What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans Watching K. Jones Workout (Again) (1 Viewer)

Aerial Assault

Footballguy
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../806210343/1027

So after dorking around with Ron Dayne and KJ once already, they're watching the latter work out again. Any other LenDale owners concerned about this? Titans homers? Why these moves, which could be seen as desperation, or could just be normal efforts to add depth? I think LenDale proved he could carry the load last season, and he's a good pass-catcher as well. :thumbup:

So after dorking around with Ron Dayne and KJ once already, they're watching the latter work out again. Any other LenDale owners concerned about this? Titans homers? Why these moves, which could be seen as desperation, or could just be normal efforts to add depth? I think LenDale proved he could carry the load last season, and he's a good pass-catcher as well. :confused:
If Lendale wouldn't have a huge gut every year the Titans wouldn't have to look elsewhere. White never seems to get the message. They draft a new RB every year but he still shows up out of shape.

If Lendale wouldn't have a huge gut every year the Titans wouldn't have to look elsewhere. White never seems to get the message. They draft a new RB every year but he still shows up out of shape.
Fair enough - - so this is all about him carrying a few extra pounds? Are they trying to motivate him? I thought he performed pretty decently last season . . . .

Perhaps I'm missing something, but here's what the article actually says:

"Jones on the radar: Former Lions running back Kevin Jones, trying to come back from an ACL injury, is scheduled to work out for pro scouts later this month.

The Titans are among the teams interested in Jones, who visited Baptist Sports Park earlier this offseason, but don't look for them to get in the mix for former Bronco Travis Henry or former Bear Cedric Benson."

This isn't exactly news. All it means is that Kevin Jones is doing yet another workout, and a bunch of teams - including Tennessee - might be there. There was literally zero definitive news in that article.

Fair enough - - so this is all about him carrying a few extra pounds? Are they trying to motivate him? I thought he performed pretty decently last season . . . .
Oh hell, he's not Tatum Bell

Oh hell, he's not Tatum Bell
I know - - so why are they working out these stiffs?

When Chow left TEN, so did Lendale's sole support.
Really? The rest of the org hates him? Link?
I never used the word "hate", but White has done nothing to squash the rumors of laziness which has followed him since college.link:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/12126007/

On Sunday, White benched 225 pounds all of 15 times. That’s one more than USC punter Tom Malone and nine less than Bush, who White happens to outweigh by 42 pounds. After doing the bench, White called it a day. He didn’t run the 40-yard dash or do any of the other myriad of drills that so many scouts and coaches were looking forward to.

“We had one of our scouts go up and ask him what was going on (after White didn’t run),” another executive said. “The kid said his hamstring was tight or something like that. Then we tried to find out when he was going to run and he didn’t know. It didn’t even sound like he was going to run. What does this kid think?”

“The guy can play, but he just gets by,” said a former USC offensive player who was teammates with White. “He coasted in practice and he coasted in the offseason. He came in thinking he just had to put in his time and that’s what you see now. People think he’s great and the talent is there … but the stuff he did was just because he played next to Reggie and with all those other guys around him. If he had really worked at it, he would have been amazing.”

By Jason ColeMSNBC contributorupdated 1:50 p.m. ET, Wed., April. 5, 2006
you might use something a little more up to date....that's 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
I never used the word "hate", but White has done nothing to squash the rumors of laziness which has followed him since college.link:

Cool - - can you supply something more recent than a story dated April 5, 2006? Something pertinent to the Titans and a touch more current would be helpful.

And a second person appears to say that a "healthy KJ" is better than LenDale. (First, KJ's never healthy, but let's assume that he could stay that way.) Uh, really? I guess I'm wondering why the Lions cut bait.

Cool - - can you supply something more recent than a story dated April 5, 2006? Something pertinent to the Titans and a touch more current would be helpful.

And a second person appears to say that a "healthy KJ" is better than LenDale. (First, KJ's never healthy, but let's assume that he could stay that way.) Uh, really? I guess I'm wondering why the Lions cut bait.
You can seriously go to www.yahoo.com and search "Lendale White fat" and have a field day reading the articles.

Summarized from KFFL:

The Associated Press reports the New York Jets, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Green Bay Packers have shown interest in free-agent RB Kevin Jones (Lions).

And

NFL | K. Jones using holistic healing to recover from knee injury

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:27:41 -0700

The Associated Press reports free-agent RB Kevin Jones (Lions) has been rehabilitating his torn ACL under the supervision of a holistic medicine practitioner and sports agent. Jones said he would be able to go through non-contact drills with the team that signs during training camp next month. The holistic-medicine practitioner has been leading Jones through workouts six days a week. He has performed heat acupuncture on Jones's knee, worked him out in his basement gym, in his jujitsu dojo, on a golf course and in a recreation-center pool.

As was said, The Titans have had Jones in for a workout and are curious for the next one.

Travis Henry, Cedric Benson, ol' Shaun Alexander, Kevin, and maybe maybe not Lamont Jordan make this a terrible time to be a free agent runningback in the NFL. Had they been free in march, maybe they could have worked up a decent(not big) deal. Right now it looks like a buyer's market and that many many MANY teams will show an interest if the price of these guys is so cheap. As markets go, that'll drive up their price and scare teams away but....for now it seems alot of teams are considerring free agent RBs.

As for the Titans, they are quite set at Runningback but, have a coach that just loves to run. Lendale White slimmed down eventually last year, some need to do better googling. He carried the load. Chris Johnson and Chris Henry are speedy backs that should be difficult for Ds to deal with after Lendale tires them out. Johnson has done real well and may have a foot in the door to stealing Lendale's job but they haven't had pads on yet. I could absolutely see Fisher bring Jones in to create camp competition and quell any curiousity he might have. There's no reason to jump the gun and make brash predictions further than that

Lendale came into the league as a very young kid and showed a marked improvement in just his second year. If he improves that much again he'll be in the Pro Bowl.

Summarized from KFFL:

The Associated Press reports the New York Jets, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Green Bay Packers have shown interest in free-agent RB Kevin Jones (Lions).

And

NFL | K. Jones using holistic healing to recover from knee injury

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:27:41 -0700

The Associated Press reports free-agent RB Kevin Jones (Lions) has been rehabilitating his torn ACL under the supervision of a holistic medicine practitioner and sports agent. Jones said he would be able to go through non-contact drills with the team that signs during training camp next month. The holistic-medicine practitioner has been leading Jones through workouts six days a week. He has performed heat acupuncture on Jones's knee, worked him out in his basement gym, in his jujitsu dojo, on a golf course and in a recreation-center pool.
LOL - probably has him taking cold showers

If he improves that much again he'll be in the Pro Bowl.
:popcorn: He didn't show any improvement. He just got more carries. I liked White at USC, but he looked pitiful last season. 3.7 YPC was probably the worst in the league among 1,000 yard rushers.

If he improves that much again he'll be in the Pro Bowl.
:2cents: He didn't show any improvement. He just got more carries. I liked White at USC, but he looked pitiful last season. 3.7 YPC was probably the worst in the league among 1,000 yard rushers.
:popcorn: lhucks pac10 schtik is clouding his judgement, this isnt the FFA no need to keep that going here. White isnt the answer there, they burned a 1st rounder on antoher RB this past draft and looking at Jones to me says they want to upgrade the spot even more.

Nice posting of a 2006 article, let's try to move into the present. Here is a picture of Lendale from the most recent Titans OTA on Friday 6/20. He has come into OTA's in MUCH better shape than last year and looks to be pretty slim (for him) and actually a little buff.

Lendale Photo 6/20/08

Bottom line is I believe you are fooling yourself if you think Lendale's job is at any risk right now. Kevin Jones signing would be further evidence of the Titans possibly giving up on Chris Henry maybe, but it would be a real suprise if he challenged Lendale for the starting job any time soon. I've read most of the info on Titans OTA's that's been available, and C.Henry hasn't even been mentioned. My guess is the Titans don't view C.Johnson or C.Henry as an every down pound 'em back, so they are looking for someone who could fill in for Lendale if he gets hurt.

Nice posting of a 2006 article, let's try to move into the present. Here is a picture of Lendale from the most recent Titans OTA on Friday 6/20. He has come into OTA's in MUCH better shape than last year and looks to be pretty slim (for him) and actually a little buff.

Lendale Photo 6/20/08

Bottom line is I believe you are fooling yourself if you think Lendale's job is at any risk right now. Kevin Jones signing would be further evidence of the Titans possibly giving up on Chris Henry maybe, but it would be a real suprise if he challenged Lendale for the starting job any time soon. I've read most of the info on Titans OTA's that's been available, and C.Henry hasn't even been mentioned. My guess is the Titans don't view C.Johnson or C.Henry as an every down pound 'em back, so they are looking for someone who could fill in for Lendale if he gets hurt.
It's peanut-butter-jelly time!http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwablazer/1516826501/

Ignoring physique, let's focus on Lendale's production. Only two of the Top-20 RB's last year averaged 3.7 yards/carry or less...Thomas Jones (3.6) and Lendale White (3.7). If you expand the list 15 spots further, DeShaun Foster (3.5), Warrick Dunn (3.2), Shaun Alexander (3.5) and Cedric Benson (3.4) enter the mix. Two of these guys are not on an NFL team...two are backups...and the remaining two are Jones and Lendale.

You're fooling yourself if you truly believe Lendale's job is not threatened...either by himself and/or the surrounding competition.

Ignoring physique, let's focus on Lendale's production. Only two of the Top-20 RB's last year averaged 3.7 yards/carry or less...Thomas Jones (3.6) and Lendale White (3.7). If you expand the list 15 spots further, DeShaun Foster (3.5), Warrick Dunn (3.2), Shaun Alexander (3.5) and Cedric Benson (3.4) enter the mix. Two of these guys are not on an NFL team...two are backups...and the remaining two are Jones and Lendale.
so if you expand the list you still wind up with the same two, got it, thanks

Ignoring physique, let's focus on Lendale's production. Only two of the Top-20 RB's last year averaged 3.7 yards/carry or less...Thomas Jones (3.6) and Lendale White (3.7). If you expand the list 15 spots further, DeShaun Foster (3.5), Warrick Dunn (3.2), Shaun Alexander (3.5) and Cedric Benson (3.4) enter the mix. Two of these guys are not on an NFL team...two are backups...and the remaining two are Jones and Lendale.You're fooling yourself if you truly believe Lendale's job is not threatened...either by himself and/or the surrounding competition.
it's pretty clear that you don't like lendale, but KJ is not the answer (520/1934 yards/3.72 ) the last 3 years, granted 2 years ago he had nice numbers rec. but face it he can't stay healthy. and henry and johnson are not going to give tenn, the type of running game they want. lendale may not be the back of the future but i think barring injury he will be the RB this year.

He didn't show any improvement. He just got more carries. I liked White at USC, but he looked pitiful last season. 3.7 YPC was probably the worst in the league among 1,000 yard rushers.
Made all the worse by the fact that a rookie teammate that no one thinks can play averaged 3.8 per rush. And a journeyman teammate that no one thinks can play averaged 4.6 per carry.

He didn't show any improvement. He just got more carries. I liked White at USC, but he looked pitiful last season. 3.7 YPC was probably the worst in the league among 1,000 yard rushers.
Made all the worse by the fact that a rookie teammate that no one thinks can play averaged 3.8 per rush. And a journeyman teammate that no one thinks can play averaged 4.6 per carry.
wcrob, that's a really simplistic way of viewing the world. complicating factors:1) LW was far more likely to be in the game on short-yardage plays2) Henry, Brown were more likely to be in the game on 3rd and long3) Do you REALLY think defenses would stack the line against Chris Henry? Brown maybe, just maybe. But check out game tape - when LW was in the game, the predictable Norm Chow offense ran the ball a lot. Thus, the ever-smart NFL D-coordinators stacked the line looking for LW to run.does that mean LW is a beast who will get 5 yds per carry this year? um, no. is it a useful comparison to look at LW vs Chris Henry? not really.

...And a second person appears to say that a "healthy KJ" is better than LenDale. (First, KJ's never healthy, but let's assume that he could stay that way.) Uh, really? I guess I'm wondering why the Lions cut bait.
Matt effin Millen.I actually just traded for KJ in my primary dynasty league. I've watched every one of his games. He runs hard and if he sees a hole (which didn't happen a lot in Detroit), he explodes through it. I can still see the picture of him just running over that TB safety for a TD. I think KJ is a great buy low. In a system where he's not counted on to make the first guy miss 5 yards in the backfield, I think he'll be solid.

wcrob, that's a really simplistic way of viewing the world. complicating factors:1) LW was far more likely to be in the game on short-yardage plays2) Henry, Brown were more likely to be in the game on 3rd and long3) Do you REALLY think defenses would stack the line against Chris Henry? Brown maybe, just maybe. But check out game tape - when LW was in the game, the predictable Norm Chow offense ran the ball a lot. Thus, the ever-smart NFL D-coordinators stacked the line looking for LW to run.does that mean LW is a beast who will get 5 yds per carry this year? um, no. is it a useful comparison to look at LW vs Chris Henry? not really.
You may want to check Football Outsiders' DVOA for the three players. It takes all the factors you mention into account (down, distance, position on the field). The results aren't very pretty for Lendale. Chris Henry matched him (admittedly it's a small sample size, but then again he was a rookie widely regarded as a project at best), and Chris Brown beat him every way you care to count.

My guess is the Titans don't view C.Johnson or C.Henry as an every down pound 'em back, so they are looking for someone who could fill in for Lendale if he gets hurt.
this was my first thought...if he is signed by TEN, we will have to see what kind of contract he is offered... if he isn't too expensive, it could be cheap insurance in case white is injured (he played through a knee injury last year)... such a signing could be more of an indictment of henry, as suggested...in defense of white, its not like he has had the benefit in his short career of a feared passing attack... & i thought he had some sort of aforementioned debilitating knee injury last year. if so, & he is healthy in '08, he could conceivably have upside...just so i don't come off as a white apologist (probably too late for that :unsure: ), i also thought he would be better after seeing him at USC, & have been disappointed with reports of questionable committment and dedication to the game...i just think that some players/situations may not always be black & white... there are shades of gray...it may not be as simple as he is either terrible or great... for me, a possibility range might be a spread from mediocre to decent/pretty good... from a dynasty standpoint, he may not have a long career if he doesn't take the game more seriously at some point soon... & realistically and historically, players that are immature at this point don't typically seem to develope a burning work ethic on the job in the NFL, which gives me more cause for pessimism than optimism, long term...if he has some upside through being healthier than in '07, i'm not sure how many teams he could start for in the NFL... it will be easier to answer that question after this season (either positively or negatively)... though if the passing attack doesn't make strides this year, that would still leave open the question would he fare better (in TEN or elsewhere), if he had the benefit of a more balanced attack where the defense isn't stacked against him...another factor, & not sure if it has been brought up, but titans look to be in an improving defensive conference... JAX has been good for a while, IND took a huge step up last season (we saw what a healthy bob sanders means to their D) & HOU looks to be rapidly improving, with a nucleus of mario williams, okoye & ryans...white won't see many creampuff divisional games on the schedule...

So after dorking around with Ron Dayne and KJ once already, they're watching the latter work out again. Any other LenDale owners concerned about this? Titans homers? Why these moves, which could be seen as desperation, or could just be normal efforts to add depth? I think LenDale proved he could carry the load last season, and he's a good pass-catcher as well. :unsure:
LenDale proved he could get a buttload of carries without having any important limbs simply fall off his body, but that doesn't mean he can carry the load. "Carry the load" implies that he'll manage to do something positive with the carries once he gets them.
A healthy KJ is night and day better than LenDale. People keep saying it because it's true.
Lendale came into the league as a very young kid and showed a marked improvement in just his second year. If he improves that much again he'll be in the Pro Bowl.
Marked improvement from 4.0 ypc to 3.7 ypc. If he "improves" all the way down to 3.4 yards per carry, it'll take him 450 carries to make the pro bowl.

I think this thread is getting a bit ahead of itself. Let's see KJ get a contract before we annoint him starter over LW or anyone else in the league, regardless of the level of their suckitude. It is a long way to the first snap of the season and a lot of things can happen.

LOL at both sides of this argument.

NEITHER of these is a viable starter for an NFL team. Tennessee has been desperate to replace White since they got him, and for good reason. KJ is a VASTLY overrated talent with huge injury issues.

If it really comes down to a mano-a-mano battle between these two, nobody's going to win, especially Tennessee.

Agree with last post. I am a White owner in a dynasty and as soon as I saw his ypc I knew he was susceptible to losing his job until that number improves a lot. He has never seemed like a hard worker and his committment to staying in shape has been a ? since coming into the league. If anyone is a threat to him it's Chris Johnson. The Titans have set themselves up really well for a Thunder and Lightning ground game, and personally I'd be :lmao: if Lendale sees the same number of carries this year. Having a 1,000 yard rusher doesn't put points on the board or win games. Lendale will see at least 5-6 touches per game go to CJ, and therefore will finish with about 850-950 rushing, but likely double-digit TDs as they convert him to a Bus-like role (not that he was ever as good as the Bus, just saying pounder and GL back).

wdcrob said:
Michael J Fox said:
wdcrob said:
You may want to check Football Outsiders' DVOA for the three players. It takes all the factors you mention into account (down, distance, position on the field). The results aren't very pretty for Lendale. Chris Henry matched him (admittedly it's a small sample size, but then again he was a rookie widely regarded as a project at best), and Chris Brown beat him every way you care to count.
Thanks, that's actually helpful info. Why didn't you just talk about DVOA specifically then, since it's vastly superior to a simplistic ypc approach? ;)

White played last year with a hurt knee, but despite that he performed decently and earned some confidence from the coaches that he can be relied on to fill his role. He's followed that up by coming to OTA's in much better shape than last year. Unless he gets hurt, he's going to be their main 1st and 2nd down RB this year and I think he'll get his 1,000 yards regardless of what his ypc ends up being. The key here is that his coach is Jeff Fisher who has absolutely no problem pounding a big RB over and over again despite a pedestrian ypc.

I think Lendale will be healthier, in better shape, and playing on a better overall offense than last year, so his ypc will probably improve even if his touches don't increase a lot. Tenn will still give Johnson and others some carries, but Lendale will get the most (unless Johnson turns out to be more of an every down back than most people believe he is).

Holy Schneikes said:
If it really comes down to a mano-a-mano battle between these two, nobody's going to win, especially Tennessee.
End of thread, it really can't be summed up any better.

Titans OTA info

" --While the Titans remain interested in former Lions running back Kevin Jones, Fisher said the team has no plans to send anyone to his private workout in the coming days. The Titans still have concerns about Jones' health after his ACL injury."

Titans OTA info

" --While the Titans remain interested in former Lions running back Kevin Jones, Fisher said the team has no plans to send anyone to his private workout in the coming days. The Titans still have concerns about Jones' health after his ACL injury."
After that video of KJ working out on the golf course, I'm shocked that anyone would have concerns about his ACL. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread