What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike and the Mad Dog show (Not Done!) (2 Viewers)

Mike will fight tooth and nail to not be paired up on a permanent basis. It will take a big ratings dip for the station to force his hand.
I'm sure you are right.. I can see WFAN still keeping this his show (Imus/Howard etc) with a sidekick.. not a show like Mike and the MadDog but instead Mike'd Up featuring Mike Francesa and sidekick Robin Benigno

i have been listening to mad dog's show a lot lately, and it has been very good IMO. They have had an all star lineup of guests, so Chris doesnt have to carry the load in terms of breaking down sports and teams he isnt familiar with. Good decision on there part, as there was zero chance of him being able to keep up with the national sports scene.

Time to bring back "Coleman and the Soul Man".

Always liked Eddie C....maybe 'cause he likes to drink and is a fan of the Orange (go SU...basketball's almost here).

Just heard the show for about 10 minutes. They sound good together. Benigno seemed a bit subdued.

Did I actually hear Mike say Sandy Koufax, not Kouvax?

Can anyone shed any light on what Mad Dog said about Francesa on Stern today?
Nothing bad, you know that Chris wouldn't really badmouth Mike, no matter how hard Howard pushed him to. Did get a couple of good things from the show: WFAN ratings are down, Mike got half the on air guests that Mad Dog did during Super Bowl week and Chris thought he made a tactical mistake by broadcasting over 8 blocks away from everyone else, so he got many fewer guests because of it. Funniest moment might have been Robin calling him Mike halfway thru the interview. That was a classic screwup.

Can anyone shed any light on what Mad Dog said about Francesa on Stern today?
Nothing bad, you know that Chris wouldn't really badmouth Mike, no matter how hard Howard pushed him to. Did get a couple of good things from the show: WFAN ratings are down, Mike got half the on air guests that Mad Dog did during Super Bowl week and Chris thought he made a tactical mistake by broadcasting over 8 blocks away from everyone else, so he got many fewer guests because of it. Funniest moment might have been Robin calling him Mike halfway thru the interview. That was a classic screwup.
Mike countered on his show saying that anyone booked for Sirius or ESPN were under obligations to NOT go on anyone else show. Mike also said that for years he has stated he hated being on radio road (which I agree and remember him saying that in the past) and instead had his in the downtown hotel he was staying at.Mike also briefly mentioned that he and Bill Parcells have not spoken with each other in about 7 or 8 months but didn't want to discuss why.

Max Kellerman rumored to be the new Fatso sidekick
I heard that someone spotted Francesa and Max eating dinner together a few nights ago. I think it would make for interesting radio for about 2 weeks, or however long it takes Tank to strangle Max. Anything is better than Tank solo though. I'd love for the Fan to bring back Sid Rosenberg since he's done in Miami, but that's a long shot at best.

oof. kellerman is painful. his best work was the crappy boxing show he had on the local cable access channel back in the day.
Max's schtick grew on me... I like him better then Cowherd his replacement...At 1st I didn't get Max and his comic characters and boxing stuff - But, He just may be my favorite radio guy right now..

oof. kellerman is painful. his best work was the crappy boxing show he had on the local cable access channel back in the day.
Max's schtick grew on me... I like him better then Cowherd his replacement...

At 1st I didn't get Max and his comic characters and boxing stuff - But, He just may be my favorite radio guy right now..
this is very true. cowherd is, maybe, the worst sports radio personality.

BT taking over the 10-12 slot on ESPN Radio is bad for me personally.

I think he's great but who the hell can listen to sportsradio at this time? Unless you drive a truck for a living or don't have a job for a living

Max's schtick grew on me... I like him better then Cowherd his replacement...

At 1st I didn't get Max and his comic characters and boxing stuff - But, He just may be my favorite radio guy right now..
this is very true. cowherd is, maybe, the worst sports radio personality.
:no: Cowherd consistently provides well-reasoned and insightful viewpoints... exactly what you want in a talk radio host. And I say that even though I disagree with him 50% of the time. Cowherd is also refreshing for sports talk radio by not dedicating half his show to sports he knows nothing about... he sticks to the areas he knows well (college football, NFL, MLB primarily) and doesn't insult his audience (ahem, Mike and the Mad Dog) by pretending to be an expert while talking out of his ###.

Big reunion today! Mad Dog joins Mike from Yankee Stadium at 1:05 on WFAN

I guess it will be for an hour since Dog doesnt start til 2.

Cant wait, I miss these two together

RBM said:
Big reunion today! Mad Dog joins Mike from Yankee Stadium at 1:05 on WFANI guess it will be for an hour since Dog doesnt start til 2. Cant wait, I miss these two together
Mad Dog was hilarious on Howard the other day.

RBM said:
Big reunion today! Mad Dog joins Mike from Yankee Stadium at 1:05 on WFANI guess it will be for an hour since Dog doesnt start til 2. Cant wait, I miss these two together
Is this for good or just for one show?

Wow - really shows you just how good that partnership really was. These guys are great together.

Russo is kinda subtly digging at sirius - I think he'd LOVE it if they said "You know what? We'll give you a buyout to tear up the contract."

Wow - really shows you just how good that partnership really was. These guys are great together.Russo is kinda subtly digging at sirius - I think he'd LOVE it if they said "You know what? We'll give you a buyout to tear up the contract."
agreed.watched it on YES, russo is as manic as everhe almost knocked Mike in the eye with his flailing elbows

From what I've heard so far, Russo is ***FAR*** better as a solo act than Mike.
I was reading through some of my comments in this thread, including the one above, and boy was I wrong. After listening to both of them as solo acts for the past couple of years, it's clear that Mike was the main talent in the duo. Russo's show borders on unlistenable. He rants and raves, uses the same verbal crutches constantly (gimme the scenario with that... what's the scenario with this...) and he freely admits that he doesn't watch sports as much as he used to. Last fall, he claimed that "nobody has ever heard of the Suh kid from Nebraska." :fishing: Right, Chris. He's only the most dominant player in college football. But because HE isn't familiar with Suh due to being out shopping with his wife on Saturdays, nobody else could possibly know who he is, either. And the guy openly says he missed part of one of the NFL playoff games because he was watching...... TENNIS! Sorry, anyone who watches tennis over an NFL game (playoffs or otherwise) doesn't deserve my respect or my business as a listener.

As for Mike, he's like an old comfortable shoe. He, too, has his bad/annoying verbal crutches:

But there is far more substance to his show as opposed to Dog's show. Mike still needs to stop talking over his callers, and he can be incredibly arrogant, but he gets the A-list guests (Jim Nantz today... Coach K tomorrow, for example) and he takes plenty of calls from his audience. Mike is fairly knowledgeable on most subjects. Perhaps not as knowledgeable as he thinks he is, but knowledgeable enough to speak with some authority on most-things sports. I find it hard to turn off Mike's show. I listen to almost all of it whether I'm at home or on the road.

Anyway, at least for me, Mike beats Dog. And it's not close. But they were certainly at their best as a team.

I agree Mike is starting to argue and talk over alot of callers lately. I am starting to Listen to ESPN1050 in the afternoon more and more. Mike's show is just not as good as it use to be.

Boomer and Carton in the morning are great.

After the split, I listened to Russo pretty much every day for about the first year and rarely listened to Francesa. A few months ago, my sat radio started acting up so I haven't hear Russo since then. Been listening to Francesa a little more online and sometimes on YES at nights. I don't miss Russo at all. I realize that he's possibly a better host in terms of eliciting reactions from people, but he is worried about that too much.

Of course, it doesn't help that he probably has to do about twice as much in terms of actual show time.

Anyway, at least for me, Mike beats Dog. And it's not close. But they were certainly at their best as a team.
:rolleyes: When they would fly solo because of vacations I would always enjoy Dog more, but when I heard them on their own show after a few months, I realized the same thing as you.

i listen to Russo's show 2 or 3 times a week on my drive home depending on what he's talking about.

I like it way more than Francesa's show. Both are embarassing at times in terms of their knowledge on certain subject (mostly college sports) but at least Chris is honest about it. (although the tennis obsession bothers me. I know he loves it, but nobody cares). I still remember Mike ranting for 90 minutes about Notre Dame had to hire Irving Meyers a few years ago.

With Chris's show being a national show, he has to cover a wider variety of topics. IMO, he does a great job of getting guests (beat writers, national TV guys, ect) to cover some of his knowledge gaps.

Still think i could do a better job than both of them.

i listen to Russo's show 2 or 3 times a week on my drive home depending on what he's talking about.

I like it way more than Francesa's show. Both are embarassing at times in terms of their knowledge on certain subject (mostly college sports) but at least Chris is honest about it. (although the tennis obsession bothers me. I know he loves it, but nobody cares). I still remember Mike ranting for 90 minutes about Notre Dame had to hire Irving Meyers a few years ago.

With Chris's show being a national show, he has to cover a wider variety of topics. IMO, he does a great job of getting guests (beat writers, national TV guys, ect) to cover some of his knowledge gaps.

Still think i could do a better job than both of them.
I sort of agree with this, but I would give him credit for enthusiasm and his ability to sometimes make me care about things that I otherwise would have no interest in. Francesa can't really do that.

I still listen to Fatso most days, although he's an arrogant blowhard I like to get his take after a major sporting event or playoff race.

Russo is just off-the-wall, his show is pretty terrible but I haven't really listened to it since I don't commute by car to and from work.

I actually find that the best show on NY Radio is Bill Daughtery's Post-Game Live..

the superbowl contest has lost all of its sizzle without the Marquis

plus Fatso keeps asking the same three questions over and over again

yes i think everybody has figured out that Parcels, Coughlin and Fassel to the Giants to the superbowl

the superbowl contest has lost all of its sizzle without the Marquisplus Fatso keeps asking the same three questions over and over againyes i think everybody has figured out that Parcels, Coughlin and Fassel to the Giants to the superbowl
Mike is insufferable. I can barely listen to him at this point.

the superbowl contest has lost all of its sizzle without the Marquis

plus Fatso keeps asking the same three questions over and over again

yes i think everybody has figured out that Parcels, Coughlin and Fassel to the Giants to the superbowl
"Tony on Long Island... what kinda fan are you?""Buffalo Bills."

"The Buffalo Bills........ let's see here ...... Question number 1: name anyone who has ever played for them."

I love listening to Francesa talk about the Jets - mainly because his distaste for them is hardly veiled at all :goodposting:

-QG

the superbowl contest has lost all of its sizzle without the Marquisplus Fatso keeps asking the same three questions over and over againyes i think everybody has figured out that Parcels, Coughlin and Fassel to the Giants to the superbowl
You're a better man than me. I can only take him in the smallest of doses.This week is a big reason to still be pissed about the breakup. That was an absolute ball buster when Maddog ran it, one of the highlights of every year for their show.

You're a better man than me. I can only take him in the smallest of doses.This week is a big reason to still be pissed about the breakup. That was an absolute ball buster when Maddog ran it, one of the highlights of every year for their show.
I pride myself on knowing as much NFL trivia as anyone, but some of those #4 questions (featuring the sound bites) to get the Super Bowl trip are just ridiculous. They play an audio clip of some random white guy who was probably a backup left guard for the Chiefs in Super Bowl IV.

Users who are viewing this thread