What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (4 Viewers)

Of note about the timeline. We know the flash forwards are nine months out. But for the house to be seized and processed and fall in to such disrepair that skaters have taken over the pool and no one notices means the case has been slammed shut in one way or another for some time. I think we are not going to see a long passage of time before Walt and hank settle everything. Like a month or two.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see it spelled right. Just saying it doesn't bother me, even though other seemingly pointless things do. That, and I thought it was Skylar for the first 4 seasons.
It wouldn't bother me so much if the guy named Skylar wasn't such a difficult stuck up person to work with, painful office memories.What order do these characters die if at all?SkylerJessieLydiaTodd (aka Landry).
LydiaJessie

Skyler

Todd standing over a dying Walt saying Heisenberg is the final scene.
I'd say Jessie before Lydia, just a hunch. I like your take on Todd, kind of a rebirth of the drug cycle. I was going to put Saul in this list, but I think he has a spinoff so that is probably pretty telling that he lives.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see it spelled right. Just saying it doesn't bother me, even though other seemingly pointless things do. That, and I thought it was Skylar for the first 4 seasons.
It wouldn't bother me so much if the guy named Skylar wasn't such a difficult stuck up person to work with, painful office memories.What order do these characters die if at all?SkylerJessieLydiaTodd (aka Landry).
LydiaJessie

Skyler

I think something like this is going to happen. I think Todd aka Landry may be smarter than he appears. Doing your best Verbal Kint without all the dramatics could be a win if you're playing the long game. Dude is already ruthless i.e. killed a kid and has criminal backing. All he needs is the formula. What up D.O.C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_JM94I__s

Page after page of discussion.... this thread is always at the top of page 1. Awesome. I don't remember anything close to this leading up to the final episodes of The Sopranos. And the beautiful thing is, nobody knows nuthin'. This could go in a million different directions, all of them potentially satisfying.

LydiaJessie

Skyler

Todd is God

Unless the last 7 are completely horrible, BB clearly overtakes The Wire as the best all-time.
Not possible
What hurts The Wire in this contest is the utterly ridiculous plot line where....

McNUTTY fabricated the story about a serial killer/sexual deviant preying on the homeless.
Those were cringe-worthy episodes.
"Cringe-worthy" is a little strong.

One character, the one that's always been the biggest loose cannon on the show, made a very questionable decision. Everything that followed made sense (well, except the reporter) and was written well and entertaining. For the most part, still up to Wire standards.

Season 5 of The Wire is no worse than all the screen time watching Skyler and Jesse mope, Marie shoplift, and Flynn get excited about breakfast.

I'm fine calling either one the best ever (though I lean Wire).

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the last 7 are completely horrible, BB clearly overtakes The Wire as the best all-time.
Not possible
What hurts The Wire in this contest is the utterly ridiculous plot line where....

McNUTTY fabricated the story about a serial killer/sexual deviant preying on the homeless.
If that's all you got The Wire still wins. Because a lot of the characters were based on real life people in The Wire.

Can you even pick a "worst" Breaking Bad episode? Many folks hate Fly, a bottle episode without much action, but I think it was underappreciated. It's as close to a perfect television show as we've seen.

Yea I didn't hate the magnet episode but that was the one time I kind of cringed about an episode plot. Just seemed really ridiculous to me.

Yea I didn't hate the magnet episode but that was the one time I kind of cringed about an episode plot. Just seemed really ridiculous to me.
It was ridiculous and I ####### hate bumper sticker jargon, but that tangent was worth it if only for the magnets, ##### line. Simultaneously rolling my eyes and laughing doesn't happen very often.

Page after page of discussion.... this thread is always at the top of page 1. Awesome. I don't remember anything close to this leading up to the final episodes of The Sopranos. And the beautiful thing is, nobody knows nuthin'. This could go in a million different directions, all of them potentially satisfying.
As great as The Sopranos was, it had some real lulls in storytelling during its run. Breaking Bad hasn't had any. That's one of the many tributes to its greatness.

As great as The Sopranos was, it had some real lulls in storytelling during its run. Breaking Bad hasn't had any. That's one of the many tributes to its greatness.
The long, long waits between an 8 episode 'season' is the lull.

The Sopranos started so strong that I kept watching and waiting for it to reach that peak again. It never happened right up to the black screen. There isn't a single episode of BB that I wouldn't watch a 2nd time.

Loved The Wire. It was the first series that got me into TV series. It was #1 up until I got into BB. If I have to recommend one series for someone to watch, it's BB.

I didn't watch all of the Sopranos, but I'd think part of it is the extra 20-25 episodes.

Wire and BB both right at 60 episodes, with loads of story to tell.

I really don't know that it would even be possible to crank out 85+ episodes and still be a real contender for best series ever (I'm assuming nobody seriously still considers Sopranos the best ever).

It's part of the problem that prevents The Shield from being up there too, I think.

It makes Lost and 24 seem much farther from the discussion than they otherwise might've been, though both obviously had other issues too (massive number of episodes just exacerbated those issues).

The Sopranos started so strong that I kept watching and waiting for it to reach that peak again. It never happened right up to the black screen.
Fair point. The Sopranos' best seasons were the first two (with a strong comeback in season 5 with Buscemi) and BB seems to be the opposite. The first two seasons were nice, and the past three have been mind-blowing.

I didn't find 5A to be much of a lull.

Magnet and bugging Hank's office were eye-rollers, but certainly not enough to derail the freight train (pun might be intended).

In 8 episodes, we got the full Walt/Mike struggle over the business, a train robbery and, you know, a kid getting killed right after, Jesse/Skyler dinner, a million great Lydia scenes, the greatest montages in the show's history including the badass prison slaying.

Then they put a cherry on top with Hank's crapper revelation.

Not much time for lulls (as long as you fast forward through every non-Jesse Skyler scene).

Magnet and bugging Hank's office were eye-rollers, but certainly not enough to derail the freight train (pun might be intended).

In 8 episodes, we got the full Walt/Mike struggle over the business, a train robbery and, you know, a kid getting killed right after, a million great Lydia scenes, the greatest montages in the show's history including the badass prison slaying.

Not much time for lulls (as long as you fast forward through every Skyler scene).
Skylar running Lydia off the lot was actually pretty great. Lydia obviously viewing Skylar as an unknown quantity, but somebody who is obviously on the inside.

In 8 episodes, we got the full Walt/Mike struggle over the business, a train robbery and, you know, a kid getting killed right after, Jesse/Skyler dinner, a million great Lydia scenes, the greatest montages in the show's history including the badass prison slaying.

Not much time for lulls (as long as you fast forward through every non-Jesse Skyler scene).
:goodposting:

5a was friggin spectacular from start to finish.

In 8 episodes, we got the full Walt/Mike struggle over the business, a train robbery and, you know, a kid getting killed right after, a million great Lydia scenes, the greatest montages in the show's history including the badass prison slaying.

Not much time for lulls (as long as you fast forward through every Skyler scene).
Skylar running Lydia off the lot was actually pretty great. Lydia obviously viewing Skylar as an unknown quantity, but somebody who is obviously on the inside.
Yeah, it looks like we're getting a new, interesting Skyler in 5B.

LydiaJessie

Skyler

Jesse

hth

I didn't like this episode a ton the first time I watched it, but it got much better on second viewing. First, I love the junkyard guy. Second, Walt's overconfidence up front about saying it will work because he says it will work and then almost screwing the whole deal up because he ignored everyone's advice and just threw the switch to 11 when Jesse was trying to get him to bail at the end were good TV. Ultimately, he's still a screwup despite it all.

drummer said:
Raider Nation said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Not possible

If that's all you got The Wire still wins. Because a lot of the characters were based on real life people in The Wire.
Trying to compare The Wire to Breaking Bad is like trying to compare a documentary to a graphic novel. Both series' were wildly successful at what they set out to do. People may be inclined to downgrade BrBa beacuse it isn't as serious of a work and as ultra-realistic as The Wire. I think that would be a mistake. They are both at the pinnacle.

drummer said:
Raider Nation said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Not possible

Trying to compare The Wire to Breaking Bad is like trying to compare a documentary to a graphic novel. Both series' were wildly successful at what they set out to do. People may be inclined to downgrade BrBa beacuse it isn't as serious of a work and as ultra-realistic as The Wire. I think that would be a mistake. They are both at the pinnacle.
Not to knock BB, but The Wire is the work of David Simon and Ed Burns, who have not only used their backgrounds in Baltimore with The Wire, but also The Corner. The Corner was a novel by both, and Homicide: Life on the Streets is a novel by Simon. I agree that you can't really compare between both series, yet The Wire has a lot more real life baked in than BB.

That being said, BB is a fantastic show. It's terrifically shot, mixed, acted, edited, written, etc. BB along with Mad Men breaks the barrier of only HBO and Showtime producing a groundbreaking series without having to subscribe to them.

Raider Nation said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Not possible

I try to pretend season 5 doesn't exist and would still take seasons 1 through 4 of the Wire over any stretch of BB.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Zow said:
Watching the Pilot episode. I think Walt is driving Jesse's original "Capn" car.
It's a beater car the gun guy supplied him. Walt didn't even know which car it was until he hit the button to lock/unlock it. The gun was already in the trunk.
gotcha. I've still somehow not seen this scene. I missed it when I watched that episode last year.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Zow said:
Watching the Pilot episode. I think Walt is driving Jesse's original "Capn" car.
It's a beater car the gun guy supplied him. Walt didn't even know which car it was until he hit the button to lock/unlock it. The gun was already in the trunk.
gotcha. I've still somehow not seen this scene. I missed it when I watched that episode last year.
Walt has enough money to ask for any kind of car he wants

he pulled up in a volvo and away in a red Cadillac

Pinkman drove a red Monte Carlo and then a Red Toyota Tercel...his current car is red, as well

Interesting that Walt's not exactly stealing back into town in the dead of night, and a town where he's gained a fair bit of notoriety at that. He's not exactly worried about being seen, even though he makes a transaction for an M-60. That would lead one to infer that he's on some sort of suicide mission where he doesn't care if he's captured/killed. But, who knows.

The Wire and BB are obviously close.

Rewatchability? I'd give the nod to The Wire. More characters. More layered.

But I have no hesitations recommending BB to anyone. The Wire? Somewhat recommend it to a more discerning viewer.

A 19-year-old sorority chick would love BB. The Wire? Not as likely.

BB deserves points for being accessible to everyone. For that reason I'd give the nod to BB over The Wire.

All the comparisons between Walt and Gus at this point. Wonder if Walt poisons everyone with the ricin similar to how Gus poisoned the cartel. I know it has been pointed out that the ricin is not fast acting. The ricin has been focused on so much it has to have a big role to play.

All the comparisons between Walt and Gus at this point. Wonder if Walt poisons everyone with the ricin similar to how Gus poisoned the cartel. I know it has been pointed out that the ricin is not fast acting. The ricin has been focused on so much it has to have a big role to play.
He dumps it into Flynn's Corn Flakes, IMO.

The fact that ricin is not fast-acting would play better too.

The fact that ricin is not fast-acting would play better too.
And you'd never even realize he's been affected.

But I have no hesitations recommending BB to anyone. The Wire? Somewhat recommend it to a more discerning viewer.

BB deserves points for being accessible to everyone. For that reason I'd give the nod to BB over The Wire.
I'm not disagreeing with this. I agree but I don't know why.

I'm not disagreeing with this. I agree but I don't know why.
This should not be a major factor but if we are splitting hairs I think it's important.

Users who are viewing this thread