What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Facebook? (4 Viewers)

I have a strange combination of FBGs, high school acquaintances and actual friends. I feel like I need three profiles in order to keep the planets aligned.

I have one, but I'm too old for it. I do like it as an easy way to stay in touch with some friends/acquaintances but there's definitely a downside. For one thing, I largely hate status updates. For every one or two facebook friends I have who gives interesting ones, there are twenty who share every detail of their lives. This gives me far too much insight into them. For instance, I didn't need to know that the girl I had a crush on in high school is a scary evangelical. Or that the future co-worker who has pretty much the most impressive credentials I've ever seen is actually pretty inane personally.
Status updates are great for flushing out the mouth-breathers. "Jenny is doing laundry" or "Frank is going to the grocery store" speaks volumes.I've resisted the urge to leave "Keep us updated!" comments, but my patience is wearing thin.

I have one, but I'm too old for it. I do like it as an easy way to stay in touch with some friends/acquaintances but there's definitely a downside. For one thing, I largely hate status updates. For every one or two facebook friends I have who gives interesting ones, there are twenty who share every detail of their lives. This gives me far too much insight into them. For instance, I didn't need to know that the girl I had a crush on in high school is a scary evangelical. Or that the future co-worker who has pretty much the most impressive credentials I've ever seen is actually pretty inane personally.
Status updates are great for flushing out the mouth-breathers. "Jenny is doing laundry" or "Frank is going to the grocery store" speaks volumes.I've resisted the urge to leave "Keep us updated!" comments, but my patience is wearing thin.
I've done a couple "...is doing nothing, but posting updates about it anyhow" updates as a passive aggressive way to deal with it, but like your suggestion, the knuckledraggers probably consider it flattering.

I really wish you were my dad or son or something.

Sure, but the FFA consumes far more of my time and it isn't even close.
Agreed, except for the belonging to facebook part. I spend an incredible amount of time in the FFA and my life is better for it. :football:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on every day for about 2 minutes. It doesn't seem any different than checking email in the morning.

About 30 friends here in Nashville and 40 younger friends in Florida. Someone is always have a baby, or a birthday or something. I use the "less about" quite a bit.

Not old yet... :lmao:

Julia M agrees that ye be mateys. Arrr! She be new to Facebook. Ye best be givin' 'er introductions to th' crew and Hail ye mateys who know of this wench. 13 shots of rum ago
Big fan of the term wench. :lmao:

A friend of mine teases girls on there. Adds hot chicks that have chosen to "attend an event" and then brings up being facebook friends when he sees them at the party. They talk about how they know the friends that they have in common. More power to him but I cancelled my page when my mom joined. Worlds Galaxies colliding indeed.
It's called faceboinking

I have a facebook account, but seriously don't see how you could spend more than 10-15 minutes a day on it. What is there to do other than to respond to messages and such?

Had fought this for ages... finally caved tuesday after hearing my buddy who's leaving for the military will be using that as a sounding board for his progress. Signed up and found a few folks already sent friend requests. Spent about 30m browsing their lists looking for mutual friends to add. From there it's grown exponentially. Now around 80 friends in the first full day or so.

Honestly most of them are folks I'm kinda happy to be back in touch with. I'll certainly still use traditional means to keep in touch with my core group of friends but this is a simple one-stop place to keep in touch with the "see out in a bar 3x a year" group. I have been blown away by the number of follks who are on here.... and this is mostly in the late 20's early 30's crowd.

Another side benefit is a bunch of my family are on here and it will provide a nice way to keep in touch with them and their new kids. The short informal chatter beats having to email pics and deal with forced back-and-forth emails a couple times a year.

So far :goodposting:

Had fought this for ages... finally caved tuesday after hearing my buddy who's leaving for the military will be using that as a sounding board for his progress. Signed up and found a few folks already sent friend requests. Spent about 30m browsing their lists looking for mutual friends to add. From there it's grown exponentially. Now around 80 friends in the first full day or so. Honestly most of them are folks I'm kinda happy to be back in touch with. I'll certainly still use traditional means to keep in touch with my core group of friends but this is a simple one-stop place to keep in touch with the "see out in a bar 3x a year" group. I have been blown away by the number of follks who are on here.... and this is mostly in the late 20's early 30's crowd. Another side benefit is a bunch of my family are on here and it will provide a nice way to keep in touch with them and their new kids. The short informal chatter beats having to email pics and deal with forced back-and-forth emails a couple times a year. So far :)
This is basically my exact view of it. I recently caved as well.

Just started. Is there a good "how to without being a dork" cliff notes out there for this? Scooby's thing on status reports is what I'm talking about.

J

Granted I am sure many of you have been on Facebook for a long time, and I realize the website isnt new.. but is something driving new traffic? Seems to be a surge of new registrants recently. Easy for me to say since I just joined.. but it seems like more and more people are talking about it very recently (ie Joe, icon, myself, others just now signed up.)

Granted I am sure many of you have been on Facebook for a long time, and I realize the website isnt new.. but is something driving new traffic? Seems to be a surge of new registrants recently. Easy for me to say since I just joined.. but it seems like more and more people are talking about it very recently (ie Joe, icon, myself, others just now signed up.)
It's gone viral.

I often hear folks talk about how much time they spend on facebook. What exactly are they doing?

For you folks that spend a ton of time there, what's the routine?

J

Just signed up this week as well. My sis signed up a couple of weeks ago and came across a couple of my H.S. buddies I haven't seen in about a decade. So far, all the friend requests I've gotten are from people I haven't seen in that long or longer which is pretty cool.

I often hear folks talk about how much time they spend on facebook. What exactly are they doing? For you folks that spend a ton of time there, what's the routine?J
It's your own blog/website/portal. You can become "fan" of the businesses, restaurants and/or products you buy or use. Can you list the books you read.

I often hear folks talk about how much time they spend on facebook. What exactly are they doing? For you folks that spend a ton of time there, what's the routine?J
I don't spend an 1/8th of the time there my wife does. But from what I can see it's a chance to :confused: about thoughts and to keep in touch/find others you haven't stayed in touch with instead of through E-mails.. Much like here... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started. Is there a good "how to without being a dork" cliff notes out there for this? Scooby's thing on status reports is what I'm talking about.

J
First up, Join "Have a great season, guy." ;)
Let's back up from there. How do the groups work on this?J
I know nothing.. I've figured out how to tie my flickr site into Facebook and joined two groups so far.. Other than that I'm winging it.

Punk said:
[icon] said:
Now around 80 friends in the first full day or so.
I never would have guessed this. I didn't think anyone liked you.
Actually there are exactly 60 people on the face of this earth that like me and 20 who signed up as a friend for the naked pictures of my GF that I update weekly. Everyone else pretty much wants to have nothing to do with me :popcorn: :

Bamboo Bill said:
Denver Cat Lover said:
It's gone viral.
:popcorn: It's the word of mouth / Pyramid marketing thing really starting to hit it's stride. I have noticed a TON of the folks who I'm buddying up with are new as well. They'll be past 200MM users by Q4 of 2009. If there's a way to invest in facebook, it's a good idea to do so.

snogger said:
Joe Bryant said:
I don't spend an 1/8th of the time there my wife does. But from what I can see it's a chance to :hophead: about thoughts and to keep in touch/find others you haven't stayed in touch with instead of through E-mails.. Much like here... ;)
I guess I mean exactly how they do it? Is it posting on other people's walls? Or writing about yourself? J

Joe Bryant said:
I often hear folks talk about how much time they spend on facebook. What exactly are they doing?

J
Look at messages and mafia wars. I am one of those "dorks" you were referring to earlier.

Bamboo Bill said:
Denver Cat Lover said:
It's gone viral.
:hophead: It's the word of mouth / Pyramid marketing thing really starting to hit it's stride. I have noticed a TON of the folks who I'm buddying up with are new as well. They'll be past 200MM users by Q4 of 2009. If there's a way to invest in facebook, it's a good idea to do so.
It's also a good time to advertise on Facebook while rates are still cheap. You only pay on a Pay-Per-Click basis, but your ad also gets branding and impressions. You can also do some cool demographic and geo targeting by city, state, gender, age, hobbies and interests. Joe, you could setup a campaign to target males age 20 to 40 who have "fantasy football" as one of the hobbies. Might be money well spent.

Punk said:
[icon] said:
Now around 80 friends in the first full day or so.
I never would have guessed this. I didn't think anyone liked you.
Actually there are exactly 60 people on the face of this earth that like me and 20 who signed up as a friend for the naked pictures of my GF that I update weekly. Everyone else pretty much wants to have nothing to do with me ;) :
:hophead:

Joe Bryant said:

J
Look at messages and mafia wars. I am one of those "dorks" you were referring to earlier.
Hi girl A. I'm sure you're not a dork. I was wanting to know how to do facebook without it being obvious I was a dork. For messages, do you mean messages on your wall? And what is mafia wars?

J

Users who are viewing this thread