What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (2 Viewers)

Dude, what part of preseason don't you understand? Please, stop trying to pin what type of back he's going to be by 6 runs in his first preseason game. And string? You're saying he went vs. 2nd string? I'm sure he had players on his team too, blocking, etc who weren't first team. Or maybe they're trying new things, guys are rusty etc.

Other players who didn't do well don't try in preseason though? :

Joe Addai, 4/0 WITH his long run.

F.Jones had 5/13 if you take out his long run.

Larry Johnson 7/11 without his long run.

Reggie Bush 6/11 without his long run.

K.Smith, 7/15 without his long run.

R.Rice, 5/7 without long run.

Maroney, 5/0 wihtout long run.

Selvin Young, 3/-4 without his long run.

M.Lynch, 2/4 without his long run.

J.Lewis, 2/0 without his long run.

Thomas Jones, 3/6 without his long run.

Frank Gore, 1/0 without his long run.

See how ridiculous this game of yours is?

For further information, please watch this for more ridiculousness, and proof he doesn't just try to "outrun" others:

Jeez, maybe its just me, but those guys you listed above (minus Rice & Jones) have already proven they can be an NFL RB. Why is it so unacceptable to be critical of a rookie's ability? Until he shows us more than straight line speed in an NFL game, I will remain skeptical too, regardless of how many Conference USA college highlight videos you have.

For further information, please watch this for more ridiculousness, and proof he doesn't just try to "outrun" others:

I saw 2 or 3 plays there where he did more than just outrun the defense. He looked good breaking several one arm tackles and poor attempts at tackling where the defender left his feet. I don't think Johnson will see too much of that in the NFL.Look, I like the guy and I'll think he'll make an impact fantasy-wise at some point but not as a prototypical RB. He will be one of the new generation of NFL spread-offense RB's.

Dude, what part of preseason don't you understand? Please, stop trying to pin what type of back he's going to be by 6 runs in his first preseason game. And string? You're saying he went vs. 2nd string? I'm sure he had players on his team too, blocking, etc who weren't first team. Or maybe they're trying new things, guys are rusty etc.

It is skeptics who allow players like:Warrick Dunn (for Years)

Tiki Barber (for a few years until the secret was out)

Brian Westbrook (for a few years)

Maurice Jones Drew (rookie year)

And now the next great PPR back in Chris Johnson

To slip to guys like us who scoop them up and benefit. Everyone has their own evaluations on players...but talent is talent and this kid has a ton of it... a playmaker who has the speed, agility, and strength to succeed. But also he is in the perfect situation. They are building the offense around Vince Young and Chris Johnson....no question about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No clue if this was mentioned already, and no chance I'm gonna dredge through all that crap, but when I think about Chris Johnson in the flat, or just him having to be watched and stuff, I have to give Vince Young's running numbers a bump. I'm no Vince Young fan, that's for sure, but for an already undervalued QB, this only helps (if the Johnson dreams indeed come to fruition).

No clue if this was mentioned already, and no chance I'm gonna dredge through all that crap, but when I think about Chris Johnson in the flat, or just him having to be watched and stuff, I have to give Vince Young's running numbers a bump. I'm no Vince Young fan, that's for sure, but for an already undervalued QB, this only helps (if the Johnson dreams indeed come to fruition).
Very good point. CJ will definitely loosen up the defense around the line which should create Vince with some great opportunities running the ball.

It's really not a bad thing IMO. Just don't be critical on 6 carries in the preseason. As shown above, you can't tell a lot from it.

If people are this high on Chris Johnson, Lendale White will probably be the Lufthansa heist of running backs this year.

You're completely missing the point. It's not "taking out his long run" - it's looking at his statistics in context. I'm much more impressed with a 5 yard carry where there is no hole, than a 66 yard carry where there was no defense. That's the point about his run. The bolded players above have already shown themselves successful in the NFL. We're not evaluating whether their college running style will translate to the NFL level. There are still questions about ALL of the rookie RBs...

Sorry if there are still people on this board unwilling to just believe Johnson will be amazing without seeing something from him.

You're completely missing the point. It's not "taking out his long run" - it's looking at his statistics in context. I'm much more impressed with a 5 yard carry where there is no hole, than a 66 yard carry where there was no defense. That's the point about his run. The bolded players above have already shown themselves successful in the NFL. We're not evaluating whether their college running style will translate to the NFL level. There are still questions about ALL of the rookie RBs...

Sorry if there are still people on this board unwilling to just believe Johnson will be amazing without seeing something from him.
:confused: Your context is preseason. That's good enough to ignore. You're faulting him for his run vs. the poor defense, and you're faulting him for his lesser yardage even though you have know idea what the line looked like, etc (and even if you did there are so many variables in preseason that it doesn't matter anyway.) I really don't get what's going on here.And no, the bolded players are important because, maybe you've missed this the last few times I've posted in the thread, but clearly these runners will not all have the same type of performance come the regular season. That's the point. They had little ypc. They won'thave that ypc starting week 1. Therefore, preseason isn't telling us everything. But for some reason, you like to analyze the stats like its going to mean something. But apparently it only means something to Chris Johnson although you then say his 66 yard run means nothing. Cool.

Felix Jones carries were:

19 yards

1 yard

2 yards

5 yards

0 yards

5 yards

Chris Johnson carries were:

3 yards

3 yards

-1 yards

6 yards

0 yards

66 yards

And there is a real difference between these two from this? Because you could tell from the preseason game apparently that CJ can't be a real RB, yet you keep talking about how great Felix will be.

And of course, you'll tell me that there were backups in CJ's game and not in Jones'. But it's preseason. Backup OL, WR, various defenders. Teams are trying new plays. Maybe some people, like you asserted about Clinton Portis, aren't trying (hey, maybe the backups try harder than the starters because their job is on the line). There are countless reasons to not take preseason stats for what they tell us on the surface.

Just stop with preseason talk. My head is going to explode if you try to reason this anymore.

I posted something similar in another Chris Johnson hype thread but I'll add my 2 cents.

I don't see CJ replacing Lendale, these two guys skill sets are two dissimilar and too complimentary to me. It's going to be a recreation of USC's offense with Lendale playing his same role and CJ taking the Reggie Bush role. That doesn't mean there won't be fantasy value from both contributors. I think Tenn wants to run the ball on 1st, run the ball on 2nd and either run the ball on 3rd or pass it to a RB. (Occasionally they'll sprinkle a pass to a TE or WR in there.)

I'm really envisioning a Rudi Johnson / Chris Perry type relationship circa 2005 in Cinci. The one that likely would have continued had Perry stayed healthy.

:goodposting: Your context is preseason. That's good enough to ignore. You're faulting him for his run vs. the poor defense, and you're faulting him for his lesser yardage even though you have know idea what the line looked like, etc (and even if you did there are so many variables in preseason that it doesn't matter anyway.) I really don't get what's going on here.
So. per your rationale, his 66 yard run is meaningless, because it was preseason. Ok, gotcha. Guess the hype should die down now that we're all clear about that.

I would much rather have Mendenhall, Stewart, McFadden, Jones, and Rice than Chris Johnson. He should be a good player, but he complements Lendale perfectly, and he won't be getting any TDs besides the long ones. He just doesn't have much upside IMO because he isn't big enough to get a lot of work. He is also very strong already for his size, so it isn't like he will be bulking up from extra time in the weight room. I think a case can be made for Johnson over Kevin Smith and Forte, but not the five list above. I would actually maybe even take Charles over him. Bottom line, IMO he is the 7th or 8th back off the board in dynasty, even with all the hype regarding one long run in the preseason.

Buffaloes said:
I posted something similar in another Chris Johnson hype thread but I'll add my 2 cents.I don't see CJ replacing Lendale, these two guys skill sets are two dissimilar and too complimentary to me. It's going to be a recreation of USC's offense with Lendale playing his same role and CJ taking the Reggie Bush role. That doesn't mean there won't be fantasy value from both contributors. I think Tenn wants to run the ball on 1st, run the ball on 2nd and either run the ball on 3rd or pass it to a RB. (Occasionally they'll sprinkle a pass to a TE or WR in there.)I'm really envisioning a Rudi Johnson / Chris Perry type relationship circa 2005 in Cinci. The one that likely would have continued had Perry stayed healthy.
I agree except I would liken it more to the Reggie Bush/McAllister days in New Orleans pre-McAllister injury. I think Tennessee is going to lean on both running backs quite a bit.
Another good comparison. However I don't see Vince or Tennesee throwing the ball nearly that much. Plus Tennessee has a much better defense so I see more of a ball control, control the clock type gameplan. Of course, we'll have to see how the defense does after losing last year's DE's and Kearse in trouble with the law.

Felix Jones carries were:19 yards1 yard2 yards5 yards0 yards5 yardsChris Johnson carries were:3 yards3 yards-1 yards6 yards 0 yards66 yardsAnd there is a real difference between these two from this? Because you could tell from the preseason game apparently that CJ can't be a real RB, yet you keep talking about how great Felix will be.
How about addressing this statement switz :shrug:

:confused: Your context is preseason. That's good enough to ignore. You're faulting him for his run vs. the poor defense, and you're faulting him for his lesser yardage even though you have know idea what the line looked like, etc (and even if you did there are so many variables in preseason that it doesn't matter anyway.) I really don't get what's going on here.
So. per your rationale, his 66 yard run is meaningless, because it was preseason. Ok, gotcha. Guess the hype should die down now that we're all clear about that.
As I've said multiple times, the run shows his potential but not much more. For more info please refer to numerous training camp talks, etc. for insight into that.
I think you're drawing too much from the preseason game. What we could tell is that he was running the ball late in the second Q [edit] (yes, bad linemen, etc too), and broke off a run to make the play off the week. Awesome play, showed off his speed, and certainly his potential.

Felix Jones carries were:

19 yards

1 yard

2 yards

5 yards

0 yards

5 yards

Chris Johnson carries were:

3 yards

3 yards

-1 yards

6 yards

0 yards

66 yards

And there is a real difference between these two from this? Because you could tell from the preseason game apparently that CJ can't be a real RB, yet you keep talking about how great Felix will be.
How about addressing this statement switz :goodposting:
I'm not the one comparing the two players in here... but since you ask...1. Very simple, the difference isn't about yards or number of carries. That was my point all along. Jones put moves on people and powered through a tackler for a couple extra yards at the end of one run. He also took a run where he should have been stopped for no gain, and powered it in for 5 yards. He showed versatility in his game, and the ability to make people miss. On the other hand, Johnson didn't show any moves or power, just speed. The questions about Johnson remain unanswered. There are no questions about his speed, it's the other things we need to see him display, like vision, moves, power. We just didn't see that in preseason game one.

2. I never said "CJ can't be a real RB" - just that there are still questions whether he can or not. Nothing in that game screamed "running back" to me... but "sprinter playing football." And the thing is, I don't think CJ IS a sprinter playing football. I saw him in college, I know he can makes plays... I simply am not convinced he'll be able to do so as much at the NFL level.

The problem in this thread is the lack of balance by the Chris Johnson fans. It's all extreme. "He's going to have 70-80% of the carries.", or if someone even raises questions about him, instead of trying to answer the question, it's "you're saying he sucks." Frankly, there are questions about every single rookie, but that doesn't mean people think they suck.

Very good point. CJ will definitely loosen up the defense around the line which should create Vince with some great opportunities running the ball.
I believe I mentioned this earlier, if not in this thread, then in another; I believe this is true, but also VY's running ability will help CJ3 find space as well. You couldn't find a better partner for each other, they were made in heaven. :lmao:

Witherspoon is an amazing athlete. He is not faster than Chris Johnson. Witherspoon ran 4.33 at Alabama's Pro Day. That's what McFadden ran in cross trainers. Witherspoon might make the team. Chris Johnson is going to be a major contributor.

