What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College RBs (1 Viewer)

B Maverick

Footballguy
I am in a keeper league that has come up with a "developmental draft". Every year around week 8 we have a 2 round draft where we get to keep the rights to a college player until they play in the NFL. Randy Moss, P Manning, Portis, LT all were taken in this draft. We love it since it adds a draft mid season and makes the NFL Draft that much more fun (or painful) as you get to see where your guy lands. They also do not count against your protected list in that year.

So as the college season gets started, who are the RBs to watch?

They dont have to be seniors, you can take a chance on Freshman too. Adrian Peterson was taken as a frosh and the owner finally reaped some rewards. On the other side, Clarett was taken as a frosh and well.....

I am curious as to who the big time College backs to watch are this year?

Unfortunately, Moreno, Wells, Demarco Murray, McKnight, Spiller, Lucky, Hill are already rostered.

Who else would be worth watching? I have seen talk on McCoy, Keiland Williams, Foster, Davis, Ringer

Lets talk College RBs that could be NFL Stars... Thoughts?

Keep an eye on a freshman named Ryan Williams for Virginia Tech. He should be a special one. Darren Evans is also a guy no one seems to be talking about for VT.

based only on videos at Rivals, i'm a big fan of Darrell Scott of Colorado. He needs to add a little size for the pros, but the kid looks pretty darn good.

The three obvious guys who will push for first round status are LeSean McCoy, Knowshon Moreno, and Chris Wells.

After that there's a big group of borderline backs who could boost their stock with a big season. That group includes some of the guys you named: Spiller, Keiland, and Murray. Williams has the most prototypical NFL skill set, but needs to step up this year. Stafon Johnson of USC is another back with top 60 NFL draft potential. I look for him to lead the Trojans in rushing this season and become a well known player nationally.

I've just finished scouting the incoming freshmen for my college dynasty league. I didn't get a chance to watch everyone, but of the players I did evaluate I'm high on these guys:

Darrell Scott, Colorado - Prototypical three down back. Future first day draft pick. Probable instant impact player in the NCAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freshman's to stash

Darrell Scott COL

De'Anthony Curtis ARK

Mark Ingram ALA My sleeper Freshman for this year

Enrique Davis MISS

Jamie Harper CLEM

Jermie Calhoun OKLA

Jacquizz Rodgers ORST

McCoy from Pitt is going to be a stud!
Quite possible. He's the most explosive and dynamic of the top three draft-eligible backs. He's not as powerful as Moreno or Wells though. I hear he's already planning on leaving school. He's likely to be a top 3-5 pick in every rookie draft next year.

I'm keeping an eye on USC RB, Marc Tyler coming off a broken leg. I believe Rival had him ranked #2 in the nation (behind Joe McKnight)

I'm keeping an eye on USC RB, Marc Tyler coming off a broken leg. I believe Rival had him ranked #2 in the nation (behind Joe McKnight)
He was a big time recruit coming out of high school, but the USC backfield is extremely crowded right now. There are about 5 or 6 elite national recruits competing for touches. Right now I don't think Tyler is any better than 5th or 6th on the depth chart behind McKnight, Johnson, Bradford, Gable, and possibly Green.

He was a big time recruit coming out of high school, but the USC backfield is extremely crowded right now. There are about 5 or 6 elite national recruits competing for touches. Right now I don't think Tyler is any better than 5th or 6th on the depth chart behind McKnight, Johnson, Bradford, Gable, and possibly Green.
Since he sat out all last year rehabbing I would think his talent would put him in the mix. Just something to keep an eye on anyway.

Easiest answer for me - Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech

Parade All American coming out of high school in Georgia, averaged over 5 yards/carry last year. Will be running in an offense that will undoubtedly lead the ACC in rushing.

I've tried to warn you guys about Wells over and over. HE IS NOT COMEING OUT 2009 unless he wins HEISMAN. He should have won it last year so his chances are good!

Closes thing to JIMMY BROWN your ever see!

And this isn;t a rumor. IT'S A FACT!

EBF said:
Brutis said:
Frankly, that entire set of names is a list you should follow, but off of that list, I'd most follow McKnight, Johnson and Tyler.

I can't wait to see king in that backfield with moreno

Another guy to keep an eye on is javarius james from the U

I hate to disappoint you guys but moreno will not be coming out early

I've tried to warn you guys about Wells over and over. HE IS NOT COMEING OUT 2009 unless he wins HEISMAN. He should have won it last year so his chances are good!Closes thing to JIMMY BROWN your ever see! And this isn;t a rumor. IT'S A FACT!
Very few guys turn down first round money when they get the opportunity. I just don't see how he can justify staying in college if he has a decent year.

I've tried to warn you guys about Wells over and over. HE IS NOT COMEING OUT 2009 unless he wins HEISMAN. He should have won it last year so his chances are good!Closes thing to JIMMY BROWN your ever see! And this isn;t a rumor. IT'S A FACT!
If he's projected as a top 15 or so pick he's leaving despite what he says now. I'd say there is a 5% shot he returns if he's projected to go high in the first round of the NFL draft.RB is way too violent of a position to risk returning.

James Davis Clemson imo might be the guy who translates the best to the pros of any current senior.

CJ Spiller Clemson is just a Junior, but he might come out when Davis does since they're buddies. Spiller's more of a change of pace type guy. But still very impressive.

If you want a long-term bet, keep an eye on Roy Helu at Nebraska. About 6' 220lbs, and he's pushing Marlon Lucky (Senior) for playing time.

Keiland Williams has been passed by Richard Murphy and Charles Scott on LSU's depth chart. Supposedly he has had fumbling problems.

Murphy is currently the "starter", not that it matters because they'll be splitting carries again.

Here are some shorter Milton Knox highlights in case you can't sit through that 12 minute epic:

Beast in the making.

I can't wait to see king in that backfield with morenoAnother guy to keep an eye on is javarius james from the U
I saw him last year, he wasn't much.
James didn't do much last year but in 2006 he rushed for 802 yards, that's the second best all time rushing performance by a freshman rb from the U. Clinton portis holds the record with 836 yards. And although james played in every game that year, he only started the last 10. Considering all the great rbs that came from there james is someone I'm keeping an eye on.

I can't wait to see king in that backfield with morenoAnother guy to keep an eye on is javarius james from the U
I saw him last year, he wasn't much.
James didn't do much last year but in 2006 he rushed for 802 yards, that's the second best all time rushing performance by a freshman rb from the U. Clinton portis holds the record with 836 yards. And although james played in every game that year, he only started the last 10. Considering all the great rbs that came from there james is someone I'm keeping an eye on.
James largest problem is that Cooper is better than him. :thumbdown:

Noel Devine will lead the nation in rushing yards.

has some big fans around here, and I'm paying close attention.Stafon Johnson has the best BMI of all those USC studs, so I'll take him. :confused:

James Aldridge, Notre Dame. He's better than he looked last year.

Ryan Matthews, Fresno State. Looks like a star.

Mike Goodson and Caleb King, for Construx.

Aaron Brown, TCU. I sometimes think I'm the only one who notices though.

He's not a dynamic player, but he's solid in every category. I'm looking forward to watching his 2008 season unfold.

Here are some shorter Milton Knox highlights in case you can't sit through that 12 minute epic:

I don't know how closely you're following my Bruins, but the superstar RB recruit was Aundre Dean. Knox is currently ahead of him on the depth chart. :confused: Bell is supposed to be healthy and take the job though, and a couple redshirt freshman are ahead of Knox at the moment.

Yea, I just read up on that situation a little bit. I know Raymond Carter was considered a top recruit when he signed with them last season, but I remember being underwhelmed when I checked out his highlights in preparation for last year's KCFA draft. I don't see him keeping Knox off the field long term. We'll see.

Voting with my feet, I like LeSean McCoy and Darrell Scott. McCoy who you're probably aware of but he's awesome. Tony Dorsett said that McCoy reminds him of himself. Scott is less well known as he will be a freshman this year for Colorado. He was one of the top HS recruits in the nation. Big and fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Javid Best from Cal. Great speed.
Jahvid. Yes, a serious pro prospect--ran a 10.36 in the 100m as a track star in high school, and showed great vision, balance, and moves on open-field runs as a freshman, as well as decent strength at the line. Despite being a bit undersized, he does not shy from contact; in fact he was a gunner on the punt coverage team.http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2008/...-2007-highlight

Man, looking at that highlight video makes me excited for the season! He'll be our starting tailback as a sophomore.

You know you're my man! I like Goodson more than most.

I still think that although he's tiny and has some maturity issues, Noel Devine has the sickest lateral moves since Sanders. He can make it in the NFL if he can keep his head on straight and build up some leg strength.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the next great Penn State RB, Stephfon Green. He's a little slight now, but looks to have the frame to get bigger. He looked much thicker in the lower body this off season after training for the Lift for Life competition that PSU does every year.

Keiland Williams has been passed by Richard Murphy and Charles Scott on LSU's depth chart. Supposedly he has had fumbling problems.

Murphy is currently the "starter", not that it matters because they'll be splitting carries again.
This is a guy noone is talking about. Charles Scott is the best RB at LSU and will be better as a pro than as a collegian. Draft him now and watch him take off this year. JMO.

This is a guy noone is talking about. Charles Scott is the best RB at LSU and will be better as a pro than as a collegian. Draft him now and watch him take off this year. JMO.
Yeah, I agree. Actually, he's probably closest to the NFL prototype of the three, because he's a better inside runner. The other 2 guys can be a little finesse sometimes.

Mccoy, Mcnight, and Murray are currently my 3 favorite Running Back prospects. I think Mccoy from PITT will have the biggest year by far though.

Chaos Commish said:

I have to disagree with the bolded. He just hasn't been the same since the knee injury his senior year of HS. When I first read this thread I thought of the guy who I think will replace him by midseason for Notre Dame: Robert Hughes.Robert was a top 10 back out of HS as well and runs with good power (5'11, 237 lbs), averaging 5.5 yards per carry last year as a freshman.

He's the only one of the three returning ND RBs to score a rushing TD last year and had the least amount of negative yards of the three as well. I really like his long term potential and with Clausen and the WR corps getting their feet more wet with college football, ND should be able to stretch the field more and give this guy better opportunities to run against softer fronts.

First off, thanks. This is truly great information and allows me to focus on 2009s prospects. I have four first round picks in a dynasty league this year, as I'm hoping to turn my team completely around in 2-3 years. How would these guys be ranked if the draft was held tommorow? How many of these guys are legit first round talents?

+10000Guy is a beast. You put him on an NFL team right now, he could rush for 1200 yards.

+10000Guy is a beast. You put him on an NFL team right now, he could rush for 1200 yards.
I don't watch a lot of college football and look to FBG for most of my info but from what little I've seen 2 guys have caught my eye:Charles Scott LSU- also thought he looked like a NFL bell cow RB watching him tonight. What kind of speed does he have?Javon Ringer MSU- was the lightning part of the backfield duo last year. This year the whole offense is geared around him, a real workhorse.

I don't watch a lot of college football and look to FBG for most of my info but from what little I've seen 2 guys have caught my eye:Charles Scott LSU- also thought he looked like a NFL bell cow RB watching him tonight. What kind of speed does he have?Javon Ringer MSU- was the lightning part of the backfield duo last year. This year the whole offense is geared around him, a real workhorse.

Shonn Greene of Iowa is a beast. Averaging well over a hundred yards a game even though defenses are keying on him due to the pathetic pass game. Outshined LeShaun McCoy today 2-1!

Users who are viewing this thread