What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tatum Bell's cell phone selling career (1 Viewer)

GiantsRule

Footballguy
My apologies in advance if this was discussed before.

Without looking at the specifics, Tatum Bell must have made a decent amount of money in his 3 full seasons as an NFL running back. As a 2nd round pick in 2004 and going by league minimums, he must have made close to a million bucks right there. That doesn't even include any incentive bonuses he might have earned, a sign-on bonus (if 2nd rounders are eligible) or his salary for the 2007 season and 2008 preseason (until the Lions plucked Rudi Johnson off waivers and released Bell).

Has it been documented where all of his money went? Did he put it in bad investments, or just spend it irresponsibly as many young, foolish athletes have done?

My wife seems to think that maybe he took the job as a favor to a friend or family member and was just looking for mundane work to pass the time. I can't image an athlete in his mid-20s would rather spend his time hawking cheap cell phone accessories instead of doing something more constructive.

Certainly not passing judgment or making fun of Bell if his plight required him to work a kiosk to support his family. Just curious how he burned through seven figures of income over just 4 years.

Has it been documented where all of his money went? Did he put it in bad investments, or just spend it irresponsibly as many young, foolish athletes have done?
Or maybe he realized that what he made won't support him and a family for years to come. He's young as you said, and so he has a lot of time ahead of him to spend money.

He stole Rudi Johnson's luggage, I'm pretty sure he's broke. Given his decision making skills, a good guess is that his money went up his nose.

I think it's a few things:

1) Don't underestimate the value of the job as a PR tool. It got his name in the papers and also sent the messages that he hit bottom and better yet that he knew he hit bottom so he did the responsible thing and got a job even if it was a cruddy one. Did it help him get picked up again? You never know.

2) Tatum Bell had an ego. I'm sure he felt there was more where that came from. That's not the smartest decision making there could be, but it's the way a lot of young people think.

3) It does take a substantial amount of money to live the NFL lifestyle. This is why the VP pulling down $250,000 might feel a pinch spending his time around the CEO, the CFO, and several board members.

How much do you think he made in his career? Around 3 million or so? Take out the taxes and the 10 - 20% for agent fee. Still a lot of money but it's a lot less. And young people in their 20's don't really have t he best money management skills.

First of all, if you make $1 million, the governments are going to take at least 40% of it. That leaves you with $600k. You buy a $500k house and 20% will take $100k from your remainder for the downpayment. You buy a luxury SUV, furniture, electronics and clothing, and there went another $100k.

Your lifestyle will consume another $100k (dinners for friends, plane trips, vacations etc.)

You have $300k to invest, if you're lucky. $300k will bring you $18,000 at 6% interest.

Ergo, you're going to need a day job.

First of all, if you make $1 million, the governments are going to take at least 40% of it. That leaves you with $600k. You buy a $500k house and 20% will take $100k from your remainder for the downpayment. You buy a luxury SUV, furniture, electronics and clothing, and there went another $100k.Your lifestyle will consume another $100k (dinners for friends, plane trips, vacations etc.)You have $300k to invest, if you're lucky. $300k will bring you $18,000 at 6% interest.Ergo, you're going to need a day job.
LOL, your money management skills aren't that good either.

First of all, if you make $1 million, the governments are going to take at least 40% of it. That leaves you with $600k. You buy a $500k house and 20% will take $100k from your remainder for the downpayment. You buy a luxury SUV, furniture, electronics and clothing, and there went another $100k.Your lifestyle will consume another $100k (dinners for friends, plane trips, vacations etc.)You have $300k to invest, if you're lucky. $300k will bring you $18,000 at 6% interest.Ergo, you're going to need a day job.
Well, Vick managed to piss away $100 mil; I think that's pretty realistic, given the way a 23 years old looks at lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Vick managed to piss away $100 mil; I think that's pretty realistic, given the way a 23 years old looks at lifestyle.
Ok, I thought you were defending him, but if you were making fun of him, you did pretty good.

Ok, I thought you were defending him, but if you were making fun of him, you did pretty good.
I wasn't making fun of him either. I just think that most 23 year olds are not savvy enough to realize that their career may only last for 3 or 4 years, and that they'd better save and invest wisely. And that even if they do, they will need an income stream from somewhere to help them have a better than average income for the rest of their lives.

Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
I wasn't making fun of him either. I just think that most 23 year olds are not savvy enough to realize that their career may only last for 3 or 4 years, and that they'd better save and invest wisely. And that even if they do, they will need an income stream from somewhere to help them have a better than average income for the rest of their lives.
:mellow: The other part of the equation is that these guys don't get paid the full amount you read about in the papers. Deals are incentive based, and back-end loaded so they can be restructured....a lot of contracts look good on paper, but never gets paid out.Here is a snippet I found on Bell's first contract:
While details were not released, a source said the four year deal likely includes about $1.8 million between Bell's signing bonus and some incentives based on minimum playing time, which would match the guaranteed money Dallas Cowboys rookie running back Julius Jones received.
His deal with the Lions was for $1.6 Million but he got released, so he wasn't paid anywhere close to that.His current contract is for $600K.....but that's pro rated based on how many games he's been with the team.Bell hasn't made the kind of money where he would be set for life anyway.

Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
This is why NFL players get meal money!

Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
:popcorn: The other part of the equation is that these guys don't get paid the full amount you read about in the papers. Deals are incentive based, and back-end loaded so they can be restructured....a lot of contracts look good on paper, but never gets paid out.Here is a snippet I found on Bell's first contract:
While details were not released, a source said the four year deal likely includes about $1.8 million between Bell's signing bonus and some incentives based on minimum playing time, which would match the guaranteed money Dallas Cowboys rookie running back Julius Jones received.
His deal with the Lions was for $1.6 Million but he got released, so he wasn't paid anywhere close to that.His current contract is for $600K.....but that's pro rated based on how many games he's been with the team.Bell hasn't made the kind of money where he would be set for life anyway.
Understood that the money he made probably couldn't last him a lifetime, particularly if he bought houses, cars, jewelry, etc.But was a cell phone kiosk really the only job he could score? Hell, Joey Harrington continues to stay employed in the NFL as does Bruce Gradkowski and countless others with "negative talent" in the NFL. He couldn't have gone the Heath Shuler route of becoming a real estate mogul or go the way of other urban professionals from the sports world and start a production company?

Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
:goodposting: The other part of the equation is that these guys don't get paid the full amount you read about in the papers. Deals are incentive based, and back-end loaded so they can be restructured....a lot of contracts look good on paper, but never gets paid out.Here is a snippet I found on Bell's first contract:
Understood that the money he made probably couldn't last him a lifetime, particularly if he bought houses, cars, jewelry, etc.But was a cell phone kiosk really the only job he could score? Hell, Joey Harrington continues to stay employed in the NFL as does Bruce Gradkowski and countless others with "negative talent" in the NFL. He couldn't have gone the Heath Shuler route of becoming a real estate mogul or go the way of other urban professionals from the sports world and start a production company?
He might have, but he had so much baggage...

Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
chris1969 said:
Ozymandias said:
:yucky: The other part of the equation is that these guys don't get paid the full amount you read about in the papers. Deals are incentive based, and back-end loaded so they can be restructured....a lot of contracts look good on paper, but never gets paid out.Here is a snippet I found on Bell's first contract:
He might have, but he had so much baggage...
The luggage theft story sounded like it was built up to be more of an issue than it was. Certainly bizarre, but that shouldn't have sealed his fate. Hell, Steve Smith beat up several teammates over the years but couldn't be benched because of his talent.On the field, he seemed to play hard. He complained about playing time in Detroit and rightfully should have. Why should he become a non-factor on a bad team when he was a 1,000 yard rusher with a high YPC average during his time as a starter? I think we've seen over the last two years that Detroit doesn't exactly make the best personnel decisions so it's clearly not only his fault.So what other baggage would have kept him out of the league and holding a menial job like he had?

It's pretty well known that people who run into lots of money in a relatively short period of time (athletes, celebrities, lottery winners, etc.) have a good chance of blowing quite a bit of it. Not everyone will, but not everyone will be thinking long term as far as the finances go.

For example, look at MC Hammer, Latrell Sprewell, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread