What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Cassel (1 Viewer)

falconeyed

Footballguy
I looked around a bit and there seems to be a bit of discussion in various places about Cassel. Assuming Brady is out for any length of time, can Cassel efficiently lead NE's offense? I'm not assuming that he'll produce anything like what Brady would produce.

Again, assuming that Brady is out for any length of time (which at this time is unknown). Just some fruit for discussion. All I know about Cassel is that he hasn't started a football game since high school and his wife is apparently super hot.

I looked around a bit and there seems to be a bit of discussion in various places about Cassel. Assuming Brady is out for any length of time, can Cassel efficiently lead NE's offense? I'm not assuming that he'll produce anything like what Brady would produce.Again, assuming that Brady is out for any length of time (which at this time is unknown). Just some fruit for discussion. All I know about Cassel is that he hasn't started a football game since high school and his wife is apparently super hot.
My QB's suck so I picked him up, also have Moss. :tfp:

Just pulled off a trade and had an extra roster spot, so I picked him up.

I think Cassell has some promise, for sure, almost similar to Rodgers, no?

Considering they were barely able to beat the Chiefs, i don't think things bode well for the Pats. Cassell is not starter material imo.

I dropped Rodgers for CasselBarring him having a huge game vs MIN tomorrow, Id expect to be able to pick him back up if Cassel isnt worth hanging onto

If you look at this photo though

http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bradyinjurydl8.jpg

Im about 99% sure he tore either an ACL, MCL, or PCL, if not multiple ligaments

Whether NE tries to bring in another QB to be their new starter, that is unknown

I dropped Rodgers for CasselBarring him having a huge game vs MIN tomorrow, Id expect to be able to pick him back up if Cassel isnt worth hanging onto

If you look at this photo though

http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bradyinjurydl8.jpg

Im about 99% sure he tore either an ACL, MCL, or PCL, if not multiple ligaments

Whether NE tries to bring in another QB to be their new starter, that is unknown
great camera work there

As a Brady owner, I wouldn't touch Cassell. They barely beat KC. If I was a pats fan, I'd be very worried.

a never heard of him QB took the spot of a super QB Drew Bledsoe once upon a time .......... a grocery sacker took the place of Trent Green once ..... a Romo kid came to Dallas from nowhere .......... can Cassel be that ?

doubt it but things can happen

He's throwing to Moss and Welker and has a solid team/coaching all around - if your QBs suck and Brady is out any length of time, yes I'd pick him up. I'm more optimistic about Brady though.

Cassel should manage the offense just fine. He's not Brady, but the system is good so as long as Cassel does what he's told, they'll be effective.

Schefter reporting that they're flying in Chris Simms for a workout tomorrow. Does Cassel basically keep the spot warm until Simms is ready to start? From what I've seen of Simms in the past, I'm not so sure.

I dropped Rodgers for Cassel
Huh? You dropped a guy who was a STARTER, who basically beat out a Hall Of Famer.....for a 3rd stringer who was little more than a ceremonial pick so that Bill Belichick can prove that he can win with anyone?

I think this will not bode well for their defense as well as obviously for their offense. KC is one of if not the worst team in the league and the Pats had their hands full at home with them.

Schefter reporting that they're flying in Chris Simms for a workout tomorrow. Does Cassel basically keep the spot warm until Simms is ready to start? From what I've seen of Simms in the past, I'm not so sure.
No way any of those QBs start ahead of a guy who already has the playbook memorized. They'll re-sign Matt Gutierrez before inserting a random QB off the street.Bet Brett Favre wishes he would have waited until Week 1 to come out of retirement. :thumbdown:

He's throwing to Moss people this is not rocket science like this website makes it out to be. Moss = money. None of the Vikings Qb's had very good careers after Moss even if you count Johnsons ring which was won by being a game manager and relying on a stellar defense.

This might be heresy, but I think Tom Brady is a bit of a system quarterback.

And I don't mean that as a pure knock on the guy, but he was really a great skill set that got dropped into a rather innovative system. And he excelled with his brains more than his physical skill, I'd suggest. Recievers have been interchangable and this really went to the next level with Moss and Welker. A great pass emphasis and greater talent sent Brady to elite levels, but the little crosses they ran and that line protection benefited him greatly.

Furthermore, I think the Pats were due for a rollback this year. Lots of age, lots of luck(which the law of averages started to even out yesterday) and just the mental mind F of going unbeaten then losing the bowl, I thought they were in for it a bit this year.

So what does this mean?

Obvious downgrade to Cassel as a quarterback. No way an eight year back up can compare with a Hall of Famer, even if you speculate he was system driven. Jaime Martin put up some ok numbers in St. Louis but he wasn't Kurt Warner. Talent has to meet opportunity halfway.

But I think he could have success on the level of the 03-06 Brady. 3500 yards and 25+ TDs. He gets the bump to that level because of the talent upgrade. Not the 4000 and 40 TDs you would have earmarked for Brady, but a representative number to make an impact for probably all but three fantasy teams in your league(excepting the Peyton/Romo/Brees crowd). Personally, I have Carson Palmer as my QB in one league and I'm eyeing him as an immediate upgrade based on what i saw of what seemed to be a lost Palmer yesterday and the opportunity that awaits Cassel. I think any talk of another QB is crazy. This is not an easy system and there is no stud out there. Career scrub Chris Simms is an upgrade over Cassel with 4 years of experience? I don't think so.

This might be heresy, but I think Tom Brady is a bit of a system quarterback.And I don't mean that as a pure knock on the guy, but he was really a great skill set that got dropped into a rather innovative system. And he excelled with his brains more than his physical skill, I'd suggest. Recievers have been interchangable and this really went to the next level with Moss and Welker. A great pass emphasis and greater talent sent Brady to elite levels, but the little crosses they ran and that line protection benefited him greatly. Furthermore, I think the Pats were due for a rollback this year. Lots of age, lots of luck(which the law of averages started to even out yesterday) and just the mental mind F of going unbeaten then losing the bowl, I thought they were in for it a bit this year. So what does this mean?Obvious downgrade to Cassel as a quarterback. No way an eight year back up can compare with a Hall of Famer, even if you speculate he was system driven. Jaime Martin put up some ok numbers in St. Louis but he wasn't Kurt Warner. Talent has to meet opportunity halfway. But I think he could have success on the level of the 03-06 Brady. 3500 yards and 25+ TDs. He gets the bump to that level because of the talent upgrade. Not the 4000 and 40 TDs you would have earmarked for Brady, but a representative number to make an impact for probably all but three fantasy teams in your league(excepting the Peyton/Romo/Brees crowd). Personally, I have Carson Palmer as my QB in one league and I'm eyeing him as an immediate upgrade based on what i saw of what seemed to be a lost Palmer yesterday and the opportunity that awaits Cassel. I think any talk of another QB is crazy. This is not an easy system and there is no stud out there. Career scrub Chris Simms is an upgrade over Cassel with 4 years of experience? I don't think so.
This was my contention all along. Brady is great. I've loved watching the guy since he came on to the field vs. the Jets after Bledsoe got hurt (a game I was at). Cassel is not Brady, but Brady is not the system. The system is bigger than any one player. They've plugged guys in for years at different places, adjusted the schemes, and made it work. Granted TB was always in there but I don't subscribe to this whole "the Patriots are done" mentality.

This might be heresy, but I think Tom Brady is a bit of a system quarterback.And I don't mean that as a pure knock on the guy, but he was really a great skill set that got dropped into a rather innovative system. And he excelled with his brains more than his physical skill, I'd suggest. Recievers have been interchangable and this really went to the next level with Moss and Welker. A great pass emphasis and greater talent sent Brady to elite levels, but the little crosses they ran and that line protection benefited him greatly. Furthermore, I think the Pats were due for a rollback this year. Lots of age, lots of luck(which the law of averages started to even out yesterday) and just the mental mind F of going unbeaten then losing the bowl, I thought they were in for it a bit this year. So what does this mean?Obvious downgrade to Cassel as a quarterback. No way an eight year back up can compare with a Hall of Famer, even if you speculate he was system driven. Jaime Martin put up some ok numbers in St. Louis but he wasn't Kurt Warner. Talent has to meet opportunity halfway. But I think he could have success on the level of the 03-06 Brady. 3500 yards and 25+ TDs. He gets the bump to that level because of the talent upgrade. Not the 4000 and 40 TDs you would have earmarked for Brady, but a representative number to make an impact for probably all but three fantasy teams in your league(excepting the Peyton/Romo/Brees crowd). Personally, I have Carson Palmer as my QB in one league and I'm eyeing him as an immediate upgrade based on what i saw of what seemed to be a lost Palmer yesterday and the opportunity that awaits Cassel. I think any talk of another QB is crazy. This is not an easy system and there is no stud out there. Career scrub Chris Simms is an upgrade over Cassel with 4 years of experience? I don't think so.
This was my contention all along. Brady is great. I've loved watching the guy since he came on to the field vs. the Jets after Bledsoe got hurt (a game I was at). Cassel is not Brady, but Brady is not the system. The system is bigger than any one player. They've plugged guys in for years at different places, adjusted the schemes, and made it work. Granted TB was always in there but I don't subscribe to this whole "the Patriots are done" mentality.
I agree here. Also, B.B. is not an idiot, all the cheating crap aside from last year. Parcells managed to go 8-8 with quincy carter and other backup qbs, and he never had the raw talent that new england does on both sides of the ball. So they won't go for the juggular and put up a 30 spot on people.People are reading way too much into yesterdays close win. The guy who got 90% of the first team snaps goes down (and it happens to be brady of all people), and you thing that pats WEREN'T going to be a bit out of sync for the rest of the game? Now Cassel gets the starters snaps and the gameplan for next week tailored to him. Big difference.

I agree here. Also, B.B. is not an idiot, all the cheating crap aside from last year. Parcells managed to go 8-8 with quincy carter and other backup qbs, and he never had the raw talent that new england does on both sides of the ball. So they won't go for the juggular and put up a 30 spot on people.People are reading way too much into yesterdays close win. The guy who got 90% of the first team snaps goes down (and it happens to be brady of all people), and you thing that pats WEREN'T going to be a bit out of sync for the rest of the game? Now Cassel gets the starters snaps and the gameplan for next week tailored to him. Big difference.
Lots more 3 and outs for the Pats O=more time the D will be on the field=a more tired and more big plays on that D. Losing Brady will be a snowball effect on the whole team, it will hurt their D as well. Cassel isn't going to come in and be anywhere near as efficent as TB, he is going to see lots of blitzing, and I don't see him stepping up and handling it well. Moss didn't make the Raiders O any good when they had a bad QB, and this guy hasn't started a game since High School. Not good for NE :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots more 3 and out for the Pats O=more time the D will be on the field=more big plays on that D. Losing Brady will be a snowball effect on the whole team, it will hurt their D as well. Cassel isn'tgoing to come in and be anywhere as efficent as TB, he is going to see lots of blitzing, and I don't see him stepping up and handling well. Moss didn't make the Raider O any good when they had a bad QB, and this guy hasn't started a game since High School. Not good for NE :no:
Don't you think the Pats know and understand this? Don't you think they will try to minimize how much Cassell will have to win the game and instead just have him do things that are safe and can get first downs?I suspect the Pats will run more, throw short safe passes and not care too much if they have to punt as long as they don't have turnovers.They almost lost to the Chiefs. But isn't that better than losing to the Bears or the Panthers?As for the Moss/Raiders comparison, are the other guys on the Patriots offense as bas as the Raiders were? How about the coaching staff? If you said yes to both, then I am wasting my breath . . .

massraider said:
What was the last game Cassell started (Not including preseason)?Was it high school?
Football, yes, but he actually started 1 game for the USC baseball team as a pitcher. That has to translate to NFL QB success.

Bojang0301 said:
He's throwing to Moss people this is not rocket science like this website makes it out to be. Moss = money. None of the Vikings Qb's had very good careers after Moss even if you count Johnsons ring which was won by being a game manager and relying on a stellar defense.
I wouldn't make it out to be as easy as that. Look at what the Raiders QBs did with Moss. Not much. Obviously Moss was limited with injuries some of that time, and seems more committed now, but Moss can't turn every QB into a viable fantasy starter. He helps of course, but I wouldn't count on a lot of 200-250 yd 2 TD games from Cassel. I'm thinking more like 170-200, 1 TD, 2 INT type of games from him.

Lots more 3 and out for the Pats O=more time the D will be on the field=more big plays on that D. Losing Brady will be a snowball effect on the whole team, it will hurt their D as well. Cassel isn'tgoing to come in and be anywhere as efficent as TB, he is going to see lots of blitzing, and I don't see him stepping up and handling well. Moss didn't make the Raider O any good when they had a bad QB, and this guy hasn't started a game since High School. Not good for NE :sarcasm:
Don't you think the Pats know and understand this? Don't you think they will try to minimize how much Cassell will have to win the game and instead just have him do things that are safe and can get first downs?I suspect the Pats will run more, throw short safe passes and not care too much if they have to punt as long as they don't have turnovers.They almost lost to the Chiefs. But isn't that better than losing to the Bears or the Panthers?As for the Moss/Raiders comparison, are the other guys on the Patriots offense as bas as the Raiders were? How about the coaching staff? If you said yes to both, then I am wasting my breath . . .
Yuds, do you think Cassel is the guy the rest of the year or will a free agent like Simms compete? If Cassel's the guy, where do you see him finishing, fantasy-wise? TIA.

cassel got moved to be a backup TE his senior year at USC.pass.
Funny, because the guy he was replacing didn't exactly have the greatest college career either, and I don't think you'd "pass" on a free shot at him.
Actually Cassell was moved to TE his Junior year, but switched to backup QB his senior year. He also played WR and special teams. This just shows how redikulous USC football is to be sporting a once backup TE as a NFL QB.

Lots more 3 and out for the Pats O=more time the D will be on the field=more big plays on that D. Losing Brady will be a snowball effect on the whole team, it will hurt their D as well. Cassel isn'tgoing to come in and be anywhere as efficent as TB, he is going to see lots of blitzing, and I don't see him stepping up and handling well. Moss didn't make the Raider O any good when they had a bad QB, and this guy hasn't started a game since High School. Not good for NE :no:
No they are not as bad a unit as the Raiders were, but if you have marginal QB play, defenses will also use coaching and game planning to make Cassel beat them, and I don't like his chances. Can't wait to watch Cassel on Sunday...glad the Steelers play at 8:15. As TO would say,I'll have my :popcorn: ready

Lots more 3 and out for the Pats O=more time the D will be on the field=more big plays on that D. Losing Brady will be a snowball effect on the whole team, it will hurt their D as well. Cassel isn'tgoing to come in and be anywhere as efficent as TB, he is going to see lots of blitzing, and I don't see him stepping up and handling well. Moss didn't make the Raider O any good when they had a bad QB, and this guy hasn't started a game since High School. Not good for NE :popcorn:
Yuds, do you think Cassel is the guy the rest of the year or will a free agent like Simms compete? If Cassel's the guy, where do you see him finishing, fantasy-wise? TIA.
Word on the street is in a perfect world Cassellwill be the starter the rest of the way. They will get a veteran to back him up and learn the system. If at some point they don't like what they are getting from Cassell, then they will switch to someone else (either the vet or O'Connell).As far as Cassell's outlook, I doubt they will have him throwing the ball all over the place, so I would shoot conservative and say maybe 3000-3200 passing yards and 18-20 TD if he sticks as the starter. Look at him as a "game manager" a la Trent Dilfer.

Word on the street is in a perfect world Cassellwill be the starter the rest of the way. They will get a veteran to back him up and learn the system. If at some point they don't like what they are getting from Cassell, then they will switch to someone else (either the vet or O'Connell).As far as Cassell's outlook, I doubt they will have him throwing the ball all over the place, so I would shoot conservative and say maybe 3000-3200 passing yards and 18-20 TD if he sticks as the starter. Look at him as a "game manager" a la Trent Dilfer.
Thanks. Sadly, that may be an upgrade over my situation. :popcorn:

cassel got moved to be a backup TE his senior year at USC.pass.
Funny, because the guy he was replacing didn't exactly have the greatest college career either, and I don't think you'd "pass" on a free shot at him.
Brady was a starter at Michigan.Cassel never started a game in college and was moved to a backup TE his senior year.If you cannot see the difference I am baffled how you even turn on a computer to post.

Thanks. Sadly, that may be an upgrade over my situation. :thumbup:
Waited too late to grab a qb, ended up with Matt Ryan as my only. I'm deciding between flacco and Caselle. We pay $ for each transaction, so I'm not at liberty to add/drop guys every week based on matchups, so I've got a decision to make as well. Flacco looked pretty damn good, comparatively speaking. Was against the bungles though. I also can't grab both the guys because I don't have much dead weight on the roster to drop. Decisions decisions. Anyone have any thoughts on caselle vs. flacco? Also, does flacco lose his job once smith gets healthy?!?

massraider said:
What was the last game Cassell started (Not including preseason)?

Was it high school?
Yes.For those of you saying that Cassel didn't have a "great" college career, let me present to you his career stats at USC:

11 rushes for 32 yards

20/33 passing for 192 yards (0 TD / 1 INT)

1 rec for 12 yards

Thanks. Sadly, that may be an upgrade over my situation. :mellow:
Waited too late to grab a qb, ended up with Matt Ryan as my only. I'm deciding between flacco and Caselle. We pay $ for each transaction, so I'm not at liberty to add/drop guys every week based on matchups, so I've got a decision to make as well. Flacco looked pretty damn good, comparatively speaking. Was against the bungles though. I also can't grab both the guys because I don't have much dead weight on the roster to drop. Decisions decisions. Anyone have any thoughts on caselle vs. flacco? Also, does flacco lose his job once smith gets healthy?!?
That's a no brainer.Falcco is a rookie work in progress on a team with little receiver talent and a rookie coach.

Cassell is a vet (albeit with little starting experience) on the defending AFC champs with Moss and Welker starting at WR with a great (albeit an #######) coach.

Anybody have a decent scouting report on Cassell?

Not what he did, or didn't, do at Michigan but in his limited expose in the pros what is he good at and not so good at?

Quick reads?

Big arm?

I know little about this guy other then a career backup and Michigan and Brady's backup on the Pats.

As a Brady owner, I wouldn't touch Cassell. They barely beat KC. If I was a pats fan, I'd be very worried.
I wouldn't put too much stock into his first surprise appearance. I know back up QB's are supposed to be ready but come on, he's backing up Brady and the odds appeared very low that he'd get even one snap this entire season, or at least until week 16 or 17 when NE had home field wrapped. up. I'd also factor in that KC is much better against the pass than they are against the run due to a pretty decent group of young DB's that they selected in the first three rounds of the draft this year. They're young but very fast and quick and good at man to man coverage. Give Cassel a week to get the first team snaps in practice and although I haven't looked at the schedule yet it wouldn't surprise me if NE gets an easier set of DB's to throw against in their future games.

Anybody have a decent scouting report on Cassell?Not what he did, or didn't, do at Michigan but in his limited expose in the pros what is he good at and not so good at?Quick reads?Big arm?I know little about this guy other then a career backup and Michigan and Brady's backup on the Pats.
He did nothing at Michigan, I know that. :thumbup:

Jeff George is sitting by his phone right now filing his nails.
Jeff George is 40 and hasn't played an NFL game IN SEVEN YEARS. There's no way any team will be signing him at this point.If the Patriots decide to sign a veteran, it will be a veteran who either has recent NFL experience (Culpepper, Dilfer, Rattay, Simms) or someone who has played in the Patriots' system (Gutierrez).

I hear Drew Bledsoe is thinking about unretiring. :censored:

Anybody have a decent scouting report on Cassell?

Not what he did, or didn't, do at Michigan but in his limited expose in the pros what is he good at and not so good at?

Quick reads?

Big arm?

I know little about this guy other then a career backup and Michigan and Brady's backup on the Pats.
He did nothing at Michigan, I know that. :confused:
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread