What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (5 Viewers)

Also, was it clear to you guys that his granddaughter's 5 million was confiscated?
It wasn't the whole $5M, but of course.
I'm not so sure of that. It was already full from the prior visit, so he wasn't loading it. They never saw him loading it and I'm not sure that it could be subject to a warrant just because he has a key. The box is unlikely to be in his name. But that's irrelevant, and we'll likely never know.
I think it's relevant to the whole "point" of the show. Money gone = going "bad guy" doesn't have its rewards and Mike ultimately failed at his goal.

Money still there for girl = Mike's "breaking bad" had some positive results.
With the money gone and his failure to end Walt when he had the chance, I wonder if he didn't tempt Walt to kill him on some level. I thought for a bit that he was going to go suicide-by-cop at the park. Maybe he knew at his age and with nothing left behind, there was nothing for him to do but die.

Also, was it clear to you guys that his granddaughter's 5 million was confiscated?
I'm not so sure of that. It was already full from the prior visit, so he wasn't loading it. They never saw him loading it and I'm not sure that it could be subject to a warrant just because he has a key. The box is unlikely to be in his name. But that's irrelevant, and we'll likely never know.
I think it's relevant to the whole "point" of the show. Money gone = going "bad guy" doesn't have its rewards and Mike ultimately failed at his goal.

With the money gone and his failure to end Walt when he had the chance, I wonder if he didn't tempt Walt to kill him on some level. I thought for a bit that he was going to go suicide-by-cop at the park. Maybe he knew at his age and with nothing left behind, there was nothing for him to do but die.
Yes, he was going to have himself blown to pieces in front of his granddaughter and a bunch of other little kids. Mike establishing himself as somebody who has no regard for children or survival instinct of his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still a bit confused. I got the impression Walt intended to kill Mike, considering he's a loose end and the feds have him if they find him. But then he was all freaked out like he hadn't intended to shoot him, said that he was sorry and that he realized after shooting him that he could have gotten the nine names from Lydia, making it sound like he killed him because Mike wouldn't give up the names. Can any of those guys ID Walt? Did he intend to kill him? Did he only intend to kill him if he didn't give up the names? Or did he just get all in a huff like a bullied child and lose control and kill him?
Pretty sure he only killed him once he had his tantrum. I'm sure the thought crossed his mind but I doubt he'd want to try taking Mike on in a physical confrontation. He's been too smart for that. Mike would have vanished to wherever had he not pissed off Walt.
Walt took the gun out of Mike's go bag for a reason. So he could have the option to use it.
Sure. It's always good to have options. I don't think it was a top option. More he didn't want Mike to have the option if he wasn't already packing. Plus it's a smart idea for Walt to start carrying a gun. Really don't think Walt was planning on killing Mike (but he definitely planned for the possibility).

Yes, he was going to have himself blown to pieces in front of his granddaughter and a bunch of other little kids. Mike establishing himself as somebody who has no regard for children or survival instinct of his own.
That doesn't mean he wasn't thinking about it at all. That's why that thought only lasted for a bit for me.

When Walt was insulting Jesse; asking him what there was in his life besides go-carts and video games, you get the feeling that would have made for a great knock-down, drag-out fight scene -- if we hadn't already seen it.

When Walt was insulting Jesse; asking him what there was in his life besides go-carts and video games, you get the feeling that would have made for a great knock-down, drag-out fight scene -- if we hadn't already seen it.
Jesse's not going to be manipulated anymore. I liked how that was written.

The impression I got is that they don't cut the meth and that they rely on the quality of the blue meth to justify the price-spike and an increased profit margin (or that somehow in the old style of cooking some methalymine was wasted?).
You're not thinking like a drug dealer.
(they NEVER buy in bulk because they just care about their next high when the price drops rapidly for the higher the quantity) so a 50% mark-up may not be realistic.
This generalization is incorrect, and I'm amazed that somebody could come to this conclusion.
So the expert testimony at meth-sales trials to this effect is just completely stupid?The average poor, drug addict doesn't have the patience to save up and buy in bulk. This isn't a difficult concept.

I have a cool theory, though unlikely, about Hank and Walt.

Like in the Nicholson movie The Pledge, Hank never finds out who Heisenberg really was and never gets closure and it drives him nuts. THey've done a fair bit of showing the horrific side effects of the drug trade, even on law enforcement. There doesn't necessarily have to be a hero moment when Hank gets justified for his obsession.

The impression I got is that they don't cut the meth and that they rely on the quality of the blue meth to justify the price-spike and an increased profit margin (or that somehow in the old style of cooking some methalymine was wasted?).
(they NEVER buy in bulk because they just care about their next high when the price drops rapidly for the higher the quantity) so a 50% mark-up may not be realistic.
This generalization is incorrect, and I'm amazed that somebody could come to this conclusion.
So the expert testimony at meth-sales trials to this effect is just completely stupid?The average poor, drug addict doesn't have the patience to save up and buy in bulk. This isn't a difficult concept.
Not everyone who uses meth is poor. Nurses use meth. Truck drivers use meth. College students use meth. People in these professions don't want to go back to their dealer every day.I wouldn't have taken issue with your dumb statement if you'd qualified your statement.

You watch too much television.

We get that you're a lawyer.Stop flaunting it.

It's a TV show.

Not everyone who uses meth is poor. Nurses use meth. Truck drivers use meth. College students use meth. People in these professions don't want to go back to their dealer every day.I wouldn't have taken issue with your dumb statement if you'd qualified your statement.

This isn't my source, but whatever.

I'm still a bit confused. I got the impression Walt intended to kill Mike, considering he's a loose end and the feds have him if they find him. But then he was all freaked out like he hadn't intended to shoot him, said that he was sorry and that he realized after shooting him that he could have gotten the nine names from Lydia, making it sound like he killed him because Mike wouldn't give up the names. Can any of those guys ID Walt? Did he intend to kill him? Did he only intend to kill him if he didn't give up the names? Or did he just get all in a huff like a bullied child and lose control and kill him?
My impression was that Walt killed him b/c:1. Mike didn't say "thank you" - this is what initially set him off2. Mike didn't give him any credit and basically said his ego ruined everything for everyoneNote that Walt had to go back into the car for the gun, he didn't have it in his pocket.
We didn't see that for sure. I don't recall hearing any car door, he just walked out of frame for a few seconds and then stalked back in. I think he had it on him and instead of walking away, couldn't leave with his ego bruised. He also didn't have the holster for it either, which iirc, the gun dealer told him it was easier to hide the bulge of a gun without the holster. I see no reason why Walt would take the gun but not have it on him. He knows Mike has more than one. If I missed the sound of a car door, then I could be wrong. But the way it was shot it could have been done on purpose to make us wonder either way. I still think that odds are way in favor that he had the gun on him the hwole time.
I agree that Walt had the gun on him when he first approached Mike.
i could have been mistaken. thx

In the latest "Behind the Scenes" video Gilligan himself says he doesn't know exactly why Walt kills Mike and expects it to be the subject of much debate. He likes leaving some stuff like that ambiguous.

I have a cool theory, though unlikely, about Hank and Walt.

Like in the Nicholson movie The Pledge, Hank never finds out who Heisenberg really was and never gets closure and it drives him nuts. THey've done a fair bit of showing the horrific side effects of the drug trade, even on law enforcement. There doesn't necessarily have to be a hero moment when Hank gets justified for his obsession.
i like this, except with Walt telling Hank on Walt's death bed (ultimate ego move)

GPJ knows tings

We get that you're a lawyer.Stop flaunting it.

It's a TV show.
:lmao:

This isn't my source, but whatever.
I am not sure how you infer from criminal testimony that everyone who uses meth only buys enough for what they need right then. You're generalizing people who use hard drugs.Take it easy on the hyperbole, Matlock.

My understanding of Walt going was that Mike didn't expect them to be with Saul, he specifically said on the phone that he only wanted Saul.

I'm sure if he'd known they were there he'd have called one of his boys instead.

I saw it as him being in a huff. His ego was challenged, he got mad, as you saw him storm off-screen, then he went back and shot him. It didn't look like he intended to go there to necessarily kill him. It's almost as if he thought he'd easily get the names, then when he didn't, he reacted badly to Mike's harsh words, lost it, and shot him.

Am I the only one that thinks Skyler is about to erupt? She has been bottling up a lot of anger in these past few episodes and I have a feeling the top is going to blow next week.

Or maybe she just takes the money and kids, and makes a run for it? That would not make for good TV, so I am guessing she does or says something significant about Walts operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike was rattled. He was on a panic when he called saul and then let someone he didn't trust bring the bag. He didn't bother to watch Walter leave but rather turned his back to him. All very un mike like considering how he handled things at chows house and at Lydia's house.

Something keeps gnawing at me....Landry taking copious notes. The "perfect student" scenario just seems too good to be true. It would be a little late in the game to introduce another super villain....but I could see a scenario where Landry works for the cartel, worked for Fring, or in some way is basically just getting retribution on Walt.

Walt's look in the first episode of the season wasn't that of a man with a family. The ultimate curve-ball would be a scenario where Walt's family is wiped out by a mob hit after his recipe is stolen by Landry.

Am I the only one that thinks Skyler is about to erupt? She has been bottling up a lot of anger in these past few episodes and I have a feeling the top is going to blow next week. Or maybe she just takes the money and kids, and makes a run for it? That would not make for good TV, so I am guessing she does or says something significant about Walts operation.
:goodposting: She seems like she's "lost everything". As such, that makes her very dangerous. Walt doesn't even consider her a threat anymore, which might not be the case. Amazing that there are still so many directions the show could go.

Am I the only one that thinks Skyler is about to erupt? She has been bottling up a lot of anger in these past few episodes and I have a feeling the top is going to blow next week. Or maybe she just takes the money and kids, and makes a run for it? That would not make for good TV, so I am guessing she does or says something significant about Walts operation.
yeah, she's gonna blow soon

She is about to burst.She's always been pretty good with coming up with a scheme.

Skyler would be an ANIMAL in the sack right now. (With anyone other than Walt). Just sayin'.
Would that animal be an elephant or pig?
I wasn't a fan but she's got a certain smoldering, MILFY goodness going on when she's disgusted.
Factor in she drinks wine by the bottle now, too. Just sayin.
:goodposting: And Jesse is now a free agent after quietly breaking up with Andrea at Walt's behest. I wonder if that's over yet.

Skyler would be an ANIMAL in the sack right now. (With anyone other than Walt). Just sayin'.
I wasn't a fan but she's got a certain smoldering, MILFY goodness going on when she's disgusted.
:goodposting: And Jesse is now a free agent after quietly breaking up with Andrea at Walt's behest. I wonder if that's over yet.
Yeah, the possibility of that hookup was mentioned earlier.I think Skyler would tear into Jesse like a hot pastrami on rye. But she is likely not his type at all.

Yeah, the possibility of that hookup was mentioned earlier.I think Skyler would tear into Jesse like a hot pastrami on rye. But she is likely not his type at all.
Yeah, Jesse needs a lot of affirmation.Not Skyler's strong suit.

1000 gallons @70% yield = 70% total product x 100% take = profits on 70% product

vs.

1000 gallons @99% yield = 99% total product x 35% take = profits on 34.65% product (so just from those 1000 gallons they make half as much money)
I don't understand why greater purity = greater yield. It should be the opposite. The less pure it is, the more filler there is. It's an inferior product, but they should end up with more of it.That's not to say they can't make more money selling the pure stuff. They can definitely charge a higher price for it.

In any case, your comparison above isn't apples-to-apples. Without Heisenberg, they have to pay their own cooks and acquire their own raw materials. With Heisenberg, they're getting a 35% cut on the yield from 1,000 gallons of methylamine that they don't have to acquire elsewhere. (They do have to pay Mike $5 million for his 333 gallons, but they're getting a cut of the other 667 gallons, apparently worth $10 million as methylamine but worth hundreds of millions when converted to Heisenberg's meth, without having to pay for it.)
What they put on the street is inevitably cut with something else by dealers, at least a couple of times, to increase their own profits. The more pure it is, the more times you can cut it (without sacrificing as much quality), and the more you have on the street. And thus the more Heisenberg (or whomever) can charge for it.I imagine the market for "high-end" methamphetamine is rather small.
I know nothing about meth but aren't Walt and Jesse making just a bunch of crystals? Can you "cut" something that comes in crystal form? I know they cut powder drugs (coke, heroin) with milk sugar or baby laxative or whatever.
A family member of mine used to be in the meth business. Incidentally, his partner (who ended up successfully skipping the country and disappearing, my family member did a bit of time, but not much) was a Chem major from MIT. As such, they were able to put a superior product on the market. Maybe not 99.1%, but much better than what else was out there. We actually talked about this a few weeks ago, and he laughed hysterically in re: to the degree that meth gets cut. So it happens, but I'm not sure about the exact chemical process. Maybe on BB, it's crushed down and sold as powder by the time it gets to the street?

Some quick Google searching says this is commonly used to cut meth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane
Intresting, MSM is very similar to DMSO. I had about a 3/4" stress fracture in my right tibia my senior year and used DMSO to numb the pain. I was able to run the entire X-Country season by using it.

She's one bacon-number away from tossing the cork and drinking from the bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread