Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

iphone Apps

Verbal Kint

I'm getting my wife an iphone and want to pre-load some apps on it. Love to hear some recommendations. Sorry if this is a honda.

Shazam (free) - If you hear a song playing, hold up your iphone. Shazam will tell you the artist, song name and album.

Night Camera (0.99) - taking iphotos at night

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting my wife an iphone and want to pre-load some apps on it. Love to hear some recommendations. Sorry if this is a honda. Shazam (free) - If you hear a song playing, hold up your iphone. Shazam will tell you the artist, song name and album.Night Camera (0.99) - taking iphotos at night

I saw a bubble level app that was pretty cool.

I'm getting my wife an iphone and want to pre-load some apps on it. Love to hear some recommendations. Sorry if this is a honda. Shazam (free) - If you hear a song playing, hold up your iphone. Shazam will tell you the artist, song name and album.Night Camera (0.99) - taking iphotos at night

I saw that too. :thumbup:

Hey Verbal - If you are looking at taking photos with your Iphone then I would suggest the phanfare application. It links directly to a phanfare account. It is a free application. The nice thing is that the app takes the photos right from your Iphone and posts them in an album on your phanfare account. This is pretty nice as the biggest challenge I have always had with cell phone pics was how to get them off of the phone. The Iphone takes pretty good pics as well.

My Faves (all free):

Pandora - online music app

Flycast - online radio

NetNewsWire - rss feeds

Sportacular - sports scores/stats

AroundMe - shows businesses close to your location

iTV - tv listings, movie listings, netflix queue

AirSharing - Wirelessly use iphone for data storage/access

Facebook - duh

Stanza - books

TapDefense - great tower defense game

Chess with friends - great chess game to play w/ friends who have an iPhone

Currently using

Pandora

Weather Channel--much better than the onboard weather app

Shazam

iEasyCamera--turns the entire touch screen into one large camera button instead of the small one

Now Playing--movie app ,find movies & theaters ,Rotten Tomatoes &Metacritic ,DVD & Blu-ray info w/imdb

Google Mobile-Voice search- Hold your iPhone to your ear and say what you want to search for

Amazon--currently my favorite. The Amazon Rembers

“There is, however, one unusual and noteworthy aspect of the app called Amazon Remembers, which Amazon is calling “experimental.” The tool lets users take a photograph of any product they see in the real world. The photos are then uploaded to Amazon and turned over to the far-flung freelance workers in Amazon’s Mechanical Turk program, who will try to match them with products for sale on Amazon.com. The results will not be instantaneous -about 5 minutes but the idea is to entice consumers to buy products from Amazon instead of its offline rivals

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=U...ocId=1000291661

Just downloaded Urbanspoon (automatic restaurant finder by locale, price and type)

Shazam hold your iphone up to the music and it reports name, artist, album plus a link to itunes.

A simple yet cool app I've been missing since my old LG phone is now available. Quickvoice lets you record voice memos. I've always liked being able to say "Note to self" and record quick voice notes. Much easier than typing stuff into your iphone notepad.

All of the above apps are free.

I have a few pdf books and im having trouble with Stanza. what is the best way to get my PDF books on the Iphone. email does not work well, since after 50 email it erases, and I can't book mark. plus any it does not fit the screan well and it has that anoying buffering thing when you scroll.

I tried a few things with Stanza but I cant even make it find my computer with the "Shared books" feature, its just stuck searching.

Urbanspoon (fantastic restaurant finder) just had an excellent update recently.

They went from just the big cities to now claiming they cover every town in America and Canada.

I tried my own little hole in the wall town and sure enough they had even the smallest diners listed.

These are all free.

The Weather Channel

Word Warp (a timed jumble type of word game, me & my fiancee take turns while watching tv, pretty fun and good for the brain)

Speed Dial 1-4 (You can get 4 free speed dials that can be placed on the "home page". One touch to call you, home, work, etc. Very convenient.)

Pandora (great music app)

Flashlight (This app makes the Iphone's screen a bright white light. Can be very handy.)

Units (converts many kinds of units like area, volume, temperature, lenght, weight, etc)

Level (the bubble level)

Recorder (records audio)

Bix (simple yet addictive game)

Taxi (touch the Taxi app and the Iphone GPS determines where you are in the world and lists local taxi services.)

Translator (translates languages)

Big Oven (thousands of recipes)

Google Earth

Face Double (take someone's picture, then Face Double matches it to celebrities. Everyone usually gets a kick out of it.)

Stethescope (probably never use it, but it's just cool)

2 Across (crossword puzzles)

Drinks Free (basically a bartenders guide)

vlingo (I just got this app and it's pretty cool. It's basically a vocal web search. Rather than type what to search for, you speak it.)

I'm no musician but I like messing around on the sound-mixer apps. I currently have digi drummer or something but it's getting old. Recommendations?

For games:

Defend

TapDefense

Fieldrunners

Cube Runner

Galcon

Shufflepuck

TanZen

Live Poker

Do apps come and go or once you've got one is it for good?

If you want to get rid of it for good you'll need to delete it from the computer your iphone syncs with

ETA: Here's how to delete it from just the phone itself:

LINK

one other cool feature is that the app store remebers what you've purchased

so, even if you don't have your app backed up/synced in iTunes, you can delete

it on your iphone and then re-download it later at no charge.

I found this out when my 3 year old son accidentally deleted an app when messing

with my phone.

Speaking of kids, I made a special app page for my son with some cool simple (free) games

on it so that he has his own page and doesn't mess with my stuff. Not fool proof but reduces

the number of times he's trashing my stuff. The games on his page are: jirbo match lite, dizzy bee lite,

topple, cube runner and scribble (simple drawing app). fwiw.

I just found a HELL of an application called App Sniper. It basically keeps a constant watch for apps that go free or on sale, including a list of applications which have recently gone from paid to free. I just nabbed MagicPad, which includes a cut/paste function and normally costs $3.99, for free.

App Sniper only costs 99 cents, and so far given what I could've paid Versus what I actually paid, it's already saved me $9 in a span of about 7-10 minutes. Awesome.

Becoming a big fan of AOL Radio

It's a lot like XM / Sirius, but with the obvious commercials.

It has lots of dedicated channels and I like the idea of being able to listen to the local sports radio wherever I am.

Plus, you can bookmark songs that are playing

Becoming a big fan of AOL RadioIt's a lot like XM / Sirius, but with the obvious commercials.It has lots of dedicated channels and I like the idea of being able to listen to the local sports radio wherever I am.Plus, you can bookmark songs that are playing

With the iphone can you hook this up to your car radio via aux cord and listen to this as you are driving? How is the reception?

If you are listening to music via iTunes around the house through speakers, the Apple Remote is pretty cool and free. I thought I saw a Tivo remote app somewhere too. OrbLive is still one of my favorites at $9.99 and is well worh it IMO (free trial available as well)

As stupid as some people might think this one is, it actually works. I have used to level a few prints at work.

Becoming a big fan of AOL RadioIt's a lot like XM / Sirius, but with the obvious commercials.It has lots of dedicated channels and I like the idea of being able to listen to the local sports radio wherever I am.Plus, you can bookmark songs that are playing

With the iphone can you hook this up to your car radio via aux cord and listen to this as you are driving? How is the reception?
anyone?? Pandora work this way as well?

anyone?? Pandora work this way as well?
yes

Archived