What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Diablo 3 (1 Viewer)

Corporation said:
Vrana said:
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

Between this and starcraft 2, we should all just surrender our wallets to Blizzard.
:rolleyes: Been waiting for something to play.
If my wife even caught me looking at this game, with how much time I wasted in front of D2, I'd be out on my rump in a second. This is the only nerdy RPG video game I've ever played, but man, did I effin play it!A couple more links:

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/faq/

http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/080628.html

The gameplay vid seems pretty polished... but I wonder when it will be released. 2009? 2010? The faq says "we don't know".

The gameplay vid seems pretty polished... but I wonder when it will be released. 2009? 2010? The faq says "we don't know".
I'd bet there's going to be a good push to have it out by Christmas. But if it isn't ready, Blizzard has a rep of delaying releases. I'd still have to bet by early '09.

I'd bet there's going to be a good push to have it out by Christmas. But if it isn't ready, Blizzard has a rep of delaying releases. I'd still have to bet by early '09.
There's no way it will be out by Christmas. Starcraft 2 was announced in May 2007 and there's not even a release date or target date for that. And yes, the gameplay looked pretty polished with 2 characters in 2 different zones, but they're not even ready to ANNOUNCE any of the other classes or how many there will be. You've still got at least 15-18 months to drool over this game before you'll be able to touch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no way it will be out by Christmas. Starcraft 2 was announced in May 2007 and there's not even a release date or target date for that. And yes, the gameplay looked pretty polished with 2 characters in 2 different zones, but they're not even ready to ANNOUNCE any of the other classes or how many there will be. You've still got at least 15-18 months to drool over this game before you'll be able to touch it.
I know :goodposting:It was more wishful thinking than anything. :yes:

Christmas, definitely. What year is the question?

SC2 for this xmas, D3 for next, IMO.

SC2 for this xmas, D3 for next, IMO.
I wish this was true, but knowing Blizzard.... no way.

While i was busy procrastinating i discovered that Blizzard released a new class to the public:

The Wizard

i don't know why they wouldn't just name it Sorceress. Wizard is as cliche as it gets.

Last edited:
While i was busy procrastinating i discovered that Blizzard released a new class to the public:

The Wizard

i don't know why they wouldn't just name it Sorceress. Wizard is as cliche as it gets.
I don't care what they call it, that looks ####### awesome. That lich king is badass. Man I can't wait for this. :nerd: :shrug: :nerd:

The Wizard

I don't care what they call it, that looks ####### awesome. That lich king is badass. Man I can't wait for this. :nerd: :popcorn: :nerd:
Also looking forward to this. Surprised that they're only releasing 5 classes at launch. Although D2 had that many, you'd think they'd continue along the lines of D2 LOD with more choices.

The Wizard

I don't care what they call it, that looks ####### awesome. That lich king is badass. Man I can't wait for this. :lol: :lmao: :nerd:
Also looking forward to this. Surprised that they're only releasing 5 classes at launch. Although D2 had that many, you'd think they'd continue along the lines of D2 LOD with more choices.
Besides the 5 classes released at launch, im guessing they'll add 5 more classes. All of which will come in a different expansion pack.

awesomeness said:
Anonymous Internet User said:
Shrek said:
awesomeness said:

The Wizard

I don't care what they call it, that looks ####### awesome. That lich king is badass. Man I can't wait for this. :nerd: :excited: :nerd:
Besides the 5 classes released at launch, im guessing they'll add 5 more classes. All of which will come in a different expansion pack.
You can absolutely be assured there will be at least one expansion pack, if not several. Blizzard knows how to bleed their fans.

It's too early to estimate Diablo III's release date. As with all Blizzard Entertainment games, our goal is to create a game that is as fun, balanced, and polished as possible. We intend to take as much time developing Diablo III as is necessary to ensure the game meets our own high expectations and those of our players. We're aiming to release Diablo III on both Mac and Windows simultaneously in as many regions as possible, and to localize the game in several languages. We'll have more details to share about countries, languages, and specific dates as we get closer to release.
:goodposting:

I'm pretty pumped about this, even though they've been teasing us for close to 4 years! It is expected to be released this year.

It's similar to WoW but should be much less of a time sink. 60 levels, can complete with 1 player - so no dependence on raids/guilds etc..., more:

Similarities with WoW

Is an RPG, and therefore both include several genre-defining features.

Gold is used as a primary resource for player-player trade.

Auction House is planned.

Skill system works similarily to the World of Warcraft talent system.

Uses particle effects to make massive spells and glows in general.

Automated status point distribution system.

Dissimilarities

Diablo- Isometric camera

WoW- First to third person free floating camera.

Diablo- A focus on one against many, with one on one challenges.

WoW- A focus on one on one, with one against many challenges.

Diablo- Completable with a single player, giving the feeling that it is you against the world.

WoW- Group/Raid only content, gives the feeling that you are taking part in a war.

Diablo- Fast paced, often blurred combat.

WoW- Slower, more focused combat.

Diablo- Wide variety of epic skills, lets the player choose how they fight and makes them feel legendary.

WoW- Smaller more specialized skill set, allows the player to efficiently complete their role.

Diablo - completely damage oriented class design

WoW - Tank, heal, damage class separation

Diablo - point and cast/perform action (ideal with an isometric view)

WoW - select and switch through targets and cast/perform action (at least for most damage spells, except AoE)
http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_vs_WoW_controversy

The release date is steadily moving back from December of 2011, to January of 2012, to who knows when in 2012. I have it already paid for with a gift card, so it is just the waiting game now. :kicksrock:

im guessing mid 2012

i cannot wait though

i spent many of years and hours playing diablo 1 and 2.

CANNOT .. WAIT

I loved Diablo II and plan to play D3 as well, but I have a feeling that Guild Wars 2 is going to destroy this on a fun-level for me.

I've been playing the beta for a month or two. Here's my take:

This is very much a "diablo" game in that they've really captured the gameplay / feel from the previous games. I mean they've nailed it. Click-clicking on loot (which is now personal to you) and destroying tons of monsters is still super satisfying. The environments and spell effects are beautiful. The "destructible" environment feature they've touted is sorta meh to me, it rarely gets used to destroy bad guys. Stellar art direction -- the graphics are beautiful but not in a Crysis graphics-card-crippling way -- typical Blizzard game in this regard and they hit it out of the park as usual.

They've added achievements as is in fashion in games these days, the ones in the beta are pretty cool but don't seem to confer any benefits on your characters -- not sure what they have planned for the release version.

There are some fun "events" that can pop up when you're going through areas -- I like these a lot (jar of souls for one) but many playing the beta seem to want to skip over these and just run as fast as possible to the next boss.

Crafting seems useful as you're leveling, but they recently removed the ability to disenchant while not in town, and normal "white" items are no longer used to disenchant and then re-craft from the resulting materials (instead you end up selling white / grey items in town for cash). Not sure how I feel about this change, but it's not a huge issue. What's cool is that you don't craft yourself, you have a blacksmith that follows you around the acts and levels up as you spend gold on them. And at least in the beta, the same blacksmith is used across all characters (e.g. no need to level multiple blacksmiths)

Grouping is easy using their matchmaking system, but there seems to be no global chat as there were on the D2 battle.net servers. This is probably a good thing mind you :) The net code seems a little buggy -- a few releases ago, I got very little lag but now it stutters a bunch, especially when starting a new game. I know they just sent out a bunch more invites, probably to perform load testing, so this is to be expected.

The auction house UI is terrible for browsing items. I really hope they fix this prior to release. Otherwise the AH is a pretty cool feature. I'm not sure how the real money vs. gold AH factor will play out, in terms of what you'll be able to find on each. It seems like the sheer number of loot permutations will keep this game interesting, and make playing the AH worthwhile.

In terms of classes, each plays similarly to a class from D2:

D2 Sorc = D3 Wizard

Amazon = Demon Hunter

Paladin = Monk (each can heal, but monk has more ninja-like attack skills)

Necro = Witch Doctor (similar in that both summon creatures)

Barb = Barb (almost identical)

I'm enjoying playing mostly the wizard and demon hunter. Both are super fun, even up to the level 13 cap, and you can see the potential when the more bad ### skills get unlocked later on. The wizard is like a typical RPG glass cannon, but what's cool is that their "mana" (or arcane power as it's called I believe) regenerates really quickly so you're never far away from nuking something. The demon hunter's mana ("hatred") regenerates a lot more slowly, but they also have this other mana thing (discipline) that activates other types of abilities that don't require shooting (like evasive maneuvers and ####). That, and you can dual-wield one-hand crossbow guns, which is awesome.

The main problem with the beta (well, not a problem really, as I'm certain this was intended) is that it only contains maybe 10% of the game (on normal difficulty, so it's VERY easy), maybe 25% of the skills for each class, and no runestones which will be used to customize skills. Customizing through runestones and playing on the harder difficulties are two big factors that are going to give this game legs. The beta gives you a taste of what is likely to come, which is potentially awesome, but you can't be 100% sure you won't burn out on it long term.

In short, I wouldn't expect anything earth-shattering in terms of novel or unique gameplay, but if you're looking for a modern version of D2, with all the improvements that modernity brings, you should be very pleased. I rate this a BUY

Wow I would love this game to come to the consoles some day. It does appear from wiki that they are at least considering the port.

Blizzard is considering a concept design for consoles, reportedly even hiring staff for a console version,[42][43] while stating this concept will not affect PC/Macintosh release dates.[44] The project's lead designer Josh Mosqueira said that Blizzard is "very, very serious about bringing the Diablo 3 experience to the console".[45]On 10 January 2012, Blizzard community manager Bashiok tweeted "Yup. Josh Mosqueira is lead designer for the Diablo console project." [46] However, a Blizzard spokesperson later clarified that Bashiok’s tweet was only "intended as a confirmation that [blizzard] is actively exploring the possibility of developing a console version of Diablo III," adding, "This is not a confirmation that Diablo III is coming to any console platform." [47]

Wow I would love this game to come to the consoles some day. It does appear from wiki that they are at least considering the port.

Blizzard is considering a concept design for consoles, reportedly even hiring staff for a console version,[42][43] while stating this concept will not affect PC/Macintosh release dates.[44] The project's lead designer Josh Mosqueira said that Blizzard is "very, very serious about bringing the Diablo 3 experience to the console".[45]On 10 January 2012, Blizzard community manager Bashiok tweeted "Yup. Josh Mosqueira is lead designer for the Diablo console project." [46] However, a Blizzard spokesperson later clarified that Bashiok’s tweet was only "intended as a confirmation that [blizzard] is actively exploring the possibility of developing a console version of Diablo III," adding, "This is not a confirmation that Diablo III is coming to any console platform." [47]
based on the limited tech trees and customization (compared to a game like wow), it seems very doable to bring it to xbox/ps3

In short, I wouldn't expect anything earth-shattering in terms of novel or unique gameplay, but if you're looking for a modern version of D2, with all the improvements that modernity brings, you should be very pleased. I rate this a BUY
Exactly what I want :thumbup: Thanks for the summary.

I've been playing the beta for a month or two. Here's my take:This is very much a "diablo" game in that they've really captured the gameplay / feel from the previous games. I mean they've nailed it. Click-clicking on loot (which is now personal to you) and destroying tons of monsters is still super satisfying. The environments and spell effects are beautiful. The "destructible" environment feature they've touted is sorta meh to me, it rarely gets used to destroy bad guys. Stellar art direction -- the graphics are beautiful but not in a Crysis graphics-card-crippling way -- typical Blizzard game in this regard and they hit it out of the park as usual.They've added achievements as is in fashion in games these days, the ones in the beta are pretty cool but don't seem to confer any benefits on your characters -- not sure what they have planned for the release version.There are some fun "events" that can pop up when you're going through areas -- I like these a lot (jar of souls for one) but many playing the beta seem to want to skip over these and just run as fast as possible to the next boss.Crafting seems useful as you're leveling, but they recently removed the ability to disenchant while not in town, and normal "white" items are no longer used to disenchant and then re-craft from the resulting materials (instead you end up selling white / grey items in town for cash). Not sure how I feel about this change, but it's not a huge issue. What's cool is that you don't craft yourself, you have a blacksmith that follows you around the acts and levels up as you spend gold on them. And at least in the beta, the same blacksmith is used across all characters (e.g. no need to level multiple blacksmiths)Grouping is easy using their matchmaking system, but there seems to be no global chat as there were on the D2 battle.net servers. This is probably a good thing mind you :) The net code seems a little buggy -- a few releases ago, I got very little lag but now it stutters a bunch, especially when starting a new game. I know they just sent out a bunch more invites, probably to perform load testing, so this is to be expected.The auction house UI is terrible for browsing items. I really hope they fix this prior to release. Otherwise the AH is a pretty cool feature. I'm not sure how the real money vs. gold AH factor will play out, in terms of what you'll be able to find on each. It seems like the sheer number of loot permutations will keep this game interesting, and make playing the AH worthwhile.In terms of classes, each plays similarly to a class from D2:D2 Sorc = D3 WizardAmazon = Demon HunterPaladin = Monk (each can heal, but monk has more ninja-like attack skills)Necro = Witch Doctor (similar in that both summon creatures)Barb = Barb (almost identical)I'm enjoying playing mostly the wizard and demon hunter. Both are super fun, even up to the level 13 cap, and you can see the potential when the more bad ### skills get unlocked later on. The wizard is like a typical RPG glass cannon, but what's cool is that their "mana" (or arcane power as it's called I believe) regenerates really quickly so you're never far away from nuking something. The demon hunter's mana ("hatred") regenerates a lot more slowly, but they also have this other mana thing (discipline) that activates other types of abilities that don't require shooting (like evasive maneuvers and ####). That, and you can dual-wield one-hand crossbow guns, which is awesome.The main problem with the beta (well, not a problem really, as I'm certain this was intended) is that it only contains maybe 10% of the game (on normal difficulty, so it's VERY easy), maybe 25% of the skills for each class, and no runestones which will be used to customize skills. Customizing through runestones and playing on the harder difficulties are two big factors that are going to give this game legs. The beta gives you a taste of what is likely to come, which is potentially awesome, but you can't be 100% sure you won't burn out on it long term.In short, I wouldn't expect anything earth-shattering in terms of novel or unique gameplay, but if you're looking for a modern version of D2, with all the improvements that modernity brings, you should be very pleased. I rate this a BUY
Good stuff Snitwitch.Do you know how the runestones work - are those drops and items you need to buy in the AH or does everyone have access to all of them (i.e. you don't need them in inventory)? I assumed the former.I'm a little worried about the real money AH - are there two of them, one gold based and one real money based or is it only real money based? Hopefully with all of the money leaching that Blizzard is doing (cost to list, cost to sell, cost to transfer) people will refrain from buying out all of 1 item from the AH and then relist it for 2x or 3x what they paid for it. I know I used to do this a lot with wow with craftable materials. I guess the fact that you just need gold to level up crafting will mitigate that aspect. I can still see there being a "black market" for rare drops. One legendary bow selling for $8 in the AH and I just got a drop of 1, I'm most likely buying that bow and relisting it for $25 and if that sells relist the 2nd one for $25 or less.I believe there is still a public chat channel for trading (maybe not in beta) but I read that p2p trading was allowed and you will need some way to broadcast your items.So the difficulties - there's normal (sc), hard (hc), and inferno? Is the AH only in sc and hc and not inferno? Also different AH's for different levels (but maybe across all acts? Do you only die forever in inferno or is that true with hc as well?When I watched the play throughs I only saw the narrator in the video, I assume every part of the world is instanced (to yourself)?

I know :goodposting:It was more wishful thinking than anything. :yes:
Blizzard is consistant with taking a LONG time for games to come out but damn they deliver when they finally arrive.

Found a treasure trove of info. on runestones:

http://www.diablowiki.com/Runestones

Rarity

Skill runes will be added as part of the random loot that monsters drop. Runes start to drop in Act II in normal difficulty and will then continue to drop throughout all the difficulties.. It is unknown just how rare the skill runes will be but Blizzard has mentioned that they intend for low level runes to be fairly common so players can experiment with them, while tier 7 runes are intended to be very rare and long-term goals for players to strive towards.

Sounds like these could be BIG AH items.

Video showing 1 "spell" per character type and how it is affected by runestones:

So when is this actually going to be released?
No release date, sounds like in 2012. I'd expect the release date to be announced at BlizzCon...wait:http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/01/blizzcon-2012-canceledbut-why.arsHmmm, my guess would be no later than July 1st but that is just pulling a date out of the air.

I can't remember when I was more stoked for a game to come out...latest barbarian build (going to take a look at Monk next, saw a play through that made this class look pretty baller).

There are so many build possibilites, really looking forward to this game, here's my latest incarnation which is a heavy crit build but has decent survivability:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#YZadXU!ZcY!abbbYa

Start with Passives since they are always active...

Passives

Ruthless + Weapons Master will add 10% crit and +50% crit damage - I'm still not sold on Weapons Master, I guess two slow weapons > 1 really slow 2H (see Revenge below though)

Inspiring Presence for survivability, double cry length with 2% life leach all the time (i.e. don't need to deal damage to get life regen)

Actives

Fury Generators

Bash - opted for Golden for 67% increased fury generation

Leap Attack is a staple in any of my builds - went golden for survivability +400% armor

Fury Spenders

Battle Rage w/ Alabaster (only because this is a crit-heavy build)

Hammer of the Ancients w/ Golden for crit effect - picked this as a spammable fury dump that is mostly single target, but is actually a small arc AoE - chose this over other options due to +15% crit (this will be critting A LOT)

Situational

Revenge is another staple in most of my builds, it lacks a little punch if I DW w/ Axe mainhand, but still increases my crit up ANOTHER 21% for 10 seconds with the added bonus of a 5% life leach on activation

Ignore Pain - new skill for me in my builds, a FREE 65% damage reduction for 8 seconds out of every 30 seems like a no brainer, key for elemental battles. I chose this over the reduced CD to 10s and lose 1 second due to this (9 vs. 8), but in reality I don't think anyone will get better affect and will successfully click it that often to min-max this ability. I feel when I really need it, I want it lasting me 8 seconds to survive imminent (caster) danger.

Since Open Beta is available now, and they invited some 100,000 people in to test it, I would expect them to chew on it for 1-3 months, tweak it if needed, and release it.

So I'm guessing May-June at the earliest. Maybe late summer.

first char will be a demon hunter. looks sexy and gota love the run and pwn hes got great for clearing dungeons solo

This is the first video game in a while that I really am looking forward to buying. Loved both D1 and D2

I've been playing the beta for a month or two.
Are you able to make any decent gear at the blacksmith? Is this a good weapon or do you find the drops are generally better?http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/journeyman-dervishDo you need a drop that lets you make it?Actually how many recipes can you make by default and how many are recipe drops?Last Q: Can you sell recipes in the AH?

I've been playing the beta for a month or two.
Are you able to make any decent gear at the blacksmith? Is this a good weapon or do you find the drops are generally better?http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/journeyman-dervish

Do you need a drop that lets you make it?

Actually how many recipes can you make by default and how many are recipe drops?

Last Q: Can you sell recipes in the AH?
Crafting does result in decent gear, very often better than what you find in normal item drops. I'm 90% certain the weapon you linked does not require a separate recipe, it just becomes available when you level the blacksmith enough. It's better than what you normally find as weapon drops but it's also not usable in the beta as it requires level 14. I think crafting will be very useful for leveling. After you reach the cap, i'm not so sure -- may depend on what rare type recipes you have. The mats required for the weapon you linked are obtained from disenchanting blue items (which gives you this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/subtle-essence) and yellow items (which gives you this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/fallen-tooth).I think I tried to sell a rare belt recipe on the AH and was unsuccessful -- I believe there's an AH button that allows you to search for crafting recipes (and dyes and stuff) so I'm assuming you'll be able to sell this stuff on the AH at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread