What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike and the Mad Dog show (Not Done!) (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation said:
And I highly recommend bookmarking Mushnick: http://www.nypost.com/columnists/philmushnickHe generally has new columns every Monday/Wednesday/Friday and once on the weekend. He's the only guy more frustrated with Francesa than I am. And who can blame him. After 9/11 Francesa yelled at Jewish callers and demanded they take a loyalty oath to the United States.Here is a nice recap: http://www.bobsblitz.com/2009/11/fat-francesa-bashed-for-jew-hating-by.html
Mushnick sucks and can only dream of having half the success Mike has had.

Raider Nation said:
And I highly recommend bookmarking Mushnick: http://www.nypost.com/columnists/philmushnickHe generally has new columns every Monday/Wednesday/Friday and once on the weekend. He's the only guy more frustrated with Francesa than I am. And who can blame him. After 9/11 Francesa yelled at Jewish callers and demanded they take a loyalty oath to the United States.Here is a nice recap: http://www.bobsblitz.com/2009/11/fat-francesa-bashed-for-jew-hating-by.html
Too bad success does not = respectable.

Raider Nation said:
I got news for ya, plenty of people out there respect Francesa.

Raider Nation said:
I got news for ya, plenty of people out there respect Francesa.
I like to call those people... misguided. :)

Fatso having a field day today, contradictions be damned..

killing the Jets for all the same reason's he'd give if they had gone a 180 on the draft.

2:31 pm today. Harry in Philly calls up to discuss Rex Ryan's future. Mike declares it a LOCK that the Jets' next head coach will be an offensive coach. "When you go defense.... next time you ALWAYS go offense."

Interesting. Here are the men named HC of the Jets dating back 20 years, followed by their NFL background:

Rex Ryan (2009-Present) - Defense

Eric Mangini (2006-2008) - Defense

Herman Edwards (2001-2005) - Defense

Al Groh (2000) - Defense

Bill Belichick (2000) - Defense

Bill Parcells (1997-1999) - Defense

Rich Kotite (1995-1996) - Offense

Pete Carroll (1994) - Defense

:hophead:

He basically just talks because there's a microphone in front of him.

Fatso having a field day today, contradictions be damned..

killing the Jets for all the same reason's he'd give if they had gone a 180 on the draft.
I tried to call in to get him to rationalize his stance that Richardson was a bad pick "because he played on a horrible defense" but I haven't been able to get through. I'm DYING to hear his personal scouting report on the kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
how about Fatso's stance (Which he has reiterated to death already)

Idzik says he is taking the QB position day-by-day, I don't hear the Pats saying that, I don't see the Packers saying that.. so what you are saying is that you don't have your QB on your roster.

no kidding Mike. It's obvious they are done with Sanchez and they just drafted a kid in the 2nd round..so I doubt anybody would say they are set at QB.. Wouldn't you prefer they addressed the QB than going in with Sanchez as lame duck next year..

Idzik says he is taking the QB position day-by-day, I don't hear the Pats saying that, I don't see the Packers saying that.. so what you are saying is that you don't have your QB on your roster.

no kidding Mike. It's obvious they are done with Sanchez and they just drafted a kid in the 2nd round..so I doubt anybody would say they are set at QB.. Wouldn't you prefer they addressed the QB than going in with Sanchez as lame duck next year..
He really is the personification of an internet troll.

Raider Nation said:
:hophead:

He basically just talks because there's a microphone in front of him.
I love your shtick here. Serious. Too see you get all worked up over this no-nothing windbag is a delight.

Righetti said:

Doesn't matter what the Jets do or say anymore. Mike's hatred is unconditional. :wub:

Raider Nation said:
Righetti said:
Fatso having a field day today, contradictions be damned.. killing the Jets for all the same reason's he'd give if they had gone a 180 on the draft.
I tried to call in to get him to rationalize his stance that Richardson was a bad pick "because he played on a horrible defense" but I haven't been able to get through. I'm DYING to hear his personal scouting report on the kid.
I think the Richardson pick was the best one.

Okay. I've had about enough of this thread. Is Mike and Mad Dog going to be done anytime soon yet? It's been like 5 years since this thread started.

Can we at least change the title of the thread to something more appropriate? Like, "Mike and Mad Dog - Still going strong after all these years".

Wow we just got a "let's be honest" and a HAWWWVEY in the same breath. That's a "take four shots" sentence!
Step back from the radio
Probably best to put me on ignore. This isn't going to stop until he retires.
:goodposting:

This is what we do in here. Well - RN does it, and I laugh my ### off.

RN admitted he's obsessed with the guy - and what a dope he is. There's a 30 page long thread on Colin Cowherd somewhere around here and it's nothing but how much people hate him.

Don't let this thread die. It's the best part of my day.

Wow we just got a "let's be honest" and a HAWWWVEY in the same breath. That's a "take four shots" sentence!
Step back from the radio
Probably best to put me on ignore. This isn't going to stop until he retires.
:goodposting:

This is what we do in here. Well - RN does it, and I laugh my ### off.

RN admitted he's obsessed with the guy - and what a dope he is. There's a 30 page long thread on Colin Cowherd somewhere around here and it's nothing but how much people hate him.

Don't let this thread die. It's the best part of my day.
I must find that thread, because Colin is terrible.

We're gonna get off track here, but the sad part about Cowturd is that he doesn't HAVE to be insufferable. He chooses to be. He knows an adequate amount about everything he discusses, he gets great guests and asks relevant questions. But when he goes off on his little rants, and starts doing that ridiculous shtick where he imitates the people who disagree with him.

"But Colin...... you don't know what you're talking about.... blah, blah, blah"

B-R-U-T-A-L

:X

Best clip I've seen so far is the guy who said the nfl network put him to sleep, so he turned on the nba network to watch Sleepy Floyd and Hakeem the Dream.

:lmao:

RN

Give us a blow by blow of the interview with Idzik?

Was it as bad as the Revis one?
Wow, can't believe he got Idzik. Listening to it now. You can find it here.

From the get-go it's awkward and Mike points out that he rarely gets to speak to the Jets hierarchy. Really dude? Really?? Why do you think that might be?? :lmao:

It's pretty much the confrontational interview he used to give to Tanenbaum, with lots of focus on Rex, how much influence did he have in the draft and in not so many words, when will you be firing him. :lmao:

I never understood why Tannenbaum would talk to Mike and I don't know why Idzik did this either. But obviously it's awesome and hilarious.

Idzik refuses to "predict" if Sanchez will be cut, and says the 5 QBs will compete for spots on the roster. Not unexpected for the GM to say at this point.

Raider Nation said:
The interview began amicably enough. Mike had never spoken to this man before, so he started out with a few softball questions and tickled his balls a little bit. When he realized that Idzik was a soft-spoken, thoughtful guy, he became aggressive and combative, trying to bully him. Because that's what Francesa's career was built on -- being a bully towards those who allow it. He would NEVER speak that way to Tom Coughlin, Bill Polian, Mike Ditka, etc.Anyway, after he asks the same question eight times, and Idzik gives the same answer eight times, the interview ended. Caller after caller pointed out what he jerk he came across as, and he wasn't hearing it. (Surprise, I know.)He actually said to one caller "I've been doing this for 25 years... I think I'm doing something right. I don't care if you liked the interview. I don't care what you guys think. I ask the questions I want to ask."

Pretty much sums up his entire career. After all, why would a radio host care what his listeners think?
The last minute of the interview was as condescending and dismissive as anything I've heard from Francesa. There is nothing that man could have said that would make Mike say afterward that he was impressed and believes maybe this guy could turn things around. Again, I don't know why anyone with the Jets would ever agree to an interview. You're agreeing to sit there and basically be insulted and ridiculed for 10 minutes.

Raider Nation said:
Raider Nation said:
The interview began amicably enough. Mike had never spoken to this man before, so he started out with a few softball questions and tickled his balls a little bit. When he realized that Idzik was a soft-spoken, thoughtful guy, he became aggressive and combative, trying to bully him. Because that's what Francesa's career was built on -- being a bully towards those who allow it. He would NEVER speak that way to Tom Coughlin, Bill Polian, Mike Ditka, etc.Anyway, after he asks the same question eight times, and Idzik gives the same answer eight times, the interview ended. Caller after caller pointed out what he jerk he came across as, and he wasn't hearing it. (Surprise, I know.)He actually said to one caller "I've been doing this for 25 years... I think I'm doing something right. I don't care if you liked the interview. I don't care what you guys think. I ask the questions I want to ask." Pretty much sums up his entire career. After all, why would a radio host care what his listeners think?
The last minute of the interview was as condescending and dismissive as anything I've heard from Francesa. There is nothing that man could have said that would make Mike say afterward that he was impressed and believes maybe this guy could turn things around. Again, I don't know why anyone with the Jets would ever agree to an interview. You're agreeing to sit there and basically be insulted and ridiculed for 10 minutes.
How about when he asked Idzik what his philosophy is. Just last week, he declared that it's impossible for someone to have a philosophy on something they've never done before. The man is a pompous, fraudulent, insane a-hole.
I think the biggest thing I notice is that this isn't fun for him anymore. He really seems completely over all of it. There was genuine excitement and a lot of laughs when I would listen to him and dog in the early days. The chance to go to a World Series or Super Bowl, or interview the top names in sports, those were still new and fun and exhilarating and the two of them would recount their experiences with enthusiasm and talk to the audience like we were buddies at the bar listening to a friend tell stories. Even something as ludicrous as the Jeff Torborg Report when the Mets were 30 games out of it was entertaining because they made it funny with their wisecracks afterwards.

Since Russo is gone, he's sitting there by himself and he seems jaded, bored and bitter. I would suggest that he should get another cohost, but would that even help? Would it bring any joy out of him and would he actually listen to what the other guy had to say?

You take his boredom and couple it with his sense of...royalty, I guess at WFAN since he's the biggest name there and has the most experience, and here comes that ego...it's pretty obvious if you listen long enough that he has disdain for his fellow radio hosts and the feeling is mutual. I particularly enjoy when Benigno and Roberts fill in for Mike and they sarcastically sing Mike's theme song.

It's not particularly surprising. Most of the people I've known in my professional life who have done the same job for 20+ years have a similar attitude. It's time for him to move on.

What's he pull a year?
Thought to be about 5 million a year
No way in hell. Are you guys serious? For FM radio?
660AM for years and years. Added FM recently.
Man that's what somebody like Nick Saban makes a year. Nuts.
Well, we're not talking about some college radio station in Idaho. He's dominated the biggest market in the country on a blowtorch station forever.

Users who are viewing this thread