of your colon? I was not expecting to be handed color photos of what I guess are the highlights.

No polyps so I guess that is good. They did mention external hemorrhoid.  I will give it some time before I google that.
Never heard of the timeline for a follow-up being prep-driven. That seems odd. I just had my second one (five years apart) and yes, the pics are normal. Mine were five years apart, as will be the next one, due to a polyp or two each time. They send those off for biopsy and all have been benign. But once they see a polyp, better safe than sorry, so five years rather than ten like my wife was given as a a follow-up timeframe.

Honestly, I put colonoscopy in the "no big deal" category. Worst part for me is the IV insertion. That bugger hurts going in and for a few minutes after. The prep is inconvenient but not that big of a deal. The procedure itself was nothing. They knock me out for an hour nap and then it's over.

Honestly, I put colonoscopy in the "no big deal" category. Worst part for me is the IV insertion.
 Same here.  I had mine done Wednesday and the IV needle hit a valve in the vein and blew it out.  It's still hurting a bit, and the whole back of my hand is a bruise.

Same here.  I had mine done Wednesday and the IV needle hit a valve in the vein and blew it out.  It's still hurting a bit, and the whole back of my hand is a bruise.
I HATE the back of the hand ones. Mine was in the crook of my arm opposite the elbow. A pea sized bruise is all that's left from Tuesday's exam.

PSA-

if you indulge in cannabis do not lie to your anesthesiologist about your usage. I woke up in the middle of a scope and it was extremely uncomfortable and I could feel it moving around inside me- it was like a Cronenberg horror movie. I yelled, "uh, I'm awake. Please knock me the #### back out."

Much later, I learned that propofol can be affected by cannabis use.

PSA-

if you indulge in cannabis do not lie to your anesthesiologist about your usage. I woke up in the middle of a scope and it was extremely uncomfortable and I could feel it moving around inside me- it was like a Cronenberg horror movie. I yelled, "uh, I'm awake. Please knock me the #### back out."

Much later, I learned that propofol can be affected by cannabis use.
Good to know…thank you!  going in for mine tomorrow.   :mellow:

Just had another. I still put it in the "no big deal" category. As long as you can get a morning appointment so you aren't starving all day waiting for the 3:00 slot. They knock me out, I get a nice hour long nap, then go home remembering none of it. Beats working for the day.

Just had another. I still put it in the "no big deal" category. As long as you can get a morning appointment so you aren't starving all day waiting for the 3:00 slot. They knock me out, I get a nice hour long nap, then go home remembering none of it. Beats working for the day.
Yeah, but how about that doctor?  What is it, four years of medical  school plus residency and who knows what special training.  All to look up people's buttholes like on a conveyer belt day in, day out.  

Yeah, but how about that doctor?  What is it, four years of medical  school plus residency and who knows what special training.  All to look up people's buttholes like on a conveyer belt day in, day out.  
I've had many IBD issues over the years and eventually lost some body parts due to ulcerative colitis and now crohns. I have had probably about a dozen scopes over the years and have had about 6 different gastros dive up my canal. I now judge them by their post reports and pictures, some incredibly graphic...

I wonder what the convos are like between the gi, anesthesio and the tech making sure the scope is working right.

Anesthesio, "he's out."

Doc, "let's go, I've got 22 more to do today."

The Cam enters patient...

Doc typing furiously away. 

Anesthes guy, "he's dreaming well."

Tech guy checks cams and then moves to reddit on his phone. "WoW! Check out this Trulieve sale!"

Doc snapping pics. Doc popping polyps like a video game with his razor chopper. Answers the tech, "local?"

"Yep."

Doc squirting more lube all over as he pulls the roto rooter out.

"Well, that's another one for the books. NEXT!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if they had to do it to people without the prep routine first....

Prep for my first ever colonoscopy starts in T-minus 1 hour.  My doc is having me mix up 510g of Miralax with 64oz Gatorade and then I need to drink 8oz every 15-30 minutes till gone.  I was able to eat 2 eggs and 2 pieces of dry toast for breakfast but then I can only have liquids the rest of today.  At least I'm not starving yet.

I followed the directions to a T but was still not cleared out enough for him to see everything. Sorry aboot that Doc. 

He cut a larger one out that was judged benign but pre-cancerous. Said he coudn't guarantee there weren't some smaller ones he couldn't spot.   

Gotta have another one in a year. 

I followed the directions to a T but was still not cleared out enough for him to see everything. Sorry aboot that Doc. 

He cut a larger one out that was judged benign but pre-cancerous. Said he coudn't guarantee there weren't some smaller ones he couldn't spot.   

Gotta have another one in a year. 

Given what he found, are you comfortable waiting a year?  I wouldn't be but my mother and her brother both died of colon cancer.

Prep for my first ever colonoscopy starts in T-minus 1 hour.  My doc is having me mix up 510g of Miralax with 64oz Gatorade and then I need to drink 8oz every 15-30 minutes till gone.  I was able to eat 2 eggs and 2 pieces of dry toast for breakfast but then I can only have liquids the rest of today.  At least I'm not starving yet.
Hope you got an early procedure in the morning.

Given what he found, are you comfortable waiting a year?  I wouldn't be but my mother and her brother both died of colon cancer.
Well I was relying on him as the expert. Just took it matter of fact. Might take it up with my GP here in a couple of weeks. 

I was scheduled for my second one a few weeks ago and just as I called to take care of the pre-op stuff they said we had to postpone because I had recently had Covid.  Evidently they don't want to put anyone under that has has Covid in the previous 6 weeks.  Now scheduled for 3/15.

Good to know…thank you!  going in for mine tomorrow.   :mellow:
24 hours before my procedure and 2 hours before I was starting drinking the stuff...my care provider called to tell my insurance company, United Healthcare, denied the insurance claim. :rolleyes:

OHSU (Oregon Heath and Sciences University) is my provider and my procedure was being done at an outpatient facility but United said it was being done at their hospital and was coded wrong or some bull####. I spent all day trying to get them override and to no luck. Haven't dove back into to reschedule and deal with all the BS.

24 hours before my procedure and 2 hours before I was starting drinking the stuff...my care provider called to tell my insurance company, United Healthcare, denied the insurance claim. :rolleyes:

OHSU (Oregon Heath and Sciences University) is my provider and my procedure was being done at an outpatient facility but United said it was being done at their hospital and was coded wrong or some bull####. I spent all day trying to get them override and to no luck. Haven't dove back into to reschedule and deal with all the BS.
Well, at least it was BEFORE you drank the stuff and started crapping your brains out.

The worst part is the cleanout, but if you prepare well, eat light easily digestible foods a day before and drink lots of clear liquids, its really not too bad.

Agree with ChiefD, the bigger picture is your long-term health. 

Just do it. Can make a world of difference in your long term health. It's a pretty simple procedure, and when you are done you feel all cleaned out and you get a great nap. 
I felt like crap that evening. Full of air or whatever it is they use to inflate you. Takes a while to decompress. The prep was annoying but the evening after was the worst part.

I felt like crap that evening. Full of air or whatever it is they use to inflate you. Takes a while to decompress. The prep was annoying but the evening after was the worst part.
I didn't have any of that. Was kind of disappointed. I had pictured me propelling myself around the house like a jet ski. But.. nuthin'.

Had my first colonoscopy today. Normal. Overall, no big wup. 

Taking Dulcolax/Miralax/Gatorade was super easy. Tasted fine. Bowel movements were clearing before I even started the liquid prep. No bunghole burning or pain. No leakage. No unusual gas post-procedure.

A couple comments:

1. Starting to fast early may help. I ate nothing for 36+ hours pre-procedure. Water and the Gatorade prevented being too hungry. As above, my bowel movements were clear liquid almost immediately, and the second bottle of Gatorade/Miralax seemed superfluous.

2. I preemptively used Vaseline to prevent peri-anal irritation. I dabbed the residual stuff with TP, and showered a couple times rather than wiping a lot.

3. Although propofol is great for more involved procedures, conscious sedation with Versed/fentanyl did the trick, and grogginess cleared more quickly.

Oh yeah, it’s not wise to deceive your physician, or ignore their advice. If you don’t trust them, find another doctor.

52 and getting my first one…..like right now….I am typing this in the waiting room.

Did a liquid diet yesterday, prep went smoothly even though that stuff tasted like the worst bottle of Boons Farm I ever had bar none. Had to wake up at 2AM for a second dose of that crap and that sucked.

First time in my entire life I am being put under.  I have never had any surgeries in my entire life.

Had mine yesterday. I was diagnosed  with ulceritive colitis 3 years ago so I need to have one every couple of years. I need to go in for infusions of medicine for the UC every 4 weeks. Only takes about 1-1/2 hours but it's a hassle.

From the post-op report "No active ulceritive colitis, which is great!"

So that means I'll only have to go in for infusions every 8 weeks. Haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since.

Had mine yesterday. I was diagnosed  with ulceritive colitis 3 years ago so I need to have one every couple of years. I need to go in for infusions of medicine for the UC every 4 weeks. Only takes about 1-1/2 hours but it's a hassle.

From the post-op report "No active ulceritive colitis, which is great!"

So that means I'll only have to go in for infusions every 8 weeks. Haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since.
I read the bolded (smile) as smell...and thought, Im not sure things went well at your colonoscopy.

ETA:  bold doesn't really show up well in dark mode.

Finishing prep for mine furst thing tomorrow.  Due to family history they're doing an endoscopy at the same time as well.

They swear they'll use two different tubes....I just hope I don't whistle while I walk afterwards. 

Starting prep on Tuesday for a Wednesday procedure.  How long does the whole "prep" last?  I'm a little worried that the second round starts at 11pm and I'm supposed to be there at 7am the next morning :oldunsure: .

Starting prep on Tuesday for a Wednesday procedure.  How long does the whole "prep" last?  I'm a little worried that the second round starts at 11pm and I'm supposed to be there at 7am the next morning :oldunsure: .
1st round cleared me out.   2nd was not as 'urgent'  

how old are you?  thought you were younger than most of us in this thread.

It runs in my family so I started having them at 40.  They found 4 non-cancerous polyps and had me come back the next year.  Next year, 1 polyp so went back 3 years later.  The last time, they clipped another polyp, but when I went home, my colon ruptured.  Went in to emergency surgery the next morning (surgery has a 26% mortality rate for that).  My next one is scheduled at the end of the month.

Even with that very rare occurrence, I cannot recommend highly enough to get one as soon as you possibly can. I've known way too many people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s who have died from colon cancer because they didn't know it was there.  The prep to me is super easy, and you remember nothing of the procedure itself.  I would do it every year if insurance would pay for it.

It sounds like you have the prep that requires a prescription.  My doctor just uses Duralax and Miralax, and it starts at 2 PM the day before.  You drink it in 2 hours, and you are complete clean.  At the hospital at 6 the next morning.

It sounds like you have the prep that requires a prescription.  My doctor just uses Duralax and Miralax, and it starts at 2 PM the day before.  You drink it in 2 hours, and you are complete clean.  At the hospital at 6 the next morning.
I received the same instructions as you, but I'm not supposed to start until 5pm.  Four Dulcolax tablets at 5pm, half the Miralax every 30 min starting at 6pm, then the other half every 30 min starting at 11pm.  And supposed to be at the clinic at 7am.

I received the same instructions as you, but I'm not supposed to start until 5pm.  Four Dulcolax tablets at 5pm, half the Miralax every 30 min starting at 6pm, then the other half every 30 min starting at 11pm.  And supposed to be at the clinic at 7am.
Was talking with my Dad this morning and he apparently got the same set of instructions you did.  He was complaining that he was not going to be able to go to sleep at all that night and it sounds pretty similar to yours. Interesting in how the instructions can differ like that.

Was talking with my Dad this morning and he apparently got the same set of instructions you did.  He was complaining that he was not going to be able to go to sleep at all that night and it sounds pretty similar to yours. Interesting in how the instructions can differ like that.
When is his prep day?  I'd be very interested to know how it goes...

When is his prep day?  I'd be very interested to know how it goes...
His prep day is this Thursday, procedure on Friday.  The only thing he's really concerned about is the sleep.  My sister is taking him but I'd like to look at his instructions.  I know he said at one point no dairy, but then I heard him say he could have ice cream.  Perhaps the no dairy is on the prep day and he can have ice cream before, but I told him to read the instructions again.

His prep day is this Thursday, procedure on Friday.  The only thing he's really concerned about is the sleep.  My sister is taking him but I'd like to look at his instructions.  I know he said at one point no dairy, but then I heard him say he could have ice cream.  Perhaps the no dairy is on the prep day and he can have ice cream before, but I told him to read the instructions again.
Ahh well then I guess it'll be me giving you the lowdown for him (prep day Tuesday).  I think that's correct, no dairy on prep day.

Similar to my prep. Loose, then watery bowel movements last several hours after the Miralax/Gatorade. The duration is less after the second half, with a$$ water for  3 or 4 hours after you finish.

But everyone’s bowel transit time is different, and I fasted an extra 24+ hours, so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread