What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TV Deals Thread (1 Viewer)

Scotty, any thoughts on buying the offbrand tvs?? I bought an Olevia 42" tv on BF 5 years ago. A year after that Olevia went bankrupt, and then the TV started having issues. Twice I have had to re-soder capacitors into the power board since they kept failing, the TV will randomly turn off, sound goes, image locks.... I am looking to replace it. Obviously name brands cost more.Do you know anything about TCL/Haier/Coby... and their quality??
I have one of those Olevia's and the sound is out. How di you get yours back?That tv has the most maddening setup/adjustment paradigm in the history of paradigms. I was almost glad whne the sound went out and I stuck it in a closet. But it does have a very nice pic.
The amplifier in the TV went kaput, so I run the audio back out to a receiver now. Once I figured that out the sound has been almost fine (I will get a high screeching sound every once in a while, turn off power to TV and restart). The image/power issues remain. A new set of capacitors was $15, it is just a pain to keep taking a 100lb TV off the wall. And the remote is a POS, there are no codes for the comcast remote to control the TV....

https://deals.bestbuy.com//dealoftheday/20121120/deal/01What do you guys think of the above TV? I've been considering the 51 inch plasma for 478 on Black Friday. But this one is 60 inches and looks to be a pretty good tv. Seems like a great price, too?
:goodposting:Looks like a good value. Interested to see what people think.
My concern is that it's LCD. My friends all tell me that you want LED. Plasma seems to be popular on this board.But it's 60 inches! And I don't have to borrow a friend's truck and fight lines. I can order it right now and have it shipped to the house!

Thoughts on this Samsung 51" 1080p Plasma? Available now for $578 at Walmart (also at Amazon, Sears, and Best Buy for $2 more).

I have a space limitation that this one basically maxes out, so spending a little more for a 55" or 60" isn't really an option.

Thoughts on this Samsung 51" 1080p Plasma? Available now for $578 at Walmart (also at Amazon, Sears, and Best Buy for $2 more).

I have a space limitation that this one basically maxes out, so spending a little more for a 55" or 60" isn't really an option.
You can get the 780p model for a hundred bucks less. Either one is probably great. They both get incredible reviews.I'm basically down to the 51 inch plasma or the 60 inch LCD for 699.

I don't see anywhere offering that Toshiba 40 for $179. Is Amazon going to flip the price ON BF? I'd order it right now if i could find that price!

Was planning on the Samsung 43 plasma but it is just for a bedroom and $179 is quite the deal

'zander_s said:
I don't see anywhere offering that Toshiba 40 for $179. Is Amazon going to flip the price ON BF? I'd order it right now if i could find that price!Was planning on the Samsung 43 plasma but it is just for a bedroom and $179 is quite the deal
Best Buy on Black Friday

My son's going to college next year and I wanted to hook him up with a tv he could use in his room and then take to college in August. For those of you with college kids, what size tv do you typically see in the dorms? Probably will be a fairly traditional dorm with two people in 1 room. I'm thinking like 24", sound right?

My son's going to college next year and I wanted to hook him up with a tv he could use in his room and then take to college in August. For those of you with college kids, what size tv do you typically see in the dorms? Probably will be a fairly traditional dorm with two people in 1 room. I'm thinking like 24", sound right?
We got my son a 32" for his dorm room... works fine... could actually be a little bigger.

We got my son a 32" for his dorm room... works fine... could actually be a little bigger.
32"? I thougth that would be too big. That's sounds like a good size, thanks.

'Disco Stu said:

Just bought this. Setting it up tonight.

I wanted a 60 inch LED. Guy said Plasmas were better for darkly lit apartments like mine. I'm in a basement apartment.

He then talked me out of the 60 inch plasma because he said it may be too big for my place.

These guys must get a bonus when they sell one of these. I went from buying a 1200 dollar tv to a 580 dollar tv, :loco:

32"? I thougth that would be too big. That's sounds like a good size, thanks.
32" LCD seems to be the standard dorm room TV nowadays.

'Disco Stu said:

Just bought this. Setting it up tonight. I wanted a 60 inch LED. Guy said Plasmas were better for darkly lit apartments like mine. I'm in a basement apartment.

He then talked me out of the 60 inch plasma because he said it may be too big for my place.

These guys must get a bonus when they sell one of these. I went from buying a 1200 dollar tv to a 580 dollar tv, :loco:
:hifive: Let me know how it looks.This would be my first plasma. I'm not too worried about sunlight in that room, but the lamp my gf always wants to leave on could be an issue.

'Disco Stu said:

Just bought this. Setting it up tonight.

I wanted a 60 inch LED. Guy said Plasmas were better for darkly lit apartments like mine. I'm in a basement apartment.

2nd best TV deal in the 50-55" category. I see nothing but great reviews. Looked good on the wall at Best Buy as well.

'UOFI_316 said:
Scotty, any thoughts on buying the offbrand tvs?? I bought an Olevia 42" tv on BF 5 years ago. A year after that Olevia went bankrupt, and then the TV started having issues. Twice I have had to re-soder capacitors into the power board since they kept failing, the TV will randomly turn off, sound goes, image locks.... I am looking to replace it. Obviously name brands cost more.Do you know anything about TCL/Haier/Coby... and their quality??
I have one of those Olevia's and the sound is out. How did you get yours back?That tv has the most maddening setup/adjustment paradigm in the history of paradigms. I was almost glad whne the sound went out and I stuck it in a closet. But it does have a very nice pic.
The amplifier in the TV went kaput, so I run the audio back out to a receiver now. Once I figured that out the sound has been almost fine (I will get a high screeching sound every once in a while, turn off power to TV and restart). The image/power issues remain. A new set of capacitors was $15, it is just a pain to keep taking a 100lb TV off the wall. And the remote is a POS, there are no codes for the comcast remote to control the TV....
I've tried audio out with a soundbar with no success. I guess its not the sound amp on mine. Glad I go it cheap.

Sears website just says you can start shopping online tomorrow. I've never shopped online on BF. Do I have to be F5'ing right at 8PM hoping to get a TV? I assume there's limited quantities, just like the stores?

Sears website just says you can start shopping online tomorrow. I've never shopped online on BF. Do I have to be F5'ing right at 8PM hoping to get a TV? I assume there's limited quantities, just like the stores?
Move your mouse cursor over the "Thanksgiving Doorbuster" at the top of the page....it starts tonight at 8pm Central Time.

Move your mouse cursor over the "Thanksgiving Doorbuster" at the top of the page....it starts tonight at 8pm Central Time.
:hifive:
:lmao: I called customer service just to make sure and some random lady name Zinger who at some point seemed to have an Indian dialect on second then only to speak clearly in English in another, confirmed that the BF is available online and it starts tonight. LOL, I'm not sure what just took place we'll find out tonight and it looks like they have free shipping for anything over $49 bucks or you can pick it up. Now I'm wondering if this is for members only.........but it would have said so on the site I'd imagine.Anyway this is a no-brainer while the guppies will be standing in long lines at Walmart and Best Buy, the Hawks will be hitting up the sweet deals at Sears.Giddy up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That Panny is only 720P, FWIW. Not sure if it matters to anyone searching these deals, but figured I'd point it out. Great price if you aren't hard up for 1080P. Give me Plasma all day over LCD/LED.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. @ 50", is 720 - 1080 noticeable? I do watch a lot of sports, and the room is pretty well-lit.

:lmao: I called customer service just to make sure and some random lady name Zinger who at some point seemed to have an Indian dialect on second then only to speak clearly in English in another, confirmed that the BF is available online and it starts tonight. LOL, I'm not sure what just took place we'll find out tonight and it looks like they have free shipping for anything over $49 bucks or you can pick it up. Now I'm wondering if this is for members only.........but it would have said so on the site I'd imagine.Anyway this is a no-brainer while the guppies will be standing in long lines at Walmart and Best Buy, the Hawks will be hitting up the sweet deals at Sears.Giddy up!!
So we can all try to buy the 5 they have in a warehouse tonight at 8 online. I predict a server crash at 7:58 when everyone tries to get on first.

That Panny is only 720P, FWIW. Not sure if it matters to anyone searching these deals, but figured I'd point it out. Great price if you aren't hard up for 1080P. Give me Plasma all day over LCD/LED.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. @ 50", is 720 - 1080 noticeable? I do watch a lot of sports, and the room is pretty well-lit.
720P/1080P will be most noticeable on any true HD feed. Namely Blue Ray. Sports is going to be a big difference in the Plasma vs. LCD/LED. Movement is much more fluid on a Plasma vs. an LCD/LED. At this price point, I'd be willing to be there's a lot of judder or jerkey movement on the LCD/LED. The only thing LCD/LED has over Plasma is the brightness factor. If you're in a brightly lit room or a room that gets a ton of sunlight, it can wash out the Plasma. I don't know if that specific Panny has a filter, but the filters have come a long way to combat that. Our Samsung Plasma is in a fairly bright room and has a stunning picture./plasma fan

720P/1080P will be most noticeable on any true HD feed. Namely Blue Ray. Sports is going to be a big difference in the Plasma vs. LCD/LED. Movement is much more fluid on a Plasma vs. an LCD/LED. At this price point, I'd be willing to be there's a lot of judder or jerkey movement on the LCD/LED. The only thing LCD/LED has over Plasma is the brightness factor. If you're in a brightly lit room or a room that gets a ton of sunlight, it can wash out the Plasma. I don't know if that specific Panny has a filter, but the filters have come a long way to combat that. Our Samsung Plasma is in a fairly bright room and has a stunning picture./plasma fan
Thanks!

Thanks!
:goodposting:

So we can all try to buy the 5 they have in a warehouse tonight at 8 online. I predict a server crash at 7:58 when everyone tries to get on first.
I'll see you there! :pics:

Free shipping only applies to mailable items. Don't think a 50" TV will fit in my mailbox.

Free shipping only applies to mailable items. Don't think a 50" TV will fit in my mailbox.
It'll fit in mine!!!!

TCL uses Samsung panels for the most part, good quality TV. I have no opinion on the other two but reviews and in-store picture quality seem that they are best suited for elderly or a kid....someone that just wants to HAVE a tv.
I have a 40" TCL. From what I understand, TCL used to make panels for Samsung before they started making TV's under their own name. Samsung now partially owns TCL. It's a quality set (not top of the line suff) for a good price.

Do plasma sets still all have the glossy glass screen that is really prone to glare? Are there any tricks to reduce glare, other than putting it in a room without direct/bright lighting?

Victor Cruz can catch it for me

From Amazon

LG 3D TVs Include 6 pairs of 3D glasses

Summary of TVs/Pricing:

47"

LG 47LM8600 3D 1080p 240Hz Dual Core LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV ~~ $1200

LG 47G2 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Google TV ~~ $885

LG 47LM6200 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV ~~ $750

LG 47LS5700 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV ~~ $700

Panasonic TC-L47E5 60Hz LED-Lit TV ~~ $650
I'm starting to think that 47" LM6200 might be the TV for me. Unfortunately the price has gone up a little. Anyone see it for less than Amazon's $834?And any thoughts? LG's version of 3D sounds pretty good. "2012 Best Mid-Range LCD TV"

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this thread just for the deal nerds who are going to spend 48 hours outdoors camping for deals, or can I find like a regular old online deal in here? I need to buy a ~46" TV for my dad, but I don't want to give up two days of my life.

Is this thread just for the deal nerds who are going to spend 48 hours outdoors camping for deals, or can I find like a regular old online deal in here? I need to buy a ~46" TV for my dad, but I don't want to give up two days of my life.
Sears.com Get ready to rumble.... :boxing:

When/how? Do I have to be up at 12:01:01 or something Thanksgiving night?

When/how? Do I have to be up at 12:01:01 or something Thanksgiving night?
Now.
Nothing showing for me.

I ahve the plasma 50" samsung in my cart, but can't seem to pull the trigger to buy.

Think I'll wait for a 60" LCD

Users who are viewing this thread