I'm a big fan of Chris Johnson. Sorry some of you don't like the jokes. This is his Hype Machine according to the thread title and you have to admit some of these "believers" are over the top. Sometimes the prudent thing to do is curb that enthusiasm a little and that's the purpose of the jokes. :hifive:

I'm a big fan of this kid's potential. I ranked him 4th in this class behind DMac, Stewart, and Mendenhall. There's reason to believe I am too high on him. There's reason to believe he might be a very special talent. There's very little reason to be sure of anything. I said months ago that he is the player I am most interested in seeing play. He was often described as a poor man's Reggie Bush during draft season. I often say that Reggie Bush may be a poor man's Chris Johnson.
I actually liked some of the jokes, but it has deteriorated to the point of stupidity and there is almost no meaningful dialogue going on with regards to the hype surounding Johnson. That is why I stated I'd like to see the thread die. It's 15 pages long and maybe 2-3 pages have good information on them. The BMI tangent took up, what, 7 pages alone. I am not saying BMI is not a useful tool in evaluating talent, but it got ridiculous in here. Thankfully it got it's own thread and that debate has moved on. Every time I see this thread bumped I open it up with great anticipation that some useful information has been provided only to find another lame joke. I am a fool to think the intelligence factor would go up. Shame on me.
Yeah, you should probably get some fresh air. I tried to offer a little appeaser and some thoughts on Johnson and you just rant about the jokes. Here's why I like thinking CJ could be a better Reggie Bush than Reggie Bush. While Reggie is fast CJ is faster, actually a LOT faster. Which is pretty amazing. While Reggie is a great receiver for an RB with terrific hands and feet for adjusting to the ball, CJ actually played WR for a year and is very well schooled in the position, probably runs better routes and has equal hands. Reggie has great lateral moves, and some of thought that would be a big part of his game. Some are criticizing CJ for not having great agility in his game. As EBF has been navel gazing over BMI, I have been doing the same, more quietly, over jukes and great moves. See, it seems to me my error in evaluating Bush may have been thinking too highly of this quality when in the NFL you just got to mostly forget all that and get on down the field. CJ is more decisive than Reggie. He hits the hole with less hesitation. Reggie sees a lane close and starts dancing. CJ sees that and explodes for the nearest seam anyway. This quality, this lack of dancing, his decisiveness, may in fact make him a better player.
CJ runs down hill and that is pretty rare for a smaller faster player. reggie has more "Barry Sanders" type moves, but has not been able to translate that into gaining yards. CJ showed the ability to have forward lean and that was impressive

I believe I mentioned this earlier, if not in this thread, then in another; I believe this is true, but also VY's running ability will help CJ3 find space as well. You couldn't find a better partner for each other, they were made in heaven. :angry:
I almost wish one of them was white so we could nickname them "ebony and ivory".

I don't mean to throw a wet towel on the fire that is the Chris Johnson hype inferno, but am I the only one who thinks their is a decent chance that Chris Johnson could be this year's version of Jerious Norwood? Or even Reggie Bush light

Stop and think for a second...the Norwood (and Bush to a lesser extent) hype:

- lighning fast who is deadly in space *CHECK*

- a rookie who just has mad skills enough to possibly (if you beleive the hype) replace a decent but less than spectacular veteran *CHECK*

- a guy who was NOT drafted in the top 3 at his position (Bush, of course was) *CHECK*

If you have L. White, CJ might make a decent handcuff, and may be a suitable RB3 given matchups and if he continues to progress.

But I see his stats looking very similar to Jerious Norwood's from the recent past - which, if that's what your drafting for, is fine. ADP or Reggie Bush he is not.

Not that this is any real news in this thread but....Per Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean writes that Chris Johnson could "perhaps" overtake White as the Titans starter if he plays well early in the regular season.The note is somewhat buried in a feature on Johnson, but it's clear that the rookie's role is growing by the week. With a strong offensive line and plenty of carries to go around, we see both Titans backs as undervalued. Johnson's role is looking more like a Maurice Jones-Drew role than a third-down back, which makes him a rising RB3 pick.

My take regarding CJ:

disclaimer:(I AM invested in this kid, as I snagged him at #8 in my rookie dynasty draft last May).

White will still get his touches and he is a vital part of this offense for one simple reason: He moves the chains.

Last year he ranked 7th in the NFL overall in rushes for a 1st down. Here is the list:

LT - 75

Westbrook - 73

Addai - 65

Peterson - 62

Portis - 61

Lewis - 58

White - 57

McGahee - 56

T. Jones - 55

Fargas/Edge - 52

This is some pretty good company for someone expected to lose his job. Especially since 1st downs are vital for offensive success. White is a tough inside runner, and he consistently moves piles. He is also a better than average goal line back. I think the perfect comparison here is MJD/Fred Taylor in Jacksonville. We've learned both can exist and create fantasy production. I am hoping for an MJD type impact this year from Johnson and would be ecstatic with anything close to that. White did have too many fumbles last year, which he better improve or that might be a reason for him to lose carries.

*Edit:

funny that this was posted while I was typing my post:

Not that this is any real news in this thread but....

Per Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean writes that Chris Johnson could "perhaps" overtake White as the Titans starter if he plays well early in the regular season.

The note is somewhat buried in a feature on Johnson, but it's clear that the rookie's role is growing by the week. With a strong offensive line and plenty of carries to go around, we see both Titans backs as undervalued. Johnson's role is looking more like a Maurice Jones-Drew role than a third-down back, which makes him a rising RB3 pick.

I don't mean to throw a wet towel on the fire that is the Chris Johnson hype inferno, but am I the only one who thinks their is a decent chance that Chris Johnson could be this year's version of Jerious Norwood? Or even Reggie Bush lightStop and think for a second...the Norwood (and Bush to a lesser extent) hype:- lighning fast who is deadly in space *CHECK*- a rookie who just has mad skills enough to possibly (if you beleive the hype) replace a decent but less than spectacular veteran *CHECK*- a guy who was NOT drafted in the top 3 at his position (Bush, of course was) *CHECK*If you have L. White, CJ might make a decent handcuff, and may be a suitable RB3 given matchups and if he continues to progress. But I see his stats looking very similar to Jerious Norwood's from the recent past - which, if that's what your drafting for, is fine. ADP or Reggie Bush he is not.
Watch him play......plain as day he is no Norwood...sheesh...fantasy players rely too much on paper....watch the games watch the reps scout the guy from his college days and now you can see him in the pre-season. He is a tough inside runner who runs like a cheetah and has hands as good as top WR's in the league.Norwood could not run between a tackle if his life depended on it. He does not have the natural instincts that Johnson has nor anything close to his strength.Just pass him up....so he can fall to those of us who have scouted the guy inside and out (at least as much as a fan can).CJ3= PPR STUD for years to come.And yes I am obviously heavily invested in the kid....but for good reason. We have a back who will change the course of many football games this season. And he will be a superb RB 2 in PPR. 1700 total yards50 receptions8 TD's

I believe I mentioned this earlier, if not in this thread, then in another; I believe this is true, but also VY's running ability will help CJ3 find space as well. You couldn't find a better partner for each other, they were made in heaven. :confused:
I almost wish one of them was white so we could nickname them "ebony and ivory".
Lendale.....

tribecalledjeff said:
Todem said:
1700 total yards50 receptions8 TD's
:hifive:Is this assuming a LenDale injury?
:shrug: :thumbup: :thumbup: This would have made him rb3 last year. So now CJ is better than ADP, Addai, Portis, Gore, etc.I like the kid, but this is getting unbelievable.
LOL.I am just fueling this fire a little more. Adding more legs to the hype. :shrug: It is a little overboard...I agree....but if he is the primary back this season and I do believe he will be used everywhere and touch it 18-20 times every week he will have some very very impressive numbers this season. But that projection is his full blown potential in my mind....he is that special of a talent. I would put him with those backs just on talent alone. Will he hit those this year....yeah probably not on second thought.Now he has to prove my faith in him. And I think he is in a great situation. They have a very solid line, a rising star at QB ( (Vince Young is still a nice prospect entering his 3rd year and I think will show great improvement) and they drafted him to be there play maker out of the back field.

In a PPR re-draft league, Johnson should be the first rookie drafted.

And those numbers 1700 yards combined, that is very realistic. I'll be surprised if he doesn't break 1500 and 8 td's myself. 50 receptions might be a bit on the light side though. I'm thinking more around 60-65.

I think he's a dynamite sell-high candidate right now. His stock keeps rising to ridiculous levels. I think he could be exceptional, but you can probably couple him with another so/so back and get a more proven commodity. I was able to move Johnson/Graham/Rivers for Lynch.

I think he's a dynamite sell-high candidate right now. His stock keeps rising to ridiculous levels.
Pretty much agree. Johnson right now, Bradshaw after the Super Bowl, Bush once he declared for the draft, and Turner for 3 straight off-seasons. Sell during the hype and buy back after they are mortal players again.

I think he's a dynamite sell-high candidate right now. His stock keeps rising to ridiculous levels.
Pretty much agree. Johnson right now, Bradshaw after the Super Bowl, Bush once he declared for the draft, and Turner for 3 straight off-seasons. Sell during the hype and buy back after they are mortal players again.
Let's not confuse what you're reading in this thread with the reality of your typical draft day result. As of August 12th, Johnson had an ADP of RB39, 104th overall. Thats NOT AT ALL overhyped or a sell-high candidate.

Let's not confuse what you're reading in this thread with the reality of your typical draft day result. As of August 12th, Johnson had an ADP of RB39, 104th overall. Thats NOT AT ALL overhyped or a sell-high candidate.
Exactly. Great post Jason - it's a rare find if somebody will actually pay a steep price for this guy.

Good point.

Good point.
The reality of the situation is that Chris Johnson looks very likely to exceed his current ADP, but fall well short of those who see him as a potential RB1 sleeper. To be fair, despite the chortles and gags in this thread, a much smaller number of people see Johnson as a stud than view him as a fantasy afterthought. Right now, there's no way on Earth I wouldn't target Johnson in a PPR league. Getting him in the 10th round is a stone cold joke IMHO.

My take regarding CJ:

disclaimer:(I AM invested in this kid, as I snagged him at #8 in my rookie dynasty draft last May).

White will still get his touches and he is a vital part of this offense for one simple reason: He moves the chains.

Last year he ranked 7th in the NFL overall in rushes for a 1st down. Here is the list:

LT - 75

Westbrook - 73

Addai - 65

Peterson - 62

Portis - 61

Lewis - 58

White - 57

McGahee - 56

T. Jones - 55

Fargas/Edge - 52

This is some pretty good company for someone expected to lose his job. Especially since 1st downs are vital for offensive success. White is a tough inside runner, and he consistently moves piles. He is also a better than average goal line back. I think the perfect comparison here is MJD/Fred Taylor in Jacksonville. We've learned both can exist and create fantasy production. I am hoping for an MJD type impact this year from Johnson and would be ecstatic with anything close to that. White did have too many fumbles last year, which he better improve or that might be a reason for him to lose carries.

*Edit:

funny that this was posted while I was typing my post:

Not that this is any real news in this thread but....

Per Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean writes that Chris Johnson could "perhaps" overtake White as the Titans starter if he plays well early in the regular season.

The note is somewhat buried in a feature on Johnson, but it's clear that the rookie's role is growing by the week. With a strong offensive line and plenty of carries to go around, we see both Titans backs as undervalued. Johnson's role is looking more like a Maurice Jones-Drew role than a third-down back, which makes him a rising RB3 pick.
I don't believe the MJD comparison is correct and MJD is the power back and CJ will not be. The comps to Reggie Bush are much more in line, but they still have very different running styles.I would not expect great production from CJ, but I would expect some long runs for TD's and if you are in a league with bonus' for the length of TD's then CJ has more value. If this guy gets a seam he can take it to the house in a way that seems faster than any other back.

There is a happy middle ground folks...waiting for him to show you before you grab him is too conservative for me, but grabbing him earlier because you don't want to miss the next great thing will lead to short term disappointment in my view. If you pick around 6th he is clearly a guy worthy to grab in a rookie draft, but taking him much earlier is most likely a mistake. Obviously, your team make up is critical here. If you have other starters your "flyer" on CJ is more logical.

It should be fun too watch as it is rare to have such speed in a down hill runner (even if he is light)

I believe I mentioned this earlier, if not in this thread, then in another; I believe this is true, but also VY's running ability will help CJ3 find space as well. You couldn't find a better partner for each other, they were made in heaven. :goodposting:
Lendale.....
That is pretty funny, maybe they should call them that anyway and let people figure it out

How about his ADP since "THE RUN"

AS OF AUGUST 12TH

AS OF AUGUST 12TH
:goodposting:

AS OF AUGUST 12TH
:thumbup:
He asked about Johnson's ADP after "the run" which happened on August 9th. I was pointing out that the cited ADP data is from August 12th, i.e., after "the run."

My take regarding CJ:disclaimer:(I AM invested in this kid, as I snagged him at #8 in my rookie dynasty draft last May).White will still get his touches and he is a vital part of this offense for one simple reason: He moves the chains.Last year he ranked 7th in the NFL overall in rushes for a 1st down. Here is the list:LT - 75Westbrook - 73Addai - 65Peterson - 62Portis - 61Lewis - 58White - 57McGahee - 56T. Jones - 55Fargas/Edge - 52This is some pretty good company for someone expected to lose his job. Especially since 1st downs are vital for offensive success. White is a tough inside runner, and he consistently moves piles. He is also a better than average goal line back. I think the perfect comparison here is MJD/Fred Taylor in Jacksonville. We've learned both can exist and create fantasy production. I am hoping for an MJD type impact this year from Johnson and would be ecstatic with anything close to that. White did have too many fumbles last year, which he better improve or that might be a reason for him to lose carries.
No more counting stats, RATE stats please! Total carries for those players, percentage of carries that went for 1sts. LT 315 23.8%Westbrook 278 26.3%Addai 261 24.9%Peterson 238 26%Portis 325 18.8%Lewis 298 19.5%White 303 18.8%Mcgahee 294 19.0%Thomas Jones 310 17.7%Fargas 222 23.4%Edge 324 16.0%Lendale white was 6th in carries last year and 7th in first downs. Willie Parker is the only player with >290 carries that didn't make this list, M Lynch had 280 and also didn't make it. % wise he is in the bottom third of this list with a very clear difference between him and the top producers. Hes not a particularly good receiver and doesn't carry the ball for a high YPC, I see Lendale White as being a good goal line/short yardage back but VERY much replaceable for the bulk of his carries.

My take regarding CJ:

LT - 75

Westbrook - 73

Addai - 65

Peterson - 62

Portis - 61

Lewis - 58

White - 57

McGahee - 56

T. Jones - 55

Fargas/Edge - 52

No more counting stats, RATE stats please! Total carries for those players, percentage of carries that went for 1sts. LT 315 23.8%

Westbrook 278 26.3%

Addai 261 24.9%

Peterson 238 26%

Portis 325 18.8%

Lewis 298 19.5%

White 303 18.8%

Mcgahee 294 19.0%

Thomas Jones 310 17.7%

Fargas 222 23.4%

Edge 324 16.0%

Lendale white was 6th in carries last year and 7th in first downs. Willie Parker is the only player with >290 carries that didn't make this list, M Lynch had 280 and also didn't make it. % wise he is in the bottom third of this list with a very clear difference between him and the top producers. Hes not a particularly good receiver and doesn't carry the ball for a high YPC, I see Lendale White as being a good goal line/short yardage back but VERY much replaceable for the bulk of his carries.
Let's not forget that Lendale was playing hurt a good portion of last year. Also, let's not forget that even with some very nice play by Chris Brown and Chris Henry last year, White still got all those carries. The point? Fisher likes what White brings to the table. Could Johnson steal some carries? Certainly. But to say White is "VERY much replaceable" for the majority, when he wasn't last year - even when hurt, is a bit if a stretch. IMHO, Johnson is a great handcuff to White and a decent 2nd RB of a possible RBBC (outside of Jax, Pit, Oak, Cinci, Car, NO and Sea). Earlier RB39 as his ADP was listed - and that's about where he belongs given the current facts.

Users who are viewing this thread