Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Chris Johnson Hype machine

Chris Johnson facts:

- Chris Johnson is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.

- When Chris Johnson does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down.

- Chris Johnson is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

- Chris Johnson doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

- There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chris Johnson has allowed to live.

- Chris Johnson does not sleep. He waits.

- Chris Johnson does not get frostbite. Chris Johnson bites frost.

- Chris Johnson counted to infinity - twice.

- The Great Wall of China was originally created to keep Chris Johnson out. It failed miserably.

:lmao:
I just bought my ticket.....choo ****** ******* Choo

Chris Johnson is so fast that every time he runs the ball, he travels backwards in time. He's actually a cybernetic humanoid from the year 2321 sent to save mankind.

Edited by EBF

I just gave up Ray Rice, an 09 1st rounder and Chris Chambers for CJ. 99% of people would say that was dumb. But CJ can be a HOF-type player. He's got once-a-decade acceleration and speed, and it's not just track speed, it's football speed.

Wow, probably one of the most one-sided trades outside of collusion that I have heard of. I would say you could bump up your percentage to 100%. :goodposting:

I just gave up Ray Rice, an 09 1st rounder and Chris Chambers for CJ. 99% of people would say that was dumb. But CJ can be a HOF-type player. He's got once-a-decade acceleration and speed, and it's not just track speed, it's football speed.

Chris Johnson is so fast - when he's finished his career, Ray Rice will be beginning his :ph34r:

As high as I am on Chris Johnson, White will get quite a few touches early on. The Titans will start the season with a White/Johnson combo, no doubt. It's simply going to happen no matter how well Johnson plays in preseason. That said, I expect the progression to Chris Johnson, the feature back, will take a month or so. If you could get an honest answer out of the Titan coaches right now, I'm confident they expect CJ to be their feature back a few weeks into the season, as well.

For those of you high on CJ but don't own him, I'd play up the RBBC thing after the first couple weeks & make your last stand before his value skyrockets out of site.

I love CJ, but Fatty will always have role in this O.

Fatty will probably be the Goalline back and 4th quarter pounder. CJ will get some series' in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

IMHO, of course

If anyone thinks CJ is going to take GL work form Lendale, they need to look at this.

As high as I am on Chris Johnson, White will get quite a few touches early on. The Titans will start the season with a White/Johnson combo, no doubt. It's simply going to happen no matter how well Johnson plays in preseason. That said, I expect the progression to Chris Johnson, the feature back, will take a month or so. If you could get an honest answer out of the Titan coaches right now, I'm confident they expect CJ to be their feature back a few weeks into the season, as well.

For those of you high on CJ but don't own him, I'd play up the RBBC thing after the first couple weeks & make your last stand before his value skyrockets out of site.

Fatty will probably be the Goalline back and 4th quarter pounder. CJ will get some series' in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

IMHO, of course

If anyone thinks CJ is going to take GL work form Lendale, they need to look at this.
I'm not disagreeing that fatty is a decent goal-line back, but you can't really draw anything based on a sample of 7 carries.

IMHO, of course

more interesting that sjax is 17 on that list?

This thread now officially sucks.

Agreed. I hope it dies a painless death.
yeah, can we get back to real discussion? A similar thread last year on AP, but it's not that clever to cut and past chuck norris jokes. That #### should stay in the FFA. this is BUZINESS, specially this time of year.

I think Chris Johnson will have a great year even though he's backing up Lendale. He is the not the fastest rookie though, Brian Witherspoon on the Jags had a 4.19 40 time. Chris Johnson has a lot of upside and I will be surprised if he doesn't get drafted in the 10th round or earlier.

Not timed electronically at the combine.

A lot of people have unofficial times that look good but aren't considered legit.

I think Chris Johnson will have a great year even though he's backing up Lendale. He is the not the fastest rookie though, Brian Witherspoon on the Jags had a 4.19 40 time. Chris Johnson has a lot of upside and I will be surprised if he doesn't get drafted in the 10th round or earlier.

Witherspoon is an amazing athlete. He is not faster than Chris Johnson. Witherspoon ran 4.33 at Alabama's Pro Day. That's what McFadden ran in cross trainers. Witherspoon might make the team. Chris Johnson is going to be a major contributor. I'm a big fan of Chris Johnson. Sorry some of you don't like the jokes. This is his Hype Machine according to the thread title and you have to admit some of these "believers" are over the top. Sometimes the prudent thing to do is curb that enthusiasm a little and that's the purpose of the jokes. :shrug: I'm a big fan of this kid's potential. I ranked him 4th in this class behind DMac, Stewart, and Mendenhall. There's reason to believe I am too high on him. There's reason to believe he might be a very special talent. There's very little reason to be sure of anything. I said months ago that he is the player I am most interested in seeing play. He was often described as a poor man's Reggie Bush during draft season. I often say that Reggie Bush may be a poor man's Chris Johnson.

I'm a big fan of this kid's potential. I ranked him 4th in this class behind DMac, Stewart, and Mendenhall. There's reason to believe I am too high on him. There's reason to believe he might be a very special talent. There's very little reason to be sure of anything. I said months ago that he is the player I am most interested in seeing play. He was often described as a poor man's Reggie Bush during draft season. I often say that Reggie Bush may be a poor man's Chris Johnson.

Until I see him make a play where there isn't a huge hole to run through, I will remain skeptical. I believe he can contribute, but as you refer to Reggie Bush, I don't see him even being as effective as Bush is running the ball. Yes, yes, yes, I know he had the 66 yard TD. But honestly, I've watched that play in slow motion over and over again, and I just don't see the hype. Even the so called "stutter step" people are talking about is non-existent.As a receiver out of the backfield, he'll be very successful. But he's going to be limited in how much he can do as a runner.Here were his carries1. Right side, 3 yards (1st string)2. Right side, 3 yards (2nd string)3. Up the middle, -1 loss (2nd string)4. Up the middle draw, 6 yards (2nd string)5. Right side, no gain (2nd string)6. Up the middle, 66 yards (2nd string)He doesn't really make people miss, he just tries to outrun them. With his speed he will once in a while, but not that often. Most of his work, including the big run, came against 2nd stringers. I see Michael Bennett as a running back, a poor man's Reggie Bush as a receiver, only because I need to see him actually catch a pass in the NFL still. Out in space I think he can make an impact. As a traditional running back, I think he will struggle.

Witherspoon is an amazing athlete. He is not faster than Chris Johnson. Witherspoon ran 4.33 at Alabama's Pro Day. That's what McFadden ran in cross trainers. Witherspoon might make the team. Chris Johnson is going to be a major contributor.

I'm a big fan of Chris Johnson. Sorry some of you don't like the jokes. This is his Hype Machine according to the thread title and you have to admit some of these "believers" are over the top. Sometimes the prudent thing to do is curb that enthusiasm a little and that's the purpose of the jokes. :lmao:

I'm a big fan of this kid's potential. I ranked him 4th in this class behind DMac, Stewart, and Mendenhall. There's reason to believe I am too high on him. There's reason to believe he might be a very special talent. There's very little reason to be sure of anything. I said months ago that he is the player I am most interested in seeing play. He was often described as a poor man's Reggie Bush during draft season. I often say that Reggie Bush may be a poor man's Chris Johnson.

I actually liked some of the jokes, but it has deteriorated to the point of stupidity and there is almost no meaningful dialogue going on with regards to the hype surounding Johnson. That is why I stated I'd like to see the thread die. It's 15 pages long and maybe 2-3 pages have good information on them. The BMI tangent took up, what, 7 pages alone. I am not saying BMI is not a useful tool in evaluating talent, but it got ridiculous in here. Thankfully it got it's own thread and that debate has moved on.

Every time I see this thread bumped I open it up with great anticipation that some useful information has been provided only to find another lame joke. I am a fool to think the intelligence factor would go up. Shame on me.

Until I see him make a play where there isn't a huge hole to run through, I will remain skeptical. I believe he can contribute, but as you refer to Reggie Bush, I don't see him even being as effective as Bush is running the ball. Yes, yes, yes, I know he had the 66 yard TD. But honestly, I've watched that play in slow motion over and over again, and I just don't see the hype. Even the so called "stutter step" people are talking about is non-existent.As a receiver out of the backfield, he'll be very successful. But he's going to be limited in how much he can do as a runner.Here were his carries1. Right side, 3 yards (1st string)2. Right side, 3 yards (2nd string)3. Up the middle, -1 loss (2nd string)4. Up the middle draw, 6 yards (2nd string)5. Right side, no gain (2nd string)6. Up the middle, 66 yards (2nd string)He doesn't really make people miss, he just tries to outrun them. With his speed he will once in a while, but not that often. Most of his work, including the big run, came against 2nd stringers. I see Michael Bennett as a running back, a poor man's Reggie Bush as a receiver, only because I need to see him actually catch a pass in the NFL still. Out in space I think he can make an impact. As a traditional running back, I think he will struggle.
Sounds like someone is really angry about passing on Johnson for Jones. :confused:

Sounds like someone is really angry about passing on Johnson for Jones. :confused:
Nope - not at all. My opinion of Chris Johnson has nothing to do with my opinion of Felix Jones. Just as much as I can think LT, Addai, Westbrook, Gore, et al are all good RBs. I can think Johnson and Jones are both good RBs, both bad RBs, or like one better than the other - independent of each other. I do prefer Jones, that is true. But that has nothing to do with my criticisms of Johnson. If you read some other threads I've also been critical of Jones on some of his plays versus San Diego.I'm not sure why you have to keep bringing Jones into this, as they're completely unrelated players, outside of being from the same draft class, and being slotted for complementary roles this season. :thumbup:

Witherspoon is an amazing athlete. He is not faster than Chris Johnson. Witherspoon ran 4.33 at Alabama's Pro Day. That's what McFadden ran in cross trainers. Witherspoon might make the team. Chris Johnson is going to be a major contributor.

I'm a big fan of Chris Johnson. Sorry some of you don't like the jokes. This is his Hype Machine according to the thread title and you have to admit some of these "believers" are over the top. Sometimes the prudent thing to do is curb that enthusiasm a little and that's the purpose of the jokes. :thumbup:

I actually liked some of the jokes, but it has deteriorated to the point of stupidity and there is almost no meaningful dialogue going on with regards to the hype surounding Johnson. That is why I stated I'd like to see the thread die. It's 15 pages long and maybe 2-3 pages have good information on them. The BMI tangent took up, what, 7 pages alone. I am not saying BMI is not a useful tool in evaluating talent, but it got ridiculous in here. Thankfully it got it's own thread and that debate has moved on.

Every time I see this thread bumped I open it up with great anticipation that some useful information has been provided only to find another lame joke. I am a fool to think the intelligence factor would go up. Shame on me.

Yeah, you should probably get some fresh air. I tried to offer a little appeaser and some thoughts on Johnson and you just rant about the jokes.

Here's why I like thinking CJ could be a better Reggie Bush than Reggie Bush. While Reggie is fast CJ is faster, actually a LOT faster. Which is pretty amazing. While Reggie is a great receiver for an RB with terrific hands and feet for adjusting to the ball, CJ actually played WR for a year and is very well schooled in the position, probably runs better routes and has equal hands. Reggie has great lateral moves, and some of thought that would be a big part of his game. Some are criticizing CJ for not having great agility in his game. As EBF has been navel gazing over BMI, I have been doing the same, more quietly, over jukes and great moves. See, it seems to me my error in evaluating Bush may have been thinking too highly of this quality when in the NFL you just got to mostly forget all that and get on down the field. CJ is more decisive than Reggie. He hits the hole with less hesitation. Reggie sees a lane close and starts dancing. CJ sees that and explodes for the nearest seam anyway. This quality, this lack of dancing, his decisiveness, may in fact make him a better player.

Sounds like someone is really angry about passing on Johnson for Jones. :thumbup:
Nope - not at all. My opinion of Chris Johnson has nothing to do with my opinion of Felix Jones. Just as much as I can think LT, Addai, Westbrook, Gore, et al are all good RBs. I can think Johnson and Jones are both good RBs, both bad RBs, or like one better than the other - independent of each other. I do prefer Jones, that is true. But that has nothing to do with my criticisms of Johnson. If you read some other threads I've also been critical of Jones on some of his plays versus San Diego.I'm not sure why you have to keep bringing Jones into this, as they're completely unrelated players, outside of being from the same draft class, and being slotted for complementary roles this season. :unsure:
I just really dont understand why you keep saying his 66 yad run was not impressive. You dont have to make crazy jukes or run someone over for a run to be impressive. The only reason i can think of to do so is bias. Maybe because you passed on him for someone else, and its easier to downplay his production rather than admit you may have made a mistake. If i am wrong, i appologize, thats just what it looks like to me.

I'm a big fan of Chris Johnson. Sorry some of you don't like the jokes. This is his Hype Machine according to the thread title and you have to admit some of these "believers" are over the top. Sometimes the prudent thing to do is curb that enthusiasm a little and that's the purpose of the jokes. :football:

Yeah, you should probably get some fresh air. I tried to offer a little appeaser and some thoughts on Johnson and you just rant about the jokes.

Here's why I like thinking CJ could be a better Reggie Bush than Reggie Bush. While Reggie is fast CJ is faster, actually a LOT faster. Which is pretty amazing. While Reggie is a great receiver for an RB with terrific hands and feet for adjusting to the ball, CJ actually played WR for a year and is very well schooled in the position, probably runs better routes and has equal hands. Reggie has great lateral moves, and some of thought that would be a big part of his game. Some are criticizing CJ for not having great agility in his game. As EBF has been navel gazing over BMI, I have been doing the same, more quietly, over jukes and great moves. See, it seems to me my error in evaluating Bush may have been thinking too highly of this quality when in the NFL you just got to mostly forget all that and get on down the field. CJ is more decisive than Reggie. He hits the hole with less hesitation. Reggie sees a lane close and starts dancing. CJ sees that and explodes for the nearest seam anyway. This quality, this lack of dancing, his decisiveness, may in fact make him a better player.

This is exactly the difference i see, i also see the same thing with Mcfadden. This is why i find it easy to dismiss the "BMI" factor with these two players.

I just really dont understand why you keep saying his 66 yad run was not impressive. You dont have to make crazy jukes or run someone over for a run to be impressive. The only reason i can think of to do so is bias. Maybe because you passed on him for someone else, and its easier to downplay his production rather than admit you may have made a mistake. If i am wrong, i appologize, thats just what it looks like to me.

It's not that I don't think the run was impressive at all... I just don't think it was as impressive as some in this thread are making it out to be. Basically, it told me he has speed. But we already knew that, he ran a freakin' 4.24 - that's F-A-S-T.

But we've seen guys with great speed who just didn't pan out, because they lacked other skills. I didn't see those other skills in the Rams game. I'm not saying he doesn't have them, just that he hasn't shown them in a game yet.

To go back to Felix Jones, who you alluded to - he put great moves on people in camp, but there was the question, will those moves work in live game action?

I think there are still a lot of questions about Chris Johnson as a runner remaining. Was I impressed with his speed? Yeah. Did I think that run validated that he is an every down back? Not in the least. Would I have been more impressed if he'd had to actually make a runningback move instead of just run straight? Yeah... but we're still waiting to see that.

Of his other runs, when there weren't huge holes, he didn't display much running back skill. :football:

Can he run from a one back set successfully on a regular basis? That remains to be seen.

:football::football: Well said. What I see is James Brooks' game with Deion Sanders' burners.

Until I see him make a play where there isn't a huge hole to run through, I will remain skeptical. I believe he can contribute, but as you refer to Reggie Bush, I don't see him even being as effective as Bush is running the ball.

Yes, yes, yes, I know he had the 66 yard TD. But honestly, I've watched that play in slow motion over and over again, and I just don't see the hype. Even the so called "stutter step" people are talking about is non-existent.

As a receiver out of the backfield, he'll be very successful. But he's going to be limited in how much he can do as a runner.

Here were his carries

1. Right side, 3 yards (1st string)

2. Right side, 3 yards (2nd string)

3. Up the middle, -1 loss (2nd string)

4. Up the middle draw, 6 yards (2nd string)

5. Right side, no gain (2nd string)

6. Up the middle, 66 yards (2nd string)

He doesn't really make people miss, he just tries to outrun them. With his speed he will once in a while, but not that often. Most of his work, including the big run, came against 2nd stringers. I see Michael Bennett as a running back, a poor man's Reggie Bush as a receiver, only because I need to see him actually catch a pass in the NFL still. Out in space I think he can make an impact. As a traditional running back, I think he will struggle.

Dude, what part of preseason don't you understand? Please, stop trying to pin what type of back he's going to be by 6 runs in his first preseason game. And string? You're saying he went vs. 2nd string? I'm sure he had players on his team too, blocking, etc who weren't first team. Or maybe they're trying new things, guys are rusty etc.

Other players who didn't do well don't try in preseason though? :

Joe Addai, 4/0 WITH his long run.

F.Jones had 5/13 if you take out his long run.

Larry Johnson 7/11 without his long run.

Reggie Bush 6/11 without his long run.

K.Smith, 7/15 without his long run.

R.Rice, 5/7 without long run.

Maroney, 5/0 wihtout long run.

Selvin Young, 3/-4 without his long run.

M.Lynch, 2/4 without his long run.

J.Lewis, 2/0 without his long run.

Thomas Jones, 3/6 without his long run.

Frank Gore, 1/0 without his long run.

See how ridiculous this game of yours is?

For further information, please watch this for more ridiculousness, and proof he doesn't just try to "outrun" others:

2008 Chris Johnson & Lendale White = 2004 Warrick Dunn & TJ Duckett

Or the 2005 Reggie Bush & Lendale White ?
2008 Titans look alot like the 2004 Falcons. Both were/are borderline playoff teams with a solid defense and average to just above average Olines. No WR's that should see even 800 yards receiving.Vince Young is Michael Vick, minus the prison sentence.Who was the Falcons TE in 2004? Who is the Titans TE?Duckett = WhiteThat leaves Johnson/Dunn, it all just adds up.
Except Duckett is not White. Duckett as never run for more than 779 yards, never had more than 200 carries always had the reputation to run soft - particularly when factoring in his size. Point is here that White will have quite a numberof touches.Also Young is not Vick, no one would call 6'5" 233 lbs Young a running back that throws - although maybe he could be called a FB that throws ;)
I expect Whites Numbers to look similar to Ducketts from here on out now the Titans have a better option at RB.

The guy is 5'11", but he runs with the center of gravity of a 5'9" player.

Either that, or he defies gravity. Think about it.Sorry, roddy.
No problem. How could you resist with all the temptation around here?They way I see it, Flash runs on a cushion of air anyway, sort of like a puck on an air hockey table. (At least that is what it looked like to me on that clip!)