Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Mike and the Mad Dog show (Not Done!)

Just now, ScottNorwood said:

The industry?  You mean the sports-talk radio industry?  Always has and will be horrible and entertaining only as a trainwreck sideshow.

Agreed. And in part that is his legacy, with the advantage of limited number of media outlets. 

But today is too face paced and open sourced for the Neanderthal bully that is mike.  Not that the SteVen A Smiths are any better 

31 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

In my early 20's I had to be near a radio for those 5 hours, especially during baseball season. So hilarious to think back on the Jeff Torborg Report. The Mets were out of it by the All Star break and this poor putz had to do a daily spot getting grilled by Mike & Chris for 15 minutes. They would mock the guy every single day before and after the interview, and almost complain about having to talk to him. Finally it's September, the Mets are 30 games below .500 and they're asking Jeff "So........family doing good? Hot out today." :lmao: 

Dog really tempered the honestly mean spirited streak of mike. And mike kept dogs absolutely asinine rankings a little in check.

That allowed them to become a colloquial part of each of our lives back then.

Simpler times.  ####tier Mets.  (Wait, what's their record?)

3 minutes ago, ScottNorwood said:

The industry?  You mean the sports-talk radio industry?  Always has and will be horrible and entertaining only as a trainwreck sideshow.

1 minute ago, Koya said:

Agreed. And in part that is his legacy, with the advantage of limited number of media outlets. 

But today is too face paced and open sourced for the Neanderthal bully that is mike.  Not that the SteVen A Smiths are any better 

Yeah it's a genre of just those two guys for me. Once in a while I might listen to Joe & Evan for a few minutes of Jets schadenfreude.

Just now, McGarnicle said:

Yeah it's a genre of just those two guys for me. Once in a while I might listen to Joe & Evan for a few minutes of Jets schadenfreude.

How can you not love Joe if you grew up watching his second act off life take off?

Some ranting idiot shnuck who calls into the overnights... CT School of Broadcasting... goto and generally belove host in the NY market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koya said:

How can you not love Joe if you grew up watching his second act off life take off?

Some ranting idiot shnuck who calls into the overnights... CT School of Broadcasting... goto and generally belove host in the NY market.

Definitely a cool story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Local guy from Detroit 97.1 Mike Valenti is filling in on his show this week and tearing it up. Hope he gets the gig. He deserves it. 

That guy totally sucks. Is he always this antagonistic?  Let it breathe poochie. Guy has no conviction in his words, just hot taking to rile the idiot callers. Which generally hasn't gone over in New York. Francesa at least had some nuance. He's a quick tune out for men and I had heard good things

I don't mean to drop names like Mike does, BTW. But it seems like every person who has ever listened to him has contacted me in the past year. His influence is unbelievable. I'm just a slob who records his show, and just about every media member in NYC follows me. They will all unfollow me just as quickly when he retires, but it's a fun ride. Most of them, incidentally, cannot stand Mike. So I guess they feel like I'm a kindred spirit. I think a lot of the hate is jealousy, and a lot of it is warranted.

I'm hearing rumblings that SXM has officially offered Mike a contract to work from 1-4 daily... the last hour being a duo with Dog. Fingers crossed. I'll continue to record the show if that happens, as I already stream SXM at home.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Raider Nation said:

I don't mean to drop names like Mike does, BTW. But it seems like every person who has ever listened to him has contacted me in the past year. His influence is unbelievable. I'm just a slob who records his show, and just about every media member in NYC follows me. They will all unfollow me just as quickly when he retires, but it's a fun ride. Most of them, incidentally, cannot stand Mike. So I guess they feel like I'm a kindred spirit. I think a lot of the hate is jealousy, and a lot of it is warranted.

I'm hearing rumblings that SXM has officially offered Mike a contract to work from 1-4 daily... the last hour being a duo with Dog. Fingers crossed. I'll continue to record the show if that happens, as I already stream SXM at home.

Why would they have the two of them together from 3-4? Wouldn't it make more sense to have Mike do 3-6 and Dog 5-8 or something and have them overlap during afternoon drive? 

7 hours ago, Raider Nation said:

What if I told you... Kim is my pal. She's very cool. She contacted me out of the blue over a year ago because she liked my Francesa clips, and we've been email/text buddies ever since. Nice lady. Now with that said, I will concede that you are not alone in your opinion. Many people do not like her on the radio. A lot of guys won't listen to ANY women in general talking sports.

I listen to every host on the FAN outside of the morning show, male or female, except Kim Jones. I have to turn to another station. I have no idea why. Just can't take her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

I met Jerry from Queens once. 

And I couldn't stand old emphysema Doris from Rego Park, coughing into the phone all day and night. 

I had a fantasy baseball team called Doris from Rego Park back in the early 00s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

That guy totally sucks. Is he always this antagonistic?  Let it breathe poochie. Guy has no conviction in his words, just hot taking to rile the idiot callers. Which generally hasn't gone over in New York. Francesa at least had some nuance. He's a quick tune out for men and I had heard good things

So Mets fan, eh?  LOL

8 hours ago, Raider Nation said:

What if I told you... Kim is my pal. She's very cool. She contacted me out of the blue over a year ago because she liked my Francesa clips, and we've been email/text buddies ever since. Nice lady. Now with that said, I will concede that you are not alone in your opinion. Many people do not like her on the radio. A lot of guys won't listen to ANY women in general talking sports.

She may be a very nice person...I just cant stand her on the radio.   Not about women.   I really like Anita Marks. I like shes great on the radio. Just something about Kim's voice and radio personality I just cannot stand. Like nails on a chalkboard.

1 hour ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

Why would they have the two of them together from 3-4? Wouldn't it make more sense to have Mike do 3-6 and Dog 5-8 or something and have them overlap during afternoon drive? 

Mike's main complaint is that he's sick of working 5.5 hours every day. He's been working until 6:30 for a very long time. Leaving work at 4 would be very appealing to him, I would think.

9 hours ago, Raider Nation said:

That's cool, I think she does a nice job. She's well prepared, obviously knows football, but knows baseball too, and she tells a good story.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Raider Nation said:

I'd be down for that :banned: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raider Nation said:

Mike's main complaint is that he's sick of working 5.5 hours every day. He's been working until 6:30 for a very long time. Leaving work at 4 would be very appealing to him, I would think.

Then have him do 10-2 and Dog go 1-5, then replay the co-op hour at 5:00.  Whatever time they're broadcasting together needs to be in the East Coast afternoon drive hour.  Putting it on at 3 PM is wasting it.

This is all assuming they only want to do 1 hour together.  If it were up to me, I'd have them on together from 5-8 (or 2-5 if they want to leave earlier and replay the entire show at 5 ET and 5 PT.)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

That is bullarky. 

What exactly happened

They've gone after him before. Fatso can't handle being called out on his never-ending stream of BS. Throw in that fact that RN is using material against him that there's a copyright on and here we are.

• Like 1

Someone ratted me out. It happens. There is a small segment of bitter Mike-loving, mouth-breathing Mongo Nation dummies who hated me from day 1. They are feeling plenty of satisfaction right now, dancing on my grave. And good for them. But they have to wake up every morning, look in the mirror and know they are rats. I'll miss interacting with my great followers, but the fact of the matter is Mike is gone in 5 months anyway, and I now actually have time to do things.... outside. I never made a penny off of any of what I did, and it was a CRAPLOAD of work. So from that standpoint, I'm not exactly crying about it.

ETA: Also, I had two prior warnings from Twitter about posting copyrighted NFL/MLB content. I willfully kept doing it, and this was strike 3 (with a little help from a tipster who reported it, as they told me)... so basically, if I can't post the things I want to post, namely clips of sports, it's pointless for me to have a Twitter account in the first place. I've never been one to post pics of my lunch.

Edited by Raider Nation
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, Raider Nation said:

Someone ratted me out. It happens. There is a small segment of bitter Mike-loving, mouth-breathing Mongo Nation dummies who hated me from day 1. They are feeling plenty of satisfaction right now, dancing on my grave. And good for them. But they have to wake up every morning, look in the mirror and know they are rats. I'll miss interacting with my great followers, but the fact of the matter is Mike is gone in 5 months anyway, and I now actually have time to do things.... outside. I never made a penny off of any of what I did, and it was a CRAPLOAD of work. So from that standpoint, I'm not exactly crying about it.

ETA: Also, I had two prior warnings from Twitter about posting copyrighted NFL/MLB content. I willfully kept doing it, and this was strike 3 (with a little help from a tipster who reported it, as they told me)... so basically, if I can't post the things I want to post, namely clips of sports, it's pointless for me to have a Twitter account in the first place. I've never been one to post pics of my lunch.

It was a run...

• Like 1

Hell yeah. 22.3K followers in about two years of active tweeting. Confirmed that I was doing something right. I could start up another account tomorrow and have tons of the followers come back again once everyone knew that it was me. But what's the point. If I post the things I want to post, it will just get shut down again. Rats are gonna rat... it's what rats do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raider Nation said:

Hell yeah. 22.3K followers in about two years of active tweeting. Confirmed that I was doing something right. I could start up another account tomorrow and have tons of the followers come back again once everyone knew that it was me. But what's the point. If I post the things I want to post, it will just get shut down again. Rats are gonna rat... it's what rats do.

You also gained a lot of traction in the sports talk landscape in the NY area. Dude, Boomer & Carton were talking about you on the radio. You have a lot to be proud of for all the work you did.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

You also gained a lot of traction in the sports talk landscape in the NY area. Dude, Boomer & Carton were talking about you on the radio. You have a lot to be proud of for all the work you did.

The guys at WEEI (Boston) in the afternoon drive slot also talked him up quite a bit and played a ton of his clips

• Like 2

I've already started up another account. I want to lay low for awhile, but my posting style (HQ clips) should give it away pretty quickly. If you click on whichever sports-related hashtag is trending, chances are my clip will be one of the first ones... starting tonight.

The upside is that I'll never have to listen to Francesa's show again. It's truly awful. I want to go in a different direction. I've deleted everything Mike-related from my computer. Times change.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Raider Nation said:

I've already started up another account. I want to lay low for awhile, but my posting style (HQ clips) should give it away pretty quickly. If you click on whichever sports-related hashtag is trending, chances are my clip will be one of the first ones... starting tonight.

The upside is that I'll never have to listen to Francesa's show again. It's truly awful. I want to go in a different direction. I've deleted everything Mike-related from my computer. Times change.

Great to see you finding a new target, Phil. 

• Like 2