What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LT might not be the lock for 1.01 we thought... (1 Viewer)

facook

Footballguy
Running back Jacob Hester went from a team that won the national championship to a team that believes it can win the Super Bowl. Hester, drafted by the Chargers in the third round out of LSU, has a knack for putting himself in the best possible positions. The Chargers will use him to back up Tomlinson, block for Tomlinson, and spell Tomlinson in goal-line situations. The last person to have that job, Michael Turner, left in the offseason to become the starter in Atlanta. Hester is not as fast as Turner, but he is a ferocious runner with a sense for the goal line. In his first preseason game against Dallas, he scored two touchdowns. "When I got to San Diego, my wife and I were driving around, and I was thinking: 'I'm in the NFL, I'm living here and I'm backing up the best running back ever in my mind," Hester said. "What a great spot to be."
Chargers PostcardI can't imagine LT actually giving way at the goal line. Also, the author compares Hester's role to Turner's, who didn't exactly vulture TDs. Nevertheless, it's an interesting blurb.

It's week 12 and you're hosting the Colts on Sunday Night Football. You've made it to the 2 yard line. You can either have LT or a rookie 3rd rounder in your backfield. You make the call.

Running back Jacob Hester went from a team that won the national championship to a team that believes it can win the Super Bowl. Hester, drafted by the Chargers in the third round out of LSU, has a knack for putting himself in the best possible positions. The Chargers will use him to back up Tomlinson, block for Tomlinson, and spell Tomlinson in goal-line situations. The last person to have that job, Michael Turner, left in the offseason to become the starter in Atlanta. Hester is not as fast as Turner, but he is a ferocious runner with a sense for the goal line. In his first preseason game against Dallas, he scored two touchdowns. "When I got to San Diego, my wife and I were driving around, and I was thinking: 'I'm in the NFL, I'm living here and I'm backing up the best running back ever in my mind," Hester said. "What a great spot to be."
Chargers PostcardI can't imagine LT actually giving way at the goal line. Also, the author compares Hester's role to Turner's, who didn't exactly vulture TDs. Nevertheless, it's an interesting blurb.
Good to see young guy married and appreciative of the situation he's in. As far as spelling LT, all this tells me is he'd likely get the goal-line work if LT goes down, and they might have a two-back package at the GL. But the guy with the single-season TD record is probably a safe bet to keep his red zone job.

Good to see young guy married and appreciative of the situation he's in. As far as spelling LT, all this tells me is he'd likely get the goal-line work if LT goes down, and they might have a two-back package at the GL. But the guy with the single-season TD record is probably a safe bet to keep his red zone job.
Just because he got the goal line carries in a preseason game does not mean he will do so in the regular season. This is conjecture on the part of the writer based on what the guy did against Dallas.

LT owners -- who do you handcuff LT with now, Sproles or Hester?
Good question. I would like some thoughts on this, as I have the #1 pick in an upcoming draft.
The hot guy right now is Hester because he has torn it up in TC and did well against Dallas, but I hear that Sproles is doing really well himself. Sproles is a smaller, faster back that I think the FO worried couldn't handle extended time in relief should LT get injured. They bring in Hester to help spell Sproles but Hester tears it up too. So who knows with this. This makes it a mess should you draft LT. I too have the #1 pick coming up for a startup dynasty draft. Do I go with Mr. Reliable in LT and not waste two roster spots on Hester and Sproles or put all three on my roster or go with ADP 1.1 and grab Chester Taylor later and only have 2 roster spots taken up?

Did anyone watch him in college? Like the writer alluded to , he was very effective at picking up short yardage. Has anyone looked up Tomlinson's stats inside the 5 last year? He wasn't very effective. 19 touches and 5 TD's. There weren'y many RB's or teams worse than that last year.

I can see him losing some.

I smell somebody with the #2 draft pick...
:confused: :lmao: :lmao:
Actually I'm at #11 and #10. I just read it this morning and it caught my eye. As I said, I don't buy it either, but think it's interesting the writer thought it important enough to mention.
There's the key right there - another case of writer speculation. I can't imagine Norv Turner spelling the best RB and among the goal line runners of our generation unless it's a blowout.

Oh, Turner had that role before him? I forget, how many TD's did Turner vulture in 3 years?

I don't remember one. Non story.

I smell somebody with the #2 draft pick...
:excited: :yes: :goodposting: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
So, I take it you no longer have LT ranked 12th?
1. ADP

2. Sjax

3. LJ

4. Julius Jones

5. MB3

6. Portis

7. Westbrook

8. Addai

9. Lynch

10. Parker

11. Jacobs

12. LT

13. R.Grant

14. McFadden

15. Graham

16. Gore

17. Fred Taylor

18. Pierre Thomas

19. Maroney

20. Jamal

21. M. Turner

22. McGahee

23. Edge

24. Ricky Williams

25. Sproles

this is finally the year LT wears down. :confused:

LJ bounces back in a BIG way in Chan Gailey's offense.

Bush isn't even mentioned, Pierre Thomas takes over the #1 RB role in N.O.

Frank Gore's not hurt, it was a joke apparently. I'd still rank him no higher than 16th though.

McFadden should start from day one.

MJD is not ready for prime time, its still Fred Taylor's job.

Julius Jones should be an absolute MONSTER in Seattle, with THAT o-line, and that offensive prowess..he should easily compile some 1400 yards rushing and double digit TDs..

Ricky Williams is a long shot, but I had to include him , in no way will Ronnie Brown be ready for opening day, and he'll likely miss at least 1/2 of the 2008 season. Williams will probably be in the best shape of his life, and will likely get a healthy dose of carries in the Dan Henning offense Miami will utilize ( if they keep him,that is :excited: )

Sproles breaks into the top 25 because he's the de facto `backup with the most upside in the NFL` if the starter (LT) goes down.

Good question. I would like some thoughts on this, as I have the #1 pick in an upcoming draft.
The answer is both. They'll both get touches in the normal flow of the offense, Hester will inherit Turner's role of late game mop up man, and if LaDainian went down they'll split touches pretty evenly. In that case in PPR/Performance leagues you'd favor Sproles, in TD heavy leagues you'd favor Hester. But if you want to be safe you get both.I could see Hester or the FB (Pinnock or Tolbert) getting a goalline shot or two during the season to try and cross the defense up, but nothing more than that - if LaDainian's healthy he's going to get his usual share of goal line carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked Marcus Thomas coming out of UTEP and thought he would be Turner part 2 in a couple of years.
He looked really good Saturday. He gets to the line quickly and decisively, has good burst through the hole, showed above average agility and footwork, was tough to bring down (I can't recall a play where a single defender was able to bring him down solo), and showed a knack for falling forward for positive yards even in heavy congestion. Dynasty owners should keep an eye on him as a long term prospect. I think he'll go to the practice squad (unless he totally blows up in the next 3 preseason games) this year and stay there barring injury. If LaDainian did go down, LaDainian owners would want to seriously consider picking this guy up immediately.

I have LT in a dynasty league & while I'm not fan of handcuffing (in general), I'm going to roster Hester. I honestly believe he would excel if LT went down. I'm sure Sproles would get a fair share of touches, but Hester is the guy you want, IMO. He would definitely get the majority of carries as well as being their GL back with Sproles playing backup/receiving back.

I have LT in a dynasty league & while I'm not fan of handcuffing (in general), I'm going to roster Hester. I honestly believe he would excel if LT went down. I'm sure Sproles would get a fair share of touches, but Hester is the guy you want, IMO. He would definitely get the majority of carries as well as being their GL back with Sproles playing backup/receiving back.
:)In terms of raw touches it'd be pretty even between Sproles and Hester.

I watched the SD/Dal in great detail. Hester by a wide margin over Sproles.
Could you elaborate please? Sproles has looked excellent in real games and I have trouble seeing them kick him to the curb.
Aside from a goal line carry and a screen pass, he was owned by the Dallas line. He is too small to be an every down back or even that of a guy who could carry a bigger load despite his excellent speed. Hester looked the part to me. Just my 0.02 though.

:)

The year that LT had 30+ touchdowns people were saying that it would likely be a RBBC with Turner, look how that turned out. He ended up having the best fantasy season ever.

Edgerrin James in the 5th.
:confused: Get yerself a rock solid #3 and you won't have to worry. Is either SD back going to reproduce LT's #s? Really?
this here is the key. Everyone gets extremely excited about cuffing their main backs. When looking to cuff, I don't think the value of the primary back is what should make you want to cuff. It's the value of the guy that would be replacing the stud that should be considered. You're better off stealing one of the viable cuffs/rbbc guys in the league instead of worrying about sproles vs. hester. Grab a fargas, or a ray rice, or one of the rooks from tenn or carolina etcetcetc. Better chance of getting production out of them than the backup in SD...

footballnerd said:
At this point, do we know who the primary backup for LT is?
Sproles had the best game of the two in preseason week 3 with 102 yds on 13 carries and a score. And Hester was the only one to play in wk 4. Not sure how to read all that.
I think that when LT is healthy, Sproles will be the main backup giving LT a breather every now and then. However, Hester looks very talented and as the season wears on, he might carry a larger load. I honestly believe that if LT went down it would be a 50/50 endeavor between Hester and Sproles(meaning you wouldn't be starting them anyway).As for Sproles not playing in week 4.... He's their starting kick returner and a very important piece to their special teams. Not worth chancing injury, plus Hester is a rookie and needed the experience.

Is either SD back going to reproduce LT's #s? Really?
Well, to be fair, pretty much every SD back that has stepped in there lately has done pretty well in that system. Granted, it was in limited carries but c'mon, Jesse Chatman averaged 6ypc in that role in 2004 and we've seen how good Turner has been in it in '05-07, where he averaged 5.5ypc.This isn't like the StL situation where things got so ugly that a below average RB plugged into the system netted horrible numbers. Tomlinson is so magical because he's the best RB in the nfl AND he's in a great running system. And if the last 4 years are any indication, a decent back plugged into that system should still net pretty solid FF numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If both remain healthy, I don't forsee see a significant statistical difference between LT and AP. Sproles is the real deal as a scat back, about as quick as they come, and very effective at what he does, he'll get 10-15 carries if LT goes down, Hester would probably pick up the remaining 10-15, along with the GL touches. I'm taking AP over LT in the #1 spot because of Chester Taylor. The insurance policy is simply better...

Users who are viewing this thread