Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

For anyone who missed Talking Bad last night: Aaron Paul said that what Jesse always wanted was some guidance. He wanted a father figure- at first, he thought Walt was the father figure, but that didn't work out, and then he saw Mike as his father figure, which is why he was so upset that Walt killed him. Paul indicated that there is no way Jesse will ever be reconciled with Walt after Mike's death.

Anna Gunn said that the writers anticipated that her character might be disliked by the fans, because the audience were supposed to root for Walter White from the beginning- the viewers were supposed to want to be like him- not to want to cook meth, but to break free of his constraints, tell people off, etc. Skyler over the first few seasons acts as his inhibitor to this.

All in all it was very insightful stuff.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read here. And I'm fully caught up on the Trump thread. 

Even the baby's acting in this show was top notch. 

They still advertising Low Winter Sun?

In the pantheon of BB episodes, this one certainly won't even break the top 20. But the scenes between Hank-Skyler and Skyler-Marie were tremendous and WILL be memorable scenes. This is the episode where the family falls apart, so it's more of an emotional episode than an action-packed episode. I thought the tension was tremendous, especially when they started fighting over the baby. Seeing a family torn apart was tough to watch, and I thought Marie and Hank played the part great. Hank in particular looks broken.

I may be the only one, but I'm just not a big fan of the Lydia/Todd side story, and I'm a bit worried about that as we get to the end. In a show with so many great enemies/allies for Walt, like Gus Fring and Mike...Lydia seems like a weak antagonist to head to the final showdown with. But at this point, it's too late to introduce a new one. The final confrontation can only logically be Jesse, Hank or Lydia and Todd.

I think anyone was going to be a letdown after the Fring buildup. The thing I appreciated about this episode is that they managed to consolidate the three potential bad guys into a single entity while only taking a few minutes away from the main protagonists.

For anyone who missed Talking Bad last night: Aaron Paul said that what Jesse always wanted was some guidance. He wanted a father figure- at first, he thought Walt was the father figure, but that didn't work out, and then he saw Mike as his father figure, which is why he was so upset that Walt killed him. Paul indicated that there is no way Jesse will ever be reconciled with Walt after Mike's death.

Anna Gunn said that the writers anticipated that her character might be disliked by the fans, because the audience were supposed to root for Walter White from the beginning- the viewers were supposed to want to be like him- not to want to cook meth, but to break free of his constraints, tell people off, etc. Skyler over the first few seasons acts as his inhibitor to this.

All in all it was very insightful stuff.

You wonder if Hank could become that father figure....Hank is actually a good guy, and it does seem that Jesse is crying out for a positive force in his life.

I thought it was interesting that Skyler didn't at all appear scared of going to jail but rather much more concerned with losing the money. With both Hank and Marie she was given multiple chances to get out of this nightmare. But she didn't even consider taking the opportunity, instead waiting up til the middle of the night when Walt came home to talk to him about how Hank just has suspicions and if they keep quiet he won't be able to prove anything.

I didn't see it this way. I think as soon as she sat down with Hank and placed the tape recorder down, she knew that if she said anything wrong; she'd be done. Same with not actually saying anything to Marie (just crying)....she knows that if this thing somehow goes to trial she's toast.

I thought it was interesting that Skyler didn't at all appear scared of going to jail but rather much more concerned with losing the money. With both Hank and Marie she was given multiple chances to get out of this nightmare. But she didn't even consider taking the opportunity, instead waiting up til the middle of the night when Walt came home to talk to him about how Hank just has suspicions and if they keep quiet he won't be able to prove anything.

I didn't see it this way. I think as soon as she sat down with Hank and placed the tape recorder down, she knew that if she said anything wrong; she'd be done. Same with not actually saying anything to Marie (just crying)....she knows that if this thing somehow goes to trial she's toast.

I agree. She would have been an idiot to start talking there. A lawyer was her only option.

I agree. She would have been an idiot to start talking there. A lawyer was her only option.

That was a great scene. You could just see her processing the situation in her head and coming to the conclusion to get out of there and not say anything until talking to Walt.

That was a great scene. You could just see her processing the situation in her head and coming to the conclusion to get out of there and not say anything until talking to Walt.

Plus, as many have pointed out, Hank completely overplayed his hand. I think he had her until he reached for the recorder. I'll have to re-watch to confirm that, but when he reached for that recorder, she immediately realized that she needed to get outta there.

Plus, as many have pointed out, Hank completely overplayed his hand. I think he had her until he reached for the recorder. I'll have to re-watch to confirm that, but when he reached for that recorder, she immediately realized that she needed to get outta there.

Yep. Instead of coming across like her sympathetic brother-in-law, he came across as a headstrong cop who only wanted to nail Walt.

Yep. Instead of coming across like her sympathetic brother-in-law, he came across as a headstrong cop who only wanted to nail Walt.

Yeah, that was definitely a difference maker. Talking to a family member compared to being on the record will do that.

He started to remind of me of Walt in that scene. Obsessed and manipulative.

From Talking Bad last night:

Vince Gilligan is very tight lipped about the remaining episodes, but he did show a photo from next week.
It was of Skyler and White sitting at a table in a restaurant. And there were four place sittings like they were waiting for somebody
My money is on Marie and Hank.

Am I the only one who was surprised at how quickly Marie and Hank turned on Walt? If they supposedly love family SO much, wouldn't they both have to take time to process the entire situation? Tends to make me believe that they've never really cared for him.

Think about it. You find out someone in your family was a criminal....would you immediately write them off and want to see them burn?

Edited by doowain

Vince Gilligan is very tight lipped about the remaining episodes, but he did show a photo from next week.

It was of Skyler and White sitting at a table in a restaurant. And there were four place sittings like they were waiting for somebody

or Lydia and Todd...or Hank and Jesse

It is finally dawning on Skylar that Walt's badness is really a twisted attempt to provide for his family when he succumbs to cancer.

Am I the only one who was surprised at how quickly Marie and Hank turned on Walt? If they supposedly love family SO much, wouldn't they both have to take time to process the entire situation? Tends to make me believe that they've never really cared for him.

Think about it. You find out someone in your family was a criminal....would you immediately write them off and want to see them burn?

I understand what you are saying but you are looking at it from a neutral and rational perspective - you are lacking the emotion involved. The betrayal, the immorality, the shooting of Hank, watching your sister in law try to drown herself, your neice and nephew, etc

Edited by The Dude

or Lydia and Todd...or Hank and Jesse

Hank and Jesse would be :$:

She's standing by Walt and respects him now.

I'm not sure she respects him but she definitely loves all the money and doesn't want to give it up.

He started to remind of me of Walt in that scene. Obsessed and manipulative.

I noticed that too. Perhaps that'll be one of the storylines going forward - Hank becoming more and more like Walt and the potential damage that could cause.

I understand what you are saying but you are looking at it from a neutral and ratioanle perspective - you are lacking the emotion involved. The betrayal, the immorality, the shooting of Hank, watching your sister in law try to drown herself, your neice and nephew, etc

Right. Plus, it's not like Walt was shoplifting at the local Wal-Mart; he was selling meth and killing people. To Hank and Marie, Walt is someone they thought they knew, but they have discovered that they really don't. And when you consider that Hank went through being shot and almost dying, something that is becoming clear was somehow tied to Walt, it makes them turning on him that much easier.

• Like 2

I know everyone on my wife's side of the family would.

It is finally dawning on Skylar that Walt's badness is really a twisted attempt to provide for his family when he succumbs to cancer.
I think Skiilur has known for sometime that if Walt goes down, she's going down with him, it's as simple as that.

I know everyone on my wife's side of the family would.

:goodposting:

Ever been married, doowain?! My wife's family tolerates me because I'm married to their sister/daughter/cousin/niece...but if they all of the sudden learned I was some type of criminal? I'd be the devil incarnate in their eyes in about 0.63 seconds. ;)

Edited by datonn

I don't see it that way.

1. From Hank and Marie's perspective, they think stopping Walt (then Skyler once they realize she's a part of it) is protecting the family.

2. Both might've gone the route you seem to be thinking of as protecting the family (letting it go away quietly with assurances that the involvement has stopped. Hank's questionable (he did bust up Walt's left eye), but Walt turned into Heisenberg and eliminated the option. Same with Marie, until Sklyer stonewalled and Marie realized that Skyler was motivated to help Walt get away with it.

3. Hank's not so clear cut, as Skyler noticed, he wants to catch Walt at all costs, which is understandable. His motivations can quite easily be couched in protecting Skyler and the kids.

It'll be very interesting to see how Hank's motivations manifest themselves over the next 6 episodes. Walt and Hank both say they want to protect their family, but we know they are both also have a maniacal drive for another goal (Walt to feel significant and Hank to catch Walt). We know what Walt will do to reach his goal. I'm curious what Hank will do. I suspect he'll be given the choice to do some rather unseemly things in the process.

He's also now in a similar predicament Walt found himself in during the pilot. He's got nothing left to lose anymore.

Edited by pollardsvision

Maybe it's because I live in the crowded Northeast, but is the desert so expansive that you can drive out there, stay there all day digging a hole, and well into the night w/ car headlights on, and see nobody?

Maybe it's because I live in the crowded Northeast, but is the desert so expansive that you can drive out there, stay there all day digging a hole, and well into the night w/ car headlights on, and see nobody?

yes

She'd still be incriminating herself, and after she gives Hank what he wants, she doesn't have any bargaining chips. There's only so much Hank can do. Once they take him off of the case, due to major conflixts, she's at the mercy of a federal prosecutor with no chips to cash.

That lottery ticket is worth more than any winning ticket

Yet so unnecessary.

+34° 59' 20.00", -106° 36' 52.00"

Click link above and then zoom out until scale is 50 miles = 1 inch. If you drive off of the road far enough I think the answer is "yes".

Not sure I'm buying Hank's "if I tell the DEA now, my career is over; but, if I wait and find proof, I can say that I caught him" logic. Even if somebody else finds the silver bullet, seems like he'd still get a ton of credit in helping to solve the case if he brings in what he has now.

So did Hank go in to work to tell what he suspects? Seems like he was going to take that chance.

He seemed torn and probably changing his mind second to second, but yes, moving the budget meeting back seemed to imply he was going to tell.

The interrogation of Jesse, I'm sure, will affect whether or not he actually follows through with it. I hope he does, but he probably won't. Drama pretty much can't exist without people, especially cops, doing dumb things.

Edited by pollardsvision

Not sure I'm buying Hank's "if I tell the DEA now, my career is over; but, if I wait and find proof, I can say that I caught him" logic. Even if somebody else finds the silver bullet, seems like he'd still get a ton of credit in helping to solve the case if he brings in what he has now.

Yeah, I didn't like Hank going down that road, but it's nice that they have Marie their to be the voice of the audience and the voice of reason.

Whether he still listens or not is still up in the air.

On another show, I know he doesn't tell. On BB, there's still reason to believe they can get to the drama without doing what every other show does.

Also, one point I wish Hank would've brought up (with Marie) was that, aside from the career suicide, even if he somehow kept his job, he'd be taken off the case.

Minor point, but I would've thought Hank cares more about catching Heisenberg than his career at this point. I would've thought that's what he'd say.

That much is still implied, I guess, but I would've thought being taken off the case would be one of his first worries.

Edited by pollardsvision

I understand what you are saying but you are looking at it from a neutral and ratioanle perspective - you are lacking the emotion involved. The betrayal, the immorality, the shooting of Hank, watching your sister in law try to drown herself, your neice and nephew, etc

Right. Plus, it's not like Walt was shoplifting at the local Wal-Mart; he was selling meth and killing people. To Hank and Marie, Walt is someone they thought they knew, but they have discovered that they really don't. And when you consider that Hank went through being shot and almost dying, something that is becoming clear was somehow tied to Walt, it makes them turning on him that much easier.

And the phone-call that Marie was hurt that resulted in Hank beating the crap out of Jesse and being disciplined. Hank mentioned that specifically in the garage scene.

And the phone-call that Marie was hurt that resulted in Hank beating the crap out of Jesse and being disciplined. Hank mentioned that specifically in the garage scene.

Also at this point for all they know, Walt called the hit in on Hank.

I don't see it that way.

1. From Hank and Marie's perspective, they think stopping Walt (then Skyler once they realize she's a part of it) is protecting the family.

2. Both might've gone the route you seem to be thinking of as protecting the family (letting it go away quietly with assurances that the involvement has stopped. Hank's questionable (he did bust up Walt's left eye), but Walt turned into Heisenberg and eliminated the option. Same with Marie, until Sklyer stonewalled and Marie realized that Skyler was motivated to help Walt get away with it.

3. Hank's not so clear cut, as Skyler noticed, he wants to catch Walt at all costs, which is understandable. His motivations can quite easily be couched in protecting Skyler and the kids.

It'll be very interesting to see how Hank's motivations manifest themselves over the next 6 episodes. Walt and Hank both say they want to protect their family, but we know they are both also have a maniacal drive for another goal (Walt to feel significant and Hank to catch Walt). We know what Walt will do to reach his goal. I'm curious what Hank will do. I suspect he'll be given the choice to do some rather unseemly things in the process.

He's also now in a similar predicament Walt found himself in during the pilot. He's got nothing left to lose anymore.

I'm not saying that their conclusion to turn him in is wrong. I'm just floored at how quickly that switch flipped.

From an interview with Betsy Brandt (Marie)-

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/breaking-bad-betsy-brandt-on-maries-discovery.html

One curious thing for me: Marie tries to take Holly away, but what about Walt Jr.? Doesn't she want to protect him too?

Oh, yeah, yeah [laughs]. She wanted to take them both.

Well, where is he? What has he been up to?

Mmmmm, you to have to see. I promise, all the things that I'm not telling you, you won't be disappointed. There's an answer. No stone unturned in the last eight episodes. There are no loose ends.

Implying there is big Flynn development coming?

Edited by Ned Ryerson

From an interview with Betsy Brandt (Marie)-

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/breaking-bad-betsy-brandt-on-maries-discovery.html

One curious thing for me: Marie tries to take Holly away, but what about Walt Jr.? Doesn't she want to protect him too?

Oh, yeah, yeah [laughs]. She wanted to take them both.

Well, where is he? What has he been up to?

Mmmmm, you to have to see. I promise, all the things that I'm not telling you, you won't be disappointed. There's an answer. No stone unturned in the last eight episodes. There are no loose ends.

Implying there is big Flynn development coming?

He switches from Bacon to Sausage for Breakfast

This particular criminal has put them through a lot of personal pain and grief as well as the noteriety and crimes against the public. And who has stood by and watched and misled and manipulated Hank at every turn. It's far, far more than finding out your BiL robs liquor stores.

Maybe if Hank wasnt a DEA agent who Walt's crimes didnt directly affect

So did Hank go in to work to tell what he suspects? Seems like he was going to take that chance.

That was pretty clear. It's why he was telling Gonez to cancel the scheduled meeting and get a conference with the boss that had previously told him to drop it. Only Pinkman being in custody stopped it.

He has NOTHING now. If he tells the DEA now, his career is over and Walt walks away a free man. If he waits to find proof, his career is still over but at least he caught Walt. Then Marie said what if they figure it out before you get a chance to tell them, that can possibly incriminate you and it seems like that was the direction Hank was gonna take. Spill the beans so he is not incriminated... that is until Jesse showed up in his holding tank.

Has anyone thought of the possibility that somehow Walt gets the police to think that Hank is trying to frame him?

Maybe using Marie trying to steal the baby as evidence for motive? How about Hank already getting disciplined for attacking Jessie? Walt gets Jessie to say that Hank beat him trying to coerce him into farming Walt.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Has anyone thought of the possibility that somehow Walt gets the police to think that Hank is trying to frame him?

him to

Maybe using Marie trying to steal the baby as evidence for motive? How about Hank already getting disciplined for attacking Jessie? Walt gets Jessie to say that Hank beat him trying to coerce him into farming Walt.

I doubt Walt can get Jesse to do anything for him right now