What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (2 Viewers)

the whole Todd/Lydia scene was incredible. They are both truly evil. (I guess that's the moral of the show, everyone is evil except Hank and Jesse)
Pretty sure Jesse would qualify as evil. He made a conscious decision to put a bullet in Gale's head.
I don't think that the moral of Breaking Bad has anything to do with who is "truly evil" or not. Breaking Bad is not the type of show that casts people as "good" or "evil" based on a black and white spectrum like that. Breaking Bad recognizes that most people have components of both good and evil within them. That fact has allowed Walter White to remain a relatively sympathetic anti-hero in spite of all of the terrible, seemingly unredeemable things that he has done over the course of the show. Hank is also a blend of both good and bad character traits. He has a fiery temper that he is unable to control at times, such as when he brutally assaulted Jesse Pinkman following the fake phone call. Hank can be a condescending jackass to those around him, including his DEA associates, family, and his own wife Marie. I'm not saying that I think that Hank is "evil," just that he is a combination of both good and bad traits just like most, if not all, humans in reality.

I do not think that the moral of Breaking Bad will be defined through the traditional lens of a struggle between "good" and "evil" -- as the reality of humanity is much more complex and nuanced than that. If anything, I think the meaning of Breaking Bad will be more defined by the internal struggle of one's own good and evil elements rather than any external conflict between "good" and "truly evil" characters.
No, most of the characters in this show are evil by any reasonable definition. This isnt a shades of grey thing.

You could make the case that only "evil" decision Walt has made is staying in the meth business when he was able to get out. Really, it might be the only thing that makes Walt evil is that he actually likes the feeling he gets as a result of all this chaos.

Every other decision was probably the most logical decision given the circumstance, and most often, downright self-defense.

The non-defense heinous acts were to keep his freedom. It's probably evil to trade another man's life (or 9 of them in 2 minutes) for your own freedom and a financial fortune for your children, but I'd bet far more people would do that than would like to admit.

Jesse's done a lot of the same things, but he's just not as cut out for it. His motivation for being in the meth business just isn't as strong as Walt's, and at times, he's been very lucky to have someone on his side willing to do what needs done (or talk Jesse into doing what needs done).

It's a real testament to BB that fans think of Walter White as one of the more evil characters in TV history when he's really a pretty normal dude that just happens to like feeling significant (also perfectly normal).
Doing what's in your immediate self interest regardless of its ethical ramifications is basically the definition of evil.

It's good for the plot and all, but Hank could put that BS to rest in two minutes by taking a polygraph test.
Uh, no.
Huh?

Q: Did you force Walter White to cook meth?

A: No
Polygraphs <<< mountains if evidence to the contrary.
Hanks a sociopath. Threatening to kill a family and kidnaping children. One who does that would have no problem passing a polygraph.

It's good for the plot and all, but Hank could put that BS to rest in two minutes by taking a polygraph test.
Uh, no.
Huh?

Q: Did you force Walter White to cook meth?

A: No
Polygraphs <<< mountains if evidence to the contrary.
There is enough circumstantial evidence (ie the money for Hank's treatment) that can be proved to throw enough doubt

Users who are viewing this thread