What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TV Deals Thread (1 Viewer)

Looking for a 32" or 40" 1080p for my kid's PS4. If anyone sees anything let me know. Has to be 1080p, though.
This as a gift... 720p is fine for what I needed though.
PS4 can run games at 1080p, so that's the only reason for me. I think the XBox One is only 720p.
Unless you are sitting extremely close you won't be able to distinguish between 720 and 1080 on a 32" TV.
Actually, he does sit pretty close. :)

Looking for a 32" or 40" 1080p for my kid's PS4. If anyone sees anything let me know. Has to be 1080p, though.
This as a gift... 720p is fine for what I needed though.
PS4 can run games at 1080p, so that's the only reason for me. I think the XBox One is only 720p.
Both can do 1080p. Currently PS4 has more games that do 1080p (and some multi-plat games are 1080p on PS4 and 720p on XB1, though some of those suffer from bad framerate problems on the PS4 so they probably should have just been 720p on both).

As the consoles mature and developers get more time with them I'm guessing we'll see most games hit 1080p on both consoles.

I have no need for a TV, but these deals are ridiculous and have me wanting to just buy a TV to put somewhere. (Kitchen? Basement? Garage??)

I have no need for a TV, but these deals are ridiculous and have me wanting to just buy a TV to put somewhere. (Kitchen? Basement? Garage??)
I've got one in my garage and it's great. Can watch a ballgame or listen to music while getting stuff done. Also the wife smokes but never in the house, so in the winter she goes to the garage and uses the TV out there. Highly recommend it...

You're not kidding. Paid 800 for a Samsung Plasma 50' 4 years ago and that was cheap then.

Oat,

If you just need to buy one, we could use one for the play room. Pm me for an addy. Thx

TF

If you're looking for a cheap 32" TV, TigerDirect has this one on sale for $139 after coupon and rebate thru December 3rd.

I only needed one for my son's PS4, so it's not like I needed something top of the line. It's totally a brand I never heard of (Upstar) and I can't find any reviews on it. I'm suspicious that it's really 1080p even though every website I see it listed HAS it listed at 1080p. If I go to the mfg website it says that the PE32WY model is only 720p, but the model on TigerDirect is PE32WY8. So maybe the addition of the "8" makes it 1080p? :shrug:

TigerDirect has always been pretty good to me when I have ordered from them (I typically order from NewEgg), so I figured I would bite the bullet and take a chance on it since it's only $139. If it's not 1080p or is crappy then I guess I'll just return it right away.

Anyone have any experience with this brand?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for a cheap 32" TV, TigerDirect has this one on sale for $139 after coupon and rebate thru December 3rd.

I only needed one for my son's PS4, so it's not like I needed something top of the line. It's totally a brand I never heard of (Upstar) and I can't find any reviews on it. I'm suspicious that it's really 1080p even though every website I see it listed HAS it listed at 1080p. If I go to the mfg website it says that the PE32WY model is only 720p, but the model on TigerDirect is PE32WY8. So maybe the addition of the "8" makes it 1080p? :shrug:

TigerDirect has always been pretty good to me when I have ordered from them (I typically order from NewEgg), so I figured I would bite the bullet and take a chance on it since it's only $139. If it's not 1080p or is crappy then I guess I'll just return it right away.

Can you explain spending $400 on a high performance, top of the line gaming system and then playing it on a $150 60Hz tv that doesn't utilize said performance? I'd think swapping the price points would be the way to go.

Nothin good now.... Boooo
I've gotta think retailers need to let a little time go by after their Black Friday "deals" before they roll them out again. Otherwise, wouldn't that take some of the luster away from Black Friday?How about cyber Monday? Since most of us are looking to buy online anyhow.

Can you explain spending $400 on a high performance, top of the line gaming system and then playing it on a $150 60Hz tv that doesn't utilize said performance? I'd think swapping the price points would be the way to go.
What do you mean, "doesn't utilize said performance"? It's a 1080p LED HDTV. What am I missing? What else do I need from the TV to "utilize said performance" that a 12-year old would notice? :shrug:

What do you mean, "doesn't utilize said performance"? It's a 1080p LED HDTV. What am I missing? What else do I need from the TV to "utilize said performance" that a 12-year old would notice? :shrug:
More than 60hz.

More than 60hz.
60hz TV with a low response time will reduce motion blur for regular TV. Anything over 60hz won't improve games, but you do want the lowest response time possible.

The benefit of 120hz is for movies since 24hz divides evenly (5 times for every frame). However you do get more of the too-smooth 'soap opera effect' with 120hz and 240hz.

240hz is mainly necessary for 3D movies since it shows 120hz to each eye.

IMO anything over 60hz is unnecessary on a 32" since you are unlikely to be watching a lot of movies on it.

cstu said:
IMO anything over 60hz is unnecessary on a 32" since you are unlikely to be watching a lot of movies on it.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I only got the cheap one because it's for my son and his PS4 only.

I want a biggish screen for sports, but will be a fair amount of flicks and some kids duty as well.

It's not a dark room, but one that doesn't get any direct light. Seating will be anywhere from 7-10 feet. Looking at a 45-51" plasma. What other specs should I care about? Does 720 vs 1080 matter? 60/120/240hz? What is "low response time" and how do I tell?

I want a biggish screen for sports, but will be a fair amount of flicks and some kids duty as well.

It's not a dark room, but one that doesn't get any direct light. Seating will be anywhere from 7-10 feet. Looking at a 45-51" plasma. What other specs should I care about? Does 720 vs 1080 matter? 60/120/240hz? What is "low response time" and how do I tell?
You don't have to worry about Hz OR response times with plasmas as they are instantaneous. At 7 - 10 feet, I think 720p is going to be fine - you would have to be real close to the TV to see the difference. However, if you can get a 1080p for only a few bucks more I would do it.

Here is a seating chart to look at to give you some idea.

Keep in mind, it looks like LED/LCDs have won the TV wars and plasmas more than likely will be phased out over the next several years. LCD/LEDs have come close to closing the gaps, but AFAIK plasmas are still the king for movies due to the blacks it can achieve and overall picture quality.

For what it's worth, I own two plasmas because I watch A LOT of movies.

You don't have to worry about Hz OR response times with plasmas as they are instantaneous. At 7 - 10 feet, I think 720p is going to be fine - you would have to be real close to the TV to see the difference. However, if you can get a 1080p for only a few bucks more I would do it.

Keep in mind, it looks like LED/LCDs have won the TV wars and plasmas more than likely will be phased out over the next several years. LCD/LEDs have come close to closing the gaps, but AFAIK plasmas are still the king for movies due to the blacks it can achieve and overall picture quality.

Thanks a bunch Max -- exactly what I was looking for. Didn't realize the Ls were winning though. From the sound of the threads here everyone loves their plasma.

Anyone have experience with Best Buy's store brand, "Insignia" TV's? Apparently they rival big-name brands and actually use Sharp LED panels, which are high quality.

Do you have to be a total TV snob to tell the difference? They're selling 50" LED's for $399.99. Seems like a ridiculous deal if they are decent quality.

Edit: looks like it's 60 hz. At 50 inches, if I buy a PS4 will it be noticeably worse than 120 hz?

Thanks a bunch Max -- exactly what I was looking for. Didn't realize the Ls were winning though. From the sound of the threads here everyone loves their plasma.
They are winning simply because OLED are on their way. They have the best of an LCD/LED and Plasma in one TV. It's the display of the future IMO.

46" 1080p Samsung LED 60 hz for $477 in Amazon.

But in the reviews, there's a guy saying Samsung uses a "panel lottery" and you might get screwed and not actually get a Samsung LED panel on such a nice TV...is this true?? Great deal if it's not true, or great deal if you luck out and get a Samsung panel.

Seems crazy that it could be true though.

But in the reviews, there's a guy saying Samsung uses a "panel lottery" and you might get screwed and not actually get a Samsung LED panel on such a nice TV...is this true?? Great deal if it's not true, or great deal if you luck out and get a Samsung panel.

That would be very surprising since Samsung has a huge panel factory and OEMs a lot of panels.

That would be very surprising since Samsung has a huge panel factory and OEMs a lot of panels.
I'm not one to trust any old internet dude, but he seemed to be fairly informed. Said LG doesn't do the panel lottery thing, Panasonic and Sony are vowing to stop doing it, and Samsung has NO plans to stop doing it. Seems legit, his review is the first one and has gotten lots of thumbs up. Is this a legit concern? I've literally never heard of this before. I'd hate to spring for a sweet $500 TV, good brand and all, and actually be getting a TV with the picture of a $3-400 TV.

Did he link to a news article? Any source whatsoever? Or is this just a random crazy dude on the internet posting nonsense?

Did he link to a news article? Any source whatsoever? Or is this just a random crazy dude on the internet posting nonsense?
Yeah, I'm thinking he's got an axe to grind or just hates his TV for some reason. Says he has this exact Samsung TV, but it has a Sharp panel (which are actually supposed to be high quality).I think he's full of ####. I just panicked reading that because I'm not your typical FBG (yet, of course). If I'm going to drop $500 on a sweet TV, even on sale, I want it to be a sweet TV.

This guy is probably a loon. I probably won't be able to tell the difference even if he's right. This thing seems like a sweet deal.

This same deal is on Amazon and Best Buy. Nothing but great reviews from anyone else for the most part.

I'm not one to trust any old internet dude, but he seemed to be fairly informed. Said LG doesn't do the panel lottery thing, Panasonic and Sony are vowing to stop doing it, and Samsung has NO plans to stop doing it. Seems legit, his review is the first one and has gotten lots of thumbs up.Is this a legit concern? I've literally never heard of this before. I'd hate to spring for a sweet $500 TV, good brand and all, and actually be getting a TV with the picture of a $3-400 TV.
I've heard of it before. Forget what TV I was looking at, but, in my research I found that a bunch of the same model TV were made in different factories, you had to look at the serial number to find out if it was really the "good" one. So I went to a bunch of stores and found that all that they had left were the "bad" factory versions. For the price I was going to pay I stayed away. Instead I found a good deal on woot instead,

I was looking for a tv for my mom. She is still using a 32"+ tube tv and I was looking to spend around $500 or less. I went to Amazon and bought a LG 47" for $399, 1080p, 60 hz. She does not watch movies nor does she play video games. Football games are viewed but that would be it for faster moving type stuff. Also, went through Amazon, and this deal, instead of buying from a store because it is getting shipped to her house. I think the tv will be fine for her viewing needs. Wanted to do a Plasma for her but went with an LED. I will have to show her how to set the settings but that should be easy.

Well, took the plunge. Picking up the $477 Samsung 46" 1080p 60 hz tomorrow. Seems like a pretty good deal and when I get a PS4 I don't want to be playing it on a 32" LCD.

I have a Samsung Plasma I bought 4 years ago and it still rocks. I'm considering getting one of the Panasonic S60's if they drop any, though.

MaxThreshold said:

Found some pretty good reviews (relative to the price) for the 720 model

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889650001

MaxThreshold said:

Thanks, TF! How did i miss that? So 4 out of 5 stars has me hopeful that it's decent. My only hope is that the model truly is 1080p like it's advertised. If not, TigerDirect will definitely be hearing from me.

Cyber Monday lists out yet?... What's everyone seeing?

I just poked around Amazon because they're advertising Cyber Monday deals starting today... but I hope that's not true because the deals are pretty awful (at least for TV's, which is what I'm looking for).

MaxThreshold said:

Thanks, TF! How did i miss that? So 4 out of 5 stars has me hopeful that it's decent. My only hope is that the model truly is 1080p like it's advertised. If not, TigerDirect will definitely be hearing from me.
NP. I'm too lazy to look, how much is the shipping?

MaxThreshold said:

Like, 9 or 10 bucks.

MaxThreshold said:

Like, 9 or 10 bucks.
:thumbup:

Any idea if this would be a good outdoor TV?

MaxThreshold said:

Like, 9 or 10 bucks.

Upstar is a brand I never heard of so I have no idea. Supposed to be delivered on Wednesday so I can give an update of my first impressions are.

MaxThreshold said:

Like, 9 or 10 bucks.

Upstar is a brand I never heard of so I have no idea. Supposed to be delivered on Wednesday so I can give an update of my first impressions are.
The box says it's a "Worldwide Famous Brand".

Users who are viewing this thread