What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals waive RB Kenny Irons (1 Viewer)

H Jass

Footballguy
Some people thought he'd start the season on the PUP, at worst. This was unexpected.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I didnt overpay for him in dynasty to backup Rudi last season (Also glad I traded rudi for turner). Anyone think they may bring in a FA older back for a 1 year stint?

Glad I didnt overpay for him in dynasty to backup Rudi last season (Also glad I traded rudi for turner). Anyone think they may bring in a FA older back for a 1 year stint?
Sean Alexander could conceivably end up there given that he's from the area.Count me in the surprised camp about Irons, although I guess they could always re-sign him to the practice squad. If nothing else, Rudi is looking better and better as a value play. I don't see the journeyman Watson or the eternally banged-up Perry as major threats.

What a bummer. Never got a chance. The coaches really talked him up as a 'character guy', too. Something we sorely need around here.

Sean Alexander could conceivably end up there given that he's from the area.Count me in the surprised camp about Irons, although I guess they could always re-sign him to the practice squad. If nothing else, Rudi is looking better and better as a value play. I don't see the journeyman Watson or the eternally banged-up Perry as major threats.
lol ok

What a bummer. Never got a chance. The coaches really talked him up as a 'character guy', too. Something we sorely need around here.
Yeah, no kidding. That said, and the article alludes to this, you have to wonder if this is merely a way to get him onto the season-ending injury list. Either way, obviously this ends his season which is very disappointing. However, I'd be even more surprised if the Bengals have completely written him off.

for all of you who may have thought it was crazy for a top rookie to hold out, here is a fine example of why they doholdout to get the guaranteed signing bonus that will take care of you if not for the rest of your life at least until you can establish yourself elsewhere because a devastating injury on your first carry means the team that drafted you will not

Shucks, 2nd round pick last year to outright cut in one year's time. That blows.

Well, one less body to worry about for those targeting the Cinci RB's as a value play.

for all of you who may have thought it was crazy for a top rookie to hold out, here is a fine example of why they doholdout to get the guaranteed signing bonus that will take care of you if not for the rest of your life at least until you can establish yourself elsewhere because a devastating injury on your first carry means the team that drafted you will not
Maybe so, but that 'set for life' kind of money for top rookies will end with the next CBA, if not before. Perhaps the only issue on which owners and veteran players agree.

lol ok
So what's your take then?

If Perry is healthy, they won't need to sign another RB.
Very interesting indeed. I think it helps those that are trying to get the Bengal's mess locked up. Not sure if there are other movitations like one poster mentioned, but I think at the least it says that Perry is coming around, if not already there...

dynasty owners...sit and wait?cut bait?make space for another player?
If he didn't count as a roster exemption for me this season he'd have been on waivers even before this news. Then again, I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place, damn inherited teams. Anyway, yes, I would dump him if you haven't done so already, but then again I have been a doubter from the beginning.

MAC_32 said:
greyone said:
dynasty owners...

sit and wait?

cut bait?

make space for another player?
If he didn't count as a roster exemption for me this season he'd have been on waivers even before this news. Then again, I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place, damn inherited teams. Anyway, yes, I would dump him if you haven't done so already, but then again I have been a doubter from the beginning.
:pokey:

Last edited by a moderator:
greyone said:
dynasty owners...sit and wait?cut bait?make space for another player?
I was thinking of cutting him already, so definitely cut now. What a nightmare running game to own... so many roster spaces needed.

MAC_32 said:
greyone said:
dynasty owners...

sit and wait?

cut bait?

make space for another player?
:yes:
I completely agree. He didn't look like NFL material his last year in college. I watched him play in the bowl game and crossed him off all future draft lists. The ACL just quickened his exit IMO.

Ahh, the brilliant Kenny Irons. Here's a sample of an interview. It's worth every minute that you spend reading it.

Question: If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing that you would buy and why?

Answer: “I would buy a huge house. When you are young you idolize people and they have big, huge houses. They have these big houses with all these different rooms. They are so nice and lovely and they are somewhere that you can go and relax and you can have a big bed like Shaquille O’Neil. Shaquille O’Neal has a 30-foot bed. Who has a 30-foot bed in their house? Just imagine having something like that and relaxing and just saying I’m home. And you can have a lot of go-carts out in front of your house to ride in.”

Q: What is your most prized possession and something that you could not live without?

A: “Candy, I love candy. I love candy bars and snacks. If they didn’t make snacks and junk food then I would be lost. I wake up in the morning eating honey buns. (Strength and Conditioning) Coach Yoxall wants us to gain weight and I tell him that I eat good food and then he asks what I have been eating. I always tell him that I’ve had two Little Debbie snacks, some brownies, and some cookies. He always tells me that is not going to help me gain weight, but I love snacks. I would eat snacks over any kind of healthy food any day.”

Q: If you had to be stranded on a deserted island for one month, which one of your teammates would you want to bring with you and why?

A: “I would bring Tre Smith because he is the most unique person ever. He thinks of the most amazing things. If we were on a deserted island we would probably sit around and think about what he brought up yesterday. He said ‘What if a team was on the 50-yard line and they had to kick a field goal to win the game and you had somebody like Carl Stewart who has a 42-inch vertical? If the team kicks the ball and they are barely going to make it and it is just going to graze inside the goalpost and you have Carl jump up and block it before it gets there, would that be OK? And would they count that? What could they do? That is a really good question because there is no goaltending in football so they couldn’t do anything about it because Carl just jumps up and blocks it.’ Tre is just wild and he is exciting and good to be around so I would bring Tre Smith.”

Q: Out of all of your teammates, who would make the best politician?

A: “Will Herring would make the best politician because he is very smart. He is a smart guy and if you want to argue with him about something you have to have your facts. Arguing with him is like arguing with a lawyer. He has all the information online and he is ready and he can back up anything. So I think that Will would make a good politician. He should run for governor of Alabama or mayor of Auburn.”

Q: What is your favorite Auburn tradition and why?

A: “The rolling of Toomer’s corner because I had never experienced something so amazing in my life. When I came to Auburn I saw all of these people huddled around this tree and I was like, ‘What is this?’ You have all of these people and they have all of this toilet paper. They have soft toilet paper and every kind of toilet paper and they are all throwing it at a tree. I was like ‘Why are they throwing all of this toilet paper at a tree?,’ and they told me that they were rolling Toomer’s corner. I asked who is going to clean all of this mess up and they told me that the wind would blow it all away or the rain would wash it down. They said sometimes they have people come clean it up and I said that I wouldn’t want to have to clean up all of this toilet paper.”

Q: What is your best talent outside of football?

A: “Drawing. I like to draw, if you consider that a talent. I like to disguise myself as other people, too. I call that a talent. I like telling people that I am somebody else. I tell people that I play water polo and if they ask me what position I play I tell them right water. I don’t even know if that is a position but I tell them that I play right water.”

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: “In ten years from now I see myself being on the beach just lounging. I just want to lounge around in a nice beach house and I will have a four-wheeler on the beach so I can drive around. I just want to be able to hang around and have fun. I also see my traveling around the world. I want to go to little islands that are just out there somewhere far and I would also like to go to Europe. I’ve never been to Europe or Paris. I want to go somewhere like Fiji or Tahiti.”

Ahh, the brilliant Kenny Irons. Here's a sample of an interview. It's worth every minute that you spend reading it.Question: If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing that you would buy and why?Answer: “I would buy a huge house. When you are young you idolize people and they have big, huge houses. They have these big houses with all these different rooms. They are so nice and lovely and they are somewhere that you can go and relax and you can have a big bed like Shaquille O’Neil. Shaquille O’Neal has a 30-foot bed. Who has a 30-foot bed in their house? Just imagine having something like that and relaxing and just saying I’m home. And you can have a lot of go-carts out in front of your house to ride in.”Q: What is your most prized possession and something that you could not live without?A: “Candy, I love candy. I love candy bars and snacks. If they didn’t make snacks and junk food then I would be lost. I wake up in the morning eating honey buns. (Strength and Conditioning) Coach Yoxall wants us to gain weight and I tell him that I eat good food and then he asks what I have been eating. I always tell him that I’ve had two Little Debbie snacks, some brownies, and some cookies. He always tells me that is not going to help me gain weight, but I love snacks. I would eat snacks over any kind of healthy food any day.”Q: If you had to be stranded on a deserted island for one month, which one of your teammates would you want to bring with you and why?A: “I would bring Tre Smith because he is the most unique person ever. He thinks of the most amazing things. If we were on a deserted island we would probably sit around and think about what he brought up yesterday. He said ‘What if a team was on the 50-yard line and they had to kick a field goal to win the game and you had somebody like Carl Stewart who has a 42-inch vertical? If the team kicks the ball and they are barely going to make it and it is just going to graze inside the goalpost and you have Carl jump up and block it before it gets there, would that be OK? And would they count that? What could they do? That is a really good question because there is no goaltending in football so they couldn’t do anything about it because Carl just jumps up and blocks it.’ Tre is just wild and he is exciting and good to be around so I would bring Tre Smith.”Q: Out of all of your teammates, who would make the best politician?A: “Will Herring would make the best politician because he is very smart. He is a smart guy and if you want to argue with him about something you have to have your facts. Arguing with him is like arguing with a lawyer. He has all the information online and he is ready and he can back up anything. So I think that Will would make a good politician. He should run for governor of Alabama or mayor of Auburn.”Q: What is your favorite Auburn tradition and why?A: “The rolling of Toomer’s corner because I had never experienced something so amazing in my life. When I came to Auburn I saw all of these people huddled around this tree and I was like, ‘What is this?’ You have all of these people and they have all of this toilet paper. They have soft toilet paper and every kind of toilet paper and they are all throwing it at a tree. I was like ‘Why are they throwing all of this toilet paper at a tree?,’ and they told me that they were rolling Toomer’s corner. I asked who is going to clean all of this mess up and they told me that the wind would blow it all away or the rain would wash it down. They said sometimes they have people come clean it up and I said that I wouldn’t want to have to clean up all of this toilet paper.”Q: What is your best talent outside of football?A: “Drawing. I like to draw, if you consider that a talent. I like to disguise myself as other people, too. I call that a talent. I like telling people that I am somebody else. I tell people that I play water polo and if they ask me what position I play I tell them right water. I don’t even know if that is a position but I tell them that I play right water.”Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?A: “In ten years from now I see myself being on the beach just lounging. I just want to lounge around in a nice beach house and I will have a four-wheeler on the beach so I can drive around. I just want to be able to hang around and have fun. I also see my traveling around the world. I want to go to little islands that are just out there somewhere far and I would also like to go to Europe. I’ve never been to Europe or Paris. I want to go somewhere like Fiji or Tahiti.”
:goodposting:Thanks for this. I've been looking for a new signature.

Ahh, the brilliant Kenny Irons. Here's a sample of an interview. It's worth every minute that you spend reading it.Question: If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing that you would buy and why?Answer: “I would buy a huge house. When you are young you idolize people and they have big, huge houses. They have these big houses with all these different rooms. They are so nice and lovely and they are somewhere that you can go and relax and you can have a big bed like Shaquille O’Neil. Shaquille O’Neal has a 30-foot bed. Who has a 30-foot bed in their house? Just imagine having something like that and relaxing and just saying I’m home. And you can have a lot of go-carts out in front of your house to ride in.”Q: What is your most prized possession and something that you could not live without?A: “Candy, I love candy. I love candy bars and snacks. If they didn’t make snacks and junk food then I would be lost. I wake up in the morning eating honey buns. (Strength and Conditioning) Coach Yoxall wants us to gain weight and I tell him that I eat good food and then he asks what I have been eating. I always tell him that I’ve had two Little Debbie snacks, some brownies, and some cookies. He always tells me that is not going to help me gain weight, but I love snacks. I would eat snacks over any kind of healthy food any day.”Q: If you had to be stranded on a deserted island for one month, which one of your teammates would you want to bring with you and why?A: “I would bring Tre Smith because he is the most unique person ever. He thinks of the most amazing things. If we were on a deserted island we would probably sit around and think about what he brought up yesterday. He said ‘What if a team was on the 50-yard line and they had to kick a field goal to win the game and you had somebody like Carl Stewart who has a 42-inch vertical? If the team kicks the ball and they are barely going to make it and it is just going to graze inside the goalpost and you have Carl jump up and block it before it gets there, would that be OK? And would they count that? What could they do? That is a really good question because there is no goaltending in football so they couldn’t do anything about it because Carl just jumps up and blocks it.’ Tre is just wild and he is exciting and good to be around so I would bring Tre Smith.”Q: Out of all of your teammates, who would make the best politician?A: “Will Herring would make the best politician because he is very smart. He is a smart guy and if you want to argue with him about something you have to have your facts. Arguing with him is like arguing with a lawyer. He has all the information online and he is ready and he can back up anything. So I think that Will would make a good politician. He should run for governor of Alabama or mayor of Auburn.”Q: What is your favorite Auburn tradition and why?A: “The rolling of Toomer’s corner because I had never experienced something so amazing in my life. When I came to Auburn I saw all of these people huddled around this tree and I was like, ‘What is this?’ You have all of these people and they have all of this toilet paper. They have soft toilet paper and every kind of toilet paper and they are all throwing it at a tree. I was like ‘Why are they throwing all of this toilet paper at a tree?,’ and they told me that they were rolling Toomer’s corner. I asked who is going to clean all of this mess up and they told me that the wind would blow it all away or the rain would wash it down. They said sometimes they have people come clean it up and I said that I wouldn’t want to have to clean up all of this toilet paper.”Q: What is your best talent outside of football?A: “Drawing. I like to draw, if you consider that a talent. I like to disguise myself as other people, too. I call that a talent. I like telling people that I am somebody else. I tell people that I play water polo and if they ask me what position I play I tell them right water. I don’t even know if that is a position but I tell them that I play right water.”Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?A: “In ten years from now I see myself being on the beach just lounging. I just want to lounge around in a nice beach house and I will have a four-wheeler on the beach so I can drive around. I just want to be able to hang around and have fun. I also see my traveling around the world. I want to go to little islands that are just out there somewhere far and I would also like to go to Europe. I’ve never been to Europe or Paris. I want to go somewhere like Fiji or Tahiti.”
This can't be a real interview can it? too ridiculous to be real.

That's his personality. He's a goofball. Anything said about Kenny by his brother David is just as goofy too. David once told a friend of mine that Kenny was adopted, sort of. They found him in a garbage can, and felt sorry for him and brought him home. This whole interview is him being silly. And for the poster who scratched him off of his draft board after seeing his last bowl game. He never looked like the '05 Kenny w/ all the injuries he had in '06.

I didn't notice it when I posted the interview, but Capstone has a link to this interview about halfway up the page.Yep it's real!

Seems like this is more as a result of Rudy Johnson's off season success coming back from the hammy than Perry, Watson or anyone else.

I don't think many expected Kenny to be a factor this season anyway. I expected him to be pup'd or ir'd. What this tells me though, is that the recovery from his injury might be continuing to look worse than initially expected. Tis a shame. I thought Irons was a very nice prospect coming out of college. The Bengals have been absolutely hammered with bad luck on early picks, whether it be character (where a significant portion of blame goes on them) or injury. It's hard to progress without getting significant return on a majority of these picks.

How many players in todays NFL have NOT come back 100% from an ACL injury? Usually the first year after they may seem a step slower, but the next season they are usually looking like their old selves.. and he being so young I don't think there is any question he should be 100% again and still be very young. Which makes me think there is more to the story, like when they suddenly dumped Odell, at first it seemed it was because he was late getting back from a funeral...which really didn't make sense, then 2 weeks later we find out he was drinking again. They either really jumped the gun on dumping him or we have not heard the "whole" truth/story yet.

Seems like this is more as a result of Rudy Johnson's off season success coming back from the hammy than Perry, Watson or anyone else.
:kicksrock:
I don't agree with this. I think Irons being cut is solely because his recovery is not going well. If it had anything to do with the current RBs, it would likely be more related to Perry being healthy, but I just think it is a reflection of the recovery of Irons not going as good as hoped.

I think Irons being cut is solely because his recovery is not going well.

:goodposting:

it's been a full year now and still isn't close to being fully recovered...

Maybe so, but that 'set for life' kind of money for top rookies will end with the next CBA, if not before. Perhaps the only issue on which owners and veteran players agree.
Not to sidetrack too much, but I think you are right - this will be the one bone neither of those dogs will fight over.Re: Irons, it's shame - his knee must really be jacked. I think another team will take a chance on him, though - at least to check him out.

"The Bengals anticipate that injured running back Kenny Irons is going to clear waivers Monday. At that point he'll most likely return to the club and be put on season-ending injured reserve.

One bright spot for Irons. Lewis said he's about where Chris Perry was last year, and Perry looked like the old Perry Monday morning. He did what he was doing in the spring, sticking his injured ankle in the ground and getting up field."

Bengals.com

Users who are viewing this thread